daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #161
WingTips

Likes (Received): 159

An interesting snippet here...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5...broadband.html
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #162
petewright

Likes (Received): 0

all,

get your orders in! I just placed mine, install on christmas eve
petewright no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #163
Fortun3

Great spot, my line is being switched over tuesday so I'll be able to order then. Let us know how your install goes.
Fortun3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #164
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewright View Post
all,

get your orders in! I just placed mine, install on christmas eve
Have I missed something here? could you please clarify.
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #165
petewright

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
Have I missed something here? could you please clarify.
Fibre has been activated now on the green box outside NV Building
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #166
WingTips

Thats good news.
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #167
Fortun3

Ordered mine, with a 'free' Youview box (my tv doesn't have a hd tuner so this was worth the £50 activation fee). Equipment should be delivered on the 31st December and installation on 3rd Jan. I'll be impressed if they can stick to those deadlines with all the bank holidays around then! Pete let us know how yours goes :-)
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #168
petewright

Engineer installed it fine, apparently I am the first in the box

Old December 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #169
WingTips

Quote:
Engineer installed it fine, apparently I am the first in the box

Are the speeds noticeably faster now?
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #170
petewright

well i used to get 2MB/s down and 0.23Mb/s up
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #171
WingTips

Quote:
I presume it must be akin to turning over the tv channel, download must be almost instantanious.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #172
Fortun3

Wowsers that's fantastic! 10 days to go until mine's installed :-) Merry Christmas to you all
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #173
Fortun3

Quote:
Brilliant. Would you mind running some quick tests?

E.g. Download speed from a high-bandwidth source (iTunes, bit torrent, something like that?)

Upload speed tests - skydrive, gdrive or dropbox?

Just interested to know what bandwidth like that means in real numbers, and too impatient to wait until next week to find out! :-)
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #174
petewright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortun3 View Post
Brilliant. Would you mind running some quick tests?

E.g. Download speed from a high-bandwidth source (iTunes, bit torrent, something like that?)

Upload speed tests - skydrive, gdrive or dropbox?

Just interested to know what bandwidth like that means in real numbers, and too impatient to wait until next week to find out! :-)
Well i havn't really tested UPLOAD. But my download speed from newsgroups (which I use for downloading) peaks at 7.9MB/s
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #175
Fortun3

Good news. Cheers! Ill run similar tests when mine's up and running!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #176
Fortun3

Well the package with YouView box, router & powerline networking arrived on Monday 31st, engineer was booked for today 1pm-6pm. Got a call last night asking if we wouldn't mind if he came and did it first thing, and bang on 8am there was a knock at the door!

It's all up and running, not had much time to test it before I left this morning but the initial results are promising.

I should add the speeds via wired networking were significantly faster than the wireless speeds, which topped out at 60mb/s on a laptop, 50mb/s on an tablet and about 35mb/s on an mobile phone

Last edited by Fortun3; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #177
WingTips

Slightly off topic so apologies in advance, but interesting non the less...

Latest consultation closes on 14 March 2013.

Ofcom has started a consultation on ways to protect consumers against fixed contract price rises for landline, broadband and mobile services.

The regulator's proposed approach would enable customers to leave their contracts without penalty if providers increase costs during the term of the contract.

Ofcom said that it would expect providers to be clear and upfront about the potential for price increases and of the consumer's right to cancel the contract in the event of any price increase.

The regulator considered a complete ban on price rises in fixed contracts, but said it would be inconsistent with the European legal framework.

Last year, Ofcom launched a review which looked at 1,644 complaints about changes to terms and conditions about contracts.

Ofcom consumer group director Claudio Pollack said: "Many consumers have complained to us that they are not made aware of the potential for price rises in what they believe to be fixed contracts."

"Ofcom is consulting on rules that we propose would give consumers a fair deal in relation to mid-contract price rises," Pollack said.

The latest consultation closes on 14 March 2013 and Ofcom expects to take a decision in June.

Ofcom said: "This proposed change would address consumer concerns that it is unfair that providers are currently able to raise prices, while they themselves have little choice but to accept the increase or pay a penalty to exit the contract."

In November last year, Ofcom unveiled proposals for a framework that allow 'white space' devices to be used in the UK.

The use of 'white spaces', which exist in-between frequency bands that have been reserved for TV broadcasting, would allow new devices to transmit and receive wireless signals for applications.

http://mobility.cbronline.com
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #178
neil

Likes (Received): 134

Manchester starts buzzing with FreeBee Wi-Fi service in city centre
Amy Glendinning January 07, 2013

More than a thousand people have logged on to Manchester’s free Wi-Fi network since it launched a fortnight ago.

The FreeBeeMcr network has seen 1,321 people log on since it started on December 21.

The busiest night for the network was New Year’s Eve, when 170 people used the service.

The quietest was Christmas Day when just 25 people logged on.

Available in three locations in the city centre – Albert Square, Cross Street and St Peter’s Square – the network is free to use for the first 30 minutes.

After that people can pay £3 for unlimited usage over the next 24 hours.

The Wi-Fi network can be accessed via smartphone, tablet or computer, and asks each user to register before they can claim their free 30 minutes.

Access to the council’s website and other public sector sites is unlimited, however.

Manchester council says it is happy with take-up of the service so far – and is expecting a surge in use when it is extended to cover the whole of the city centre during the next few months.

Coun Nigel Murphy, executive member for the environment, said: "The FreeBeeMcr Wi-Fi network will make an important contribution to our goal of ensuring that Manchester is one of the world’s leading digital cities.

"It’s still early days for the network, which was only just installed in a couple of city centre locations before Christmas but its scope will soon be considerably expanded - both by the addition of further locations and the increased ability of people to access it for unlimited periods as part of their contracts with mobile network and broadband operators.

"There will also be more communications work going on to publicise the network and we expect to see an upsurge in user numbers as thorough city centre coverage is implemented in the next few months." The FreebeeMcr network is run by communications and media company Arqiva, which normally provides wireless networks for hotels and airports.

Nicholas Ott from Arqiva said: "Manchester has really utilised the Christmas and New Year implementation of Wi-Fi across the city.

"It has been great to see the high usage and connection of people and business for the first time, especially as the service is brand new and the initial network footprint is at this early stage limited."

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #179
Fortun3

BT Infinity Option 2 76Mb/s Review, January 2012

It’s been over five years since I moved out of University halls of residence and left behind fast internet connection for the big wide world of jobs, my own flat and slow broadband. In 2008 I was with O2 broadband in Manchester City Centre, averaging 3Mb/s download speed. In 2009 I moved to Salford Quays but stuck with O2 and watched my speed plummet below 1Mb/s. After 12 months false promises to improve, we tired of this pain and switched to Sky, where a 2.5Mb/s connection slowly improved to average 3.8Mb/s.

You see plenty in the news about fibre being switched on all around the country, but months passed by with no sign of improvement for us. In this time MediaCityUK has popped up next to us on Salford Quays, rubbing salt in the wound by offering 100Mb/s connections to their (rather overpriced) flats.

Our local telephone exchange (Trafford MRTRA http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRTRA) was upgraded to Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) in early 2012 but it wasn’t until October 2012 that foundations appeared for a new fibre cabinet directly in front of the old cabinet. By December a cabinet had been installed and enabled, and first orders were taken in mid-December for installations on Christmas Eve. Ours was due to be installed on the first working day in January 2013 and the equipment was delivered promptly on the 31st December.

The installation procedure was simple (the engineer even called first to check if it was OK to arrive early), just change the master telephone socket to a new version and install a BT Openreach fibre box, which the engineer brought with him. He then plugged in the BT Homehub 3.0 which was delivered on New Year ’s Eve, and away we went. A few moments later we had wired and wireless devices showing large speed improvements, finally a decent web connection!!

Need for speed

I’m fortunate to be part of the Samknows.com broadband monitoring, so the figures below are taken from an independent hardware speed monitor and will be more accurate than just using a web based speed test. Average downstream is 74.7Mb/s while upstream is 19.4Mb/s, ping is averaging about 12 milliseconds and there have been significant improvements in packet loss (now nearly 0) and RTP Jitter (noticeable in VOIP call quality). Real world applications also showed a massive improvement: Using a download manager from a high-bandwidth source, speeds can hit over 9000Kb/s, pulling down a 5Gb file in under 10 minutes.

The world at a click of your finger?

One of the questions I got asked by friends was “is everything instant now”? A pretty reasonable assumption you might think given the 1860% increase in speed. Unfortunately, this isn’t always reflected in real world experience; what has happened by installing BT Infinity is that you’ve removed a limiting factor in your web experience.

For most people this will be the most significant limiting factor, and you will notice a big improvement in web browsing with most pages loading instantly. But in terms of streaming video (and trust me you’ll be doing a lot of this) from Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky Go, ITV Player etc. etc. there is still a delay every time you request a video. This is the time it takes to initiate the stream from whatever hard drive in the cloud that it all comes from. After it is initiated, the stream itself is very quick, buffering is never an issue and HD video plays smoothly. The only real exception to this rule is BBC iPlayer, which initiates HD streams with barely any delay, I believe this is down to ‘local caching’ where by the BBC have an arrangement to store their materials on individual ISP’s networks, thus allowing a stream to be started more quickly than it would from a single central location.

Wired, Wireless & Portable devices

Running speedtest.net from the different devices in the house gave a range of different results. Devices wired with Ethernet gave equal results to the Samknows.com box, around 74.5Mb/s downstream and 19Mb/s upstream. Two laptops gave similar results over wifi around 65Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up, and iPhones & iPads gave about 35Mb/s down and 17Mb/s up.

Caveats

If you read around the web you’ll hear any number of horror stories from people who have had problems with getting BT Infinity installed or up to speed. Fortunately this has not been the case for me but there are so many negative reviews out there, it would be remiss of me to not mention it. I would guess that as time goes on and BT Openreach does more and more of these installs they will become more adept at dealing with problems, and also weed out the local contractors who don’t show up on time or aren’t up to scratch.

My Infinity installation occurred only a few days after the first installation in the new fibre cabinet, so at the moment I’m not sharing the connection with many people. I’d imagine that as more people connect to each cabinet there may be a slowdown, one hopes this is not very noticeable.

Customer services are the final caveat, I’ve not yet had to use it and I’ve not heard many good things about it from friends – it’s the proverbial Indian call centre experience apparently.

Conclusion

Is it everything I wanted? Yes! And more! But it doesn’t make everything on the web instant. Also I’m sad to report that it doesn’t make you any better at FPS gaming online, but you do get to see your many deaths without any lag!!

Last edited by Fortun3; January 8th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #180
neil

Likes (Received): 134

UKFast snaps up 1 Archway for latest data centre
30th January 2013

WEB hosting group UKFast has spent £3.2m on the strategic acquisition of 1 Archway just outside Manchester, which it says will be the home of the city's biggest data centre.

The 50,000 sq ft building on a two-acre site is opposite Asda in Hulme at the Technopark which is part of Manchester Science Park which has sold the site.

UKFast says the deal will enables it to expand its cloud service and improve connectivity for Manchester’s online businesses.

Founder and chief executive Lawrence Jones said the expansion is part of a £20m growth plan, and the building would initially be home to a 2.5 MVA data centre - which will eventually be increased to 8 MVA.

He said: "It’s a strategic acquisition that immediately enables us to expand our network. Every major bandwidth supplier crosses our land.

"This is great news for Manchester and for UKFast. This building strategically dissects Manchester in two ways. It’s on the main road into the city and at a crucial spot on its connectivity network. It’s a massive step forward in making Manchester’s internet presence stronger.”

Plans are being drawn up for Manchester’s largest data centre to be built on the plot which neighbours rival Telecity’s IFL acquisition.

UKFast plans to expand into office space at the building as staff numbers grow, but it will retain its headquarters at City Tower. The £16m turnover business has around 200 staff and wants to double that figure over the next 18 months. Eventually the Technopark building will be kitted out with a crèche, a gym, a health spa and a cinema.

Jones continues “We plan to convert part of the ground floor into a 2.5 MVA data centre straight away with dedicated connectivity to all providers in the UK, helping improve connectivity around Manchester and connections to London. In the longer term we’ll develop the whole of the three floors into 8MVA.”

“The project represents a £20m investment over the next three to five years. It’s allowing us to secure our future and at the same time provides us with the flexibility that we need at this stage in our massive growth plans.

“If we sell our existing data centre space in Trafford quicker than expected we can move the project forward.”

Mr Jones worked closely on the deal with Chris Oglesby, chief executive of property firm Bruntwood which acquired a controlling interest in Manchester Science Parks in 2012.

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote