daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #361
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

may be the cars should drive around this beast in the race
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #362
the sock

how wide will this one be at the base ?
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #363
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
size comparison:

credit goes to the artists on SSP! Too bad that the current design of Kingdom Tower is not yet available for comparison.
Sorry, but I think you guys are being bamboozled, and allowing your fetish for height blind you to the obvious.
Look at the picture above , the proportions are all wrong. The glass panes of the cladding are about 3 to 4 times taller than the other two buildings per floor. Or look at the lobby floors. They are completely out of proportion.

Now this image looks more realistic. I think it's just a publicity stunt to get attention and investors. Pretty smart in my opinion, but I don't believe they have any intention of building such a large building. They might still build this structure but at a much smaller scale, maybe around 350m to 400m and 80 to 100 floors. Still a very impressive building.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; June 6th, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #364
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's obviously just a poor concept, but good luck trying to get to these people here
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #365
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Sorry, but I think you guys are being bamboozled, and allowing your fetish for height blind you to the obvious.
Look at the picture above , the proportions are all wrong. The glass panes of the cladding are about 3 to 4 times taller than the other two buildings per floor. Or look at the lobby floors. They are completely out of proportion.

Now this image looks more realistic. I think it's just a publicity stunt to get attention and investors. Pretty smart in my opinion, but I don't believe they have any intention of building such a large building. They might still build this structure but at a much smaller scale, maybe around 350m to 400m and 80 to 100 floors. Still a very impressive building.
Actually I think the first scaling is correct, there are about 2-3 floors in between those protruding white 'rings'.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #366
Ferahim

Likes (Received): 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post

Unreallistic idea, then there is no reason to built it. Also this render is not final

Last edited by Ferahim; October 18th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Ferahim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #367
the sock

is there any pics of the proposed site please ?
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #368
hater

Likes (Received): 1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
is there any pics of the proposed site please ?
hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #369
the sock

so there is land already there then ,thankyou hater .
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #370
patrykus

is there really? The tower goes on the tip of the island which i thing is still not ready, right?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #371
hater

Not so far, they are on the 4th kilometre of artificial islands
while the tower will be located on the 8th kilometre .
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #372
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

I have my doubts about such a structure on reclaimed land.

Any other examples of former wetlands being used as the foundations for a supertall?
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #373
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

^Burj al Arab in Dubai was built on an artificial island, but it's barely over 300m.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #374
ThatOneGuy

Wasn't the original WTC built on reclaimed land? (Reclaimed a long time ago, but still...)
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #375
patrykus

Most likely. I remember they recovered some old ship from construction mud last year that sank when water was still there. That place was just next to the original twins footprint. BUT as you noticed I thing there is significant difference when you put a tower on land just reclaimed (which may still be settling) than on the land reclaimed long time ago that actually may not differ from land formed naturally. Not to mention wtc towers foundations were drilled in to the bedrock so the fact if the land were reclaimed or not probably didn't matter at all.

Old June 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #376
hater

UAE and Saudi slam Azerbaijan World’s Tallest Tower

BAKU: Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia were in agreement yesterday as the countries came together to criticise plans by Azerbaijan authorities to build the world’s tallest tower in Baku.

Announced earlier this month, the Azerbaijan Tower – which is expected to be complete in 2025 – will stand at 3,645 feet, some 27 per cent higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and even taller than the upcoming 3,281 foot Kingdom Tower slated for construction in Jeddah.

The tower in the Azerbaijan capital will soar over the Caspian Islands, a collection of 41 man-made islands connected by bridges off the shores of the Caspian Sea, and is expected to include several five-star hotels.

“This is just showing off, plain and simple,” said Saudi minister for Tall Things, Firaz Mataz. “Can’t they at least let us build our tower first before jumping aboard the bandwagon?”

The chairman of the UAE Association for Outlandish Architecture has labelled the Azerbaijan Tower “vulgar”. Speaking to The Pan-Arabia Enquirer via Facebook chat, Hans Tandde claimed that despite the new record breaker, the Burj Khalifa would remain the world’s favourite.

“It’s just too much,” he said. “At least with the Burj we kept it, you know, nice and minimalist, not too brash or showy. And man-made islands? Seriously, those things are so 2007.”

One positive element drawn from the announcement in Baku was that Tom Cruise will be in his 60s by the time the tower is opened, and therefore probably unable to frolic about on the side of it.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...t-tower-plans/
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #377
ThatOneGuy

lol^
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #378
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7563

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #379
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2921

It's a fat & not nice looking version of Burj Khalifa to me...sorry guys, I don't like it.

PS: I hope a new design will be chosen...
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #380
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

LOL, how amusing. I guess if your city has nothing to offer, you need the tallest / biggest / most expensive project to get some attention. Otherwise you'll be forgotten pretty fast.

Quote:
“This is just showing off, plain and simple,” said Saudi minister for Tall Things, Firaz Mataz.
. And the Kingdom Tower isn't? Or is the area of Jeddah City so densly populated that one really needs to build a 1km tower?

Quote:
“Can’t they at least let us build our tower first before jumping aboard the bandwagon?”
Eh... no. You started it, so you better get used to it. I want a new tallest proposal every year, yeah!

Quote:
The chairman of the UAE Association for Outlandish Architecture has labelled the Azerbaijan Tower “vulgar”.
. Every skyscraper is a phallus, no?

Quote:
Speaking to The Pan-Arabia Enquirer via Facebook chat, Hans Tandde claimed that despite the new record breaker, the Burj Khalifa would remain the world’s favourite.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Quote:
“It’s just too much,” he said. “At least with the Burj we kept it, you know, nice and minimalist, not too brash or showy. And man-made islands? Seriously, those things are so 2007.”
Seriously? Come on...

Quote:
One positive element drawn from the announcement in Baku was that Tom Cruise will be in his 60s by the time the tower is opened, and therefore probably unable to frolic about on the side of it.

Tags
baku