daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:59 PM   #161
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

REPORT | Flying the World: CMB-HKG

After a wonderful visit featuring interesting architecture and lovely seafood, my driver took me on an uneventful ride for my red-eye back to Hong Kong. A modern highway connects the airport with the city with no slums or beggars lining the highway. Sri Lanka is a clean and modern tourist destination with friendly people and wonderful food.

My Colombo gallery : http://www.globalphotos.org/colombo.htm

I won't miss the heat and humidity even during the late night hours!

The terminal is an aged facility with security screening before entering a secured area for check-in. Immigration followed in a small room obviously not big enough for the crowds with a bit of chaotic queuing.

Despite the queues, immigration didn't take that long and soon I was upstairs in the departures hall doing some plane spotting. I still remember vividly this airport was bombed by Tamil rebels during the civil war that ended a few years ago, destroying several aircraft.

This part of the terminal is shared with arriving passengers, who exit through another door to clear immigration. Security checks take place at the gate, which I think is very inefficient and a waste to populate so many machines to serve all the gates.

The lounge wasn't anything to boast about. It was packed and there was little food selection. I got a soda and settled into a chair for a bit. I already had a feast at the hotel before leaving so didn't need any more food.

When security checks happen at the gate, it is quite stupid to arrange 2 flights to depart at similar times that share the same checkpoint. Well, the airport authority did just that, and the line barely moved. It was a frustating wait with no priority line for Business Class.

Tonight's flight would be operated by an Airbus 330 with the new Business Class. This is key as I need a lie-flat bed for the red-eye. It's a short flight of 5.5 hours so I know I won't get enough sleep, but a few hours is at least better than nothing.

We departed a few minutes behind schedule and quietly took off. It really makes a difference sitting ahead of the wing with a lot less noise than in the Economy seats.

I don't think a full dinner is needed for a flight leaving just before 1am. I think a breakfast close to landing would have been more appropriate. Nevertheless, I decided to enjoy a midnight snack which would fill me beyond able to sleep afterwards. I opted for my favourite alcoholic drink on the menu - the sweet port wine.

I think mattresses should be provided for all red-eye flights to cushion the lie-flat bed for a proper sleep. It felt a bit weird once the chair turns into a bed as there are separate cushions making up the entire seat which can still be felt.

I was awaken by the pre-landing checks after my short nap. The sun had already risen and we were ready to land in Hong Kong. How I wished the flight would take longer! We arrived at 8:42am, just ahead of schedule. But we parked at a far away gate so it took a while to walk to the people mover for the ride in. Luggage also took some time to come out, which was frustrating once again with inadequate sleep on the flight.

The direct nonstop Colombo service is actually new, as flights used to route through Bangkok or Singapore. My inbound was actually via Bangkok. However, red-eyes of this short length are quite annoying. Even with a lie-flat, it is impossible to get a decent length of sleep with a full dinner served and being awaken early for landing.

The full report : http://www.globalphotos.org/cx610.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Amal liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #162
brick84

SFO Reports Record Passenger Traffic In 2014
February 15, 2015

San Francisco International Airport set another record for passenger traffic last year, airport officials said Friday.

Last year 47.2 million passengers traveled through the airport, setting a passenger traffic record for the third year in a row. Traffic grew 4.8 percent from a year ago.

San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee said the record solidifies the airport’s status as a world-class destination for travelers. He added that the airport is a powerful economic engine in the Bay Area.

The airport generated nearly 36,400 jobs and $6.3 billion in business activity in fiscal year 2013-2014, according to data provided by the mayor’s office. Including related offsite business activities, the airport’s contribution to the Bay Area economy was $35.4 billion in sales and about 155,800 jobs.

Regional Gross Domestic Product for the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward Metropolitan Statistical Area was about $388 billion in 2013, according to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Airport operations also generated $2.5 billion in state and local tax revenue fiscal year 2013-2014.

Airport officials expect the growth in traffic to continue this year, led primarily by increases in international traffic.

In April, Turkish Airlines will start nonstop service to Istanbul. This summer, several airlines will be increasing traffic either through added flights or larger aircraft.

Keith Burbank, Bay City News
http://sfappeal.com/2015/02/sfo-repo...affic-in-2014/

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

theskythelimit, fieldsofdreams liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #163
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

[IMG]http://i62.************/2qnmcdl.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emira...faa38deeb34519

ovnours liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #164
moon993

Likes (Received): 35

Delta 747 at SJC today. Saw these along the way to school this morning.
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #165
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Sorry if I posted this late, but it is official:

Hainan Airlines will fly between Beijing and San Jose

This flight will be operated 5x weekly on board B787-8, from 15 June 2015. Schedule:

HU7989 PEK1430 – 1110SJC 787 x24
HU7990 SJC1310 – 1640+1PEK 787 x24

With this flight, total number of flights operating between Beijing and the San Francisco Bay Area will increase to 19 weekly. This includes a daily service with Air China on board B777-300ER (soon to be upgraded to the B747-8I) and a daily service with United on board B747-400, both to SFO.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

patel2897, diablo234 liked this post
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #166
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52199

San Francisco International Airport by David Oppenheimer, on Flickr

Old May 20th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #167
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I'll tell you my most favorite viewing spot of all when I do plane spotting at SFO: it's at Terminal 2 AirTrain station wherein you get to choose from the following:

- Arriving aircraft on Rwy 10
- Departing heavy aircraft on Rwy 10 (especially the B747s, B767s, B777s, and A380s) - many times, the B787 departs using this runway too
- Departing lighter aircraft on Rwy 1 (the largest I've seen taking off on this runway was a B747 with United Charter, while the largest scheduled passenger aircraft was a B777-200ER with Air France)

In case of inclement weather, all aircraft must depart from Rwy10, regardless of weight, meking T2 AirTrain a prime viewing spot for departing and arriving aircraft. SImply put:

- The northern end provides you a great view point for departing aircraft from Rwy10
- The southern end provides you an excellent sight of taxiing aircraft (from Rwy10 and to Rwy1) and take offs from Rwy1

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #168
will101

Likes (Received): 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I'll tell you my most favorite viewing spot of all when I do plane spotting at SFO: it's at Terminal 2 AirTrain station wherein you get to choose from the following:

- Arriving aircraft on Rwy 10
- Departing heavy aircraft on Rwy 10 (especially the B747s, B767s, B777s, and A380s) - many times, the B787 departs using this runway too
- Departing lighter aircraft on Rwy 1 (the largest I've seen taking off on this runway was a B747 with United Charter, while the largest scheduled passenger aircraft was a B777-200ER with Air France)

In case of inclement weather, all aircraft must depart from Rwy10, regardless of weight, meking T2 AirTrain a prime viewing spot for departing and arriving aircraft. SImply put:

- The northern end provides you a great view point for departing aircraft from Rwy10
- The southern end provides you an excellent sight of taxiing aircraft (from Rwy10 and to Rwy1) and take offs from Rwy1
The entire distance of the outer (counterclockwise) AirTrain ride is a feast for aircraft viewing, until you get to the end of the line, and they make you go all the way down the stairs and back up the other side.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #169
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
The entire distance of the outer (counterclockwise) AirTrain ride is a feast for aircraft viewing, until you get to the end of the line, and they make you go all the way down the stairs and back up the other side.
The end of the line is the Rental Car area. I've stayed on a couple of times and no one ever made me get off. The right side opens for people to exit to the rental car and then the left side opens for the people to return back to the Terminals.
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #170
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

SFO Welcomes Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines officials said the airline plans to launch service at SFO on September 17, 2015, with flights operating seven days per week to the airline’s Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama City. Copa offers connecting flights to more than 55 cities across Latin America through the airport, the largest and busiest in Central America.

Copa flight 209 will depart San Francisco daily at 11:19 p.m., arriving at Copa’s Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama at 8:32 a.m. the following day. The return flight 208, will depart Panama at 9:41 a.m., arriving in San Francisco at 2:54 p.m. Copa will operate a Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft on the approximately 6-hour, 45-minute flight, with premium configuration and seating capacity for 16 passengers in Business Class and 138 in the main cabin.

http://www.flysfo.com/media/press-re...-copa-airlines
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #171
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
SFO Welcomes Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines officials said the airline plans to launch service at SFO on September 17, 2015, with flights operating seven days per week to the airline’s Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama City. Copa offers connecting flights to more than 55 cities across Latin America through the airport, the largest and busiest in Central America.

Copa flight 209 will depart San Francisco daily at 11:19 p.m., arriving at Copa’s Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama at 8:32 a.m. the following day. The return flight 208, will depart Panama at 9:41 a.m., arriving in San Francisco at 2:54 p.m. Copa will operate a Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft on the approximately 6-hour, 45-minute flight, with premium configuration and seating capacity for 16 passengers in Business Class and 138 in the main cabin.

http://www.flysfo.com/media/press-re...-copa-airlines
That is definitely a long time coming. Should be one of Copa Airlines' longer flights out of PTY then, and I suspect that many airlines will get codeshare slots with that flight. As for the flight schedules, that is sheer perfection, with a mid-afternoon arrival (right before rush hour) and a late-night departure (coinciding with the many long-haul departures). I am surprised that the B738 will be used on this run instead of the B737-700... I just wonder if that has enough range to do the whole flight, especially that the distance is a bit further than LAX. The longest B737 flight out of SFO in my opinion would be Cancun, if not Anchorage (seasonal)... this one will break both of those records. And by the way, Copa Airlines tends to mount more flights quickly (if not over time) if it finds a route to be successful... look at what happened with Los Angeles or New York.

Do you think Copa should order larger aircraft to allow longer flights, or is it with flight uniformity that they opted to keep their aircraft types to a minimum?

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #172
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

How heavily used is BART by SFO airport commuters? Especially compared with other rail-connected airports around the world?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #173
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
The challenge I've had when taking pictures from the AirTrain: while it moves, you will have to be really steady to take wonderful aircraft shots, especially if you want to take pictures of those parked at International Terminal G. One of the most difficult shots to take pics of would be aircraft parked at the end of Terminal A since there's no AirTrain service provided to the south side (heading towards Millbrae)... you would need to have a car to take those shots. A most interesting vantage point would be Bayshore Park close to US-101 at Millbrae Ave where you can see landing and departing aircraft at the same time.

My view deck at Terminal 2 AirTrain allows me to view taxiing aircraft from Terminals 2 and 3 to Rwys 01/19 (L and R), as well as taxiing aircraft after arrival towards Terminal 1 and International Terminal A. The main challenge I have with that view: I will need to be vigilant at what aircraft is departing if I want great shots, especially for those flights coming out of T1.

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #174
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
How heavily used is BART by SFO airport commuters? Especially compared with other rail-connected airports around the world?
I don't have numbers but I think it works best for tourists staying in downtown hotels on Market St. or near Union Square.. The problem for locals living in neighborhoods away from downtown and even for tourists staying on Nob Hill or near Fisherman's Wharf is getting to a downtown station and transferring with luggage to a train when the alternative is a reasonably priced shuttle that will pick you up at home or at your hotel.
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #175
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I don't have numbers but I think it works best for tourists staying in downtown hotels on Market St. or near Union Square.. The problem for locals living in neighborhoods away from downtown and even for tourists staying on Nob Hill or near Fisherman's Wharf is getting to a downtown station and transferring with luggage to a train when the alternative is a reasonably priced shuttle that will pick you up at home or at your hotel.
Not to mention, a taxi from SFO to anywhere in San Francisco seems to be fixed at $45... or is it read the meter? And by the way, if you have to travel anywhere along BART, it is more reliable to use than being on the freeway, especially if you have to fight the Bay Bridge during rush hour.

Plus, what many people don't know is that you don't have to pay $8.25 or so to ride BART to San Francisco... you've got alternatives, like:

- SamTrans 292: $2 to SF, $4 from SF, will take you around an hour
- SamTrans KX: $5 fare, will take you around 30 to 45 minutes
- SamTrans 140 or 398 from San Bruno BART: $2 fare, will take you around 10 to 15 minutes (and you save some $ from the Airport fee levied on BART trips)

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #176
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

Great Shots of the San Francisco International Airport it looks very big and majestic, i am a student Pilot and i got to say its fantastic, also i didn't know there are cheaper ways to get to San Francisco besides BART.

I like BART i think it looks fantastic mind you i haven't been to San Francisco before but i hear alot of things about it.

I really want to go there one day and explore all of the Bay Area as much as possible.

Last edited by Brystar27; May 29th, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #177
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Well, you've got me for that job. And by the way, San Francisco is just one city... out of 101 in the San Francisco Bay Area. I can direct you to these threads for more information:

- San Francisco Bay Area Public Transportation
- Travel Questions: San Francisco Bay Area

I can also link you to my website which showcases the myriad of mass transit options throughout the region, not just San Francisco and BART (most of which are my own images). And, you can always PM me or my fellow mod, Cal_Escapee, with your questions about the region.

Old June 8th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #178
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That is definitely a long time coming. Should be one of Copa Airlines' longer flights out of PTY then, and I suspect that many airlines will get codeshare slots with that flight. As for the flight schedules, that is sheer perfection, with a mid-afternoon arrival (right before rush hour) and a late-night departure (coinciding with the many long-haul departures). I am surprised that the B738 will be used on this run instead of the B737-700... I just wonder if that has enough range to do the whole flight, especially that the distance is a bit further than LAX. The longest B737 flight out of SFO in my opinion would be Cancun, if not Anchorage (seasonal)... this one will break both of those records. And by the way, Copa Airlines tends to mount more flights quickly (if not over time) if it finds a route to be successful... look at what happened with Los Angeles or New York.

Do you think Copa should order larger aircraft to allow longer flights, or is it with flight uniformity that they opted to keep their aircraft types to a minimum?
They will probably keep their aircraft types to a minimum. The new Panama City-San Francisco flight is only slightly longer than their flight to Buenos Aires so their existing aircraft should be able to handle that range.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #179
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
They will probably keep their aircraft types to a minimum. The new Panama City-San Francisco flight is only slightly longer than their flight to Buenos Aires so their existing aircraft should be able to handle that range.
So, if I time them right...

PTY-SFO: 7hr 13min
SFO-PTY: 6hr 13min

Huh, can the B738 fly that long number of hours?

And by the way, this is very encouraging...

San Francisco to Regain Qantas Flights from 20 December 2015

This is an excellent news for the Holiday season since this means a return of a duel between Qantas and United, with the former aiming to mount 6 weekly flights between San Francisco and Sydney. The airline is resuming services to Northern California after a 4-year hiatus, in which SFO has been its most popular connecting flight beyond its LAX service.

Quote:
Initially, the flight will operated on peak days (see below) and ramp up to six B747-400 flights a week from January 2016. The new service will cut around four hours of travel time by removing the need to connect through LAX under the existing Qantas/American Airlines arrangements. Currently, only United flies nonstop between SFO and Sydney and its current round trip economy class fares are in the $1,800 range. Business class is $8,000.

The new services form part of an expanded relationship with American Airlines which, subject to approval from regulators, will also see American launch non-stop flights from Los Angeles to Sydney.

Qantas Group Chief Executive Officer, Alan Joyce, said Qantas had a special relationship with San Francisco. “San Francisco was Qantas’ very first U.S. destination when we started our services across the Pacific in the 1950s. It remains a hugely popular destination for Australians and we’re thrilled to be going back after a gap of a few years,” said Mr Joyce.
Read more here

(Note: no flights will be available on 23, 24, 25, and 31 December)

Old June 10th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #180
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Congrats to SFO for getting back Qantas. Qantas must have realized how important SFO was. Maybe some day we could possibly see an A380 on this route when they get enough?
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, northamerica airport hubs, sacramento ca, sacramento international, san francisco, smf, us airports