daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #1
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 210

National Indoor Arena|King Edwards Road|Redevelopment|U/C

Looks like we have movement and pictures, So felt it was time to make a thread.

Quote:
Broadway Malyan designs the next generation of arena

13 December, 2011

The National Indoor Arena (NIA) in Birmingham’s city centre has unveiled the next generation of arena, as it gets set to undergo a £20.6 million transformation.

The modernisation of the NIA aims to take advantage of its unique location on the city’s canal side and will feature a new showcase entrance straight from Brindleyplace into the arena, with large glazed views over the water and the city.

The work is set to get underway in late 2012 and will include improved facilities and a much greater emphasis on both the pre and post show experience. The flow within the venue will be made much easier, increasing the ease of access and comfort for promoters, artists and visitors to the building. Coupled with this is the new entrance, which will secure the venue as a focal point for the city.

Aidan Ridyard, director at global architecture, urbanism and design practice Broadway Malyan said: “The National Indoor Arena is a project defined by its potential. It is a truly public venue, hosting a remarkable diversity of performance, sports and entertainment, and which brings Birmingham into the consciousness of millions of people around the world. To be chosen to redefine the architectural vision for such a great institution is an honour.

“We are genuinely excited at the opportunity of beginning the reinvention of this pivotal section of Birmingham’s waterfront fabric, and will create a space which embraces this remarkable location, whilst visually celebrating the venue’s innate vitality. We see the new NIA as a waterfront window onto the excitement of the entertainment within and the heritage of our city surrounding it.”

The NIA has been a huge draw for visitors to Birmingham since it was officially opened in 1991 by Olympic athlete Linford Christie. The flexible arena has since gained a global reputation for world-class sports, headline comedy and music, and a diverse range of crowd-pleasing live entertainment.

The improvement work at the venue, which has not been refurbished since its opening, is key to continuing its long term success of the venue. The new design includes further opportunities for retail units with an extra 5,926 m² of pre and post show space added to the 7,500 m² of refurbishment that will take place, ensuring that the new NIA maintains its position as a destination to visit in Birmingham city centre.

Broadway Malyan is a global architecture, urbanism and practice distinguished by its global reach with 15 offices from São Paulo to Shanghai, unrivalled diversity with 500+ sector experts, and distinctive client focus with over 80% of 2010 income from repeat business, and it delivers award-winning cities, places and buildings.

For more information, please contact Chris White, Head of PR on +44 (0)7557 161146
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1213

It needs some sort of big sign on the front so it doesn't just look like an office block.

And maybe a bit less purple.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Nacho

Likes (Received): 53

Yes, I'd like a sign on it too ; maybe something that can incorporate the word 'Birmingham' .Even the relative small sign at Digbeth Coach Station looks very smart .I'm also looking forward to the new New Street Station sign that will run along the wall in the direction of the Bullring .
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Although I'm sure the pictures are indicative at this time. I'm not sure about the retention of the columns, nor the White paving.

I feel it has to respect it's position next to Malthouse etc.

Looks like they are attempting to go the way of the LG Arena with the pre/post event market and it wouldn't surprise if Amplify (the NEC corporate packages company) got in on the act to sell some of these.

I reckon you can forget about the name NIA as well. Cash is king for NEC Group at the moment and with a number of investment companies (specifically the Qatari's) lining up for a piece of the action, the NEC Group has to do what it can to resist, or boost their portfolio for more dosh.

Still it is certainly an interesting (and more ambitious) than I thought it'd be.

Last edited by hoody; December 13th, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 142

The concave glass does not work for me at all.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #6
OutByEaster?

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Looks like they are attempting to go the way of the LG Arena with the pre/post event market and it would surprise if Amplify (the NEC corporate packages company) got in on the act to sell some of these.
Should be - it's all one company and all of the pre and post show hospitality is sold through Amplify as things stand at The NIA.
OutByEaster? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #7
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 129

Looks like they're putting a big electric fence around it?
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Walsh

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutByEaster? View Post
Should be - it's all one company and all of the pre and post show hospitality is sold through Amplify as things stand at The NIA.
certainly is, amplify already sell the package for the olympian suite, boxs and the waterfront
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Walsh

This still needs a spire like the melbourne arts centre :-(
The three skinny spires in the render.. are we thinking about 10-15m in height? They dont seem very eye catching
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 5

The steps are welcome. the entrance is a bit of a mess at the mo. don't see why this has to respect the malthouse - a dull and pastiche building
KHvillan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 182

Lets face it the current building is rather dull and uninteresting, like a giant abattoir (see below).

This new "look" makes it seem far more interesting and exciting, a place you may want to spend time before and after a concert or event (which is their aim I guess).

I dropped someone off at the LG Arena at the NEC a few weeks ago and was amazed at the transformation there, I thought the LG Arena looked terrific.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1235383.jpg
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 314

Money needs to be spent on this complex ... especially the cafe & restaurant scene within it. I think it will finish off the NIA nicely ... albeit 20 years after it was first built!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #13
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

I just can't say I like it. It's great that their making better use of the concourse and seeing the levels from outside look awesome...but the beams look too heavy IMO and this lessens an open and light effect that the glass gives....Another note - Why does the whole facade have to be glass...can't parts that run along the stairwells be covered, whilst viewing areas have glass...could look futuristic.

I'll do a lil photoshopping of my idea...
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #14
feltip

Likes (Received): 309

To go with thread. Details I first posted on October 12th (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=433)

Quote:

I've posted a few details from the report on my blog, http://birminghamcentral.blogspot.co...rbishment.html

Quote:
Quote:
The scheme should see circa 7500m2 of refurbishment space and 6000m2 of new build with the intention to also increase the seating capacity by 550, as well as an uplift of 800 in respect of standing capacity to the arena floor.

The redevelopment also aims for circa 1,500 square metres of retail space for external lettings likely aimed toward food and beverage operators.

Work expected to start end of 2012 and last 18 months.
Report from cabinet here (if link works) - http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/democra...eport+word.pdf

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #15
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

though seeing the interior above , wonder what it look if it continued to the outside...would look cool

Last edited by GrAfiK_248; December 14th, 2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: took out pic
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #16
nigeman

Likes (Received): 79

Would like to see some height to the architecture so you can spot it from a distance but I really like what I'm seeing, but the renders only show one aspect. I get the impression this makeover will only be the aspect you can see from Broad St, the rest of the building will be untouched...Hope I'm wrong! I would have liked to have seen another waterfront bar in there as well.
Anybody seen the full plans?
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #17
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

The interior looks nice, crisp and clean. Some would no doubt say clinical, but then it's an arena.

Gets my vote. Exterior - TBC.

Are they planning to do anything with the car parking side?
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #18
Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Would like to see some height to the architecture so you can spot it from a distance but I really like what I'm seeing, but the renders only show one aspect. I get the impression this makeover will only be the aspect you can see from Broad St, the rest of the building will be untouched...Hope I'm wrong! I would have liked to have seen another waterfront bar in there as well.
Anybody seen the full plans?
I actually work for the nec group, so ill see what i can do if any meetings go on and plans lying around...

In terms of height... there so much more that could be done. Again.. a lovely spire like the melbourne arts centre..

NIA would be perfect to really make a land mark crown
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #19
Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
The interior looks nice, crisp and clean. Some would no doubt say clinical, but then it's an arena.

Gets my vote. Exterior - TBC.

Are they planning to do anything with the car parking side?
The car parking is actually seperate... its owned by BCC
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #20
feltip

Likes (Received): 309

That Melbourne Arts Centre looks lovely.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arena, birmingham, refurb

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: