daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM   #21
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 757

What's low platform boarding?
Xelebes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:40 AM   #22
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Many newer LRT systems have light rail vehicles with low floors that align with low level platforms that are 14" above the rails to provide level floor loading. In the United States, the low floor vehicles typically have a stepped design with high floors in the ends. San Jose has vehicles with this configuration:

Houston and Minneapolis plus the light rail systems under construction in Seattle, Phoenix, and Charlotte have similar low floor vehicles with level floor loading at station platforms.

Many older light rail systems in the United States have light rail vehicles with high floors and no provision for level floor loading of passengers except by ramps for wheelchair passengers that serve only one set of doors at the front of the train. The trains are outfitted with bridge plates that can be lowered to meet the top of the ramps. Typically, the driver has to leave the cab to deploy the ramp. Baltimore has this configuration:

Sacramento, Denver, and Salt Lake City also use high floor vehicles without level floor loading except via ramps that serve only the doors at the front of the trains.

As mentioned in a previous post, Los Angeles, Saint Louis, Calgary, and Edmonton use high floor vehicles in conjunction with high level platforms at all stations for level floor loading at all doors of the trains.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #23
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The variety of configurations for light rail vehicles and stations extends well beyond the options mentioned above. San Francisco Muni has light rail trains with folding steps so that they can serve high level platforms in the downtown transit tunnel and low level platforms at many of the above ground stations. Boston has begun deploying newer low floor light rail vehicles; however, the platforms have not been rebuilt to match the floor height, so there is no level floor loading even with the new low floor trains.

Last edited by greg_christine; June 2nd, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:15 AM   #24
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Oh, ok. I haven't don't my share of travelling so I don't know as much some others here do.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM   #25
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10401

Very nice and very ambitious, IMO.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM   #26
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Yeah, this city is growing as fast as it can - even if it means having thousands of people homeless. I think it's as bad as the land boom of 1905 - not proportionately but numerically. So it means that we're frantically trying to keep pace with our infrastructure. But lack of available labour seems to be the only thing holding us back.

Anyways, South Extension is currently being expanded. North extention through the ghost station and NAIT is currently being planned. Edmonton's LRT line has been too short for too long.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #27
Holland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I really love the Calgary and Edmonton LRT systems. It's great that a city the size of Edmonton in North America can have such a good transit system. I like the look of those trains too, actually!
Holland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM   #28
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
I really love the Calgary and Edmonton LRT systems. It's great that a city the size of Edmonton in North America can have such a good transit system. I like the look of those trains too, actually!
While I love Calgary LRT only, honestly I don't think this ambitious plan is ever going to become reality for the next century.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:51 AM   #29
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode of bund View Post
While I love Calgary LRT only, honestly I don't think this ambitious plan is ever going to become reality for the next century.
A few legs won't be built but three legs are a must and the mayor is currently pushing for the three legs. We have the funding to pull it off anyways. The labour crunch is the hardest part.
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #30
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

LRT parking at Century Place at risk

Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Thursday, June 14, 2007

People using the south LRT line may have to do without parking at both the Southgate and Century Park stations.

Instead, a surface parking lot for LRT riders may be built on provincial land along Anthony Henday Drive, possibly around 127th Street.

Coun. Bryan Anderson said Thursday that he's been pushing city officials to work with the province to find parking sites along the Henday.

If the South LRT eventually heads west from 111th Street to 127th Street, before heading south again, the LRT will actually run along the Henday for that stretch, said Anderson.

"Why wouldn't you have a 5,000-stall surface parking lot and a station right there, so that people from Leduc County, Beaumont, Devon, even people from Sherwood Park who come on the Anthony Henday, park, get on the LRT and go downtown?"

Even before a station is built at the Henday parking site, he said, shuttle buses could bring riders from the parking lot to the LRT line.

The land along the Henday is reserved as a transportation and utility corridor - usable for surface parking but not a permanent structure.

Both the city's transportation manager and the mayor this week suggested a 1,200-stall parking garage at the Century Park station could cost as much as $50 million. The project hasn't been tendered yet, but construction costs are rising about 20 per cent a year, which might push the parkade cost from $30,000 to $40,000 a stall.

"To spend $40,000 a (parking) space is not cost-effective," Mayor Stephen Mandel said during a committee discussion of the issue.

Rick Ducharme, the transportation manager, was even more emphatic about the estimated $50-million parkade cost.

"I could never justify it, and I'm the most passionate person on transit around," he said.

The city originally planned to have parking for LRT riders at both the Southgate and Century Park stations, the last two stations being built in the current South LRT project.

Parking at Southgate was scrapped last fall when the city and Southgate Centre mall couldn't agree on the price of a parkade they would both use.

Southgate and Century Park stations are to open in 2010.

[email protected]
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #31
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Personally, I would rather not have the large surface lot. Either the parkade or no Park n Ride at all.
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #32
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Construction images made by 24karat off of connect2edmonton.

Old June 27th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #33
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Fantastic! Go Edmonchook!
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #34
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Anyone have photographs of the current system?
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #35
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Excellent news.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #36
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee-kÝbenhavn View Post
Anyone have photographs of the current system?
I'll see what I can dig up.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #37
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

great news for edmonton!!!
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #38
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Not really news, just stating what's happening around town. LRT expansion was announced in 2003, Health Sciences was completed in January 2006 and now we're working on part 2 of the South Leg.

The real news is when we finally get confirmation of the North Leg to NAIT.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #39
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Interesting system you got there
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #40
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

It's a single line, lol.

Goes back and forth.