daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Manneken3000

Likes (Received): 3

I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrgh View Post
Americans shouldn't be complaining since they themselves are as insensitive as hell.

I mean, like WTF:

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #22
No1_Saint

Likes (Received): 18

I can see the connection if you want there to be one. I think it looks like a great design, of course I would hate to be on those terraces when decent gust of wind strikes up there.
No1_Saint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #23
segwaert

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
This is blatant disrespect, you have two buildings with a huge blob in the middle, and the buildings are BOXY! ARe you kidding me?
So what are you saying? we cannot build boxy buildings again, or connecting blobs, for ever? Anywhere on the planet??

Please stop crying. The attack was horrible, but it was ages ago. Now its time to move on.
segwaert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #24
guy4versa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 717

newyork people still trauma..pity them..but i think nothing wrong with that design..newyork also have structure resemble 11/9 tragedy...the memorial(wtc collapse)
guy4versa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #25
arzaranh

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
In fact, I don't really care that this building looks like a swastika. It really is a very efficient shape for a building. And so is the cloud connecting the two Korean towers. It was probably designed by a mathematical equasion maximizing the window surface while also maximizing the structural strength of the building.

The human brain is trained to recognize patterns they know. Like a drop of ink that looks like a butterfly. But it is not a butterfly. It's a drop of ink.

September 11th was a horrible attack performed by religious maniacs, but please, don't think the whole world is against America "the great". This building is not an Al Qaeda conspiracy nor was it designed to ressemble the attacks.
irregardless of the intention that is what it looks like. personally, i'm not offended and i say go a head and build them. just don't tell me that i'm not seeing what i know i'm seeing.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
arzaranh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #26
isdmd10

I can't believe this is a discussion. Forget about the bridge for a second and look at the towers. They are staggered and not squared next to each other like the old WTC buildings, and follow roughly the same proportions by height, width, and square floorplans. The bridge between the two is the real ridiculous part. There could have been more than one. It could have been at the bottom, or at the top. It could have looked less chaotic, or less evocative of an explosion. Whether intentional or not (as if that's a question) there is a clear link to the attacks.

However, I have confidence this horrific building will never be built.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #27
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
It's not Photoshopped: those are offices for the United States Navy in San Diego. Personally, the fact that this belongs to a branch of the Armed Forces is what makes it even stranger to me.
Really? I was born in Laguna Hills and lived a long time on Camp Pendleton! That's probably the base you're referring to! Weird how things come full circle.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #28
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaert View Post
So what are you saying? we cannot build boxy buildings again, or connecting blobs, for ever? Anywhere on the planet??

Please stop crying. The attack was horrible, but it was ages ago. Now its time to move on.
No, I'm saying at least if you want to make two twin towers with a big blob that looks like an explosion, make them non boxy! I don't care, make two hexagons or octagons or circles in general! Honestly if these were two circular buildings it would look cooler anyway. But having a building looking like it's collapsing next to another building with a big blob in the middle is complete disrespect!

And don't you tell me to stop crying! You don't get it do you? I have friends who watched the twin towers collapse, I spend my breaks from college in New York City and I go to Ground Zero on a weekly basis. A set of buildings resembling the twin towers being hit is an absolute slap in the face! Especially when it's in Seoul, a city in South Korea which thousands of Americans fought for to make it democratic. And we continue to have a huge presence in the area! I don't blame it on the Koreans though, I blame it on the designers.
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #29
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

If they best wanted to evoke a cloud, they should've put the deconstructivist cubes at the top of the two towers.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #30
strandeed

Likes (Received): 107

more crappy dutch architecture... it's nearly as offensive without the similarities to 911
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #31
Mr.Ffff

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
In fact, I don't really care that this building looks like a swastika. It really is a very efficient shape for a building. And so is the cloud connecting the two Korean towers. It was probably designed by a mathematical equasion maximizing the window surface while also maximizing the structural strength of the building.

The human brain is trained to recognize patterns they know. Like a drop of ink that looks like a butterfly. But it is not a butterfly. It's a drop of ink.

September 11th was a horrible attack performed by religious maniacs, but please, don't think the whole world is against America "the great". This building is not an Al Qaeda conspiracy nor was it designed to ressemble the attacks.
This. People see what they want to see. Like elvis in a popcorn, jesus in a bubble, etc etc.
Mr.Ffff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #32
guy4versa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 717

just built..no need to listen to america....!its your country..why on earth everystuff need to be control by US?ughh...

Last edited by guy4versa; December 14th, 2011 at 04:52 AM.
guy4versa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #33
sarimanok
Nation Builder

Likes (Received): 76

My answer: No.

Good design.
Anyway, the other tower looks taller than the other. Based on the photo.
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #34
Erran
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 797

LOL, stop this nonsense. None evokes and provokes none, USA is in his insecurity himself.
Build the towers, they look great. Why bother hearing unworthy twitters?
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #35
royal rose1

Everyone's right! Who cares if 3,000 Americans died! So what?

If it was Europeans this would be fought against relentlessly, but since it's Americans it's completely fine! No surprise Dutch people designed it, they could care less about Americans, hell they designed it for 3 months without noticing a resemblance. The ignorance of people across the pond, I swear.
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #36
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 87

Its funny...I saw the design many, many times before and NOT ONCE thought of 9/11 until I read an article about the arch firm apologizing.

Now I can't un-see it..lol. But I still like the design.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #37
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
Nice design, they should build it. In the end almost everything resembles something horrible in history, if we search for negative connotations in every little shape and detail in a building it is almost impossible to make something new. This is just a design with two skyscrapers and a connecting cloud in between, it is no tribute to OBL. What a ridiculous suggestion. Thereby we should take in account that this building will rise in South Korea, somewhere on the other side of the world. Nowhere in sight of New York, so noone has to be shocked in his daily life.
Quote:
Come on! Doesn't look like 911! Are you serious! It looks like a still framed version of 911 in its entirety!

I say redesign it, and make the towers the same heights, and make the thing in the middle look less like an explosion, more like a platform. No reason the bottom part has to have ground jutting out above it anyway.
Quote:

1000% behind with you!!!

Seoul is best alliance with USA. Achitecture is just building. Come down.
I wonder why NYC GOVERMENT allowed to BUILT(PERMISSION) for construction of islam mosque beside "ground zero WTC 9/11?
Is it rational decision?
Don't you first resolved your own problem.
islam mosque beside "ground zero" is OK but cloud in seoul is big problem? What a selfish logic!
Seoul and NYC distance 6882 miles away. Give me a break.
9/11 attack is by idiot islam world not by your best alliance. This is seoul not mecca.
Would you. Don't take out your anger on seoul.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Last edited by inno4321; December 14th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #38
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Quote:
No, I'm saying at least if you want to make two twin towers with a big blob that looks like an explosion, make them non boxy! I don't care, make two hexagons or octagons or circles in general! Honestly if these were two circular buildings it would look cooler anyway. But having a building looking like it's collapsing next to another building with a big blob in the middle is complete disrespect!

And don't you tell me to stop crying! You don't get it do you? I have friends who watched the twin towers collapse, I spend my breaks from college in New York City and I go to Ground Zero on a weekly basis. A set of buildings resembling the twin towers being hit is an absolute slap in the face! Especially when it's in Seoul, a city in South Korea which thousands of Americans fought for to make it democratic. And we continue to have a huge presence in the area! I don't blame it on the Koreans though, I blame it on the designers.
Don't you see the irony here? You "have friends who watched the twin towers collapse". This is something that at the very least you personally have, at best, indirect relations too, and yet it's "so offensive"!

Thousands of people die daily from causes that were preventable- war, thirst, disease, starvation. Where's their soap box to complain about things that ultimately have nothing to do with them?

Our country has been responsible for actions that killed probably millions, collectively, over the lifetime of our country. Hell, we continue(d) to build atomic bombs decades after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Never did the Japanese complain. "Oh, but it was during war time that we bombed them", "they attacked us first". You need a certain inner narrative in order for those to stand as justifications for any particular action, and it's not an narrative riddled by intelligent commentary.

We should be over this by now. Maybe we just need to have a war on our own soil to get over stuff like this.

P.S.- The resemblance isn't even very strong, and like Arrrgh said, you see it if you want to. I didn't notice until it was pointed out, and 9/11 is a special card I have to pull up in my brain to see it now.

Last edited by aquaticko; December 14th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #39
isdmd10

It's amazing how people can just ignore the features of this building that are just too similar to be not be at least evocative if not intentional.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...er_611802.html
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #40
Jaime5798
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

It really does.

Jaime5798 no está en línea   Reply With Quote