daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #41
aquaticko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,981
Likes (Received): 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
It's amazing how people can just ignore the features of this building that are just too similar to be not be at least evocative if not intentional.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...er_611802.html
You're right. It has four flat sides and is tall. Nevermind that the cloud is at a different place on the buildings, which themselves have different heights from one another, and have a different skin, and that the cloud itself is made of boxes not flames and ashes. That they both go out around the middle in a literal/figurative fashion makes them the same....

I don't think anyone has flat out denied any resemblance. I certainly won't (despite the above sarcasm). But that's not the point; the point is that the resemblance doesn't matter. 9/11 can't forever dictate what is okay to do and not do, in any way. Architecture, travel, religion, whatever the f*** the topic is. It's odd that a country that prides itself so strongly, and often in my opinion wrongly, on freedom of expression is so eager to suppress it elsewhere.

And by the way, save yourself some time and never go to the Weekly Standard, for anything, ever.

P.S.- I see this thread "flaming out" in a matter of days.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #42
royal rose1
Registered User
 
royal rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 997
Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Don't you see the irony here? You "have friends who watched the twin towers collapse". This is something that at the very least you personally have, at best, indirect relations too, and yet it's "so offensive"!

Thousands of people die daily from causes that were preventable- war, thirst, disease, starvation. Where's their soap box to complain about things that ultimately have nothing to do with them?

Our country has been responsible for actions that killed probably millions, collectively, over the lifetime of our country. Hell, we continue(d) to build atomic bombs decades after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Never did the Japanese complain. "Oh, but it was during war time that we bombed them", "they attacked us first". You need a certain inner narrative in order for those to stand as justifications for any particular action, and it's not an narrative riddled by intelligent commentary.

We should be over this by now. Maybe we just need to have a war on our own soil to get over stuff like this.

P.S.- The resemblance isn't even very strong, and like Arrrgh said, you see it if you want to. I didn't notice until it was pointed out, and 9/11 is a special card I have to pull up in my brain to see it now.
The very least I personally have is a visit to Ground Zero multiple times a week! And both my parents were in the military when 9/11 happened. I've lost friends to the wars, and both my parents fought in the Middle East as a direct effect of the wars. Want to go on telling me again how I am not connected to this war?

And Japan didn't cry because they bombed us first! You don't punch someone and then cry foul when they punch you back! Are you an idiot? Your logic makes zero sense. And never did the US try to build anything insensitive to those who died in Japan.

A prime example I find is when the Pastor in Florida wanted to burn the Kuran (Please correct me on my spelling, I'm expecting nothing less), and all the people in the Middle East went up in arms sending him death threats. Yet no one was on the American's side! I wasn't either, but it was the same thing, a man thousands of miles away from anyone who truly cares in a free country and everyone cried foul. I hate the double standard the world has against America.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #43
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko

You're right. It has four flat sides and is tall. Nevermind that the cloud is at a different place on the buildings, which themselves have different heights from one another, and have a different skin, and that the cloud itself is made of boxes not flames and ashes. That they both go out around the middle in a literal/figurative fashion makes them the same....

I don't think anyone has flat out denied any resemblance. I certainly won't (despite the above sarcasm). But that's not the point; the point is that the resemblance doesn't matter. 9/11 can't forever dictate what is okay to do and not do, in any way. Architecture, travel, religion, whatever the f*** the topic is. It's odd that a country that prides itself so strongly, and often in my opinion wrongly, on freedom of expression is so eager to suppress it elsewhere.

And by the way, save yourself some time and never go to the Weekly Standard, for anything, ever.

P.S.- I see this thread "flaming out" in a matter of days.
This is such a ridiculous argument. You're denying the similarity because the cloud of apartments isn't built out of flames and ashes? Are you on drugs? The idea that the cloud is in the wrong spot is nearly wrong itself. The render makes it look like it's about halfway up as opposed to two thirds - that difference is negligible and I would say adds to the similarity argument. Deference could easily have been achieved by either moving said cloud or adding more bridges. You also can't argue about a different skin. The offending question is about resemblance not replica. Thankfully and obviously buildings aren't made the same way they were in the 70s.

The problem is you're denying some patent clues. These buildings are rectangular with very similar proportions to the original wtc when they could have at least put a pyramid on top, rounded edges, setback floors, or any number of simple changes. The footprints of these buildings are slightly offset, just like the original wtc. When you take those into consideration the fact the bridge even resembles an explosion connects it to the attacks.

