|daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one|
|January 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Likes (Received): 17
Mountain State Tours: Elkins, West Virginia
Elkins, West Virginia, the county seat of Randolph County, is home to Davis and Elkins College and a growing tourism appeal on the western fringe of the Monongahela National Forest. Named after Stephen Benton Elkins, a U.S. Senator from the state, Elkins boasts a stable downtown, the Mountain State Forest Festival and scenic railroad excursions.
Elkins was incorporated in 1890 by Senators Henry Gassaway Davis and Stephen B. Elkins to serve as the headquarters for a vast coal, timber and railroad empire that the men headed. Named for the junior Senator from the state, Stephen Benton Elkins, the city boomed after the railroad was completed to the city. The tour of Elkins begins with the Third Ward School. Overlooking Harrison Avenue west of downtown, this prominent building served students from 1909 until 1976. The building was sold at auction in June 1977, and then renovated into low income apartments. We ventured inside, but I am unable to find my quick iPhone photographs – but it resembles every bit of a low income development.
The Randolph County Courthouse, along Randolph Avenue in Elkins, West Virginia‘s Wees Historic District, was built from 1902 to 1907. Randolph County dates to 1787 when the region was part of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Named for a distinguished Virginia jurist, Edmund Jennings Randolph, the first county seat was Beverly. In 1898, the county court ordered that the government center be moved to Elkins as it was a more central location in Randolph County. Construction began in April 1902 and was completed in 1904 at a cost $200,000. The large-scale Richardsonian Romanesque building was finished with rock-faced stone, and featured an asymmetrical facade, with a rounded corner and square tower, in addition to a red tiled roof. The design was similar to Fulton’s Barbour County Courthouse in Phillippi, with the exception of that the corner tourelle was on an opposite corner. The round arched style that the courthouse exhibited when it was constructed was adopted and used extensively by Henry H. Richardson (1838-86) in the late 19th century. The Randolph Enterprise newspaper called the courthouse “one of the most handsome, substantial and conveniently arranged and furnished Temples of Justice” in a December 23, 1903 article.
10 While the courthouse is beautiful, it is not centrally located. Placed to the north of downtown and not aligned to any prominent vista, the courthouse’s location was most likely chosen because of land availability.
11 The Richardsonian Romanesque stone jail, which housed prisoners in Randolph County, was constructed in 1910. The building, facing High Street, was designed by T.R. Whiteman of Elkins.
12 This 2.5 story Colonial Revival style residence, at 7 South Randolph Avenue in the Wees Historic District, features a stone exterior and a pyramidal roof with a hipped dormer on the facade. There is a wrap-around hipped-roof veranda. The house was built ca. 1910. A two-car garage, with a similar stone face, was completed in 1920.
13 A 1990-era Neo-Colonial Revival style office building.
14 The Hutton Building hosts Joey’s Bike Shop and other small businesses at 17-19 Third Street in downtown. The structure was built around 1900.
15 The Wilt Building, at 301-303 Davis Avenue, was home to the Elkins Opera House and other businesses. It was constructed in 1898 in the Second Empire style.
17 The Harvey Building, at 305-311 Davis Avenue, is a three story commercial structure built in 1897.
19 The Tygarts Valley Bank Building at 317 Davis Avenue was completed in 1913 in the Classical Revival Style.
20 The U.S. Post Office and Federal Building was built in 1917 at 401 Davis Avenue in Elkins, West Virginia. Designed in the Classical Revival style, the three story neoclassical building was used until 1976 and then as City Hall.
23 The Elkins Garage Company built this two-story commercial building at 325-331 Davis Avenue ca. 1915.
24 The Cain Building, at 209 Davis Avenue, was built in 1923 by James Cain.
25 The Grand Theater, at 205 Davis Avenue, was built in 1909 by T.R. Whiteman.
26 The new U.S. Post Office and Federal Building was designed by Irving Bowman & Associates and was built between 1974 and 1976. It is four floors and is 56 feet high. It was named after former West Virginia Senator Jennings Randolph on October 30, 1984.
28 The Ray Building, at 211-213 Henry Avenue to the left, was built in 1925 by Henry Ray.
Next up along the Mountain State Tour is Marlinton and Lewisburg!
a. Mountain State Tours: Elkins (blog): http://urbanup.net/2012/01/09/photog...west-virginia/
b. Elkins, West Virginia: http://urbanup.net/cities/west-virgi...west-virginia/
c. Downtown: http://urbanup.net/cities/west-virgi...inia/downtown/
e. Third Ward School: http://urbanup.net/cities/west-virgi...d-ward-school/
f. Randolph County Courthouse and Jail: http://urbanup.net/cities/west-virgi...ty-courthouse/
|February 6th, 2012, 04:36 AM||#3|
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA, USA.
Likes (Received): 1
Awesome tour...thanks for the photos. Looks like a great little spot to call home.