daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #141
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolony View Post
Future Map for 2015-2020:
map with proposed line names:

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...-approved.aspx

Rail_Serbia liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #142
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Silly names. And even more silly is to name them by the time when none of the new lines are under construction and only one is existing now. What's the point for that?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Chilenofuturista liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #143
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

23 years ago when I came to Edmonton from Shanghai, Shanghai didn't have an inch of subway, Edmonton already had 11km of LRT. 23 years later Shanghai's subway length is the number one in the world, Edmonton barely had 20km.

Chilenofuturista, saiho liked this post
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #144
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode of bund View Post
23 years ago when I came to Edmonton from Shanghai, Shanghai didn't have an inch of subway, Edmonton already had 11km of LRT. 23 years later Shanghai's subway length is the number one in the world, Edmonton barely had 20km.
Do you know population of Shanghai and Edmonton??
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #145
Falubaz

Still its a shame for such a city like Edmonton. For decades they didnt care about the transportation at all.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #146
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Between 1980 and the present, the only Canadian cities that have invested heavily into expanding their rapid transit networks have been Vancouver and Calgary.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #147
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Still its a shame for such a city like Edmonton. For decades they didnt care about the transportation at all.
True, public transport might not be really well developed in Edmonton but trying to compare it to Shanghai? Megalopolis of 23 milion?? Come on it is just plain silly.
Besides, Edmonton, like Atlanta, Houston, Winnipeg or many other places in North America, is a low density city mostly dependent on cars.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #148
ssiguy2

When you compare Edmonton's rather small system to other similar sized systems in much bigger US cities, Edmonton's ridership numbers are very good. The Seattle LRT, which also has a downtown tunnel, is of similar size but gets just one third the ridership of Edmonton's LRT despite Seattle being a MUCH larger city.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #149
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Seattle proper is smaller than Edmonton in population.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #150
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Do you know population of Shanghai and Edmonton??
Don't need to be reminded of the population of each city, I am perfectly aware of their respective population size. Never want Edmonton to catch up with Shanghai, no need for that, just want to see more determination, more dedication, and a more expanded LRT system in Edmonton being built in a relatively short period of time.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #151
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

North LRT

North LRT is a new light rail line being built between Churchill station and NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology).

Photos from city of Edmonton page (http://photos.edmonton.ca/Transporta...13/i-6g7R9k2):

geometarkv, Kolony liked this post
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #152
ssiguy2

Will this be run as a totally different line of will it be interlined from the southern section. We seem kinda of stupid to have to transfer at a downtown station to go a little 3 km.
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #153
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I just posted a video of the Edmonton Light Rail Transit. It was so cold that day, I shiver just thinking about it.

Luke

Kolony liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #154
Falubaz

Will the extention be fully segregated from the road traffic?

Old April 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #155
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Why wouldn't a northern city like Edmonton build its entire system underground? You're going to limit the number of people who'd consider using it in winter drastically by putting it above ground.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #156
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Why wouldn't a northern city like Edmonton build its entire system underground? You're going to limit the number of people who'd consider using it in winter drastically by putting it above ground.
Not really. Stockholm has a good number of stations on its tunnelbana above ground and we definitely get the -20˚C winters. Doesn't seem to hit our ridership much. As long as you're not waiting there for too long one doesn't even notice. It's very expensive to tunnel the whole thing so providing heated areas where one can wait for the train is just as good a solution.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #157
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

How do you know it doesn't hit your ridership? Have there been studies counting the number of people that avoid your system because some of it is above ground? Edmonton winters are far harsher than what you get in Stockholm and Edmonton is one of the wealthiest metros on the planet. They can afford to invest in an underground system. Few Edmontonians are going to stand in -35C waiting for a train and then there's the wear and tear on the trains, track, etc.

I live in Toronto, a city with far milder winters, and where I go is dictated by whether it has underground subway. I just won't travel to a place if I have to wait for transit outside when its -20C or colder. I doubt I'm alone. This just seems rather short sighted on Edmonton's part.

* Calgary might be the only metro in north America with higher per capita income than Edmonton.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 18th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #158
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
How do you know it doesn't hit your ridership? Have there been studies counting the number of people that avoid your system because some of it is above ground? Edmonton winters are far harsher than what you get in Stockholm and Edmonton is one of the wealthiest metros on the planet. They can afford to invest in an underground system. Few Edmontonians are going to stand in -35C waiting for a train and then there's the wear and tear on the trains, track, etc.
I'm sorry that we're just not as wealthy or as important as Edmonton in our little impoverished city that has above ground transport.

That said, there are definite correlations between ridership and weather. The winter period is by far the busiest time in Stockholm for public transport and generally ridership drops off markedly in warmer weather when people cycle and walk far more. The above ground stations do not seem to suffer in ridership compared to the underground stations. SL publishes very detailed reports on ridership and travel trends so I'm pretty convinced this is the case. Besides, when we have a transit system that handles 739 million passenger trips per year (all PT modes) in a city around the same size as Edmonton, I'd say that we're doing okay.

You're right, though, the winters are milder here, but once you get to -20˚C, it's pretty darn cold enough, yet it doesn't really affect ridership here. How about the other "super rich and highly affluent city" Calgary. Their C-train primarily runs above ground compared to Edmonton, yet they attract more ridership and have a more successful system as they saved money building above ground. Cost-benefit ratio for the C-train is far more favourable than the Edmonton system due to the expense of tunnelling and comparatively poorer ridership due to the more restricted system in Edmonton.

Quote:
* Calgary might be the only metro in north America with higher per capita income than Edmonton.
And they built above ground for the C-Train.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Calga...736/story.html

Good comparison in that article there.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #159
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:

I live in Toronto, a city with far milder winters, and where I go is dictated by whether it has underground subway. I just won't travel to a place if I have to wait for transit outside when its -20C or colder. I doubt I'm alone. This just seems rather short sighted on Edmonton's part.

Didn't realize people in Toronto were so soft? Guess Western Canadians are a harder breed and can handle a bit of snow and cold.

As for LRT vs Subway, tens of millions per km verses hundreds of millions for km... hmmm?

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpr...costs-revised/

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #160
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Putting heated areas is so much more effective than tunneling all the way. Anyways there are plenty of "poorer" cities in Europe and Asia that have better public transport than their "affluent" North American counterparts.

Svartmetall, jonasry liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta, canada, edmonton