daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.73 average.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #41
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
I like the current modesty of the NIA, I think it's simple and stylish. The lower floor facing the canal which looks to me like a service road and area and the canal forntage could definately do with improving. By filling in these open blocks with cafe's/bars and improving the flow of people by increasing the steps and entrances in and out then I think the job could be done for a lot less cost.

Personally I think the renders look horrific.
we'll have to agree to disagree on that point...

considering the arena is a venue of regional if not national significance, i find its appearence dull, underwhelming and instantly forgetable... and is very 1980's 1990's pastiche.

i love the renders!!!

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #42
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 37

IMO development to go from what the NIA is currently, to the renders shown here: would be like turning Centre Court into the Reebok Stadium.

Okay maybe that's a bit extreme, but hiding the modest, stylish, brickwork, inkeeping with the surroundings, then introducing garish glass, coloured lights and oversized concrete pillars is not the way to go I don't think.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #43
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 40

I have to say my personal opinion is that this will be a fantastic devlopement both inn design and in what is offers in terms of conectivity to the canals with more oplaces to eat and drink not to mention making it a better venure for facilities, and a slight increase in capacity...thumbs up for me..
PSS1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #44
NEC_Group

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh View Post
I know quite abit of the facilities are being moved, alot of the hospitality catering equipment for example. I was told by management at the NIA a couple of days ago that they are all getting ready for moving a good chunk of it. Theres more there than you think in terms of catering.
Just to let everyone know, Walsh's comments are incorrect and do not represent the NEC Group as a whole or the NIA redevelopment project. We will release more details as soon as the next stage of design is complete.
NEC_Group no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #45
woodhousen

oooooh walsh, it seems youve been stepping on someones toes!!!
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #46
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 166

NEC Group controlling the image of the brand i see. I like when companies like that decide to have conversations with customers and give us information. Welcome

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #47
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay
NEC Group controlling the image of the brand i see. I like when companies like that decide to have conversations with customers and give us information. Welcome
Yup its the way modern media has gone and companies need to learn to have a dialogue with their customers and the wider public

Good to see the NEC group engaging on here - be nice if you guys can post to here when you make relevant public announcements about your venues

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #48
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 76

I love this fact... Do you know that the Compare the Market actually employ a couple of people to pretend to be the Meerkat from the ad (Alexander is it?) on various social media locations... that's the level the monitoring and interacting with customers has reached.

Are the NEC close to getting a sponsor I wonder?
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #49
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 49

Haha superb that NEC Group has thought it necessary to post on here, must be a first surely? I quite like the design, its something that the building has needed for a while!
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #50
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
I love this fact... Do you know that the Compare the Market actually employ a couple of people to pretend to be the Meerkat from the ad (Alexander is it?) on various social media locations...
Merekat? I use Money Supermarket myself - simples

Quote:

that's the level the monitoring and interacting with customers has reached.

Are the NEC close to getting a sponsor I wonder?
How about GoCompare - they could even get that Opera singer to perform on opening night

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #51
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 37

deleted

Last edited by BhamJim; February 7th, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: wrong thread
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #52
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEC_Group View Post
Just to let everyone know, Walsh's comments are incorrect and do not represent the NEC Group as a whole or the NIA redevelopment project. We will release more details as soon as the next stage of design is complete.
Funniest thing I've read on here in ages.

Will he be prosecuted? j/k
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #53
Walsh

Likes (Received): 14

Nope... Because unfortunately this was information off catering management. So maybe it is being delayed, or they were assuming equipment was soon to be moved.

If a user were to sign up on here, could they just call them self NIA, or are there terms and conditions of a user nickname?
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #54
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

Has Walsh just admitted to not reading the Terms and Conditions when he registered to the forum?!

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #55
Walsh

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Has Walsh just admitted to not reading the Terms and Conditions when he registered to the forum?!

'Like'
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #56
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 332

Classic!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #57
vanson

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
i like the original building,i think the reclad will make it look like a concentration camp.
vanson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #58
NEC_Group

Likes (Received): 5

Hi All, thank you for the comments, we really are looking forward to engaging with everyone on this project and we will use this site to update you accordingly when we have information available. In response to some of Walsh’s comments we are only just closing off Stage C so there is still a long way to go before we commence any construction let alone begin decanting equipment. It’s business as usual at the NIA with a fantastic line up of events and concerts for the rest of 2012. It’s going to be an exciting and challenging project as we plan to remain open during the redevelopment with only short periods of closure during non-event months. No further images or drawings are available yet but rest assured we will post these when they are ready.

We want to ensure that the information you hear is correct and from an official source. Watch this space for more info...
NEC_Group no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #59
woodhousen

Thank you NEC Group.... we trust you can post any new info and images here as soon as they become available? Thanks
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #60
build_higher

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanson View Post
i like the original building,i think the reclad will make it look like a concentration camp.
Like you I'm not so keen on the new design....but I'm not convinced by the concentration camp! Not many of them had curved glass & a purple lighting scheme!!
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arena, birmingham, refurb

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: