daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #21
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I want to ask a question which could sounds stereotypical. I heard, and also my polish friends said it, that in Poland there's high risk of car theft (especially in the eastern part). Is it true? Better to leave the car into a secure parking or you can also leave it along the road?
Since 2004, the theft rate dropped a lot. I've been several times to Warsaw, Kraków, Katowice, Wrocław and Poznań (big cities) with French license plates & no problem. Before 2004, my radio had been stolen twice, but since 2004, no problem. I'd even say I'm more afraid about my car when parking in France than in Poland now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Now a few words about speed limits.

Yo'll se this rather impresive sign at the border:

The difference between 90 and 100 on normal roads and 100 ans 120 on expressways is as follows:

Higher speed limit applies when the road has at least two lanes in one direction and opposite directions are divided by a barrier or grass.

--------------

Unlike in Western Europe, speed limits are cancelled by every road crossing or end-of-the-limit signs.

--------------

This sign does not implicate build up area and 50 km/h speed limit:

This one does:

-------------

Lights are mandatory 24/7. Day lights possible
@PLH: where did you find that sign ??? The correct sign is this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tsinpoland.png, which is EVEN MORE impressive

& as PLH stated it, the green signs you saw are the administrative limit of a village/town/city. Only the "built-up area" sign implicates a 50km/h (5AM-11PM) or a 60km/h (11PM-5AM) speed limit. Most of the times, the built-up areas begin or end at the same time as the administrative limits (like this: http://opencaching.pl/upload/06C67F4...4737C198D0.jpg)

One more advice: DO NOT EVER drink alcohol and drive in Poland. They allow only 0,2g/L of alcohol in your blood (as in Sweden. France or Germany allow 0,5g/L while in the UK it's 0,8g/L)

UKRAINE: in theory, the entering sign looks like this: http://iv.pl/images/52441350960185763837_thumb.jpg, but I never saw it entering to Ukraine by car

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

What happened in 2004?
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #23
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Poland joined EU?
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #24
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

I don't know if it's because Poland entered EU or because late Kaczyński (as some say) was elected in Warsaw or whatever politics have to do with this. But it's about the time I stopped parking my cars in guarded car-parks (PL-singular: Parking strzeżony), especially in Warsaw.

IMHO, these may be the main reasons:
A) More cameras in the big Polish cities ?
B) More police & the Polish Treasury (fiskus) fighting illegal car-parts selling (especially in markets like near ul.Wolumen in Warsaw) & in the Internet ?
C) An unemployment rate that dropped from over 20% during the SLD (left-wing) governments to around 6% (if I remember well) during the PiS (right-wing) government (part of this dropping due to lots of Poles emigrating to the UK & Ireland, but not only) & around 10% nowadays, which isn't much more than in France for instance ...

Anyway, the result is the same: even having a car on foreign license plates, you're not an attraction anymore. Unless you come with very distant plates like Kazakhstan or Portugal (which I see more & more often there !). Some people even think cars with other EU numbers are cars that have been bought by Poles abroad & will soon have Polish license plates

EDIT: I've also been in Ukraine in 2005 by car (with French license plates). I crossed in Zosin (PL)/ Ustyluh (Устилуг) (UA). Next I went through Volodymyr Volyns'kyj (Володимир Волинський) to L'viv. Next, I went to Luck (Луцьк).

As stereotypical as it may sound, I had to pay a ridiculous fee (15 PLN) at the border when entering Ukraine ("na chokoladu / на чоколаду" as said the customs woman ...) because she helped me with filling the papers to enter the country.
But next - which is much less Ukraine-stereotypical - the police (Мiлiцiя) stopped me around Zhovkva (Жовква) to check my papers. They had a look at my tires & ... let me go, without asking for anything.

I left my (French-licensed) car out of any guarded park during the day in L'viv & ... no worries, no problems !

I also visited Kyiv last year. When stopped by the Мiлiцiя for speeding, no "na chokoladu" either

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 8th, 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Adding something about Ukraine
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #25
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
Poland joined EU?
I don't see the connection with car theft and the join into EU. Rather, the list of Grobin about the possible reasons make a sense.

Grobin, yes you're right, nowadays with a lot of people working abroad cars with foreign license plate aren't an attraction anymore. It's like to spot an italian license plate in Romania or Albania, 70% the driver is not italian but romanian or albanian....
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4625

Quote:
I don't see the connection with car theft and the join into EU.
Well many criminals are in the west so our streets are safer now
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #27
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
EDIT: I've also been in Ukraine in 2005 by car (with French license plates). I crossed in Zosin (PL)/ Ustyluh (Устилуг) (UA). Next I went through Volodymyr Volyns'kyj (Володимир Волинський) to L'viv. Next, I went to Luck (Луцьк).

As stereotypical as it may sound, I had to pay a ridiculous fee (15 PLN) at the border when entering Ukraine ("na chokoladu / на чоколаду" as said the customs woman ...) because she helped me with filling the papers to enter the country.
But next - which is much less Ukraine-stereotypical - the police (Мiлiцiя) stopped me around Zhovkva (Жовква) to check my papers. They had a look at my tires & ... let me go, without asking for anything.
Perhaps it was still necessary to have a visa to enter the country in those days? I can find this statement for 2004: All travelers to Ukraine must have a valid single- or multiple-entry visa before arriving in the country.

That fee was hardly a lot of money.

In any case, there is no visa requirement now for citizens of EU and various other countries.

Edit: from Wikipedia, it seems that negotiations on visa-free travel started in late 2008, and an action plan agreement was announced in late 2010.

Last edited by andy5; December 8th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #28
european_driver

Likes (Received): 27

Many sections of high speed roads was completed in Poland in 2011 . Probably more kilometeres of motorways and expressways will be built in next year. Some map services present obsolete view of road network (for instance Google Maps).
The most truthful view of Polish road network has OSM map (http://openstreetmap.org).
Informations included on this map would be useful during travel to Poland.
european_driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #29
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by european_driver View Post
Some map services present obsolete view of road network (for instance Google Maps).
Yes, I travelled through Poland to Lithuania in July, checked my route with Google Maps just before leaving, and was surprised to find a new section of the S8 open just to the west of Warsaw.

I spotted a new road sign for Białystok just under a bridge, and it seems that some of my friends missed it or followed the satnav more rigorously.
andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #30
Kate.Kuj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klukas View Post
Could someone tell me which would be the best (shortest in hours) road route to reach Poznan from Zagreb, Croatia (Euro 2012). If I got it right there is no direct motorway connection to Poznan from Checz/Slovakia. Thank you!
In my opinion the shortest in hours would be Marbior, Graz, Brno, Praha, Dresden, Frankfurt (Oder), Poznań. Almost all the way on highway. Try to avoid nonmotorways at all cost during Euro2012. Now they are highly congested, i cannot imagine what it will be on Euro2012.
Kate.Kuj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #31
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5 View Post
Perhaps it was still necessary to have a visa to enter the country in those days? I can find this statement for 2004: All travelers to Ukraine must have a valid single- or multiple-entry visa before arriving in the country.

That fee was hardly a lot of money.

In any case, there is no visa requirement now for citizens of EU and various other countries.

Edit: from Wikipedia, it seems that negotiations on visa-free travel started in late 2008, and an action plan agreement was announced in late 2010.
Just after Youshchenko was elected as the President of Ukraine, he put an end to the visa requirement for Westerners. That's exactly why I went to Ukraine in 2005 despite 8 hours waiting to enter Ukraine & 2 hours waiting to enter Poland back. & as Belarus & Russia have still not put an end to visas for Westerners, I have still not been there. Pity, because I'd love to !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate.Kuj View Post
In my opinion the shortest in hours would be Marbior, Graz, Brno, Praha, Dresden, Frankfurt (Oder), Poznań. Almost all the way on highway. Try to avoid nonmotorways at all cost during Euro2012. Now they are highly congested, i cannot imagine what it will be on Euro2012.
I partly agree. The road from Wrocław to Poznań is a pain-on-the neck. But on the other hand, if you go via Dresden, you’ll have a trip around 150-200 km longer…

Last edited by GROBIN; December 8th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #32
jwojcie

Likes (Received): 4016

Quote:
Some map services present obsolete view of road network (for instance Google Maps).
That is very good point, should go on the first page with most usable info
I bet that because some roads will be finished just before Euro many maps in navigators will be even more obsolete...

Quote:
The most truthful view of Polish road network has OSM map (http://openstreetmap.org).
Informations included on this map would be useful during travel to Poland.
On the other hand I'm not so sure about it, this map service tends to be over optimistic. If I remember correctly, this map showed AOW as finished a couple of weeks before it was actually true. But there is probably no worse wide known map service than Google Maps regarding freshness of their data of this part of the world
jwojcie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #33
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
What is more, you must not use the hard shoulder in any case, especially in order to let people behind you pass.
You sure about that?
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #34
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
You sure about that?
According to what I heard, this was a major change 2-3 years ago in Poland. It isn't allowed anymore. It's a pity as it was a way for Poles to be civic, but on the other hand, people whose car broke down, pedestrians & cyclists might be safer ...

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #35
european_driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwojcie View Post
On the other hand I'm not so sure about it, this map service tends to be over optimistic. If I remember correctly, this map showed AOW as finished a couple of weeks before it was actually true. But there is probably no worse wide known map service than Google Maps regarding freshness of their data of this part of the world
In fact sometimes occur mistakes on the OSM, because this map is developing by many users, despite it is very precise. Sometimes someone draw too fast new section of road, but few days later another one correct this mistake. I'm always using this map to plan trip .

Last edited by european_driver; December 9th, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
european_driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #36
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate.Kuj View Post
You might be right, but that's a lot longer than via Brno, Gliwice, and Wrocław, plus getting past Prague can take a long time. My suggestion will be all motorway from Brno to Wrocław. In light traffic, your suggested route would take one to two hours longer than my suggested route. During Euro 2012, your suggestion might be faster.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #37
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
You sure about that?
This does not not apply to tractors, bikes and other slow vehicles - but only when the line is dashed.

In the last few years vast majority of these were repainted into a continious ones and therefore they look just like motorway hard shoulders, which with no doubt cannot be driven on:

PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #38
Sponsor

Quote:
What is more, you must not use the hard shoulder in any case, especially in order to let people behind you pass.
Quote:
This does not not apply to tractors, bikes and other slow vehicles - but only when the line is dashed.
Are you sure? According to regulations, cyclist is obliged to use shoulder when there's no cycling path serving a road. There's nothing about lines

Art.16, ust. 5
Kierujący pojazdem zaprzęgowym, rowerem, motorowerem, wózkiem ręcznym oraz osoba prowadząca pojazd napędzany silnikiem są obowiązani poruszać się po poboczu, chyba że nie nadaje się ono do jazdy lub ruch pojazdu utrudniałby ruch pieszych.
Sponsor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #39
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
You might be right, but that's a lot longer than via Brno, Gliwice, and Wrocław, plus getting past Prague can take a long time. My suggestion will be all motorway from Brno to Wrocław. In light traffic, your suggested route would take one to two hours longer than my suggested route. During Euro 2012, your suggestion might be faster.
If you want to avoid toll fees, go from Brno directly north via Klodzko (in Poland) to Wroclaw. It might take maybe 1 hour longer tough as there is no highway from Brno till the beginning of A8 south of Wroclaw.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #40
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
According to what I heard, this was a major change 2-3 years ago in Poland. It isn't allowed anymore. It's a pity as it was a way for Poles to be civic, but on the other hand, people whose car broke down, pedestrians & cyclists might be safer ...
Quote:

In the last few years vast majority of these were repainted into a continious ones and therefore they look just like motorway hard shoulders, which with no doubt cannot be driven on:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/630...121kopiowa.jpg
Thanks for your replies, guys.
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote