daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
WingTips

Likes (Received): 109

Super Fast Broadband Manchester & Salford

Looks like 2012 will see BT Infinity hitting the Streets of Manchester and Salford, having checked the BT website some exchanges are already enabled others are due in March this year, with more rolling out over the next twelve months. Has anyone had any experience of the new service yet? or already signed up and waitng to be connected?

Last edited by WingTips; January 2nd, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Virgin, job done. I wouldn't trust BT to unwrap a Mars Bar.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Virgin, job done. I wouldn't trust BT to unwrap a Mars Bar.
How long have you had SFBB? and what speeds are you achieving? From what I gather Virgin is not available in all areas.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
How long have you had SFBB? and what speeds are you achieving? From what I gather Virgin is not available in all areas.
Depends what you'd consider super fast, had 20MB for years, been on 30MB for a good while now. I know loads of mates on BT, it's like dial up and likes to have a fit for days on end.

It's true it's not available in all areas but I know alot of these new apartment blocks and areas that are not connected are under a plan to be connected. I know afew new blocks in Salford are being fitted early this year.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
WingTips

Quote:
Depends what you'd consider super fast, had 20MB for years, been on 30MB for a good while now. I know loads of mates on BT, it's like dial up and likes to have a fit for days on end.

It's true it's not available in all areas but I know alot of these new apartment blocks and areas that are not connected are under a plan to be connected. I know afew new blocks in Salford are being fitted early this year.
30MB! who else is missing out then? more input please!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #6
reeces

Likes (Received): 4

I have BT infinity and get more or less 40mb downloads and 10mb uploads. It's essentially the advertised speeds! Our exchange in Rusholme was activated last year and I suppose it helps that I only live 100 yards away from it. I have to say never had any problems with BT infinity, and their wireless box they provide is fantastic. Even with 5 of us using the Internet at the same time my speed never really drops below 30mb. Lots of people have signed up to it in our area and the free wireless access to bt openzone is great too for fast Internet in town on your phone.
reeces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
nicky2tu
Nice up North

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeces View Post
I have BT infinity and get more or less 40mb downloads and 10mb uploads. It's essentially the advertised speeds! Our exchange in Rusholme was activated last year and I suppose it helps that I only live 100 yards away from it. I have to say never had any problems with BT infinity, and their wireless box they provide is fantastic. Even with 5 of us using the Internet at the same time my speed never really drops below 30mb. Lots of people have signed up to it in our area and the free wireless access to bt openzone is great too for fast Internet in town on your phone.
I've been on Infinity since March last year and it has been fine up to 4 days ago! I'm currently waiting for the Engineer to visit. Had to by-pass the modem and go in via ASDL so I've been temporarily busted down to Total Broadband which is 10Mb/s compared to the 36-37Mbs I was getting with Infinity. I have to say that their help line was awful and got a least 4 different explanations for my issue - so far. Hopefully it will be resolved today. I'm on the Moss Side exchange BTW.
nicky2tu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 104

Talk Talk and I get 3Mb/s on a very good day. It's ironic that I can see Media City UK from my windows but often can't get BBC iPlayer to stream properly. From past experience Virgin is the way to go.
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #9
reeces

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky2tu

I've been on Infinity since March last year and it has been fine up to 4 days ago! I'm currently waiting for the Engineer to visit. Had to by-pass the modem and go in via ASDL so I've been temporarily busted down to Total Broadband which is 10Mb/s compared to the 36-37Mbs I was getting with Infinity. I have to say that their help line was awful and got a least 4 different explanations for my issue - so far. Hopefully it will be resolved today. I'm on the Moss Side exchange BTW.
Yeh I heard those who went to infinity early got a version of the white modem that was a bit dodgy. They rang up my grandad and asked to replace his even though he was having no problem with it. Luckily I've had no problems with mine... yet.
reeces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #10
WingTips

Is any one else waitng to become SFBB and if so whom will be your intended provider?, hopefully this year will see more of Salford and Manchester becoming enabled
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Deanuk

Likes (Received): 0

I have had virgin for years infact I had a mega speed of 128kb with them to the speed of 50mb that I have now. It's mega fast I typically get around 49.7mbps and doesn't drop. Ever.
Deanuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanuk View Post
I have had virgin for years infact I had a mega speed of 128kb with them to the speed of 50mb that I have now. It's mega fast I typically get around 49.7mbps and doesn't drop. Ever.
Up until last year I was receiving 2Mbps (I was naive) I am with Orange BB, then suddenly it dropped to less than 0.5 Mbps only to be told that they were migrating their services to BT Wholesale after which we would recreive a Whopping 6 Mbps...
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #13
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 281

i'm a long time Nynex/C&W/Virgin Cable broadband user too - goes back to 2001'ish (I think) when Nynex kindly dug up all the streets in South Manchester and plumbed in Digital TV and Broadband completely separate from the GPO BT's archaic twisted copper pair solution

and I started on 150Kb/s too with this lot - but that was a massive improvement on 56Kbps dial up at the time
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Fortun3

Likes (Received): 0

I live in City lofts on Salford Quays, I've had awful experiences with O2 and finally gave up and went with sky where I'm now getting 3.5mb. It's not terrible but it's definitely not what I'd call good! I'll be out of contract by the time they upgrade us to BT infinity which according to samknows.com should be around 1st June.

I would think it makes sense to run fibre to modern blocks of flats - you have 200+ apartments which would bite your arm off for it and all you have to do is run one cable from the street to the building (all the stuff in the building can be run simply through cable tracks that are already in place).
Fortun3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #15
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortun3 View Post
I live in City lofts on Salford Quays, I've had awful experiences with O2 and finally gave up and went with sky where I'm now getting 3.5mb. It's not terrible but it's definitely not what I'd call good! I'll be out of contract by the time they upgrade us to BT infinity which according to samknows.com should be around 1st June.

I would think it makes sense to run fibre to modern blocks of flats - you have 200+ apartments which would bite your arm off for it and all you have to do is run one cable from the street to the building (all the stuff in the building can be run simply through cable tracks that are already in place).
Ever thought of ringing Virgin up, asking them about installing it or asking if they have a plan too?
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 281

i think virgin/c+w have cabled exactly zero new streets/new builds since nynex finished the original work to install cable all those years ago - therefore I would expect you'd get a negative answer from virgin
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #17
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortun3 View Post

I now get approx 6mbps...with Orange 3 times better than it was few months...how ever I would not recommend Orange BB as their customer service has been on the whole appalling.
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
WingTips

It seems several years ago laid milles and miles of fibre optic cable...why has nothing been done with it?
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #19
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
i think virgin/c+w have cabled exactly zero new streets/new builds since nynex finished the original work to install cable all those years ago - therefore I would expect you'd get a negative answer from virgin
Did you miss my earlier post about the Salford apartments? Virgin Media have been running a new developments team since 2009 which aims to covers streets and new areas of housing they've missed in areas which do have cable. They are installing lines into a new housing and apartments in Salford in the summer. I know Manchester, Bolton, Stockport and Wigan are all included in this. Most areas of Salford and Trafford are more than likely also included. Clearly its not a yes or no. Costs, council approval to dig up the street and I'm sure there are technical/network issues too.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...elp/td-p/20585
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #20
WingTips

Quote:
Did you miss my earlier post about the Salford apartments? Virgin Media have been running a new developments team since 2009 which aims to covers streets and new areas of housing they've missed in areas which do have cable. They are installing lines into a new housing and apartments in Salford in the summer. I know Manchester, Bolton, Stockport and Wigan are all included in this. Most areas of Salford and Trafford are more than likely also included. Clearly its not a yes or no. Costs, council approval to dig up the street and I'm sure there are technical/network issues too.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...elp/td-p/20585

I am going back about 12 years.