daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Closed Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #241
sebvill
Mr.Br*gthside

Likes (Received): 6320

Of course Spain is developed for nowday standards. With the loads of money the EU pour on it, it would be a shame if it wasnt.
sebvill no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #242
Nolke
Gente chunga

Likes (Received): 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebvill View Post
Of course Spain is developed for nowday standards. With the loads of money the EU pour on it, it would be a shame if it wasnt.
Absolutely. Spain would have never grown if it wasn't for those European funds that made up the 0.8% of its GDP between 1986 and 2006.
Nolke no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #243
Name user 1
user1

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolke View Post
Absolutely. Spain would have never grown if it wasn't for those European funds that made up the 0.8% of its GDP between 1986 and 2006.
% of Spain budget not % of GDP is important to compare
Name user 1 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #244
Nolke
Gente chunga

That's hard to say because the funds are shared among many different administrations. I couldn't find an official balance, but according to this graph it must have been at most a 0.6% of the total public incomes during the last years (obviously, that's a balance, i.e., the amount of EU funds that arrives to the country could have reached at times the 4%, but Spain gives to the EU almost as much money as it gets from it and that contribution has to be sustracted). The balance may have been bigger in previous decades but not so larger.

Anyway, believe me if I tell you that having more public funds to spend doesn't develop a country.
Nolke no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #245
pesto

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus View Post
Not true.

The Wall Street Journal

[/B]

---------------

And seriously... Arguinig wether Spain is or not a developed country is ridiculous. I don't know any serious organization or economist who doesn't consider Spain a developed country. Nor now nor in 2007. Just come and visit Spain.
If you mean visit Madrid and Barcelona or other large cities, I agree. But Spanish small towns and countryside are still notoriously 3rd world, as the economic and finance commissions in Europe often point out. Corruption (and simple lack of records) is notorious, tax evasion endemic, auditing standards ignored, and living standards low. The EU exempts Spain from various agricultural and tax rules, because it can't comply. Last I looked (a few years ago) minimum wages were different for men and women, which I had never seen except in the 3rd world (where it's usually illegal, but the law is ignored). This is, of course, changing, but it is far from a reality.

I don't have the cite at hand but I read a recent article that said that computer professionals are leaving Spain to find better jobs in other countries, and 1 guy said he makes more as a bartender in the UK than as a programmer in Spain. Unemployment among men under 25 is 50 percent. These conditions are not consistent with a fully developed economy; closer to India or Eastern Europe.
pesto no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #246
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 4944

Have you ever been to Spain? Which agricultural and tax rules are they exempt from? Saying that smaller Spanish towns are 'notoriously third world' is somewhat ridiculous imo...
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #247
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
If you mean visit Madrid and Barcelona or other large cities, I agree. But Spanish small towns and countryside are still notoriously 3rd world, as the economic and finance commissions in Europe often point out. Corruption (and simple lack of records) is notorious, tax evasion endemic, auditing standards ignored, and living standards low. The EU exempts Spain from various agricultural and tax rules, because it can't comply. Last I looked (a few years ago) minimum wages were different for men and women, which I had never seen except in the 3rd world (where it's usually illegal, but the law is ignored). This is, of course, changing, but it is far from a reality.

I don't have the cite at hand but I read a recent article that said that computer professionals are leaving Spain to find better jobs in other countries, and 1 guy said he makes more as a bartender in the UK than as a programmer in Spain. Unemployment among men under 25 is 50 percent. These conditions are not consistent with a fully developed economy; closer to India or Eastern Europe.

A minium wage for women? Are you dreaming?

Last edited by Pavlemadrid; March 5th, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #248
Gorky

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:

I had never seen such a ridiculous comment, and a lack of knowledge of a country .... the Spanish medium and small cities have a high level of development my friend..
Gorky no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #249
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 35

Russia
Dallas star no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #250
Motul
#_#

Likes (Received): 7336

Obviously Greece.. Looking increasingly thrid worldy these days :P

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Fifa World Cup -Colombia 2026-
Motul está en línea ahora  
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #251
Atomicus

Likes (Received): 598

Quote:

I think you are lost here pal, 4chan is in the other way. At least give me sources for the women or the agricultural taxes thing.

Last edited by Atomicus; March 6th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Atomicus no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #252
Kaetzar
El futuro es ahora.

Likes (Received): 1113

I am really amazed by the big ignorance about Spain in this thread. But another forumers aren't ignorant, they only have prejudices impossible to eradicate. Isn't that true, sebvill?

What would the peruvian government had done with a fund of 0.7% GDP between 1986-2006? Would Peru be as developped like Spain?

You need more information about history of economy, and a fresh mind free of prejudices to understand it.

Last edited by Kaetzar; March 6th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Kaetzar no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #253
henrique42

Likes (Received): 0

It's that same old inferiority complex, of which my south american compatriots suffer......
Sitting in their middle class apartment, behind their computer screen ,they believe that after a few years of growth, we will conquer the world, and smash the hated imperialist countries. Old ones like Spain , or new ones like the US, some over here really think (or would love to believe) that the current crises will never pass, our growth will never pass, and some over here will keep on dreaming abour spanish or american maids, chauffeurs etc, to serve them...
Very pathetic, but give them a break, someday time will show them.
henrique42 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #254
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 4944

Except Pesto seems to be from California, which isn't part of LatAm quite yet.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #255
henrique42

Likes (Received): 0

almost....
henrique42 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #256
Nolke
Gente chunga

But it should be. Give it back, gringos!
Nolke no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #257
Ulpia-Serdica
ipso facto&manu militari

Likes (Received): 2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Except Pesto seems to be from California, which isn't part of LatAm quite yet.
Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa in the Liguria region of northern Italy. Delicious supplement to pasta, I must say. Get you facts straight Jonesy
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #258
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 229

Pesto is from California?
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #259
Motul
#_#

Likes (Received): 7336

Spain is another choice..

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Fifa World Cup -Colombia 2026-
Motul está en línea ahora  
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #260
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 910

You wish it, it's clear.
It's amazing how some people love the schadenfreude.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea  

Closed Thread