daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #81
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySword View Post
1750m? Why not 17500m?
I've got a better idea, I'll propose a 3000km tower in the middle of Alaska. That is perfectly feasible and saying that it isn't would be disrespectfull and an insult to the people of Alaska

[IMG]http://i40.************/9qgvls.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #82
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySword View Post
1750m? Why not 17500m?
satellitescraper
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #83
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15095

Merry Christmas everyone!
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #84
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity
Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #85
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroutage View Post
This thread is a joke and an absolute disgrace.

Sudan should concentrate on developing some basic infrastructure for its 40million population and maybe even a stabile government for a prolonged period of time.

Not a playboy Arab fantasy island.

What is going on? Has nobody any sense?
+1

How many people died of starvation in Darfur yesterday? There's a difference between aspiring for modernity and being stupid and rash. If Sudan wants to "modernize" as other people in this thread suggest, then they should invest in energy, infrastructure, education and healthcare. Building a Megatall does nothing to encourage modernity, it just looks like a giant waste of money. Just because the dictator in Sudan and his goons want a merry little project to show they can compete with the sheikhs of the Persian Gulf does not mean this kind of project should be commended or encouraged. It's unrealistic, irresponsible, and speaks volumes more about the haphazard priorities of the Sudanese elite than becoming some guise of
"modernity" for a nation who is many decades away from even societal stability.

Building this tower is a slap in the face to 20 million Sudanese who go to bed (if they have one) every night hungry. Building it is raw disrespect for a suffering people. They should feel offended, not the supertall apologists here on SSC.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #86
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

I'm sorry, but Africa has got much bigger fish to fry. Maybe they should concentrate and feeding their populations properly and controlling an insane birth rate.

BTW, this is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Sudan is very far behind the rest of the world, as is the rest of Africa, in terms of development. Maybe once Sudan stops being a failed state, it can look towards building something a quarter of the size.
Botswana no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #87
LVM

Likes (Received): 2219

Hard to believe but who say...the Arabs has built a lot of this proyects and would bring jobs to the sudan people.

New_Balto liked this post
LVM no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #88
haikalcool2u

Likes (Received): 8

craziest project that appearin my brain!!!!!
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #89
Toetallix
The Manchester Invasion

Likes (Received): 2131

If it were 17500m I think it would take several generations of constructors to complete ha
Toetallix no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #90
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
+1

How many people died of starvation in Darfur yesterday? There's a difference between aspiring for modernity and being stupid and rash. If Sudan wants to "modernize" as other people in this thread suggest, then they should invest in energy, infrastructure, education and healthcare. Building a Megatall does nothing to encourage modernity, it just looks like a giant waste of money. Just because the dictator in Sudan and his goons want a merry little project to show they can compete with the sheikhs of the Persian Gulf does not mean this kind of project should be commended or encouraged. It's unrealistic, irresponsible, and speaks volumes more about the haphazard priorities of the Sudanese elite than becoming some guise of
"modernity" for a nation who is many decades away from even societal stability.

Building this tower is a slap in the face to 20 million Sudanese who go to bed (if they have one) every night hungry. Building it is raw disrespect for a suffering people. They should feel offended, not the supertall apologists here on SSC.
Very nicely said. Securing food and decent living for everyone is far more important than building an unrealistic skyscraper which nobody would want to lease anyway. Building skyscrapers in rich countries is OK because these countries have money to spare. Sudan has not and btw I can't imagine any rich corporation wanting to lease office space in Sudan. The country is way to unstable. And before somebody get's his/her feeling hurt again I'd like to note that I don't intend to hurt anybody's feelings, I'm only stating facts.
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #91
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

1 word.
BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JD47 está en línea ahora  
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #92
sgroutage

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanii View Post
This is an amazing development. I wish them luck and prosperity. As for you envious, sick-hearted hypocrite britz and amricans. If this was built in either of your countries you would be screaming with joy and probably yelling 'USA USA ...' But because the money is being spent by arabs to arabs and muslims to muslims you are spiteful !

Its a strategic location, the money is saudi money and sudanese lands. They should work together. Will see tomorrow when your immoral, god-less, money hungry companies will be guppying all over it.
I am all for Arab money being invested into infrastructure projects in the Sudan, but this development is a typical playboy vanity project, it does nothing to help the millions of Sudanese who would benefit from water, sewerage, power, housing and transport infrastructure.

Sick hearted Brits and Americans eh! What a joke! Our tv screens were filled with Sudan famine tv adverts only 4 or 5 years ago, so have a reality check and think is Arab oil money being spent wisely in this development?

Get a grip on reality!
sgroutage no está en línea  
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #93
lady gaga
Mod

Likes (Received): 845

Every one here in this thread I know you guys think that this tower isn't going to be built me neither and as a sudanese I agree with all who were saying that this money should go for hospitals schools amd stuff but you guy's need to understand that this tower is only propsed and there is not a lot of infos about i want say something to all of the people here yes we need hospitals yes we need schools and all that but why can't we build a tall tower??!!!don't be a closed minded person. Btw everyone I disagree about thumis tower and @kanto I am not being defensive but you guys shouldn't be so offensive and pkease for the sake of the christmas stop posting nonsense. Peace. Everyone
lady gaga no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #94
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady gaga View Post
...why can't we build a tall tower??!!!
Why can't Sudan build a mid-rise ? The question is not a matter of whether or not there's a will to build the tower but a need or even the resources .

A tower like this would eat up a sizable portion of the entire country's annual budget . Even if it takes five years to build it , that's only five years of employment . Does Port Sudan need that much office space ? Does Port Sudan have the skilled labour force available for such a project ?
The answer to both questions is no . So basically Port Sudan would get a super-sized tower built by foreigners (meaning they also would be taking money out of the country ultimately) that would sit empty .
Economically it makes absolutely no sense . As a symbol , it's only good until somebody builds something taller .

So why not build it ? Because it quite directly makes things worse for the people who will have to look at it on a daily basis .
It's like a father who impoverishes his family by spending every last penny he has on a Ferrari .
Spocket no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #95
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

is this project a joke?
ironalbo no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #96
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

with this project's money can feed every sudanese
ironalbo no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #97
OsmanSheikh
Future Architect

Likes (Received): 9

I think this project proposal was for publicity, but contrary to popular belief, Sudan is not a super poor country. It has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and immense amounts of untapped natural resources.
OsmanSheikh no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #98
lady gaga
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironalbo View Post
with this project's money can feed every sudanese
+10000000
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #99
lady gaga
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsmanSheikh View Post
I think this project proposal was for publicity, but contrary to popular belief, Sudan is not a super poor country. It has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and immense amounts of untapped natural resources.
Try to make them understand they think that we are the poorest country in the world how irrtating is this everybody here please visit the sudanese thread before judging if you just see for yourselves you'll see that have changed remarkabley in tge past three years so I invite you to visit our forum
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #100
ganghui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

Disgusting looking project built with disgusting money (if built).
ganghui no está en línea  

Closed Thread