daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #41
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
If I said such a stupid things as He did (mentioned above), I immediately stop to write any more on this forum. That colud be understand as assault and I think that I do not deserve that.
well, nhf but you sound like him in some details. let's observe the problem of ghost-riders: you have made a spectacle with red-white markers in that story. do you really think that they are not conscious that they are driving in wrong direction? i'd say 1 of 1000, even if that. they are indeed conscious what are they doing, but they are: a) idiots who don't know how the road is dangerous b) suicidal persons.
here is my list of priorities in the cases of ghost-riders: 1. and the most important to notify ghost rider in time. modern motorways are equiped with supervising systems, so it shouldn't be the problem. problem is in supervising people who often don't do their job good enough (i spoke to one of them recently and got that feeling) 2. to stop all the traffic on the motorway, without exceptions. also, education of drivers (for instance via media) is welcome because i have a feeling that too many drivers don't respect warnings obn dynamic signalization. 3. to catch an idiot and throw him to jail.
also, there can be 0. to prevent ghost-riders in their willings. beside conventional signs whoch often won't help, i've heard of automatic spikes on motorway ramps which blow tyres to vehicles in wrong direction. the only possible solution that works imo.

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #42
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you have made a spectacle with red-white markers in that story.
It is mentioned, by the way, as a measure in USA, not in EU. I did not express own opinion in that way. I connected red LED markers with another dangerous situations, different than WWD, in which you could think for red stoplights are red markers. What does that mean? Is it necessary to put down all the explanation? In other words, How could you explain the situation in which USA citizen meet flashing red LED markers on both sides in Croatian tunnels? Is there any American here to explain x-type what would be heppened, according to their WWD procedures?
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #43
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Absolute nonsense. Road signage is for people not known to the local situation. These people need to know the directions before the first decision-point. Withholding information for the other direction is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.
Not, it is not nonsense.

Many traffic safety manuals and research papers list the diamond type junction as much more prone to wrong way driving than parclos, for example. At a diamond junction, there are four turning possibilities on the secondary road, and 50% of those will lead to a disaster. Therefore proactive measures discouraging people from making mistakes are crucial.

A safe arrangement is usually a sum of a number of small proactive measures: logical signace, channelisation making the wrong manoeuvres difficult, using lights and reflective materials, careful geometry design, etc.

With the exception of compressed ones, at the diamond junctions there are usually two separate intersections on the secondary road, with a few hundred meters in between. These can usually be treated as two intersections in the signage, too.

Another option is the Danish way to show the information about wrong ways in the advance signs: http://maps.google.fi/?ll=56.667595,...120.7,,1,-0.58
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #44
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
In other words, How could you explain the situation in which USA citizen meet flashing red LED markers on both sides in Croatian tunnels? Is there any American here to explain x-type what would be heppened, according to their WWD procedures?
flashing? they don't flash in HR tunnels afaik. they flash in A and SLO tunnels, and only at the outer side of the curve.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #45
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Another option is the Danish way to show the information about wrong ways in the advance signs: http://maps.google.fi/?ll=56.667595,...120.7,,1,-0.58
That's much better than simply not showing all directions in advance. But in the concrete Danish example, I'd make the sign bigger and not sign destinations so close to the wrong-way signs.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #46
geor

Some of many ideas for the diamond interchange.
><
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #47
geor

Stoping wrong way driver without consequences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Rb...layer_embedded
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #48
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

In the UK, there are simple 'no entry' signs at the exits of motorways, except in Northern Ireland which also has red flashing lights below them.

Google maps
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #49
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethni View Post
In the UK, there are simple 'no entry' signs at the exits of motorways, except in Northern Ireland which also has red flashing lights below them.

Google maps
It is really a great advantage to have 3D projection for presentation own ideas. Unfortunately we do not have yet that.
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #50
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Absolute nonsense. Road signage is for people not known to the local situation. These people need to know the directions before the first decision-point. Withholding information for the other direction is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.
This is how it's typically done in California...

While it's similar to MattiG's diagram, In my diagram, the first sign shows where to go for both directions of I-5 (turn right to go north, straight to go south).
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #51
myosh_tino

Quote:
I suppose, vertical signals are together with horizontal. You use similar signalization as USA /California. In EU priority is symbol instead of words.
><
That's an old diagram that is not currently in use. Current California standard signage for this type of assembly is an upper sign that contains the standard red circle with a horizontal white bar symbol with "DO NOT" above the white bar and "ENTER" below it. The lower sign is the same "WRONG WAY" sign in your diagram. On both signs, the text is white on red.

What I find fascinating is how much European countries are investing to deter wrong way drivers (flashing lights, sensors, alerts to oncoming motorists, etc). Is wrong way driving that common of a problem in Europe? I don't think it's too much of a problem here in the US. Yes it happens from time to time but I don't think it's a common problem.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #52
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
What I find fascinating is how much European countries are investing to deter wrong way drivers (flashing lights, sensors, alerts to oncoming motorists, etc). Is wrong way driving that common of a problem in Europe? I don't think it's too much of a problem here in the US. Yes it happens from time to time but I don't think it's a common problem.
Wrong way drive participates with less than 1% in all traffic accidents in EU. I think that we have similar proportion as USA but we give this problem much more attention.Wrong-way drive is very hazardous action because it often leads to fatal head-on accidents. On the other hand, people are very much attracted by WWD. WWD could be a problem in new EU members state as they did not have MW before.

Last edited by geor; January 14th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #53
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
That's an old diagram that is not currently in use. Current California standard signage for this type of assembly is an upper sign that contains the standard red circle with a horizontal white bar symbol with "DO NOT" above the white bar and "ENTER" below it. The lower sign is the same "WRONG WAY" sign in your diagram. On both signs, the text is white on red.

You think on this:
><
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:10 PM   #54
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9158

Radi, is that you?!?

This is quite recently shot at the A6 Struma motorway, Studena intersection (Shell&McDonalds) - the VW is driving in direction Pernik/Sofia in the lanes in direction Dupnitsa/Greece... Actually they say the driver is a woman.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM   #55
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Radi, is that you?!?

This is quite recently shot at the A6 Struma motorway, Studena intersection (Shell&McDonalds) - the VW is driving in direction Pernik/Sofia in the lanes in direction Dupnitsa/Greece... Actually they say the driver is a woman.
According to the right blinking light swiched on, she knew that she drive wrong direction. How did it end?

Last edited by geor; February 4th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #56
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9158

They say she reached next intersection after driving about 10 km in the opposite direction, got out of the motorway on the roundabout there and turned into the right direction on other road. Nobody did nothing, the operator of 112 that was called by the guys that shot the video could not understand what was happening, as they found difficulties to explain directions and lanes So there wasn't police or something to intercept her. Video was shot at about 100 km/h they say.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #57
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

A58 Tilburg - Eindhoven on the 26th november 1997. The guy started racing away from the police

Close to where I live, als on the A58. Excellent behaviour by the truck driver

(Stabilized version, the original was tilted sideways)
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #58
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

In Ireland, we generally have these type of signs (similar to the U.S ones); they read 'Danger Wrong Way Turn Back':

Our 'No Entry' sign is different but will soon be changed (excluding the 'Danger Wrong Way Turn Back' sign):

Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #59
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post

That was suicidal!
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #60
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
A58 Tilburg - Eindhoven on the 26th november 1997. The guy started racing away from the police

Unbelievable the 1st video. What was the reason for the racing?
What are sanctions for this offence in NL?