daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #161
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Putting heated areas is so much more effective than tunneling all the way. Anyways there are plenty of "poorer" cities in Europe and Asia that have better public transport than their "affluent" North American counterparts.
Exactly, as I said in my first comment, we have heated waiting areas and that is more than sufficient for such a climate rather than needlessly tunnelling. If you need to tunnel through densely populated areas, that's something different to expensive tunnelling due to climate.

Sapporo also had an innovative solution for its subway system - just cover the overhead viaduct. Still much cheaper than tunnelling!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #162
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

I still don't get how this system is going to work.

Will the section from the South split at Churchill going north and northeast or will this be a completely different spur line?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #163
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 757

It splits north of Churchill and changes over just south of South Campus.

The biggest delay to opening now is getting the new signalling system working.
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #164
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Will the extention be fully segregated from the road traffic?
The extension will have some level crossings, so, technically, no.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #165
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

The extension is not grade separated! Too bad. Anytime you mix rail and cars/pedestrians, there are going to be accidents. It is a sad fact!

P1290282 by Luke Ord, on Flickr

During much of the street running, there is a small curb separating the tracks from the roadway.

P1290286 by Luke Ord, on Flickr

As you can see by the extension cords to keep the cars warm, Edmonton gets COLD in winter!

P1290276 by Luke Ord, on Flickr

Nexis, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by lkstrknb; April 30th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #166
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Why wouldn't a northern city like Edmonton build its entire system underground? You're going to limit the number of people who'd consider using it in winter drastically by putting it above ground.
I was very impressed by the Edmonton LRT in winter. I am from Chicago where all the subway tunnels and platforms are around 2 Celsius (35 Fahrenheit) during winter. In Edmonton, I walked down to an underground subway platform and it was very pleasant down there, around 13c (55f). All the above ground stations have enclosed and heated areas to stand or sit. These made riding transit much more bearable during winter!
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #167
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

More funds for Edmonton LRT expansion
Wednesday, May 28, 2014

THE Canadian government announced on May 26 it will allocate $C 150m ($US 138m) towards the expansion of the light rail network in Edmonton through the New Building Canada Fund's Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure programme.

The funds will go towards the construction of the $C 1.8bn southeastern section of the Valley Line from Mill Woods Town Centre to 102 Street in the city centre. The 13.1km line will have 25 stations and is initially expected to carry around 31,500 passengers per day. Construction is expected to begin in 2016 with the aim of commissioning the line in late-2020.

The additional funding brings the total federal commitment to the project to $C 400m, including $C 250m from PPP Canada. The Alberta provincial government is providing $C 250m towards the project through its Green Trip public transport fund, $C 150m in additional funding and a $C 200m interest-free loan. The remaining $C 800m will come from municipal government sources.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #168
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6088

The image shows a lower train than the current system. Is the new line (extension) going to be low-floor?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #169
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I'm sorry that we're just not as wealthy or as important as Edmonton in our little impoverished city that has above ground transport.
You're way out of line and I don't find that funny or constructive.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #170
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're way out of line and I don't find that funny or constructive.
Don't be so prissy. You constantly point out across SSC how wealthy and superior Canada is to every other country, so I agreed and said that we might be poorer by comparison in terms of GDP, but we do alright with our above ground transport. As for being out of line, that's another matter. I don't feel that a light hearted comment at your pomposity necessarily qualifies as a remark that is out of line. You want to complain, feel free to complain to an admin, though I would recommend one like Gothicform or Matthieu that doesn't know either of us particularly well.

Even if you took umbrage to that remark, the rest of my post is valid and refutes your claim about winter weather hitting our ridership, but if you want to only address that little section then that's fine. Oh, and as a side note, you have a problem with my posting you PM me, don't clog the threads in this section with off-topic remarks.

Last edited by Svartmetall; May 30th, 2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #171
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
The extension is not grade separated! Too bad. Anytime you mix rail and cars/pedestrians, there are going to be accidents. It is a sad fact!

P1290282 by Luke Ord, on Flickr

During much of the street running, there is a small curb separating the tracks from the roadway.

P1290286 by Luke Ord, on Flickr
This looks like a normal situation in many, many European countries. The German Stadtbahn systems, though largely separated, have sections with crossings and with traffic interaction. They transport hundreds of millions of people every year without fault, so it is not inconceivable that it will be safe to run with limited traffic interaction. It's all about driver education, properly signalised and designed intersections and mechanisms to attempt to mitigate interactions. If these are done to a high standard then there is no reason it should be an issue. Just to the south is a perfect example - the Calgary C-train is a highly successful system (and I cited this earlier) where the track is largely at grade, possesses crossings, but still manages to be fast and capture ridership without the cost outlays of tunnelling the system. The Cost-benefit analysis heavily favours such expansions so I can understand why they've done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
As you can see by the extension cords to keep the cars warm, Edmonton gets COLD in winter!

P1290276 by Luke Ord, on Flickr
Yep, it's common across cold countries including my own (Stockholm suburbs have these at all of the shared car parking zones). I'm not sure if you are saying that the network should have been tunnelled due to the cold, but again, I've shown an example (and I can show more, though I am less familiar with the networks) where a cold country has a transport network whose patronage is not negatively influenced by its weather. In fact, the inverse is true where patronage increases in the winter period.
Old March 21st, 2015, 07:34 PM   #172
dimlys1994

From Edmonton Journal:

Quote:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Prepa...664/story.html

Preparatory work on new Valley Line LRT to Mill Woods starts Monday
MARCH 20, 2015

EDMONTON - Preparations start Monday for Edmonton’s new Valley Line LRT to Mill Woods, as city contractors operate hydro-vac trucks along the line’s corridor to locate buried utilities.

Drilling crews will be at work along the future Valley Line right-of-way in preparation to relocate the utilities for about three weeks, the city said in a news release Friday.

The utilities must be moved before construction begins in 2016, the city said.

The work will “produce some noise,” but crews will only be at each location for a few hours

Map of the proposed line:
http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...wis-farms.aspx

Nexis, geometarkv liked this post
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #173
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Long-derailed LRT expansion may or may not open in May 2015

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...2015-1.3005603

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #174
Scizoid.Trans.Prog.
platfusy i koderaści sio

Likes (Received): 312

Yeah first, they wanted to open it in summer of 2014. Then in december. Then some time in 2015...

Nie udzielam się na FPW.

24/1.8EX 50/1.4EX H85/1.5 70-300vc
Scizoid.Trans.Prog. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #175
Kolony
Skyscraperman

Likes (Received): 240

I've seen the stations, they're practically abandoned, no construction crew anymore, well-lit and operable, but unused. Test trains drove here and there every once in a while, but the extension won't be open until May or June of this year (hopefully).
Kolony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #176
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 757

Right now they are doing the hand-over of the signalling system documentation and Thales is dragging their arse like a dog with diarrhea. Ugh. Six weeks to hand this over? Are you kidding me?
Old April 5th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #177
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
dragging their arse like a dog with diarrhea
That's just plain nasty.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #178
dimlys1994

From Metro Edmonton:

Quote:
http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...ine-lrt-rails/

Edmonton Ski Club plans to ride the Valley Line LRT rails
May 21, 2015

The future construction of the Valley Line LRT will require changes to bridges and other features, and those have elicited outrage among some — but not from the 100-year-old Edmonton Ski Club.

Instead, the club, located close to a future LRT stop in the Cloverdale neighbourhood, sees potential in proximity.

The new stop will make the facility the first ski hill in North America to be accessible via light rail, said Ken Saunders, the club’s president. “There’s definite opportunity. From your business commuter stopping at the club on the way in to do a workout or, imagine, the school groups or underprivileged able to access the facility”

Old May 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #179
Scizoid.Trans.Prog.
platfusy i koderaści sio

Likes (Received): 312

We have end of the May. Any news about line 2 opening? Nothing yet?

Nie udzielam się na FPW.

24/1.8EX 50/1.4EX H85/1.5 70-300vc
Scizoid.Trans.Prog. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #180
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
The image shows a lower train than the current system. Is the new line (extension) going to be low-floor?
The new Valley Line will use low-floor LRVs.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta, canada, edmonton