daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:12 AM   #101
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh right. I remember the YVR-CTU service via Shenyang. But it'll be the first to the United States, true?
Oh for sure. It's definitely a smart move on UA and helps solidify their position as the TPAC market-leader to China (and I mean this based on capacity of one-way seats and not in terms of quality or experience of service).
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #102
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Right. And I hope that UA will use its B787 to expand to even more destinations in Asia, including SE Asia... I mean, yes, the airline maintains a hub in Tokyo–Narita, but I believe that the 787 can allow longer, more direct flights in the long-run.

Plus, it seems like service enhancements will be making their way on select flights to SFO, as American will launch its A321 Transcontinental configuration aircraft from JFK and Delta launching its B737-900ER service from Detroit and Atlanta from November 2013. I'll list the details as I review them... (And p.s. I've sent you a friend request too.)

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:32 AM   #103
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Right. And I hope that UA will use its B787 to expand to even more destinations in Asia, including SE Asia... I mean, yes, the airline maintains a hub in Tokyo–Narita, but I believe that the 787 can allow longer, more direct flights in the long-run.

Plus, it seems like service enhancements will be making their way on select flights to SFO, as American will launch its A321 Transcontinental configuration aircraft from JFK and Delta launching its B737-900ER service from Detroit and Atlanta from November 2013. I'll list the details as I review them... (And p.s. I've sent you a friend request too.)
About time that SFO gets its share of more premium configurations. The difference between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO is a mere 111 miles according to GCMap.

With regards to NRT, both UA and DL (with their hubs) are also trying to reduce their operations/reliance on NRT due to the recent losses in currency with the JPY. Plus, Mainland China at the end of the day has a significantly higher potential in terms of market than Japan, and it makes sense to focus your expansion on direct services. This is going to be an increasing challenge for DL to compete given UAs strong marketshare already; the locations of DLs hubs also do not help. However, DL is ramping up their operations at SEA and is launching more services to the West Coast city. I wouldn't be surprised if ICN and HKG new routes deliver good results that DL may expand into China in cooperation with MU and CZ via SEA.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:42 AM   #104
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's another interesting move for DL to ramp up services from SEA to ICN and HKG, as well as increased flights from LAX... I hope it will also improve and expand services from SFO as it is already served well by UA, and I believe it deserves some competition too, especially for premium services. And by the way, I'm also looking forward to JetBlue's A321 services to SFO as well because it means higher loads and better premium product in flight.

Also, UA is planning to start a daily service between Indianapolis and SFO, and I hope it will be a productive service as well, despite its once-a-day rotation... and I hope other destinations can be hooked up to the Bay Area, if not service enhancements or improvements. If DL opens up a focus city base in SFO, I'd like to see a bolstering of service to the Midwest, the Northeast, and FL, especially now that the airline (along with AA) has expanded such services from LAX.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #105
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 56021

some pics I took yesterday.

image hosted on flickr

2 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

3 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

will101 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #106
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

image hosted on flickr

4 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

5 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

will101 liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:12 PM   #107
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Whoa! You're in my town! What are you doing here?

Yellow Fever liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #108
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

more pics.

image hosted on flickr

1 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

will101 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #109
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

image hosted on flickr

3 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

4 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

fieldsofdreams, will101 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #110
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Starting next May, Norwegian Air will provide service from Oslo and Copenhagen to Oakland using the new 787. The service will operate 5 days per week interchanging between Oslo and Copenhagen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...cost-push.html
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #111
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

To back up the news update you have, here are the proposed schedules for Norwegian's new services to Oakland from Scandinavia starting next Summer:

Stockholm – Oakland: effective 3 May 2014, 2 weekly
DY7067 ARN1630 – 1800OAK 788 26
DY7068 OAK1930 – 1430+1ARN 788 26

Oslo – Oakland: effective 28 May 2014, 3 weekly
DY7063 OSL1600 – 1715OAK 788 135
DY7064 OAK1845 – 1325+1OSL 788 135

Other new flights include services to:

• New York-JFK (from Copenhagen)
• Los Angeles (from Copenhagen, Oslo, and Stockholm)
• Orlando (from Oslo)

Source

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #112
theskythelimit

I wonder if it will be year round service or just seasonal. I am sure the J paxs and *A group will stay with SK out of SFO.

Also to note, all three Bay Area Airports will have 787 service.
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #113
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
I wonder if it will be year round service or just seasonal. I am sure the J paxs and *A group will stay with SK out of SFO.

Also to note, all three Bay Area Airports will have 787 service.
I'd say it'll be a year-round service because there's no indication that the two flights will be operated during the summer only (unless Norwegian updates that those new flights will operate as seasonal summer flights only). And It's pretty cool to hear that once those flights operate, it'll mean the 787 will serve all three major Bay Area airports... That's awesome to hear indeed.

And by the way, with those new flights, it seems to me that flights to Scandinavia will be operated from two Bay Area airports up to nine times weekly (I wonder though if the combined operations will result in a daily, though).

Old September 5th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #114
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

A little preview of SFO from a few days ago... (my apologies if you see those obvious black spots) from my Flickr collection.

Equario, will101 liked this post
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #115
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Looks like United Airlines will be mounting a brand new route out of San Francisco... from 7 January 2014, the airline will operate a daily nonstop service to Indianapolis, the state capital of Indiana, allowing high-tech firms and passengers from the state to fly nonstop to the Bay Area. With this service, on board an A319, passengers can bypass Chicago and Denver and fly straight to the heart of Amish Country and Indy 500. Schedule:

UA317 SFO1335 – 2051IND 319 D
UA500 IND0800 – 1000SFO 319 D

UA500 from Indianapolis begins from 8 January 2014.

Source

Old September 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #116
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

Norwegian coming to Oakland

Well I suppose Oakland's gain in SFO's loss, but it is kind of a shame that flights to Oslo and Stockholm won't be out of SFO (I read that it is actually Oslo and Copenhagen, not Stockholm).

With SFO's loss of LAN flight to Lima also...

...but at least Aer Lingus is due back and United is launching Chengdu.

It just seems like international flights to SFO are more volatile than most (remember VASP to Rio, Alitalia to Milan, Finnair to Helsinki and Icelandic to Reyklavik?)
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #117
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
Well I suppose Oakland's gain in SFO's loss, but it is kind of a shame that flights to Oslo and Stockholm won't be out of SFO (I read that it is actually Oslo and Copenhagen, not Stockholm).

It just seems like international flights to SFO are more volatile than most (remember VASP to Rio, Alitalia to Milan, Finnair to Helsinki and Icelandic to Reyklavik?)
I sense that SFO's international services tend to be a bit more volatile than others, not only because of the presence—and sheer dominance—of LAX, but it relies much more on the business (premium) market (albeit there's also a good share of the leisure market as well) than SoCal that it seems the Bay Area relies much more on high-tech firms than others.

Old September 8th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #118
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Some United Airlines aircraft (also includes United Express) at SFO lately... from my Flickr collection.

image hosted on flickr

DSC08302 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08304 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08307 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08316 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08332 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08362 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08364 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08378 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08380 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08383 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08385 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08387 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08388 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08392 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC08398 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

will101 liked this post
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #119
KeanoManu

Likes (Received): 1423

1. As there seems to be a little confusion: It's Oslo and Stockholm that Norwegian will fly from. Not Copenhagen.

2. Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) has a route between Copenhagen and San Francisco (SFO). Norwegian are a low-cost airline and SAS are a "regular" airline.

3. Business people may stay with the SAS route. But keep in mind that it's fairly big distances between Oslo/Stockholm and Copenhagen. It's also different countries so it is easier for someone from central/north Sweden to fly from Stockholm and for someone from Norway to fly from Oslo instead of going down to Copenhagen first. It's no big difference to go to Copenhagen instead of say Frankfurt if you got to have a stop-over. Copenhagens catchment area include the southern parts of Sweden though.

4. San Francisco is really popular in Scandinavia. I think there's a market for nine flights a week to the region.

bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by KeanoManu; September 8th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
KeanoManu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #120
theskythelimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post

DY chose OAK because they are an LCC carrier and are marketing OAK as San Francisco, think RyanAir.

Airlines come and go and they are in the business of making money. It does not matter what airport, if an air carrier is not making it, it will be cut. Using the examples of carriers above, 1) Vasp no longer in service along with Varig, which also served SFO. 2) Alitalia, in dire straits and financial trouble, 3) Finnair OW carrier and only flies to OW hubs, JFK, MIA, ORD 4) Iceland Air, wrong aircraft, only had 2 767s and were economical on this route. Not to metion the other carriers that come and gone like SU, 9W. Euopean routes outside of LHR, FRA are very difficult from the West Coast that a long and marginal. sFO still carries ~95% of Bay Area flights.

Tags
california, northamerica airport hubs, sacramento ca, sacramento international, san francisco, smf, us airports