daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #61
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
In Ireland, we generally have these type of signs (similar to the U.S ones); they read 'Danger Wrong Way Turn Back':

Our 'No Entry' sign is different but will soon be changed (excluding the 'Danger Wrong Way Turn Back' sign):
Please don't let it be misunderstood by ourselves from continent, do change that according to Wienna convention!
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #62
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
A58 Tilburg - Eindhoven on the 26th november 1997. The guy started racing away from the police

what the hell are these cops driving if they couldn't catch that poor Corsa?! a Citroen 2CV?!
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #63
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Yeah, seems perfeclty safe. Overtaking while ghost driving. Dude, think before you write stuff down...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #64
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah, seems perfeclty safe. Overtaking while ghost driving. Dude, think before you write stuff down...
i didn't mean overtaking him on straight parts. i just don't understand situations at 2:28, 3:23, 3:47... they were obviously waiting him to run out of fuel. at about 4:00 he turned in front of them and ran again into wrong direction. isn't that wtf?
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #65
geor

Yestarday evening we had boozy Macedonian truck driver on MW A1 between interchanges 1&2a (Zagreb-Zdencina) in wrong direction, fortunately without seriously bad consequences due to good MW traffic management and fast response. The pic shows blocked MW by trailer after attempting of turning back to the right direction.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3...6022012023.jpg

Last edited by geor; February 6th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #66
x-type
con los terroristas

where and how did he enter wrong direction? it is not that easy on Lučko toll gate due to barriers. or it was in direction north around Demerje?
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #67
geor

He was waiting three days at PUO Desinec (17km A1) because of severe wind gusts (Bora) on MW stretch between viaducts Hreljin & Bukovo. After taking a lot of alcohol, when MW opened, he started and turned back towards Zagreb instead to Rijeka, but was stoped at the bigining by other lorry drivers.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #68
x-type
con los terroristas

great
btw getting drunk at that place was probably quite expensive thing to do, especially considering that truck driver got drunk
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #69
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Most truckers have a pile of alcohol in their trucks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #70
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

I think people who go the wrong way by accident are just unfit to drive (stupid/blind/etc), but those who realize they are in the wrong but do it anyway, because they missed an exit or something, those are clinically insane, and should be punished accordingly (causing deliberate danger to others' safety)

it's basicly the same as sitting on a rooftop, randomly shooting a gun - you might not hit anyone, but that's just down to luck. you'd go to prison if you'd do that.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #71
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Interesting to see this topic being discussed. Just last weekend I was driving home from a get together and it was about 2am. I was on I-35 in downtown Kansas City and noticed a pair of headlights coming toward me from the on ramp. The best I could do was come to a stop, turn on my emergency flashers and keep flashing my headlights until the driver stopped at the end of the ramp and realized it was the wrong way and they turned in front of my to go the correct direction. I personally think the spike strips would a fantastic way to stop wrong way drivers and an expensive lesson for them to learn when they have to purchase new tires.
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #72
Man.Utd

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most truckers have a pile of alcohol in their trucks.
Most shocking thing i've seen so far, in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnBM2...eature=related

0:57 sec free wine for all truck drivers who took a Menu in this restaurant in a rest stop in France ! You can see the consenquences at 2:22 min almost the same thing like the Macedonian truck in Croatia ...

So if this happening in France (a country where laws are very strict), not shocking at all to see drunk truc drivers in Eastern Europe .
Man.Utd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #73
geor

[QUOTE=Man.Utd;
So if this happening in France (a country where laws are very strict), not shocking at all to see drunk truc drivers in Eastern Europe .[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, wrong way drive is not exclusive problem for one region or country. It is from the beginning international issue that we need to deal with, all together. Today there are too many options that need to be applied in order to save many innocent lives. It is showed some at the beginning of this thread. There are still a lot of them. Generally speaking, the installations of these systems depend on reliable resources and estimation of WWD risk at the critical point (interchange ramps) of the MW.

Last edited by geor; February 8th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #74
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post

The best I could do was come to a stop, turn on my emergency flashers and keep flashing my headlights until the driver stopped at the end of the ramp and realized it was the wrong way and they turned in front of my to go the correct direction.

I personally think the spike strips would a fantastic way to stop wrong way drivers and an expensive lesson for them to learn when they have to purchase new tires.
This is a good way how to behave in situations of WWD on MW. It is very important to be cool and not panic. Decision to avoid frontal impact is the first priority. Generally, WWD collision mostly happens on the left side of MW (excluded UK&left keeping country).

Last edited by geor; February 8th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #75
geor

When there is WWD on MW it is very important to detect it on time. Today, every interchange ramp has inductive loop set detection for counting traffic flow. If it is connected with alarm system, VMS & dynamic signs, you are able to get appropriate information concerning WWD. Slovenia has some kind of that system but it is not clear what they organize when WWD pass by two last VMS portals near interchange.

Last edited by geor; February 8th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #76
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Maybe this has been covered earlier in the thread but I know that Denmark tried a very effective method a few years ago when they installed a "directional traffic control" on a few exit ramps. Basically, it's a tyre shredder, but only if you're going the wrong way.

Seems pretty effective

IIRC the Danes tried this setup at exits from the Lillebæltsbroen bridge. I'm not sure if the system has been introduced anywhere else or if it's still there.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #77
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post

Seems pretty effective

IIRC the Danes tried this setup at exits from the Lillebæltsbroen bridge. I'm not sure if the system has been introduced anywhere else or if it's still there.
This is very forbidden in EU. Similar system in Austria is out of usage. AFAIK, only physical obstacles for WWD are applied in France, but they are not agresive like this above.
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #78
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
This is very forbidden in EU. Similar system in Austria is out of usage. AFAIK, only physical obstacles for WWD are applied in France, but they are not agresive like this above.
Well, Denmark is most definitely in the EU... or was it just recently banned?
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #79
geor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Well, Denmark is most definitely in the EU... or was it just recently banned?
The spikes are designed for points where speed doesn’t exceed 10 kmph and are not designed for applying at potentially high-speed MW,FW, EW ramps. They are effective when used in conjunction with gates at parking infrastructure, garages, toll plazas, and some cities bottlenecks.
In Austria, when tested, some right-way drivers seeing the spiked barriers hit their brakes and created a hazardous situation. Spike barriers have been tested to determine if they could be used at off-ramps to stop vehicles from entering the wrong way.They were found to be unsuitable. The spikes, even when modified in shape, did not cause the tires to deflate quickly enough to prevent a vehicle from entering the freeway.Finally, Snow and ice might prevent the spikes from folding down when driven over in the right direction

Last edited by geor; February 8th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #80
kanterberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
The spikes are designed for points where speed doesn’t exceed 10 kmph and are not designed for applying at potentially high-speed MW,FW, EW ramps. They are effective when used in conjunction with gates at parking infrastructure, garages, toll plazas, and some cities bottlenecks.
In Austria, when tested, some right-way drivers seeing the spiked barriers hit their brakes and created a hazardous situation. Spike barriers have been tested to determine if they could be used at off-ramps to stop vehicles from entering the wrong way.They were found to be unsuitable. The spikes, even when modified in shape, did not cause the tires to deflate quickly enough to prevent a vehicle from entering the freeway.Finally, Snow and ice might prevent the spikes from folding down when driven over in the right direction
It was mainly the "very forbidden in the EU" part I didn't quite understand, especially as the Danish system seems to be up and running. However, after some googling, it turns out the Danish spikes only deploy after a "ghost driver" has been detected. I can certainly understand that toll plaza styled spikes would be less appropriate at motorway off ramps.