daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #21
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for a dirty license plate here in the US unless it was just plain unreadable, and even then, that's kind of iffy. In the northern states, all cars get dirty because of snow, salt, dirt, etc...

Now there are some states that have laws against having a transparent license plate cover.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #22
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

My aunt received a ticket in Kentucky for her license plate being damaged and one numeral was crushed in and unreadable. It was her responsibility to go to the dmv and get a replacement. I have been pulled over but not fined for snow built up and covering my plate. Cop told me to always clear snow from that area regularly. So I always do now :-)
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #23
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

talking by memory... in Spain, a plate can be seen (with all numbers) while night from 10m away (and 40m if lights on)

nothing about dirty plates, but the number must be easy to read in any case.
In other ways... an automatic system for plates should be able to read it. Otherwhise... fine!!!

I know the case of a person who had a fine because the numbers where a little weared out!. It was one of the cars of his entreprise. He took it for a short trip and fine... it was the entreprise who payed the fine (the responsible to make maintenance) but I think all people in the entreprise learned about it.

What it is harly fined is to put a spray over the plate to avoid radar photos (it seems the same plate, anyone can read the numbers, but any photo will be white in the plate). Police knows which plates have this spray.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #24
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod
What it is harly fined is to put a spray over the plate to avoid radar photos (it seems the same plate, anyone can read the numbers, but any photo will be white in the plate). Police knows which plates have this spray.
Really it works? I though it was an urban legend like the cd hanging from the mirror to avoid radars. But what spray do they use (just a curiosity, I wouldn't risk doing illegal things)?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #25
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

In TV I watched an interview a long time ago. I have never seen anything recently... but it is considered as a really great fault to use the spray.

Using the CD does nothing. The photo will go as easy. I have asked only once a radar photo (I avoided the fine because other matter...) and the plate was really clear. It was a black-white photo but no doubts with the numbers and letters on the plate.

But using a spray the photo will put the plate totally white, even that in the street you can read the numbers with no problem.

It must be a police who takes notice about it... but for example if they make a photo and they notice that number do not appear, be care that they will run to catch you and have a look to the plate.

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #26
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

In Italy fine for illegible plate is 39€.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #27
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Kit anti-radar confiscated in Italy last year
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #28
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
This one should be fined, out of the four.
BTW, was this picture taken at the ÖoB parking in Linköping?

Seems like the fine is 1500 SEK (165 €), as per the text below.

"1 500 konor är ordningsboten om skylten inte är i sådant skick att den lätt kan avläsas eller under färd dold så den inte går att avläsa."
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #29
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9152

These sprays they use make a special layer which is transparent at eye-sight, but is made of these "pearls" they use for reflective road markings, so if a camera flashes, the pearls reflect the light of the flash back, so picture can not be done.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #30
tbh444

Likes (Received): 0

Google catching itself offending on this front:

http://g.co/maps/wx8qj
tbh444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #31
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Really it works? I though it was an urban legend like the cd hanging from the mirror to avoid radars. But what spray do they use (just a curiosity, I wouldn't risk doing illegal things)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
But using a spray the photo will put the plate totally white, even that in the street you can read the numbers with no problem.

It must be a police who takes notice about it... but for example if they make a photo and they notice that number do not appear, be care that they will run to catch you and have a look to the plate.
What were they using for a spray? Hair spray? Evading photo radar detectors has been tested on a couple of shows.

On Police, Camera Action, a police vehicle was fitted out with three plates. The first was sprayed with hair spray, the second had a hard plastic sheet with "diffuser dots" and the last had cling wrap. All three plates were easily picked up by the camera. Even if the color photo comes out blurry, there's always the negative.

Again on Mythbusters, they tried various things to evade the radar. Again, everything they tried, failed, except for the dragster with the helicopter (turbine) engine. The camera just got a blur.
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #32
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
Kit anti-radar confiscated in Italy last year
WTF with this hand-made Polish plates? Why they don't use Italian ones? It may make shame for Poles.

Hand-made, because of lack of the hologram and Polish flag on euroband (Bravo II is manufactured from 2007 and EU-stars on euroband are in Poland from 2006, May 1st).

WH - Warsaw - Praga Północ district.

By dirty or unreadable number plate in Poland you can get a 100 zł fine (it's about 25 euro). Unfortunately, you can't get there third one in city or county council, so Poles often make them by theirselves (e.g. by marker, sticky letters, sometimes with some extra phrase, like "oryginał na pojeździe" - original on vehicle) or order somewhere - then they look like these:

Pics are from www.wptr.pl - this second one I've made by myself.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #33
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

off-topic....

French police catched two terrorist people because they were driving a car with false plates.

The plate was new but... the car wasn't new and the police noticed that a car like that should have to use an older plate number!!!!!!!!

Old December 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #34
italystf

Quote:
off-topic....

French police catched two terrorist people because they were driving a car with false plates.

The plate was new but... the car wasn't new and the police noticed that a car like that should have to use an older plate number!!!!!!!!
That car could be imported recently into France.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #35
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Yes, it could... but it was enough to take police in attention. They wrote the plate number and car model, made a call and they received the information that it was false. Several cars run to catch them and a part of the terrorist group was on jail.

Should the plates be older, maybe the police didn't take care...

Old December 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #36
italystf

Quote:
Yes, it could... but it was enough to take police in attention. They wrote the plate number and car model, made a call and they received the information that it was false. Several cars run to catch them and a part of the terrorist group was on jail.

Should the plates be older, maybe the police didn't take care...
Were they islamic fondamentalists? Were they planning an attack in Europe?
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #37
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

No, they were ETA terrorists, and according to some news a couple of months ago is not going to attack anymore.

Back on topic, as already said, dirty plates are illegal in Spain. They will fine you, and they will remove some points too (I didn't remember how many).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #38
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

I have a question:
Regular cars but so dirty?

Do you guys take your regular cars off-roading to make them get so dirty?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #39
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I have a question:
Regular cars but so dirty?

Do you guys take your regular cars off-roading to make them get so dirty?
hmm, you don't have any dirty cars in the Phillipines ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #40
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9152

They don't have such snowy winters at least, so regular roads are not spreaded with salt+sand+chemicals, that make the roads and therefore the cars so dirty in wintertime...
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote