daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Tamil Nadu > Coimbatore

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #81
kongutamizhan

Likes (Received): 2160

Had it been permanant this news would have gone into cbe main thread. As it is likely to be temporary it is part of arattai
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Power situation improves in Coimbatore

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/12958347.cms

COIMBATORE: Residents of Coimbatore are heaving a huge sigh of relief as there is a dramatic improvement in power supply. During the worst period, the city suffered a 10-hour power cut daily. This has come down to about an hour daily. On some days there is no power cut at all.

Relatively heavy summer rains and improved wind have increased power production consequently reducing the outages. For the past three days industries and residences have had continuous power supply.

"It was a pleasant surprise to find that the authorities did not cut power in the last few days," said Ram Babu, a resident of Ramnathpuram. With the ten-hour power cuts, he said his daily schedule was completely affected. "I could never sleep well during the power outages. The children suffered because they were unable to study. Besides, the heat was unbearable. Thanks to the recent rains and strong wind, we have our life back again," he added.

Industries are also thrilled about the minimal outages. "We were able to run the full shift for four days without any disruption in power supply," said J James, president, Tamil Nadu Association of Cottage and Tiny Enterprises. Industry had faced huge losses due to the frequent cuts and they are hoping to recover their losses now. However, there is no official announcement from the government regarding the reduction is outages, so it is hard to know what the real situation is, he said.

When contacted K Kastoorirangian, Chairman, Indian Wind Power Association, said the winds have been strong during the last few days. On Saturday 110MW of power was produced, which improved to 1308MW on Sunday and as of Monday1580MW of energy was supplied to the grid. The power production is likely to increase in the coming days although it is unclear how much of the wind energy will be put to use.

On Monday, officials asked the wind mill owners to remove their connection from the grid, as they claim there is excess power in the grid and they could not take anymore wind energy. However, if the power cuts and holidays are done away with, they can easily evacuate the power and wind energy could be further utilized.

Chief Engineer, A Thangavelu, Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation, TANGEDCO, said that the power generation has improved in the last three days thanks to the rain and wind energy, which helped to improve the situation. He said due to rain the power utilised for agriculture has reduced drastically.

Sponsored Links

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM   #82
deepu051993
Fan of TN-45

Likes (Received): 129

yirunthalum unga lolukku ore fullstope yillama poyitirukku

To Astronish its Beauty hailed in Localites Portal to worlds Forum enter through the International Airport

Have time? just peek in to my Picasa, Facebook

Schedules (Nov. 4)
Trichy : Air == Rail == Bus Routes
Airports : CBE, MDU, TUTI
deepu051993 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:07 AM   #83
kongutamizhan

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/12958345.cms

Retailers against integration with wholesale market

COIMBATORE: Retail traders at Anna Market in Saibaba Colony approached the district collector requesting his intervention to abandon the corporation budget's proposal to construct a joint market for the wholesale and retail traders together at Mettupalayam Road. "The wholesalers must be asked to locate outside the city. The proposal if implemented will take away our business, and create heavy traffic in the city," said KK Kuttan, a retailer.

The corporation had in the recent budget said that they would build a combined market for both retailers and wholesalers at Mettupalayam Road. However, the wholesale business, if combined with retail will create problems in the city. "Around 500 to 600 vehicles with vegetables and stationery items will ply through the city, from 4am to 4pm. This would create traffic congestion," said CRC Narayanan, another retail trader.

The retailers claim they will petition the corporation mayor, councillors, and even the Chief Minister to scrap the proposal put forward during corporation budget. The retailers say that though the corporation takes rent from them they are not provided with electricity and water connections. "We get water from roadside pipes. We get power from a private supplier through a generator," said Narayanan.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #84
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 2858

55 late flyers grounded

CHENNAI: A vacation that was booked well in advance began on a sour note on Sunday for a group of 55 persons from Salem, Coimbatore and Erode, as they missed their flight to Delhi, arriving just as the gates were closed.

According to airport sources, the group, comprising mostly families, was headed to Delhi-Jaipur-Nainital for a vacation arranged through a travel agent. They reportedly arrived at the airport for an early morning flight and were shocked when they found out that the check-in time was over as the gates had been closed.

The reason they were delayed was that they were waiting for the whole party to arrive before they checked in, the sources said. Despite frantic appeals and several calls to the travel agent, the flight departed without the holidayers.

�As a result, most of them were seen seated outside the domestic departure lounge, as they tried to sort out an alternative flight.

Sources have indicated that they might be accommodated on the same flight on Monday

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/55-late-f...15-60-120.html

=======================================================

I wonder when CBE have direct flights to Delhi, why the travel agents take Chennai-Delhi route for group travelers from West TN.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM   #85
prasadrad
Prasad@Blr

Likes (Received): 15

Cost , travel arrangements by the operator , which again points to cost
prasadrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #86
prasadrad
Prasad@Blr

6 UPSC candidates successful from CBE institute

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/13003904.cms
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #87
kongutamizhan

Quote:
We are happy that our students got selected for civil services. We had conducted elaborate mock interviews and had invited numerous IAS officers to our institute to guide and mentor the students," said P Kanagaraj, chief mentor of the centre and associate professor of politics, Government Arts College
I posted a news item about Mr.Kanagaraj here few months back. Great job. It should be a gratifying experience and moment of pride for him than the students
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #88
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

Likes (Received): 629

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...don-sucks.html

Its about London sucking the rest of UK dry... and i have maintained for a long time that Chennai and Bangalore do the same to the rest of South India....
Kandeeban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #89
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 2485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandeeban View Post
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...don-sucks.html

Its about London sucking the rest of UK dry... and i have maintained for a long time that Chennai and Bangalore do the same to the rest of South India....
Oh so sad Hyderabad, Trivandrum Cochin ellathayum sethukavendiyathuthane?
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #90
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

Hyderabad to an extent
No way TVM and Kochi can get into that list.. the whole of kerala is a net loser, in this aspect....
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #91
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

For me, Bangalore is the real Frankenstein's monster....
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #92
kovaidreamz

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandeeban View Post
Hyderabad to an extent
No way TVM and Kochi can get into that list.. the whole of kerala is a net loser, in this aspect....
Yes you are right...Coimbatore sucks people from kochi and TVM.... CBE is a prefered location for mallu's to work, proximity to their homes being one of the reasons...
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #93
prasadrad
Prasad@Blr

Aarambichitaangayya

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #94
kongutamizhan

One more civil service exam news

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3390218.ece

They soldier on for that better rank

Though the fact that five candidates from the Higher Studies Centre of the Coimbatore Corporation have cleared the finals of the Civil Services examinations has brought cheer, they are keen on making another attempt to better their ranks. They want to enter only Indian Administrative Service (IAS).

The centre saw 22 going for the main examination. Out of the 10 who cleared the mains, five cleared the final interview, which, according to them, is an achievement.

C. Sudhagaran (Rank 728), a resident of Veeraganur, a panchayat 75 km from Salem, who has cleared the Civil Services in his very first attempt, is a happy man.

Though he began his coaching in 2009 after completing engineering, his hard work and determination saw him succeed in the first attempt.

“I got inspired reading about the work of many IAS officers during my final year, and that got me motivated to attempt the examinations. Though I will make another attempt to better my rank, in the meantime I will join the Audit and Accounts Service. This is also another Government service, so I don't mind,” he says positively.

Aware of his shortcomings in his earlier attempt, he is keen to overcome them and improve upon his strengths.

Rohini Priyadarshini P. (Rank 243), 25-year-old engineer from Karamadai near Coimbatore, has cleared the finals in her third attempt. She attributes her success to perseverance and hard work.

She will attempt a fourth time to better her rank. Since the interview went well, she is confident that it is the examination she has to concentrate on in her next attempt.

R.A. Mahendira Varma (Rank 623), a lawyer by qualification and a resident of Kavindapadi, 26 km from Erode, is going to make another attempt – his sixth – to enter into the realms of the IAS cadre.

From an agricultural family, his parents have been supportive of his keen interest and let him prepare from 2007. His elder sister is a doctor and he is keen to keep at it till his dream is realised.

Though all three are looking at improving their ranks, they are firm in their thought that the State is being very well represented in the Civil Services examinations. Last year, among the 22 who cleared the IAS, four from Tamil Nadu were among the top 10, they say.

The centre conducts coaching and mock interviews for Civil Services aspirants free of cost. The latest five take the total number to 28 that the centre has helped clear the examinations since its inception in 2008.

P. Kanagaraj, chief mentor of the centre and associate professor of political science, Government Arts College, says no one can really explain the ranking pattern.

“The final result can go either way. Most of them never give up. Perseverance and hard work will get them where they want to be,” he says.

As many as 40 IAS and IPS officials are associated with the Higher Studies Centre, which is considered an asset. The expertise they share with the candidates during the course of their coaching helps them excel in their interviews.

Rohini says there can be no better way than to learn from one's mistakes. “Every attempt is a chance to perfect oneself.” She was felicitated by Coimbatore Mayor S.M. Velusamy at the centre here on Saturday.
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #95
kongutamizhan

Nice blog for local news

http://rooster-coimbatore.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Coimbatore teens take up Clickty Click challenge

http://rooster-coimbatore.blogspot.c...kty-click.html

Schools in Coimbatore are paying serious attention to extra-curricular activities such as photography, after realising the talents and skills of their students.

Last week, a local organisation that helps orphans, hosted a photography competition called “Clickty Click” that had over 26 city schools participating.

One of the participants, who has even competed internationally, displayed talent and skill beyond his young years.

It was Varun B. from Yuva Bharathi School who stood first in the competition, for his long exposure click around a U-turn that captured streaks of light from passing vehicles. Premier Vidyaa Vikash School had the most number of participants; they took home the 2nd and 3rd prizes.

School coordinator N. Raja Lakshmi shared the need to inculcate this form of creativity in children. “It paves the way for better growth, so we always encourage our students with talents apart from academics to pursue them. It motivates them, so when we come across such talents like Narendran A. and Prakash K., we encourage them.”

Also present at the event was a class 12 student from Chinamaya International residential school in Coimbatore who stood out the most.

Akash Ghai has won several accolades even internationally. “My mother's a social worker and landscape photographer, so I grew up seeing her work and accompanying her to various photography and art exhibitions.

She was the one who encouraged me to hold a solo photography exhibition at the Alliance Francaise gallery in Chandigarh when I was 17,” said Akash. On his style of photography, he said, “I am different from other photographers, I possess a unique perspective. A photographer's strength is how his style differs from others.”

Akash further shared his interests, “I like art photography, photojournalism, portraiture and a bit of wildlife.

I enjoy photographing people the most. International exposure at a young age for any photographer is essential as it boosts confidence and acquaints him with the quality of photographs he should be making.

I've been part of exhibitions in India, Australia, Russia, Senegal and New York, and it feels great to be part of a global photographic community.”
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #96
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2512

X-posting from Kovai Transport Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
Please post in Kongu Arattai Mandram (Chai Bar)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1470768&page=5

Option 1 - Book a taxi to Ooty if you dont mind the cost. But do not take airport taxis which are costlier. If you have friends in CBE, they may book a normal taxi for you. Ideal if you are with family - for 4 to 5 members.

Option 2 - From Airport, catch a taxi or auto to Gandhipuram Bus Terminus. There are lots of buses to Ooty from there. But since summer holiday time, heavy crowd will be there. Queue / Token system is generally followed..
(Latest news may be shared by CBE guys)

Option 3 - I dont know about timing. Pl check on the toy train availability from Mettupalayam to Ooty. fabulous experience. The service was suspended some time back due to land slides.
Thanks KI for the information.

I have opted out the Toy Train due to time constraints.

I am single, and not much luggage with me. I need to spend around 1.5 hrs in the city for lunch and other activities. I have to reach Ooty via Kotagiri. How long is the travel? I can afford a taxi. But please let me know the bus transit options.
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #97
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 6101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayaali View Post
X-posting from Kovai Transport Thread

Thanks KI for the information.

I have opted out the Toy Train due to time constraints.

I am single, and not much luggage with me. I need to spend around 1.5 hrs in the city for lunch and other activities. I have to reach Ooty via Kotagiri. How long is the travel? I can afford a taxi. But please let me know the bus transit options.
I think that some of the State Buses take the Kotagiri route (Highway) only. Pl check with locals. The other route is Coonoor route. Pl check properly before buying the tickets.

I think the Bus takes 3 to 3.5 hours including a tea stop at Burliyar.

Taxi will take lesser time. They may charge you for 2 way.

Share Taxis may also be available.One way charge only. Local Guys can help.

Since I am a Veggie, I prefer & used to dine at Anna Poorna Restaurants (various branches) or Anna Lakshmi (Race Course Road). Star Hotels like Residency. Le Meridien & Nilgiris are on Avinashi Road near Airport. If you are going to Residency, try Fried Ice Cream.

Pl check if Brooke Bond Mall is fully opened (near RS Puram).
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #98
kongutamizhan

@ Malayaali

Never ever make the mistake of visiting Annapurna/Gowrishankar near the bus-stands. Their quality is horrible (with exception of gowrishankar @ x-cut road). Their branches in inner city / outside busstands are good though!! Here are few more restaurant suggestions

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...1&postcount=53
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=42
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=13
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=12
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=11
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...6&postcount=10
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #99
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2512

Ok. I prefer taxi and believe it to charge around Rs 1500 to Ooty. Correct me if i am wrong.

The trip was planned on a short notice and believe me, there are hardly any rooms available at Ooty! I was fortunate to get a room at Lakeview Hotel.

Thank you all for your suggestions and information. Looking forward to a great weekend at Ooty & Kovai.
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #100
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

May be we should augment something like (Discussion thread/ Chaibar) to the name of the current thread so that non-tamils can understand the meaning and post...