daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #221
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groningen NL View Post
But the signs are temporarily, so it's not that much of a problem.
Good point Invite you to the championship here, tourists like you may make me less affraid that it will become complete disaster

Though everything should be ready for the championship, I don't know what to think about needs of people from Western Europe.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #222
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

People from Western Europe expect this:

so anything better will be wonderful.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #223
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
People from Western Europe expect this:

so anything better will be wonderful.
I remember seeing soviet vehicles like the one pictured inside Kiev as recently as ten years ago.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #224
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKeR_ View Post
Good point Invite you to the championship here, tourists like you may make me less affraid that it will become complete disaster

Though everything should be ready for the championship, I don't know what to think about needs of people from Western Europe.
I think people from Western Europe don't know what to expect when it comes to Poland, it is a unknown country. Everybody who watched the news recently got the picture that Ukraine is an 'evil dictatorship', but when it comes to Poland, we (the Dutch) only think about cheap construction workers
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #225
Knyaz

Likes (Received): 4357

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I remember seeing soviet vehicles like the one pictured inside Kiev as recently as ten years ago.
I doubt it.
Knyaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #226
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I remember seeing recently more than one in Romanian towns, so in the EU...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #227
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groningen NL View Post
... when it comes to Poland, it is a unknown country ... cheap construction workers

Oh boy, oh boy! You should get out a bit more.
The only comment that comes to mind must run along these lines 'Wat de boer niet kent, dat eet hij niet'.

I could just about put up with your comments and lack of awareness some 25 years ago but today in 2012 your remarks are no longer appropriate, politically correct or in any way justified; I look upon your words with ill-disguised derision and cringe with utter disbelief that there is anyone left in today's Europe holding such views.

I encourage you to go to your local library, pick up a travel guide or two and read up on Central Europe and the people who live there.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #228
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post

The only comment that comes to mind must run along these lines 'Wat de boer niet kent, dat eet hij niet'.

I could just about put up with your comments and lack of awareness some 25 years ago but today in 2012 your remarks are no longer appropriate, politically correct or in any way justified; I look upon your words with ill-disguised derision and cringe with utter disbelief that there is anyone left in today's Europe holding such views.

I encourage you to go to your local library, pick up a travel guide or two and read up on Central Europe and the people who live there.

I don't think you understand it. First of all, it was not what he thinks, but what the public in the Western Europe thinks.

Secondly. I can assure you, that the majority of the public in the Western Europe has really little or no clue nor are they interested as to the situation anywhere east of Germany and Austria for many of them is it unknown place or for some it can at best be uncivilizied/poor part of Europe threatening to take their jobs and wages (Hic sunt Leones).

The situation is bit different with the younger generation and more educated people. But anyway most of them dont give a shit about the people that live there (in Eastern Europe).
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #229
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I don't think you understand it. First of all, it was not what he thinks ...
I respect your opinion but I beg to differ. We all get fed tripe and trash by the media, some of which sticks and shapes our own view of the world. An average person externalises their own views as the general view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Secondly. I can assure you, that the majority of the public in the Western Europe has really little or no clue ...
Trust me, I have a pretty good insight into how an average 'Westerner' thinks and I would say that on balance it is a pretty even keel. As times goes on and appreciation of other European nations grows, I would expect all Europeans to treat everyone with respect and without prejudice founded in stereotypes from an era that is long dust upon the wind.

I don't want to drag this discussion any further, suffice it to say, that I was not so much hurt by our friend's comments but more disappointed and disillusioned that such stereotypes still have place in today's world and I felt I had to react.

I rest my case now and won't be dragged into any further dialogue.

--------------------------

By way of restoring order and bringing the discussion back on topic, here is some practical info for those of you going to Poland by road, courtesy of GDDKiA:

Click on the image and you'll download a useful 3-page PDF document (~4MB) written in English, German, Russian and Polish.

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; May 31st, 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: dropped a word
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #230
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:

You misunderstood my comment mate. The majority of people think this way, belief it or not. People dont know anything about Poland, thats why Poland and Ukraine host Euro 2012.

I have been in Poland several times, so I know what the country has to offer
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #231
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Groningen NL is taking your bullshit better then I am. First you deliberately manipulate his statement in his quote, so that it seems that he is a racist, and then you start running your left wing bullshit about how everybody in Europe should be holding hands singing We Are The World. That is very nice, but you are living in a country where a right-wing populist got the most popular vote. Further more, it seems that you are getting your information only from the local library. I travel all over Europe, I do that for a living, and I can tell you that values in life are always different in any country. As for the Ukraine: it is a country where political values are not worth a penny, and where racist hooliganism plays a high role, even to a certain extend, that the British Government has issued a travel warning to all British fans of Asian and African decent visiting the Ukraine.

Maybe you should get out of the library, and travel a bit more and see for yourself.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #232
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That is very nice, but you are living in a country where a right-wing populist got the most popular vote.
Oh, guy, when? (or: how long ago?)

And if you finally took this topic: who, if no right-wing populist, shooked all new EU countries and EU-parliament (with its president - Martin Schulz, German) with his xenophobic site? Worth notice for you is that he was one of the best known politicians from your homeland.

Anyway, I'm quite suprised (and glad) that your negative point of view doesn't concern Poland this time.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #233
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

And if you finally took this topic: who, if no right-wing populist, shooked all new EU countries and EU-parliament (with its president - Martin Schulz, German) with his xenophobic site? Worth notice for you is that he was one of the best known politicians from your homeland.

Anyway, I'm quite suprised (and glad) that your negative point of view doesn't concern Poland this time.
Netherlands, currently. Ever heard of Geert Wilders? He is a right-wing populist in the Netherlands.
Oh, and guess what... I am half Dutch, half English. I only (partly) live in Austria, in a ski-resort
And the Ukraine is having a few problems, in case you missed the news...
Proves you know nothing.
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #234
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Incomprehension machine still works, or somebody is a little bit silly...

I was talking about Geert Wilders. To be honest, I'm not very interested in his previous performances (if you mean them), but something is not ok, if Dutch prime minister shouldn't quit the cooperation with such person just for political interest.

I guess you've meant Jarosław Kaczyński, because there's no another right-wing populist who won some election in Poland during last 20 years.

And I haven't told about Ukraine. I prefer to not criticising it till the end of the event.

Old May 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #235
Road_UK
BANNED

Sorry, you have totally lost me there. I can't even argue with you, I don't know what you are talking about.

In any case, I am not anti Eastern European, some of my best friends are Polish and Czech, and my girlfriend is Russian.
But differences remain between East and West. Some are good, some are bad.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #236
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Road_UK, Majker,

this is what happens where East meets Eest
although I am Polish I share a lot of thoughts with Road_UK.

need to travel/live abroad to find it out
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #237
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

You said:

Quote:
That is very nice, but you are living in a country where a right-wing populist got the most popular vote.
And I answered:

Quote:
Then I asked:

Quote:
Your answer, I guess:

Quote:
Netherlands, currently. Ever heard of Geert Wilders? He is a right-wing populist in the Netherlands.
I've meant Geert Wilders, quite visibly. So I answered you:
Quote:
I was talking about Geert Wilders. To be honest, I'm not very interested in his previous performances (if you mean them), but something is not ok, if Dutch prime minister shouldn't quit the cooperation with such person just for political interest.
I've seen that you don't understand me very well, so I told about his previous activity, because I was not sure if I didn't understand you as well - I've thought you're talking about it.

Then I asked about Kaczyński - because you didn't answer for my first question.

And I've marked that I don't mean Ukraine in my posts - I've begun because you said something about Polish right-wing populist, it intrigued me.

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #238
piotr71

Quote:
(..)even to a certain extend, that the British Government has issued a travel warning to all British fans of Asian and African decent visiting the Ukraine.
As far as I know they mentioned Poland, as well. Also British media is doing a good job, all this Balloteli and Campbell thing really helps. I am just wondering how the Polish government should warn people about an invasion of low minded British hooligans, what steps they should undertake to protect those who are not involved in football at all and will have to experience drunk, noisy and aggressive invaders.

Quote:
Maybe you should get out of the library, and travel a bit more and see for yourself.
I am pretty certain he is quite experienced in travelling.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #239
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

Don't you all exaggerate a little bit? Everyone here knows

Period.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #240
Ismael_D

@Road_UK and @MajKeR_

The misunderstanding between both of You started from this sentence:
Quote:
..you are living in a country where a right-wing populist got the most popular vote.
. I assume @Road_UK meant Netherlands and Wilders while You @MajKeR_ thought he was talking about Poland. Kinda funny how both of You argued where there was almost nothing to argue about.

Cheers.
Ismael_D no está en línea   Reply With Quote