daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

IAD/DCA/BWI | Washington/Baltimore Area Airports

The Baltimore/Washington area is served by three major airports:

Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport (BWI)
Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA)

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #2
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Reagan National Airport

image hosted on flickr

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport by todd landry photography, on Flickr
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

DCA tower and terminal

image hosted on flickr

Gravelly Point Park 34492 by tedeytan, on Flickr
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #4
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD):

Some photos and information on Washington-Dulles International Airport which is one of United Airlines largest hubs and the 9th busiest airport in the US in terms of international passenger traffic. Aside from United, twenty three foreign carriers serve the airport as well such as Avianca, Copa Airlines, Emirates, Saudia, Qatar Airways, Ethiopian, South African Airways, KLM, Scandinavian Airlines, Lufthansa, Air France, British Airways, ANA, and Korean Air among others. FYI: For you architecture buffs out there, the main terminal is a well-known landmark designed by Eero Saarinen. Also a branch of the Air and Space Museum is at Dulles Airport as well and includes an Air France Concorde supersonic airliner, the Space Shuttle Discovery, and a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, among many other things.

Last edited by diablo234; January 30th, 2014 at 03:24 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #6
obsessed with 80's

Likes (Received): 0

The inside of Reagan National Airport is beautiful.
obsessed with 80's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #7
SkySquirrel

Likes (Received): 7

Design changes coming to Reagan National (DCA)

Two major design changes are coming to Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA). Both involve the larger, north terminal which opened in 1997.
  1. A fourth pier will be built for commuter flights. Currently, there is one single, ground-level gate that handles all commuter flights; from there, many passengers are transported via shuttle bus to their aircraft. The new pier will use traditional loading bridges. At least one hangar will be removed for this project.
  2. New security areas will be built. At present, each of the 3 piers has its own security checkpoint. This can be problematic when a passenger needs to transfer flights across different secure zones (unless a "throat" connector was built that I'm not aware of). Of course, this means that the Main Hall will be inside the secure zone, and, as such, accessible to ticketed passengers only.
http://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/03/d...rport/slide/1/
SkySquirrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #8

Likes (Received): 1439

Is Reagan Airport a long-term solution?
The noise it makes is quite extensive.
Then again Dulles is to far away.

A new airport somewhere close to DC, but not exactly where Reagan is?

Also, the land that Reagan is on, would be high-value real estate.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #9
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 22

Dulles will soon be connected to Metro. That will help. It is far out but nothing will be built closer. BWI also has the potential for good connections to DC if they ever improve the connection between BWI Rail station and the Airport. Problem is that National is very convenient and I've told most visitors it is worth $100 per ticket over the other two.

What really needs to happen is that Dulles needs to suck it up and build a new terminal C/D for/with United.
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #10
nomadicwind
Nomadic Wind

Likes (Received): 8

Dulles is the only viable option. It is the largest in terms of land. The land is ready for more development. The layout is not bad. Just need to replace those old crappy concourses and expand the main terminal vs building a new terminal on the north end
nomadicwind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #11
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

Been a loong time since I've been through Dulles. Are they still using the "mobile lounges"? Or have they been pretty well phased out for the new train system?

Would like to see them replace the boarding area for the mobile lounges with a new attached concourse to the main terminal, and then finally replace the old United terminal that was meant to be temporary in the first place.

Then we actually have the modern efficient layout like Atlanta or Denver or the new Heathrow terminals. Would make Dulles a much more pleasant airport to fly out of.
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:15 PM   #12
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 397

From my understanding, the mobile lounges are now only used to shuttle international passengers, who have not been pre-cleared, to the International Arrivals Building.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #13
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 22

Dulles Concourse A/B is very nice. C/D is trailer trash garbage. Mobile lounges used primarily for International arrivals. There is a rather nice train system these days. Except that for C/D it is built where a new C/D would go leaving travelers with a long 500 ft walk back to the trash that should have been replaced years ago.
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #14
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

C/D is all united which is the main hub airline for Dulles. They'd be shouldering most of the cost, and most US airlines are on very tight margins these days. Until it becomes functionally obsolete for them, or the airport authority throws some money at them, its not going anywhere.
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:01 AM   #15
SkySquirrel

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
From my understanding, the mobile lounges are now only used to shuttle international passengers, who have not been pre-cleared, to the International Arrivals Building.
I think the lounges might also be used as a direct route between the main terminal and the "D" side of the C/D concourse. This is simply too long a walk using the AeroTrain, especially since the "C" station is offset from the concourse, as someone mentioned earlier. There was once a moving sidewalk between the C and D sides, but this appears to have been removed.

It's also possible that mobile lounges are occasionally used to take passengers directly to and from aircraft if no regular gates are available. Not sure how often this happens nowadays, if at all.

Regarding international arrivals, there was once a plan to build a second underground peoplemover. This plan would have channeled all international arrival passengers into a "sterile corridor" within the concourse which leads to a train similar to the existing one, but on a separate track that only went back and forth to the International Arrivals Building. This plan appears to be long-abandoned.

On another note, does anyone remember Concourse G? This was a separate, ground-level concourse located south of the C/D concourse, and was accessed by a conventional shuttle bus. You got to the bus by an escalator down from the middle of C/D, since these gates were used by United Express. Concourse G was decommissioned in 2006 and demolished soon after.
SkySquirrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasM View Post
Dulles will soon be connected to Metro. That will help. It is far out but nothing will be built closer. BWI also has the potential for good connections to DC if they ever improve the connection between BWI Rail station and the Airport. Problem is that National is very convenient and I've told most visitors it is worth $100 per ticket over the other two.

What really needs to happen is that Dulles needs to suck it up and build a new terminal C/D for/with United.
Unless the hub and spoke system is trashed, Dulles will never be a good transfer airport. None of the big four will build a usefull domestic network out of Dulles, even if Reagan was closed, in fact many midsized destinations on the east coast lack a direct flight to Reagan, which is ridiculous considering it is the capital of the country, even large urban areas like Augusta-Richmond has shitty connections to the capital of the nation.

If your destination is a midsized city on the easter half of USA, Dulles is the last airport I would choose to fly through if I'm coming from Europe or Asia.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #17
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3596

Air India brings you closer to, Washington, D.C the capital of the United States of America with its nonstop flight thrice a week from 07th July 2017.

Washington, D.C, formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as "Washington”, "the District”, or simply "D.C.", is the capital of the United States. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital.

Washington, DC, is a compact city situated on the Potomac River, Bordering the states of Maryland and Virginia.

The centers of all three branches of the federal government of the United States are in the District, including the Congress, President, and Supreme Court. Washington is home to many national monuments and museums. It's also home to iconic museums and performing-arts venues such as the Kennedy Center.

Explore Washington, flying on our state-of-the-art aircraft B777-200LR offering world class facilities to passengers.

Presenting our schedule Effective 07th July 2017 Delhi - Washington - Delhi
http://www.airindia.in/delhi-to-washington.htm
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw

Last edited by patel2897; April 27th, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 08:32 AM   #18
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 864

Flight Report: San Pedro Sula - San Salvador - Washington and back.
Just wanted to share a flight report on a trip I had a couple of months ago

Avianca_2013
by L M, on Flickr

Flight 1
Avianca
San Pedro Sula, Honduras to San Salvador, El Salvador
Airbus A320

Aeropuerto Intl. Ramon Villeda Morales thru Comalapa International Airport
40 mins aprox - Distance 158 m

It's been months since I wanted to share with you guys this flight report on this journey I had last February, I know it was quite a few months ago, but just have the time.

Upon my arrival to San Pedro Sula Intl. Airport I arrived very early at 4 am, you can see the check in counter section. (which doesn't have the Air Europa counter)

IMG_9252 by L M, on Flickr

VIP waiting lounges

Boarding the Avianca A320 with Star Alliance livery!

View of the cabin.

unfortunately foggy windows

And we are off!!

Great day for flying!

Border with El Salvador

We landed!!

View of the San Salvador Intl. Airport which is a huge Avianca Hub.

Casa de Avianca

Thanks for the ride!!

Walking towards my next gate with 40 mins layover.

Flight 2
Avianca
San Salvador, El Salvador to Washington D.C
Airbus A319

San Salvador Intl.Airport thru Dulles International Airport h
4.3 hrs aprox - Distance 1894 m

After going thru security again, ready to board the A319 taking me to DC.

Boarding.

Our neighbor

on pushback

View from the Aeroman hangars.

And we are off!

Breakfast.

Already in US territory

Approach to Dulles Intl.

Landed!

Thanks for the ride!

Baggage claim

Flight 3
Avianca Airlines
Washington D.C to San Salvador, El Salvador
Airbus A319

Dulles International Airport to San Salvador Intl.Airport
4.3 hrs aprox - Distance 1894 m

Reaching this Iconic and beautiful terminal, that just reminds me of Oscar Niemeyer's arquitecture.

On my way to the trains.

Terminal B

I decided to wait for my flight on the Turkish Airlines lounge.

Honestly one of the best lounges I've been with great food selection.

Showers

Bar and lounge

View of the tarmac.

My plane all ready!

A380 British Airways

Our Avianca neighbor and the majestic A380

A330 SAS

Taking off

Dinner was actually quite good.

Sunset

I really like the lighting effect on this A319

Landing in San Salvador

While I take my next trip I will go to the Avianca lounge.

Flight 4
Avianca Airlines
San Salvador, El Salvador to San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Airbus A319

San Salvador Intl.Airport to San Pedro Sula Intl.
40 mins aprox - Distance 158 m

First time in this airport that I have to board the plane on tarmac an not use the gateways, they got us on a bus but I enjoyed the ride as I had a chance to see more airports.

The flight back home was done on an old A319 with old TACA livery.

Sadly no window this time.

Already in SAP on my way to immigration and baggage claim

I have a few more flight reports from Dulles and National that I will share with you shortly.

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190

shakman liked this post
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:37 AM   #19
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 864

Flying:
Washington D.C (Reagan National Airport DCA) - Indianapolis International Airport (IND)

Flight 1
American Airlines
Washington, D.C to Indianapolis, Indiana
CRJ 700

Reagan National Airport to Indianapolis International Airport
2 Hrs aprox - Distance 500 m

Since I moved to DC my first trip was to Indianapolis, I was very excited as I was gonna see two new airports DCA and IND, we made the reservation in American Eagle and our plane was a CRJ. I made this trip in July ... my apologies for taking so long to post it, I have more trips to post and will do that soon.

DCA is an American Airlines hub for local us flights, the terminal was designed by famous Argentinean arquitect Cesar Pelli

A great and sunny day for flying, driving up to American's terminal at DCA

This design with the domes reminds me a lot of Alicante's Airport in Spain.

American Counters

The friend that was taking us to Indianapolis

Casa de American

View from the cabin

View of the monuments from the runway.

Ready for take off.

A small video of the take off, at the end you can see the Pentagon.

You can see the pentagon in the picture.

Minutes into the flight we pass flew above Washington Dulles International airport (IAD) this is the airport that receives all the transatlantic flights.

Descending towards Indianapolis

Approach

View of the terminal

The Indianapolis Airport's traffic is mostly flights within the US, although they have some international flights to Toronto and charters to Cancun and Punta Cana.

View of the main lobby

Famous Indy 500 cars

On my way to baggage claim

Downtown Indianapolis

Flight 2
American Airlines
Indianapolis, Indiana to Washington, D.C
CRJ 200

Indianapolis International Airport to Reagan National Airport
2 hrs aprox - Distance 500 m

We got to the terminal with enough time to check in and walk around the airport, this time we had a smaller plane CRJ200.

On our way to the gate.

I was quite surprised about this terminal honestly, not only is it new and modern; I also liked the fact that it was made as all the new modern terminals being built around the world that are just one building. Instead of the usual multi-terminals that look old and separated from each other very common in US airports.

This little guy is taking me back to Washington DC

View from the cabin

Ready for take off

I was very surprised they gave us a small snack.

Descending towards DCA

Approach over the Potomac

View of the capitol building.

Landed!

We parked on the tarmac, so we will take the bus to the terminal.

Thanks for the ride!

View of the terminal.

Baggage claim

Exit towards the taxis and above is the Metro station.

Hope you guys enjoyed this report and I will soon share a couple of more flights.

[/SIZE]

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, bwi, dca, dulles, friendship airport, iad, northamerica airport hubs, reagan national airport, us airports