daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #21
superla

Likes (Received): 217

Some not so good news,although I was speaking to someone the other day that said building is due to commence July 2013 http://m.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ms...ool_Local_News
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #22
shamus

Likes (Received): 151

Anyone heard any more on this project ....bit concerning its all gone quiet ...also what's happening with the third phase of the science park ? I wonder if they are waiting for second building to be taken or perhaps there is no funding ?
shamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #23
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 868

The funding for the bioinnovation centre fell through as the RGF bid failed. They said at the time they would look elsewhere so well have to wait and see. Red X pharma warned that they could not wait forever for it to be developed as they'd have to leave the city if it doesn't happen soon.

As to ic3. Not heard anything for ages.
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #24
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
The funding for the bioinnovation centre fell through as the RGF bid failed. They said at the time they would look elsewhere so well have to wait and see. Red X pharma warned that they could not wait forever for it to be developed as they'd have to leave the city if it doesn't happen soon.

As to ic3. Not heard anything for ages.
Rumour is that bio innovation centre build to start imminently,only rumour though!
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 71

should be something mayor joe and crones should be pushing through. Surely these are the types of shovel ready projects the government should be funding as part of the plan to kick start the economy?
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #26
iamafreeman

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
should be something mayor joe and crones should be pushing through. Surely these are the types of shovel ready projects the government should be funding as part of the plan to kick start the economy?
The closure of Astra Zeneca in Cheshire and the continued investment of government money in the south east in the biotech field tells us all we need to know about how government of all hues think about the regional cities - they don't care basically.

Throw us a few scraps and then forget us!
iamafreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Threat alert.

The effective closing down of activity in Alderley Edge by Astrazeneca is terrible news. This was a genuinely homegrown facility that grew after a fashion from ICI's dyestuffs division whose parent companies were located around Manchester. The extraction of productive parts of the economy for relocation down south is something that Liverpool knows more about than anywhere else. This is a relatively rare example of Manchester having something that was worth taking away but still bad.

Note however that rather as the former ICI chemicals R&D site at Widnes has been reborn (successfully it is reported) as the Heath business park and it is planned that Shell's research facility in Ellesmere Port is to be taken over as the location of a technology faculty by Chester uni, it is expected that Alderley Park will be reborn as a 'biotech park'.

Look out for this site being awarded as a booby prize by the government in the context of Astrazeneca's exit with plenty of state investment through the RGF, etc., as a strategic asset for biotech development despite various Liverpool Biocampus plans being, unlike in Manchester, built on organic development of these industries here. And even less chance of the Bioinnovation centre getting state funding quite possibly.

Last edited by Awayo; March 19th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #28
iamafreeman

Likes (Received): 78

There will be the usual crap about a task force to help those losing their jobs but the reality is this is a major blow to east Cheshire and the wider economy if only because it generates momentum in other areas as well.

Good jobs like this going mean fewer opportunities for graduates in the field to stay in the area and means the brain drain continues as before.

I don't believe any of the political parties actually give a damn about anywhere outside the south east. Labour because they take the north for granted and the Tories because they know there aren't many votes there for them.

Meanwhile money and investment is showered on London without question.

Paul D, JohnnyLeigh liked this post
iamafreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Of course the limited state aid that might be offered to prioritise 'biotech' at Alderley Park won't amount to much in the large economic scheme of things, like previous state aid hasn't. The point I am making is that given the limited funding available and historic state biases as to which geographical areas are prioritised for secondary (w.r.t. London and the SE) economic development, this might impact on any support being offered to develop Liverpool's more organically-generated biotech industry. More evidence for, how trapped in this country, gearing an economy towards grant aid from a capricious and usually neglectful state authority in London SW1 works out so badly for Liverpool.

Interestingly however without much at at in the way of state intervention it is reported and in just over a decade, the Heath business park in Runcorn (not Widnes: my bad), also on an ex ICI site, has been very successful and boast of employing more people than in its ICI days.

The closure of Astrazeneca is very bad news but because of Alderley Park's pleasant location, easily commutable to very desirable residential areas and with a large population very close by in Manchesters southern suburbs, I would not be so surprised if following a not dissimilar model to the Heath's were successful. Maybe the state is best butting out here.

Last edited by Awayo; March 19th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #30
superla

Is this the sort of infrastructure project the chancellor should be looking to fund in today's budget? Opinion anyone? Or even an announcement on the royal hospital re build?
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #31
Inigo

Likes (Received): 89

Well, as I understand it, we're expecting more money for the regions some of which will probably be through the RGFs. You'd think that the region would want to try and retain some of the skilled professionals from astrazeneca and re-consider the biocampus bid. Who knows what goes through their heads though, I can't imagine why it was turned down in the first place .
Inigo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #32
BeeGee

It depends on how the 'region' is defined. The London view is that the north is a dark bleak place run from Manchester and that any regional aid will be distributed from there.
BeeGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #33
superla

Site survey including boreholes has taken place on the site of the bioinnovation centre,this could also be in connection with the redevelopment of the royal but looking at the positioning of said holes I hope not!

Paul D liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2309

Ask the people who are doing the work if you get a chance.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #35
PeterStoba

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Site survey including boreholes has taken place on the site of the bioinnovation centre,this could also be in connection with the redevelopment of the royal but looking at the positioning of said holes I hope not!
Was this today? I'll see what I can find out tomorrow if they're there.
PeterStoba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #36
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post

Was this today? I'll see what I can find out tomorrow if they're there.
Site survey was conducted over the bank holiday weekend,I work in the Duncan building peter,and when I returned today after a few days leave the evidence of half a dozen boreholes was visible,particularly along the entrance road to the car park adjacent to the fence if you know the site in detail?
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #37
PeterStoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Site survey was conducted over the bank holiday weekend,I work in the Duncan building peter,and when I returned today after a few days leave the evidence of half a dozen boreholes was visible,particularly along the entrance road to the car park adjacent to the fence if you know the site in detail?
Ah right fair enough, was just thinking it might have been today.

Yeah I know the site, that has got to be biocampus related, it's too far over to be for the hospital.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #38
superla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post

Ah right fair enough, was just thinking it might have been today.

Yeah I know the site, that has got to be biocampus related, it's too far over to be for the hospital.
That's what I felt,the biocampus will front onto the street whereas the site that is currently Duncan building and car park (well the upper section) looks set to be parkland,if I've read the plans correctly
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #39
Inigo

This will be what the site survey was for. To be honest I’m not that impressed with the building, for a start I think it could do with being a bit taller. It’s the investment and growth in this sector that excites me, great for the city.

Quote:
Research labs due on site in summer
14 May 2013, 10:09

Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine plans to start work on the conversion of a rundown retail and residential building near its current facility into offices as it expands to keep pace with a £200m research order book.

Planning permission is expected to be granted in the coming weeks for the change of use and remodelling of the building, on the corner of Anson Street and Pembroke Place. The project was designed by Broadway Malyan.

Construction could start in July or August on an 11-month build. The project is expected to cost between £5m and £10m depending on the result of outstanding funding applications. Funding will be provided by a variety of sources including the Regional Growth Fund, which has already committed £1.5m.

The new office building will be used to set up a Centre for Maternal and Child Health.

A separate proposal to build a 50,000 sq ft facility to effectively double the size of the school on a site next to Anson House and directly opposite the current school is going subject to negotiations with existing landowners including Iliad Group, which supports the development. A deal is expected to be agreed in the coming months.
Article continues http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...in-summer.html

Paul D liked this post

Last edited by Inigo; May 14th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Inigo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #40
PeterStoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
This will be what the site survey was for.
No it won't, the link you've posted is regarding this - http://goo.gl/maps/rqQVj

the site survey happened over here - http://goo.gl/maps/sY8kI