daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #41
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit

Are you saying the aircraft needs time to rest? That is plenty of time to turn a flight. I've see a 744 serviced in 90 minutes.
Oh really? What flight would that be for a very short turnaround time? I mean, what I'm thinking is... If a flight comes in from an 11-hour Transpacific journey, is a 90-minute turnaround (or layover) pretty short?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM   #42
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh really? What flight would that be for a very short turnaround time? I mean, what I'm thinking is... If a flight comes in from an 11-hour Transpacific journey, is a 90-minute turnaround (or layover) pretty short?
I was on CA 985 2 weeks ago, a 744. The inbound was delayed and arrived at 1300. Schedule departure is 1430 and we made that time. Domestic 744 flights in Japan are often turned in less than 90 minutes.

I've been on 744 flights when after arrival and still disembarking, the cleaning crew is coming in the back door. The 787 NH will be flying into SJC is a small aircraft, less than 200 paxs.

Remember, airlines make their money by flying and sitting on the ground does not.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:47 PM   #43
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
I was on CA 985 2 weeks ago, a 744. The inbound was delayed and arrived at 1300. Schedule departure is 1430 and we made that time. Domestic 744 flights in Japan are often turned in less than 90 minutes.

I've been on 744 flights when after arrival and still disembarking, the cleaning crew is coming in the back door. The 787 NH will be flying into SJC is a small aircraft, less than 200 paxs.

Remember, airlines make their money by flying and sitting on the ground does not.
Ah really? Now that is amazing: I mean, a 90-minute turnaround for an Air China 744 because of a delay? Like cleaners boarding the aircraft and cleaning while passengers are getting off... looks like the cinemas have a different policy then: in cinemas, moviegoers are let go first before the cleaners come in. But this? It's like a miracle to see cleaners vacuuming away while the Economy Class passengers are being let off.

And that's true that airlines make a profit from flying, not by staying idle. Yet, for a fast turnaround time from a long-haul flight? I'd better watch a timelapse of that... I would be really amazed to see how airport staff and airline crew help out in cleaning a large plane as the 747 or the A380.

So I would imagine that the 787 would be much easier to clean since it's smaller and carries less passengers than the 777. Yet I still am amazed at the speed of cleaning the aircraft from first disembarkation to departure.

Old October 7th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #44
theskythelimit

How is the remodel of Pier E atSFO going? I flew into SFO last Monday and just saw the foundation standing. I believe the old pier had 10? Gates. Any word if they will add any other gates and will they be wide body capable?
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #45
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
How is the remodel of Pier E atSFO going? I flew into SFO last Monday and just saw the foundation standing. I believe the old pier had 10? Gates. Any word if they will add any other gates and will they be wide body capable?
I surely don't know myself because it is currently closed off from the public. I also wonder if the new renovated pier will be able to handle wide-body jets too because as far as I know, it will be used by US Airways and Air Canada (along with UA) to become a Star Alliance terminal.

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #46
theskythelimit

I was driving to SFO today North on 101 and took the exit for the airport heading to the International Terminal. As I was driving up the ramp near the A-International Pier, I notice construction equipment grading an area.

Anyone have an idea what they plan on building? I heard a couple of years ago there was interest in building a Hotel. There was a Hotel there before the new International Terminal was built.
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #47
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I don't know what's going on at Terminal A (International Hall) with the construction equipment you saw. Let me pay a visit there when I get a chance and have a look.

Old November 25th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #48
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Question: would anyone agree with me sharing my own photos of SFO and SJC airports here to show you my take on both airports? I mean, I have a lot of good photos to share...

Old November 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #49
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's something I haven't seen for some time... A United B747 in old livery:

Plus, nearby is another UA B747 (old livery) and UA A320 (new livery):

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #50
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Ah really? Now that is amazing: I mean, a 90-minute turnaround for an Air China 744 because of a delay? Like cleaners boarding the aircraft and cleaning while passengers are getting off... looks like the cinemas have a different policy then: in cinemas, moviegoers are let go first before the cleaners come in. But this? It's like a miracle to see cleaners vacuuming away while the Economy Class passengers are being let off.

And that's true that airlines make a profit from flying, not by staying idle. Yet, for a fast turnaround time from a long-haul flight? I'd better watch a timelapse of that... I would be really amazed to see how airport staff and airline crew help out in cleaning a large plane as the 747 or the A380.

So I would imagine that the 787 would be much easier to clean since it's smaller and carries less passengers than the 777. Yet I still am amazed at the speed of cleaning the aircraft from first
disembarkation to departure.
I need to add my 0.02c worth...

At no point are the cabin cleaners or catering staff permitted to board an aircraft and commence work with passengers onboard unless there is a scenario beyond their control... Yes, the crew give ground staff either a thumbs up or a thumbs down to crack the doors open but due OH&S reasons... If there is an occasion when the aircraft needs to be turned around quickly the CSM (customer service manager) will direct passengers via one aisle while disembarking to allow ground staff to commence their work...
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #51
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 987

Quote:
Plus, nearby is another UA B747 (old livery) and UA A320 (new livery):

That's an A319.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #52
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah ok. It looks a bit similar to the A320 since UA operates both A319s and A320s. And yes, it is parked at the International Terminal (Terminal G) because UA's Domestic Terminal (Terminal F) could be full at the time.

Old November 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #53
theskythelimit

Quote:
Ah ok. It looks a bit similar to the A320 since UA operates both A319s and A320s. And yes, it is parked at the International Terminal (Terminal G) because UA's Domestic Terminal (Terminal F) could be full at the time.
Or it could be the flight(s) from Mexico, which utilizes the A320/319.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #54
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's also true. It could be either way... Usually, UA utilizes A320s to Mexico, unless an A319 is substituted for services to CUN, MEX, or GDL.

Old November 26th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #55
bewilder2

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
That's also true. It could be either way... Usually, UA utilizes A320s to Mexico, unless an A319 is substituted for services to CUN, MEX, or GDL.
In general, the A319 has one overwing exit, while A320 has two.

(Currently, all US airlines have one-door A319s. Only a handful of A319s have two doors, of which Allegiant is actually acquiring a good chunk of them.)

Quote:
So I would imagine that the 787 would be much easier to clean since it's smaller and carries less passengers than the 777. Yet I still am amazed at the speed of cleaning the aircraft from first disembarkation to departure.
ANA has only 158 seats on the 787, less than almost all 738s in service.
bewilder2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #56
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewilder2 View Post
In general, the A319 has one overwing exit, while A320 has two.

(Currently, all US airlines have one-door A319s. Only a handful of A319s have two doors, of which Allegiant is actually acquiring a good chunk of them.)

ANA has only 158 seats on the 787, less than almost all 738s in service.
Speaking of Allegiant, it will get a lot of used A319s straight from my country of birth: Cebu Pacific, the Philippines' largest low-cost carrier (LCC), is slowly phasing out its A319 fleet to give way to the larger A321 and A330 to start even more international destinations and enhance regional routes. And I wonder if I can spot any Filipino notes left on the aircraft being sold.

As for ANA's 787, really? 158 seats only? Hmmm, I will count that on SeatGuru to confirm it. That's quite a comfortable load given that it is a double-aisle, long-haul aircraft.

Old December 1st, 2012, 01:12 AM   #57
theskythelimit

Quote:
I was driving to SFO today North on 101 and took the exit for the airport heading to the International Terminal. As I was driving up the ramp near the A-International Pier, I notice construction equipment grading an area.

Anyone have an idea what they plan on building? I heard a couple of years ago there was interest in building a Hotel. There was a Hotel there before the new International Terminal was built.
So I found out what the development will be. It will be a temporary over flow lot for parking but the long term plan is to build a Hotel. Being so close to the A-International pier, there will be some great spotting opportunities. But, I hope they will have tripple pane windows to drown out the engine noise at one o'clock in the morning.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?ana=e_ph
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:02 AM   #58
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
So I found out what the development will be. It will be a temporary over flow lot for parking but the long term plan is to build a Hotel. Being so close to the A-International pier, there will be some great spotting opportunities. But, I hope they will have tripple pane windows to drown out the engine noise at one o'clock in the morning.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?ana=e_ph
Woohoo! That'll mean I'll get to see aircraft decently from the rooftop (or I'll need to pay to get a room and do plane spotting), and hopefully, I'll take quality shots of aircraft at Terminal A where international carriers fly in and out of. Hopefully, a similar development can be done for Terminal G because it has a lot of international carriers too.

Old December 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM   #59
theskythelimit

With regards to the Hotel, it was not completely described if the air train will be extended to the hotel directly. Since the train system is automated, they would need a train to go directly to the hotel from the existing system.

There will be no other way to access the hotel from the Terminals unless you run a bus shuttle.
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #60
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

SFO already operates both the AirTrain and the bus shuttles that circulate around the airport, and I think the hotel -- if attached to Terminal A -- may be better off with the AirTrain. However, I wonder where the hotel will actually be located for me to study the possibilities.

Tags
california, northamerica airport hubs, sacramento ca, sacramento international, san francisco, smf, us airports