daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #41
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

In Croatia breaking the red light rule is one of the most expensive: up to 700EUR, few points and very likely ban on driving up to 6 months

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #42
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
In Croatia breaking the red light rule is one of the most expensive: up to 700EUR, few points and very likely ban on driving up to 6 months
WOW!But when you think about its correct,driving over red can cost a katastrophe
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #43
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

WOW ! That hurts ! But on the other side, I think this is much more dangerous than driving 5 km/h (or even much more) over the speed limit on motorways ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You drove 5 years without a licence ???
Yes. 1 year in Egypt, 2 years in Singapore, 1 month in Venezuela and 2 years in France ! I was underage at the time Now I wouldn't do it. Too many police controls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptscout View Post
But its very fair from France that they generally not send any tickets to some countrys. So, i can report that the radar fixs are working very exactly - [email protected] no flash, 56 flash. In 2011 i made around 20 photos there.
Careful ! If you've got Belgian, Italian, Luxembourguish or German license plates, you will receive them at home as France & these countries have signed such treaties ! With other license plates, you'll only have to pay if they stop you. Immediately of course !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
@ GROBIN
no.5 is ridiculus.

(...)
This is la France ! The country of Liberté, Égalité & Fraternité ! (especially the first word ! ) Even my mum who drives VERY slowly got caught with a similar speed. Entering a town, but in a forrest section ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
yep,lucky i never had anything serious done before so i could choose in which month i gave up my driving licence.most people do it in the vacation time but i need my driving licence mostly in the summer months so i choosed april
They give you the right to choose ? Lucky you ! Seriously, in which cases they don't ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
In Bulgaria you start with 39 points, but you can loose 10 at a time for red light, not using the seat-belt, speeding with more than 40 over the limit (12 pts &€250) etc. Smaller fines go without points, or with 3 to 5. You can go to payed courses and exam and get back 13 points once in 12 months (means that if I have 20 points and go to such exam now and get 13 more (33), I wont have right to go again until same time in 2013). If you don't have any fine for a period of 24 months, your points get automatically back to 39. If you loose all points, you can't get your driving licence for at least 6 months.
When car get's flashed by speed camera (or other CCTV - red light, wrong lane etc.), you have to go to the police and declare who drove, otherwise the owner of the car gets the fine. If the car is registered to a company - the manager has to declare who drove or, as responsible for the whole company and it's actives - gets the fine.
Interesting ! In France, you start with 12 points, but you can lose 8 at a time. Under 3 years with a driver's license, you start with 6 little points & you mustn't get any fine to have all 12 points after 3 years ! You don't have to declare who was driving the car if you don't want to (lots of pics made from behind), but then the owner always pays the fine, without losing any points. (which shows how much this system is only about money and not about security ...)

In Poland, you start with 0 point. If you get 24 points, you can say goodbye at once to your driver's license. & you can have all 24 points at once, as now Polish cops tend to film you a lot... Now I think Poles on this forum will correct this statement if I'm wrong ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; January 5th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #44
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

I am not sure but i think when you haven´t done anything serious in the last 4 years you can choose when you will give up you driving licence within the next 12 months.if your already have too much points or did something serious in the last time they take it immediately.thats what i belive is right but better inform yourself correctly somewhere
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #45
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

Careful ! If you've got Belgian, Italian, Luxembourguish or German license plates, you will receive them at home as France & these countries have signed such treaties ! With other license plates, you'll only have to pay if they stop you. Immediately of course !

I know that a contract of the EU exists but I never received anything with German plate. Nearly all of my photos are also without a face (flashing from behind is anyway usually practiced) and therefore unvalid in Germany.

My Limit on the Autoroute is 180 with co-driver and 170 alone - if a blue Subaru Impreza would stop me, I would have only to pay the 90€ (thats also fair).
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #46
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Yes. 1 year in Egypt, 2 years in Singapore, 1 month in Venezuela and 2 years in France ! I was underage at the time Now I wouldn't do it. Too many police controls ...
And you were never caught?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #47
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol

A relative of mine, when he was 16 used to go with his family to sell stuff at markets and they let him to drive the small truck for several km on state roads early in the morning. Not to mention even smaller children running with their parents' "Vespa" across the countriside. Speed cameras and alchool tests also were unknown back then. Those were the 70s.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #48
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I read these stories often, just yesterday there was some news about a Dutch trucker who was on his way to England. It turned out he was driving trucks for 30 years without a license. The chances of getting caught are pretty minimal actually (unless you draw attention, but there is little patrolling on Dutch motorways these days).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #49
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I know that a contract of the EU exists but I never received anything with German plate. Nearly all of my photos are also without a face (flashing from behind is anyway usually practiced) and therefore unvalid in Germany.

My Limit on the Autoroute is 180 with co-driver and 170 alone - if a blue Subaru Impreza would stop me, I would have only to pay the 90€ (thats also fair).
This is also my experience with German license plates. I've been flashed several times in France with different German license plates without ever getting any mail from them. I normally stick to around 160 on the autoroute and keep some money in the car in order to pay the 90 euro's right away if I get caught. Until now, that has happened only once, but then for crossing a solid line (overtaking on a two lane road).

When it comes to fines in 2011: 0 (zero) in approx 80.000 km. At least, none that has reached my mailbox yet... Year before I got one for doing 86 km/h in a 60 km/h zone in The Netherlands. I got pulled over by a police officer with a laser gun. It was 100 metres before the German border where on the same road the speed limit increases to 100 km/h. What surprised me was that I wasn't forced to pay the fine right away, but would receive it in the mail (once again with German licenseplates).
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #50
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

I don't think I got any in 2011 but I fondly remember my big 2010 speeding ticket when I was chatting away with my sister in the car and failed to notice a 70km zone near an intersection on the N36, that cost me €134 for driving 21km over the limit

And then there's the problem of my neighborhood not having enough parking spaces: people'll dump their car anywhere on the curb, between trash cans, in dead ends etc. I parked on a dead end curb in my own street and got a nice fat €52 parking ticket out of it.

I only drive like 12k per annum so any ticket is probably one too many, then again, I got hit up for €70 last summer because I mistook a pedestrian green as a good opportunity to cross the road by bike
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #51
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

@Bodygmol Luckily enough, I never got caught.

@ptscout & koloite - Don't you cross 159 km/h For 30 km/h above the speed limit, if you get pulled over, you'll have big problems as they will take your driver's license. My sister's boyfriend's father drives in France with German license plates (& German driver's license) & he sticks to that to pay the 90€ fee ("procédure simplifiée") and get right away. If he does more, they will suspend his driver's license, even though it's German !

Anyway, it's good to know they don't send these fines even to Germany ! One of my 2 cars has Polish license plates, & Poland has no treaty with France

P.S.: Is there any link to these treaties between countries about fines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
I don't think I got any in 2011 but I fondly remember my big 2010 speeding ticket when I was chatting away with my sister in the car and failed to notice a 70km zone near an intersection on the N36, that cost me €134 for driving 21km over the limit

And then there's the problem of my neighborhood not having enough parking spaces: people'll dump their car anywhere on the curb, between trash cans, in dead ends etc. I parked on a dead end curb in my own street and got a nice fat €52 parking ticket out of it.

I only drive like 12k per annum so any ticket is probably one too many, then again, I got hit up for €70 last summer because I mistook a pedestrian green as a good opportunity to cross the road by bike
Which country ?

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #52
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I read these stories often, just yesterday there was some news about a Dutch trucker who was on his way to England. It turned out he was driving trucks for 30 years without a license. The chances of getting caught are pretty minimal actually (unless you draw attention, but there is little patrolling on Dutch motorways these days).
In 2008 I moved to Ohio and tried to change my Florida driver license for an Ohio since I was a resident there again. Ohio said no and that my SSN was flagged by the North Carolina DMV. They couldn't tell me why, only that I had to call North Carolina. So I did. It turns out in 1998 when I was 20 I had a speeding ticket (105mph in a 65mph) and my license was suspended for 6 months. which I knew about and still drove and didn't care. I paid my fines and thought after 6 months the license would reinstate on its own. Apparently I was wrong! So it turns out technically I had been driving on a suspended license for 10 years! I moved to Florida after North Carolina and got a license there and kept it for years. Even after I moved to Oklahoma for work. Every time I got pulled over by the police they would say they couldn't pull information on me because Florida is one of a few states that do not link/share information with other states DMV. I've got out of so many traffic infractions due to this. Or perhaps it was my charming good looks... who knows

In the end I had to pay the state of North Carolina their $99 reinstatement fee ... 10 years later btw in order for Ohio to issue me a license.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #53
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Beats me why US does not have a unified system for this kind of things...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #54
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Certain segments of the political spectrum would start screaming about "big government." Don't get me started.

Seriously, it's debatable whether the Federal government, constitutionally speaking, could do that (issue driver's licenses) or take the responsibility (financially and from the point of view of management) for coordinating the states. Or would want to. And converting 50 existing state bureaucracies (or private companies handling licensing for the states), plus the District of Columbia and so on, to a federal one might, at this point, be more trouble than it's worth.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #55
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Which country ?
The good ol' NL.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #56
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
@Bodygmol Luckily enough, I never got caught.

@ptscout & koloite - Don't you cross 159 km/h For 30 km/h above the speed limit, if you get pulled over, you'll have big problems as they will take your driver's license. My sister's boyfriend's father drives in France with German license plates (& German driver's license) & he sticks to that to pay the 90€ fee ("procédure simplifiée") and get right away. If he does more, they will suspend his driver's license, even though it's German !
I only know this side - http://www.radars-auto.com/contraven...de-vitesse.php

A partir de 40 Km/h au dessus de la vitesse autorisée, une suspension immédiate du permis de conduire s'ajoute aux sanctions ci-dessus.
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #57
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

A partir de 40 Km/h au dessus de la vitesse autorisée, une suspension immédiate du permis de conduire s'ajoute aux sanctions ci-dessus.
I'm afraid that information is dated. According to this site: http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr..._cle2c593e.pdf they'll suspend your license for 3 months when exceeding the speed limit with 30 km/h or more.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #58
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

For some reason, I thought the French had a higher tolerance for speeding before being fined by radar or camera. Where I live, you get a $40 fine for speeding over 12 mph/20 kmh from a speed camera.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #59
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:

Now even 30 km/h may mean your license is taken by the police & you gotta go home by foot & leave your car right there. So be cautious when you come here & keep under 30 km/h above the speed limit.

Old January 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #60
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

My first and last fine (since 2006 with ~150.000km driven)... 200€ & 4 points for not respecting a yield signal joining a motorway service lane...

The policeman told me that it was the lower possible fine for that concept because nobody brake on my fault and I didn't endanger the traffic flow (my face at that moment -> ). I think I should have waited until 6am to make sure that anybody was willing to pass...
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote