daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1
joamox

Likes (Received): 474

Barcelona - Tourist snapshots

Just got back from one of the greatest cities on earth. I have passed by once before, but I always thought Barcelona was kind of overrated. I have since amended that opinion. Anyway, here are my tourist snapshots, hope people will like them.

Starting off at Passeig de Gracia, this is one of the city’s grandest avenues and probably the widest. It began as a semi-rural road from Barcelona to formerly separate Gracia. Urbanization plans began in 1821 but was quickly disrupted and taken up again in 1827. By the beginning of the 20th century, it had become the most fashionable street in town.

This image shows a row of buildings, belonging to the city block dubbed the Illa de la Discordia, an allusion to the clash of styles. It includes three of the most famous Moderniste (Art Nouveau) buildings in Barcelona: Casa Batllo by Antoni Gaudi, Casa Amatller by Puig I Cadafalch and Casa Lleo Morera by Lluis Domenech i Montaner. It also futures Casa Mulleras by Enric Sagnier.

The block from a different angle. The corner of Lleo Morera has an ornate tower, which can be seen all the way from Park Guell. You can't really make it out in the sun but the bulbous shape is partly covered in colourful mosaics. It was built between 1902 and 1906 and was the first residential building by Domenech. As with the other two buildings, it was the result of a remodelling of an existing building.

Across the street of Consell de Cent, Passeig de Gracia shows her somewhat more conventional side.

The roof of Casa Batllo, The other two buildings, though original, seem to have taken inspiration from older architectural types: cream puffy baroque and the northern stepped gable variant in the case of Amatller. Gaudi’s Battlo, however, is so distinctive, it’s hard to place it in any category at all. It is fully of wavy shapes, bone-like columns, maritime allusions and shapes resembling the spine of a reptile. The roof is topped with a scaly superstructure and this cross in cracked ceramics. The story goes that it was damaged in transport but that Gaudi liked the effect it made.

Passeig de Gracia is also home to another of Gaudi’s creations: Casa Mila. Known as La Pedrera, it was built between 1906 and 1910. It looks almost modern even today (where Frank Gehry got his ideas?) and featured the city’s first underground car park. The iron work balconies were created by Josep Maria Jujol.

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Now-and-then photo collection on Mexichino Flickr

Last edited by joamox; January 6th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #2
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 412

nice.....this is one city I want to see someday.
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

beautiful, lovely Barcelona....thanks for sharing your pics.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244623

Lovely, very nice photos from Barcelona
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #5
joamox

The city’s cathedral was begun in 1298 under the king Jaume II. However, it wasn’t entirely finished until the 20th century. The gothic façade was completed in 1898 and the central spire in 1913. They were completed according to the original plans from 1408, which are attributed to the French architect Charles Galters. The towers in the back were built in the 14th century in a very different style from the ornate façade.

These buildings on Passeig de Piccaso are on the edge of the old town and face Parc de la Ciutadella. The park was originally the site of a citadel, which was torn down in 1888 to make way for the Universal Exhibition of that year. The arcaded facades remind me of Rue de Rivoli in Paris. I haven’t been able to confirm whether they were built in 1888, though this seems likely.

The Arc del Triomf, just to the north of the park, was built for the universal exhibition. It was designed by Josep Vilaseca i Casanovas, in a colourful and original take on the Spanish mudejar syle. The frieze was executed by Josep Reynes.

La Llotja was originally built in the 1380s but remodelled in neo-classical style in 1771. It housed the city’s stock exchange until 1994 and the original gothic hall was formerly used as the main trading room. The building is now used by local government offices.

I snapped this beauty on my way to the airport. It is situated on Via Laietana, a broad and relatively modern street, which slices through the old town. The road was first projected in 1879 and started in 1907, amid a great deal of controversy. It was finished in 1926.

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places

Last edited by joamox; January 7th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3165

Nice pics, good descriptions too. Barcelona is definitely one of the great cities of Europe imho. I love it.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7
JoHaN 15
Requiscat en pace

Likes (Received): 3885

Beautiful city! I'm definitely going there the next time I'm visiting Spain
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #8
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHaN 15 View Post
Beautiful city! I'm definitely going there the next time I'm visiting Spain
With me!? cuz if you go back to Spain without me, I'm gonna murder you!

Wondeful city and pix.
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #9
joamox

Panorama

Bigger version, click to enlarge.

This is taken from the Castell de Montjuic. It was originally built in 1640 but destroyed in 1705. It was soon rebuilt in its current star-shaped form. It lies on the Montjuic hill.

Old January 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #10
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Absolutely manificent. I agree that Barcelona is one of the ten best cities in the world.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #11
joamox

Palau Nacional was built as the centrepiece for the 1929 International Exhibition. It now houses the museum of Catalonian art. The building was built by Eugenio Cendoya and Enric Catà, under the supervision of Pere Domènech i Roura, The design is surprisingly conventional compared with the 1888 exhibition.

The 1929 exhibition was also where the Mies van der Rohe built his famous German pavilion. It was meant to be a temporary structure but was reconstructed in 1986. Unfortunately, the sun prevented a good photo.

The communications tower was built by Santiago Calatrava for the 1992 Summer Olympics. It was used to transmit television coverage for the games. It is supposed to represent an athlete holding the Olympic torch. It also doubles as a sun dial.

The Palau Sant Jordi was one of the principal venues for the 1992 Olympics. It was designed by Japanese architect Arata Isozaki.

This spot, the fountain in the middle of Placa de d’Espanya, was formerly a gallows. The fountain was built by Josep Maria Jujol in 1929. Jujol was formerly a pupil of Gaudi, though there is little to suggest so in this work.

The picture is taken from Las Arenas, the former bullring. It has been converted to a shopping and entertainment centre by Richard Rogers. It was inaugurated in March 2011. The bullring was built in 1834.

The arsenal of the citadel is one of three buildings to have survived the demolition of the hated citadel before the 1888 exhibition. It is currently occupied by the Catalan parliament. The other buildings to have survived are the chapel and governor’s palace. The citadel, built by King Philip V, was once the biggest fortress in Europe. Philip was the first bourbon king of Spain and victor in the Spanish War of Sucession. He laid siege to Barcelona in 1714 as the city had supported the Habsburgs against him. After the fall, Barcelona lost all privileges and the Catalan language was banned. Funny they would use such a building as the Catalan parliament, but hey.

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #12
joamox

Sagrada Familia seen from Carrer de Provenca. The image shows the apse and parts of the passion façade facing west. The apse is the oldest part of the building, while the passion façade was only completed in the second half of the 20th century. The towers were completed in 1976, and sculpturing began in 1987. Decorations by Josep Maria Subirachs,are very different from Gaudi’s nativity façade and is rather austere with it’s cubic and angular figures. This seems to be in accordance with Gaudi’s original wishes though, and makes sense given the subject matter: the death of Christ.

The hospital de la Santa Creu i de Sant Pau was started in 1902 according to the designs of Lluis Domenech i Montaner. The complex was completed in 1930 by his son. The combination of gardens, pavilions, colour and art was thought to have positive therapeutic effects.

The nativity façade facing east was constructed between 1894 and 1930. It depicts the birth of Christ and symbolically faces the rising sun. As is typical of Gaudi’s style, the façade features a lot of shapes drawn from nature. Gaudi even intentioned the façade to be painted, but this is unlikely to ever happen.

Parc Guell was commissioned in 1910 as a private housing estate by the industrialist Eusebio Guell. Only two houses were ever built. Gaudi based his layout loosely on the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi. The park has great views over the city.

The Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia, originally conceived as a neo-gothic project, original design by Francisco de Paula del Villar, was begun in 1882 and taken over by Gaudi in the following year. Construction is still ongoing.
Nonetheless, the church was consecrated in November 2010. It is expected to be complete by 2026 or 2028.

Old January 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #13
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 412

nice photo update.
lovin' them.
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #14
joamox

View of the city across Port Vell,

Bigger version, click to enlarge.

Old January 16th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #15
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33980

atunningly charming with all those Gaudi's.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
joamox

Back in the old town, the structure next to the cathedral contains fragments of the old city wall. The wall originally had 74 towers and was 16 metres high. It was added to in medieval times but was originally built by the Romans.

The Palau de Generalitat on Placa de Sant Jaume is the seat of the Catalan government and presidency. The oldest part of the building is from 1403. The renaissance facade was designed in 1596 by Pere Blai.

One of the bell towers of the cathedral. The style is more representative of Catolonian gothic than the façade.

Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar in the Born district is the only church in town built entirely in Catalan gothic. The church was built between 1329 and 1383 at a time when Catalonia wielded considerable maritime and mercantile influence.

Carrer de la Princesa is a relatively wide street running north to south from the Via Laietana to the Parc de la Ciutadella.

Last edited by joamox; January 17th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #17
joamox

A few leftovers...

The city seen from Port Vell

Pedrera

Battlo

Pedrera

la Llotja again

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #18
joamox

Panoroma from the top of Parc Guell,

Bigger Version (click to enlarge)

END

Tags
spain in the world