daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Does South Korea Twin Tower Design Evoke 9/11?

Fast Code Design

Quote:
Do These Skyscrapers Look Like The Twin Towers Exploding? MVRDV Responds

Seoul, Korea - Dutch architects MVRDV describe a pair of luxury residential skyscrapers that they plan to build in South Korea as rising through a “pixelated cloud.” Others say the buildings look like the twin towers exploding on 9/11.

Per commenters on Dezeen : “This is like 9/11 freeze framed. What a bad idea…”; “9/11 inspired ???...very nice..!!!”; “This is better suited as Al-Qaeda headquarter[s].” Or as Gizmodo Australia puts it, in a headline: “What The Hell Were These Architects Thinking?”

Not 9/11, they assure us.

“We are highly surprised by the reactions this design has caused as there was no intention to create a resemblance to 9/11 or hurt anybody’s feelings,” MVRDV spokeswoman Isabel Pagel tells Co.Design.

The architects (who’ve apparently received a spate of threatening calls and email accusing them of being “Al Qaeda lovers or worse”) elaborate on their Facebook page:

The Cloud was designed based on parameters such as sunlight, outside spaces, living quality for inhabitants and the city. It is one of many projects in which MVRDV experiments with a raised city level to reinvent the often solitary typology of the skyscraper. It was not our intention to create an image resembling the attacks nor did we see the resemblance during the design process. We sincerely apologize to anyone whose feelings we have hurt, the design was not meant to provoke this.

[...]

http://flavorwire.com/239693/wtf-of-...that-evoke-911

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

the first time i saw it it reminded me of the supertall in bangkok (MahaNakhon/Ritz-Carlton Residence). Then i read some comments and wondered why people thought it looked like the twin towers on the attack and then i went back and looked at the pictures again and saw the resemblance too. i still like the design though and don't think it's too striking.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The moment I first saw these buildings the South Tower impact came immediately to my mind. It's an incredibly eerie resemblance. I don't think the architects meant them to be 9/11 statues but fact is they are

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10278

Not really.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #5
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

DNAinfo

Quote:
Firm Apologizes for Project that Looks Like Exploding Twin Towers

December 11, 2011 5:11pm | By Sonja Sharp, DNAinfo

MANHATTAN — A celebrated Dutch architectural firm that sparked a firestorm of controversy after it released renderings for a luxury development in South Korea bearing an uncanny resemblance to the Twin Towers on 9/11has apologized for the move.

Rotterdam MVRDV has worked furiously to stem fallout from “The Cloud," portrayed in architectural drawings as two skyscrapers joined at the middle by a billowing mass that, for many, evoked the September 11 terror attacks.

“MVRDV regrets deeply any connotations The Cloud projects evokes regarding 9/11,” the company wrote on its Facebook page, where irate commenters flocked to denounce the project. “It was not our intention to create an image resembling the attacks nor did we see the resemblance during the design process.

"We sincerely apologize to anyone whose feelings we have hurt, the design was not meant to provoke this.”

[...]
Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20111211/down...#ixzz1gIURLfEg
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #6
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Who else but Gawker to deliver the best assessment? http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gawker/fu...n-not-al-qaeda

Quote:
...Got that? These Dutch design nerds were simply trying to evoke a fluffy little cloud in the sky, not a jetliner making impact with a high-rise. It might seem a strange choice, but that's just what design nerds do. They wear black Agnès B. suits and Alain Mikli glasses and love putting weird, squared-off things where they aren't supposed to be. Now everyone just quit hyperventilating — unbutton your pants, crack open a fresh can of Sour Cream & Onion Pringles, whatever — and just chill.

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 327

Nice design, they should build it. In the end almost everything resembles something horrible in history, if we search for negative connotations in every little shape and detail in a building it is almost impossible to make something new. This is just a design with two skyscrapers and a connecting cloud in between, it is no tribute to OBL. What a ridiculous suggestion. Thereby we should take in account that this building will rise in South Korea, somewhere on the other side of the world. Nowhere in sight of New York, so noone has to be shocked in his daily life.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #8
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Has nothing to do with 9/11 to me...
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

It´s so obvious. Nuke em all!
Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #10
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Come on! Doesn't look like 911! Are you serious! It looks like a still framed version of 911 in its entirety!

I say redesign it, and make the towers the same heights, and make the thing in the middle look less like an explosion, more like a platform. No reason the bottom part has to have ground jutting out above it anyway.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 2942

Not really, it's about the renders if you ask me. But well, still not a very interesting project, so nothing is lost.
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #12
arzaranh

Likes (Received): 4

i don't understand how anyone can NOT see the resemblance.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
arzaranh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #13
LeeighIam

Likes (Received): 149

poor taste period. the idea of building such design shouldnt have gone forward this far! insensitive, inconsiderate and disrespectful to New Yorkers and Americans in general...very eerie resemblance, free framed tragic.
LeeighIam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #14
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1108

Americans shouldn't be complaining since they themselves are as insensitive as hell.

I mean, like WTF:
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #15
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrgh View Post
Americans shouldn't be complaining since they themselves are as insensitive as hell.

I mean, like WTF:
Don't go there buddy! That hardy counts, the 4 buildings aren't even connected! With millions of buildings in the US, that kind of mistake is inevitable.

This is blatant disrespect, you have two buildings with a huge blob in the middle, and the buildings are BOXY! ARe you kidding me?
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #16
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19086

Yes, A LOT. What were those people thinking? In addition, it's very ugly.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrgh View Post

I mean, like WTF:

PHOTOSHOPPED!! Where da **** is that bldg even from?
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #18
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
PHOTOSHOPPED!! Where da **** is that bldg even from?
It's not Photoshopped: those are offices for the United States Navy in San Diego. Personally, the fact that this belongs to a branch of the Armed Forces is what makes it even stranger to me.
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Raffo

Likes (Received): 1818

It really does.
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
It's not Photoshopped: those are offices for the United States Navy in San Diego. Personally, the fact that this belongs to a branch of the Armed Forces is what makes it even stranger to me.
In fact, I don't really care that this building looks like a swastika. It really is a very efficient shape for a building. And so is the cloud connecting the two Korean towers. It was probably designed by a mathematical equasion maximizing the window surface while also maximizing the structural strength of the building.

The human brain is trained to recognize patterns they know. Like a drop of ink that looks like a butterfly. But it is not a butterfly. It's a drop of ink.

September 11th was a horrible attack performed by religious maniacs, but please, don't think the whole world is against America "the great". This building is not an Al Qaeda conspiracy nor was it designed to ressemble the attacks.
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote