daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

hkskyline's 2011 PORTO Photo Collection

My first Europe trip of 2011 brought me to Porto, Portugal's 2nd city. Having been to Lisbon before and after hearing some good reviews of this place, I took advantage of a dirt cheap flight and hotel combination to enjoy a few days here.

Porto is a hilly city. While the actual distances are not far on a map, going downhill then uphill to the church on the other side pictured here can be an intense work-out!

The Santos Ildefonso church is at the top of the hill and commands a good view of the city and rugged topography. The exterior is decorated with typical blue tiles, and their condition illustrate this structure's age.

Since the cathedral sits on a hill, there are views throughout of the city, the adjacent hills, and the river.

The Sé (cathedral) is not a particularly interesting structure, although imposing due to its location.

Port wineries lie across the river.

Homes along narrow alleys line the hillsides that stretch from the cathedral to the riverfront below.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/porto.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Great pictures! Porto always seems kinda rundown and dirty but that certainly brings charm to this city
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

You should post the other pictures to! There are may beautifull views in your other pics that deserve to be post here!
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244600

Great photos from Porto, hkskyline
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #5
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 7225

nice photos! you inspired me to go there soon , i already thought about it
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #6
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 443

you have captured the real character of the city.
the cathedral's interior is so amazing.
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support. Here's the next part.

The Bolsa is open for tours but photography is not allowed inside. I had to live with these exterior captures.

There are so many hills in Porto it's hard to tell when one ends and the next one begins. But the narrow alleys have ended and this main street now heads downhill towards the river.

Mercado Ferreira Borges has been modernized and now doesn't look anything like a historic market inside.

Unlike the Columbus statue in Barcelona that is pointing towards Africa, Porto's Henry the Navigator statue points in the correct direction towards the Atlantic.

The Cathedral and even the other side of the river are visible from the square thanks to Porto's hilly geography.

The tram line ends in front of the church. Being single-track, trams stop first, then reverse out.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

fabulous photos, lovely place with the old world charm....thanks for sharing hkskyline.
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
ripools

Likes (Received): 0

e Bolsa is open for tours but photography is not allowed inside. I had to live with these exterior captures.
ripools no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Remind you of Macau?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Remind you of Macau?
Porto didn't seem as dense though. I'd say the Alfama in Lisbon is closer to Macau, less the hills.

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Douro River snakes across Porto. The waterfront is quite walkable and the pleasant breeze is quite refreshing.

The Ponte Dom Luis I dominates the cityscape. Vehicles use the bottom deck, which is very close to the water level, while light rail trains and pedestrians use the top deck.

The imposing building on the right is Casa do Infante, the birthplace of Prince Henry the Navigator.

These cute, small trams make photogenic scenes as they rumble along.

Not many people were wandering around this part of the Douro waterfront except a few lone fishermen.

Old January 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Pistolero
Le vil rosse

Likes (Received): 2383

Great shots, thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

Unlike the Columbus statue in Barcelona that is pointing towards Africa, Porto's Henry the Navigator statue points in the correct direction towards the Atlantic.
Well, what is funny is that Henry the Navigator's reign led at first the Portuguese to make the tour of Africa!
Pistolero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
tykho
Out of Control

Likes (Received): 118

Ah, yes Porto is not exactly one of the most walkable cities!

Thanks for sharing your pics.
tykho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 236

Wonderful pics, they really show the essence of this beautiful city . Thanks for sharing
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #16
Portvscalem
a revolta da francesinha

Likes (Received): 89

Great photos. Have you seen something outside the historical center? Boavista, or the trendy seafront in foz, or matosinhos sul, and its shelfish restaurants. Do you went out in Clérigos/Piolho, or visited art galeries in Miguel Bombarda?

Porto have a charming center, but I think the city can offer a global city experience.
Portvscalem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:36 AM   #17
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Porto looks very authentic and charming.
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Gouveia

Likes (Received): 15154

I will have to disagree..
Low quality photos to the abandoned part of the historical center makes it look even worse than it is, although a good number of bildings look bad there.

There´s character and a feeling to this town, but i just dont think these photos let you get there.

Last edited by Gouveia; January 22nd, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Gouveia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portvscalem View Post
Great photos. Have you seen something outside the historical center? Boavista, or the trendy seafront in foz, or matosinhos sul, and its shelfish restaurants. Do you went out in Clérigos/Piolho, or visited art galeries in Miguel Bombarda?

Porto have a charming center, but I think the city can offer a global city experience.
Unfortunately, since I only had 2 full days in Porto, I stuck with the historic town centre and crossed to the other side briefly. I was originally planning to visit the coast or a fishing village nearby but that will have to wait until next time!

Old January 30th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Sunny skies bring out the best of these historic buildings, especially when they have dark portions that contrast against the blue sky.

Think of the children!

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Vitoria is perched on the street corner with a lovely view on one side. Too bad the doors were locked. I wanted to take a peek inside.

Having previously taken many photos of the skyline from R. da Vitoria below, I was surprised to find this quiet open area next to the church that was slightly more elevated with an even more open view.

A few staircases later, I was back downhill and ready to explore the next part of the historic city centre.

R. das Flores was featured in the guidebooks as an architecturally-interesting street with its wrought-iron balconies. I didn't find anything particularly special though. Perhaps returning on a weekday when the shops open would have been a better choice.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/porto.htm