daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
joamox

Likes (Received): 474

Mexico City

Thought I'd share some photos of a city I suspect most of you are not too familiar with,

Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of fine arts). This building was intended for the 100-year celebration of the Mexican War of Independence in 1910. However, a civil war erupted in that year and construction stopped in 1913. It was finally resumed in 1932 and completed in 1934. The original architect was the Italian Adamo Boari, and his design is similar to the French classical variant of Art Nouveau introduced at the Universal Exposition of 1900 in Paris. Later additions and the interior is in art deco.

HSBC tower and the 'Angel' Column on Paseo de la Reforma. The victory column was erected for the celebrations of Mexican independence in 1910. The HSBC tower was completed in 2006, and is regarded as a landmark in environmental construction in Latin America.

Glass ceiling of the lobby of Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico. The hotel was built as a department store in 1899, known as Mercantile Centre. It was the first building in Mexico to use iron and concrete in its construction. The stained glass in meant to evoke the railroad, a symbol of modernity. One of the facades faces the city's main square, the Zocalo, and follows for this reason a strict neo-colonial design, as mandated to give the square a coherent design. Its main facade, however, faces a seperate street.

Aaw..

One of the doors of the Sacristy on Plaza Mayor (Zocalo). The Sacristy or Metropolitan Tabernacle was built on the north side of the Zocalo, right next to the cathedral, between 1749 and 1760 by Lorenzo Rodriguez.

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Now-and-then photo collection on Mexichino Flickr
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #2
joamox

Glorieta de colon (Reforma). The monument to Columbus was erected in 1877. Behind me should be constructed Torre Santander, which as far as I understand will be 290 metres tall. Old images on the construction site showed that the area used to have a lot of really cool art deco towers in the 1920s and 30s. Why they were demolished I dont know, maybe they were damaged in the earthquake in 1985.

Iglesia de San Francisco. The church is located in the historic centre on the main street Francisco I. Madero. It was built between 1710 and 1716, though the facade was constructed in 1766, possibly by Lorenzo Rodriguez. The church and monastery complex was originally much larger than today, and two earlier churches had to be pulled down because of the soft subsoil. In Aztec times, this was the site of an imperial zoo.

Reforma. The Champes Elysees of Mexico City, the avenue was conceived originally by Emperor Maximillian in the 1860s, a Habsburg Emperor put on the throne of Mexico by the French. The idea was to link his residence in Chapultepec with the historic centre. Buildings like these were built in the late 19th century during the reigh of Porfirio Diaz, though there are few of them left today.

From the Alameda, looking towards the old town. Alameda Central is the oldest public park in the city. It lies adjacent to the historic centre and stretches to Paseo de la Reforma. The buildings around palacio de bellas artes are in art deco or late classical.

Palacio de Correos, Torre Latino Americana in the background. The Main Post office was inaugurated in 1907. It has a very ornate and eclectic style, mixing gothic, plateresque and Venetian gothic, among other features. The architect was Adamo Boari. Torre latinoamericano was built in 1957, as the tallest scraper in the city of that time (183 m).

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #3
joamox

New twin towers on Paseo de la Reforma, Capital Reforma.

Palacio Nacional, The National Palace measures 200 metres long and covers the whole east side of the Zocalo. It is the seat of the exective branch of the federal government. Some of the building material was reused from the previous Aztec palaces. The fortress-like building erected by Hernan Cortez became the palace of the viceroys, but burnt down in 1692. It was subsequently rebuilt with a baroque facade. Several changes have been made since, the top floor was added between 1926 and 1929.

Catedral Metropolitana & Sagrario. The cathedral is built on top on parts of the Aztec Templo Mayor. The original church was erected soon after the Spanish conquest, but the current church was begun in 1573 and only completed in 1813. It has a mixture of renaissance, baroque and neo-classical elements.

Palacio de Mineria: This building was built between 1797 and 1813 and is considered one of the finest examples of neo-classical in the city. The architect was Manuel Tolsa. It was originally built as a headquarters for the mining industry in Mexico.

Bellas Artes and surrounding buildings, Both the postal office and the base of Torre Latinoamericano can be seen here.

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #4
joamox

Panorama

Big Version

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #5
joamox

Buildings on the Zocalo: The two buildings on the south of the Zocalo are called the Federal District buildings. The building to the right was the site of the original city hall from 1532. The current building was built in 1724 and remodelled for the centennial celebrations in 1910, though this work continued until 1930. The new building, on the left, was built between 1941 and 48.

Palacio de correos. Some of the eclectic window frames designed by Adamo Boari in the early 20th century.

Zona Rosa: You often find isolated examples here and there of this type of architecture in places like Zona Rosa, Roma and Condesa.

Coyoacan is a town that has been swallowed up by the metropolis, but which has retained its townish atmosphere. The parish of San Juan Bautista is one of the oldest parish churches in Mexico City. Some of the features from the original church from 1552 still remains.

Catedral Metropolitana. This entrance way is an example of the last phase of the cathedral's construction, in neo-classical by Manuel Tolsa.

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6
joamox

Paseo de la Reforma and the tallest tower in town, Torre Mayor. It is the second tallest building in Latin America at 225 metres. It was completed in 2003.

One of the most distinctive houses in the historic centre: Casa de los Azulejos (House of tiles), from 1793.

One of the remaining villas on Paseo de la Reforma, next to an extensive construction site,

The National Art Museum opposite Tolsa's Palacio de Mineria. It is fronted by the equestrian statue of Charles IV of Spain, also the work of Tolsa. The neo-classical building was originally the palace of communications. The Italian architect Silvio Contri built it between 1902 to 1911.

The Churriguruesque fantasy of Lorenzo Rodriguez.

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #7
joamox

The entrance to the cathedral, it shows the neo-classical elements added by Manuel Tolsa in the beginning of the 19th century.

Casa Lamm Cultural Centre in Colonia Roma. This mansion from 1911 on Alvaro Obregon Street is a popular cultural institute.

This tower, known as El Moro, is the only remaining example of inter-war architecture on Paseo de la Reforma, though it was only inaugurated in 1945. The tower is also known as La Loteria, because the national lottery orgaization was housed in the building at one point.

Calle Francisco I. Madero is the main road through the historic centre, from Alameda to Zocalo.

Last edited by joamox; December 10th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #8
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Very beautiful. This is probably the fourth great metropolis in the Americas, together with NY, LA and BA. (I really don't like Sao Paulo.)
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #9
zaguric2
Hrvatsko Zagorje

Likes (Received): 137

Very big urban sistem!
zaguric2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

Great thread !
I love the descriptions along with the pics !
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Great new thread....beautiful pics from Mexico city.
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #12
joamox

Some bonus photos, not from the capital but from Puebla, which was established as a colonial town midway between Mexico City and Veracruz.

The historic centre is considered a treasure trove of Mexican baroque, and is famous for the decoration of houses in 'Talavera' glazed tiles.

The cathedral has the tallest church towers in Mexico,

Casa de alfeñique, a prime example of the unconventional decoration of many buildings in Puebla. It was built in 1791 by architect Antonio de Santa Maria Inchaurregui. The name indicates the sugarcandy like decoration.

Church of San Francisco, a great example of a church decorated in talavera tiles. It was built between 1550 and 1767.

The cathedral is dedicated to the immaculate conception. Construction began in 1575 and the cathedral was completed in 1690. Works were interupted between 1626 to 1640. Francisco Becerra was originally the appointed architect. Juan Gómez de Trasmonte continued the work from 1640.

Old December 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #13
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3170

Great pics and commentary. Well done.

All the buildings are interesting, but this one really grabbed me. It would look modern if conceived today imho, even with its apparent art deco characteristics.

skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #14
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244844

Amazing, very nice photos from Mexico city
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM   #16
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 414

nice....
and great colonial buildings too.
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:47 AM   #17
Mindtrapper0

Likes (Received): 348

I'm so obsessed with this city right now! Love Mexico City. Great pictures.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #18
DaveF12

Likes (Received): 246

beautiful mix of old and modern buildings.
DaveF12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM   #19
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Stunning photos of one of the world's great ancient capitals.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote