daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #381
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by hater View Post
UAE and Saudi slam Azerbaijan World’s Tallest Tower

BAKU: Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia were in agreement yesterday as the countries came together to criticise plans by Azerbaijan authorities to build the world’s tallest tower in Baku.

Announced earlier this month, the Azerbaijan Tower – which is expected to be complete in 2025 – will stand at 3,645 feet, some 27 per cent higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and even taller than the upcoming 3,281 foot Kingdom Tower slated for construction in Jeddah.

The tower in the Azerbaijan capital will soar over the Caspian Islands, a collection of 41 man-made islands connected by bridges off the shores of the Caspian Sea, and is expected to include several five-star hotels.

“This is just showing off, plain and simple,” said Saudi minister for Tall Things, Firaz Mataz. “Can’t they at least let us build our tower first before jumping aboard the bandwagon?”

The chairman of the UAE Association for Outlandish Architecture has labelled the Azerbaijan Tower “vulgar”. Speaking to The Pan-Arabia Enquirer via Facebook chat, Hans Tandde claimed that despite the new record breaker, the Burj Khalifa would remain the world’s favourite.

“It’s just too much,” he said. “At least with the Burj we kept it, you know, nice and minimalist, not too brash or showy. And man-made islands? Seriously, those things are so 2007.”

One positive element drawn from the announcement in Baku was that Tom Cruise will be in his 60s by the time the tower is opened, and therefore probably unable to frolic about on the side of it.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...t-tower-plans/

seriously, some of this comments are hilarious Saudis talking about showing off? And uae guys complaining about man made islands? It just shows that if something extremely big is undertaken all competitors unite in complaining. The same is with Americans bashing the burj khalifa, and now Arabs bashing this.

It also MAY show something more. I mean if high profile representatives united to bash this project together this can be the first real sign that this project is not that unrealistic as we (well at least I) thought. I still have no doubt the designs we've seen are just poor concepts and still am waiting for something real, but this news points some light at this project.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 17th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #382
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

i am surprised they take it so serious already, although it will not start rising for a few more years.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #383
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 181

awful awful awful!!!
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #384
kamranyeezy
Кямран Дадашев

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
awful awful awful!!!
chill men
kamranyeezy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #385
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61272

I want to work for the "UAE Association for Outlandish Architecture".
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #386
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i am surprised they take it so serious already, although it will not start rising for a few more years.
Well Saudis have to make a decision now whether start construction with the current plan or go trough another expensive redesign (height increase). So I can imagine they are pissed if they really found out Azerbaijan Tower is for real. This can lead to an epic mega tall race, which may end with either cancellation or extreme height decrease (if one of the parts decide it is not worth to go taller) or with two really tall towers
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #387
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
seriously, some of this comments are hilarious Saudis talking about showing off? And uae guys complaining about man made islands? It just shows that if something extremely big is undertaken all competitors unite in complaining. The same is with Americans bashing the burj khalifa, and now Arabs bashing this.

It also MAY show something more. I mean if high profile representatives united to bash this project together this can be the first real sign that this project is not that unrealistic as we (well at least I) thought. I still have no doubt the designs we've seen are just poor concepts and still am waiting for something real, but this news points some light at this project.
Satire article It's not meant to be taken seriously
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #388
patrykus

damn just visited this site (panarabiaenquirer.com). I got fooled so easily

So this tower for me is still in the "dream stage"

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #389
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well Saudis have to make a decision now whether start construction with the current plan or go trough another expensive redesign (height increase). So I can imagine they are pissed if they really found out Azerbaijan Tower is for real. This can lead to an epic mega tall race, which may end with either cancellation or extreme height decrease (if one of the parts decide it is not worth to go taller) or with two really tall towers
well if kingdom tower just gets built like they said it will be the tallest building on the world by 2019 or even earlier. till 2025 are 6 more years, so kingdom tower would still have had the title as long as petronas or taipei 101
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #390
hater

Likes (Received): 1223

Quote:
Saudi minister for Tall Things

hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #391
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar

well if kingdom tower just gets built like they said it will be the tallest building on the world by 2019 or even earlier. till 2025 are 6 more years, so kingdom tower would still have had the title as long as petronas or taipei 101
Yes, and that should be enough. Even a 1000m+ tower won't hold the title forever.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #392
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

That article was hilarious !
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #393
patrykus

The only difference is that they know already about Azerbaijan Tower and I guess they would like to have another 5-10 years of ruling the sky Besides Dubai for instance started building its tourist destination position already in 1999 completing burj al arab hotel. In 2019 they won't need any megatall to be recognizable tourist spot. I mean look at jeddah. Who is visiting this place now? After opening kingdom tower they will have this 6 years to build theirs tourist market from scratch. And then we will have another tallest in completely different place. Will it be enough time to build a strong tourist position in jeddah? Quite unlikely.

But anyways since this article is just a joke this tower will most like won't happen so this discussion is pointless anyway.

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #394
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
UAE and Saudi slam Azerbaijan World’s Tallest Tower

BAKU: Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia were in agreement yesterday as the countries came together to criticise plans by Azerbaijan authorities to build the world’s tallest tower in Baku.

Announced earlier this month, the Azerbaijan Tower – which is expected to be complete in 2025 – will stand at 3,645 feet, some 27 per cent higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and even taller than the upcoming 3,281 foot Kingdom Tower slated for construction in Jeddah.

The tower in the Azerbaijan capital will soar over the Caspian Islands, a collection of 41 man-made islands connected by bridges off the shores of the Caspian Sea, and is expected to include several five-star hotels.

“This is just showing off, plain and simple,” said Saudi minister for Tall Things, Firaz Mataz. “Can’t they at least let us build our tower first before jumping aboard the bandwagon?”

The chairman of the UAE Association for Outlandish Architecture has labelled the Azerbaijan Tower “vulgar”. Speaking to The Pan-Arabia Enquirer via Facebook chat, Hans Tandde claimed that despite the new record breaker, the Burj Khalifa would remain the world’s favourite.

“It’s just too much,” he said. “At least with the Burj we kept it, you know, nice and minimalist, not too brash or showy. And man-made islands? Seriously, those things are so 2007.”

One positive element drawn from the announcement in Baku was that Tom Cruise will be in his 60s by the time the tower is opened, and therefore probably unable to frolic about on the side of it.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...t-tower-plans/
They sound like two teenage girls complaining! Can’t they at least let us build our tower first before jumping aboard the bandwagon?

Seriously, those things are so 2007.
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #395
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5763

Quote:
Originally Posted by hater View Post
[B]
“This is just showing off, plain and simple,” said Saudi minister for Tall Things, Firaz Mataz.
LoL, says the minister of TALL THINGS...

Is this article for real? Because it is funnier than a late night comedy skit. And how come we don't have a minister for Tall Things? Huh, I want to know.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #396
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5763

And now here's another contender.

Quote:

Chinese construction company Broad Group has announced ambitious plans to construct the world's tallest skyscraper in an implausibly swift 90 days. If the target is met, the 838-meter (2,750-ft) "Sky City One" will take only a twentieth of the time that the Burj Khalifa, the world's current tallest building, took to construct, and will stand 10 meters (33 feet) taller still upon completion. The secret to the rapid construction is prefabrication. Approximately 95 percent of the building will have been put together in modular form before work even commences on site.

Broad has form in the area of rapid prefab construction. The company, which primarily makes air conditioning, has already demonstrated its Broad Sustainable Building (BSB) concept, albeit at a much smaller scale. It built the 15-story New Ark Hotel prototype in one week and a 6-story demo pavilion in a single day. Broad is clearly confident that the SBS principle can be applied to the 220-story Sky City One, perhaps taking confidence from a 30-story prototype withstanding a simulated "magnitude 9 earthquake."

Broad has described Sky City One is a self-contained earthquake-resistant carless city which will not only accommodate approximately 100,000 people, but provide them with retail and leisure facilities too.

According to CNN the Sky City One will contain 1,000,000 sq m (10,800,000 sq ft) of usable floor space and its 220 floors will be connected by 104 separate elevators. Broad CEO Zhang Yue reportedly claims that the tower will consume only one fifth of the energy of a conventional building of its size (if you can call any building this tall conventional) due to sustainable design approaches built into the BSB concept including 15-cm (6-inch) thick exterior walls and quadruple glazing, both of which up Sky City's insulation.

CNN reports that the the Sky City One is projected to cost US$628 million: positively cheap when compared to the $1.5 billion Burj Khalifa. Work is due to commence on site in November 2012 with completion due the following January, though final approval from Chinese authorities is yet to be granted.

Sources: CNN, Broad Group
So is this one more pie in the sky or are they really going to build it?
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #397
hater

Likes (Received): 1223

so just 10 metres taller than Burj khalifa?
I hope they change the desing tht thing is very ugly

hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #398
ThatOneGuy

Don't even post that hideous piece of shit here...
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #399
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

I'm with you on that one..

Btw comments by Saudi Arabia and U.A.E is just unbelievable!!....This is so childish....I mean a minister says something like "can they atleast let us finish our tower" is the best part I was LMFAO.
dunefreezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #400
ThatOneGuy

It was satire.

Tags
baku