This is not so much about 9/11 dictating what is okay to say. It's about decency and respect for a tragedy that affected the world and that for this reason a building that so strongly resembles the most painful image of that day should not be built.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #44
aquaticko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,981
Likes (Received): 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
The very least I personally have is a visit to Ground Zero multiple times a week! And both my parents were in the military when 9/11 happened. I've lost friends to the wars, and both my parents fought in the Middle East as a direct effect of the wars. Want to go on telling me again how I am not connected to this war? (Sorry for making assumptions based on the information I was given instead of knowing your entire personal history....Of course, you're making the assumption that the wars were brought on by 9/11, which is pretty arguable.)

And Japan didn't cry because they bombed us first! You don't punch someone and then cry foul when they punch you back! Are you an idiot? Your logic makes zero sense. And never did the US try to build anything insensitive to those who died in Japan. (Well, from the perspective of at least some people in the Middle East, we're the ones who punched first; our lifestyle is offensive to them. See why using justification like this is a bad idea?)

A prime example I find is when the Pastor in Florida wanted to burn the Kuran (Please correct me on my spelling, I'm expecting nothing less), and all the people in the Middle East went up in arms sending him death threats. Yet no one was on the American's side! I wasn't either, but it was the same thing, a man thousands of miles away from anyone who truly cares in a free country and everyone cried foul. I hate the double standard the world has against America. (No, I'm sorry, that's not the same thing. The Quran is a religious text, steeped in more than a thousand years of tradition, and is incredibly important to Muslims the world over. The analogue to that is Bible burning, not skyscraper building. It's like you guys expect 9/11 to haunt us forever. It won't. People move on from disaster in order to keep living without going crazy. Most people, anyway. And by the way, it's not the world that has a double standard against America, it's America that has a double standard against the world.)
Quote:
This is such a ridiculous argument. You're denying the similarity because the cloud of apartments isn't built out of flames and ashes? Are you on drugs? The idea that the cloud is in the wrong spot is nearly wrong itself. The render makes it look like it's about halfway up as opposed to two thirds - that difference is negligible and I would say adds to the similarity argument. Deference could easily have been achieved by either moving said cloud or adding more bridges. You also can't argue about a different skin. The offending question is about resemblance not replica. Thankfully and obviously buildings aren't made the same way they were in the 70s.

The problem is you're denying some patent clues. These buildings are rectangular with very similar proportions to the original wtc when they could have at least put a pyramid on top, rounded edges, setback floors, or any number of simple changes. The footprints of these buildings are slightly offset, just like the original wtc. When you take those into consideration the fact the bridge even resembles an explosion connects it to the attacks.

This is not so much about 9/11 dictating what is okay to say. It's about decency and respect for a tragedy that affected the world and that for this reason a building that so strongly resembles the most painful image of that day should not be built. (I'm sorry, how is that not dictation? At least half of the people on here, a place devoted to skyscrapers, did not see the resemblance until it was pointed out. If we did everything in deference to what a small portion of the population was feeling, we wouldn't do anything at all.)
I'm not going to bother arguing this any further. I never said that your opinions weren't understandable, but you don't stand on some moral highground by seeing disaster where it isn't.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #45
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

I think there are two main questions being discussed in this thread and I'd like to give my opinion on both of them:

Do these buildings look like 9/11? Definitely yes! The moment I saw them first I immediately thought about a plane crashing into the South Tower of the WTC. These towers are one big 9/11 statue

Is it disrecpectfull that these buildings are a 9/11 statue? Definitely no! These are just buildings, just because they look like 9/11 doesn't mean that they were built as a tribute to terrorism. People need to get past such superstitions. It is just a pair of innocent buildings, why should superstitions dictate what can be built and what not? Yes, they are eerie, very eerie, but not disrespectfull
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #46
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko

I'm sorry, how is that not dictation? At least half of the people on here, a place devoted to skyscrapers, did not see the resemblance until it was pointed out. If we did everything in deference to what a small portion of the population was feeling, we wouldn't do anything at all.
Does that not mean that the majority of people who posted on this thread are callous, inconsiderate, or choose to ignore these obvious references? Does it matter what a majority thinks in order to recognize something as offensive? And if so, whose opinion counts? The whole world? Only Americans? Only New Yorkers? Perhaps only those directly involved?

The point is that there doesn't need to be a majority consensus for something to be found offensive or for the architects in this case to adjust their plans out of respect. As in the case of this building it's not that any project should be cancelled due to latent offensive overtones, but this is such a scarring, tragic, and still very recent event that prompts understanding and sensitivity.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #47
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto

Is it disrecpectfull that these buildings are a 9/11 statue? Definitely no! These are just buildings, just because they look like 9/11 doesn't mean that they were built as a tribute to terrorism. People need to get past such superstitions. It is just a pair of innocent buildings, why should superstitions dictate what can be built and what not? Yes, they are eerie, very eerie, but not disrespectfull
The only problem with what you say here is the particular moment of the attack that is depicted here. The image of the explosion is particularly scarring and horrific because it is the harsh, offensive action of a terrorist attack. And although it should not be forgotten, this is not the image people want to see or remember. In this respect, it is neither a memorial or a tribute.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #48
toroloco
Registered User
 
toroloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: veracruz
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 1

dont overreact, its just mere coincidence
__________________
uno de los mejores skylines de Mexico
one of the best skylines in Mexico
Rate Veracruz skyline
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1181291
toroloco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #49
motion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,002
Likes (Received): 123

i think it would be incredibly ridiculous to say they do not resemble the twin towers. In fact, i think it would take an oblivious moron to not see the resemblance; however it is an incredibly awful looking building and should not be approved based on its hideousness
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #50
Iluminat
Redsigert User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,459
Likes (Received): 4540

Why would Americans care what they build in South Korea
Honestly I thought this thread was a joke but now when I read all this serious comments it makes me wonder what sort of people are register on SSC this days
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #51
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

I love the building it is ******* brilliant.
Solopop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #52
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mike____'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tervuren/Brussels
Posts: 4,944
Likes (Received): 1038

So many dramaqueens overhere, damn!
__________________
Belgium



Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #53
PadArch
Registered User
 
PadArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 948
Likes (Received): 47

awesome design... f***ing build it!
PadArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #54
toroloco
Registered User
 
toroloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: veracruz
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
i think it would be incredibly ridiculous to say they do not resemble the twin towers. In fact, i think it would take an oblivious moron to not see the resemblance; however it is an incredibly awful looking building and should not be approved based on its hideousness

JAJAJA im not even gonna answer this, except I only wanna say one thing, there was a picture of a looking-like nazi sign in a USA building in which Americans said it is coincidence out of all the thousand of biuldings in the us, why couldnt it be coincidence a building like this in another country out of millions of buildings in the world, he?, and I just wanna be clear I love the United States it has given me a lot and I would hate to death if someone did this with the intention to resemble 9/11 its and offense to the people, but not everything you watch on TV is real so it is only a design that probably the disigner didnt even thought about 9/11 when they made it, just chill.
__________________
uno de los mejores skylines de Mexico
one of the best skylines in Mexico
Rate Veracruz skyline
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1181291
toroloco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #55
Nimaa
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 653
Likes (Received): 3

you Americans are such hypocrites
you've practically bombed half the planet but can't get over one ******* attack that happened a decade ago. Get over it.

And yeah, it does look like the towers, who ******* cares (you Americans obviously do but why should others?)?

What's next, people will have to apoligize for making houses from cards?
Nimaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #56
citypia
future is today.
 
citypia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,031
Likes (Received): 567

People, please caml down your nevers.
Don't argue one another unless you have plenty of time to waste here.
Don't generate bad energy about something relate to south korean towers.

These towers are not going to build!
I read the news articles about this. They changed this design already.

You know, one foreign architect just proposed the rendering of towers for the future and south korean. Nothing more.

Anyway, since when you guys so much care south korean towers? Huh?
As a korean, this is really unusually strange and rare phenomenon to me. Why suddenly you care?
citypia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #57
CF221
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,770
Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
Itīs so obvious. Nuke em all!
great quote
__________________
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #58
motion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,002
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroloco View Post
JAJAJA im not even gonna answer this, except I only wanna say one thing, there was a picture of a looking-like nazi sign in a USA building in which Americans said it is coincidence out of all the thousand of biuldings in the us, why couldnt it be coincidence a building like this in another country out of millions of buildings in the world, he?, and I just wanna be clear I love the United States it has given me a lot and I would hate to death if someone did this with the intention to resemble 9/11 its and offense to the people, but not everything you watch on TV is real so it is only a design that probably the disigner didnt even thought about 9/11 when they made it, just chill.
oh god american wannabe. The swastika was probably not a coincidence either but that was not my point. We are discussing this tower and this tower clearly resembles the former WTC towers i do not even think that is a matter of opinion. it is very clear.
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #59
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
To make matters worse, one MVRDV official, Jan Knikker, was quoted telling the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, “I have to admit that we also thought of the 9/11 attacks.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...#ixzz1ghaPhK1a
So it wasn't a coincidence that these towers resemble 9/11. I can't understand why somebody would want to design so eerie buildings
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #60
inno4321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SEOUL
Posts: 5,331
Likes (Received): 12415


http://sbscnbc.sbs.co.kr/read.jsp?pm...Id=10000343515

Are you happy now?
__________________
Seoul Projects Compilation Blog

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu