search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > City of Los Angeles

City of Los Angeles Central Core | Downtown | Hollywood | Mid-City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #2221
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 347

I love this kind of LA positivity......these are the people who really "get it"and thankfully who are the major players! And I feel that the smaller spaces will be passed by the counciil seeing that Jan Perry and Gail Goldberg are behind it. For people like Kotkin who off hand says that LA's downtown is 'no San Fran or NYC', why comment at all, really? IF you want a single family home on 1/2 an acre w/ a backyard and frontyard and circular driveway outfront....fine! You can have it. But why dogg others that want something else in appropriate places. I mean shit, they're not talking about 250 sq ft apartments in highrises in Handcock Park. So to all of the naysayers....**** off!
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2222
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicecityguy View Post
Well, i don't think it is as ugly as everyone say's it is. Actually, if you just go by that model, all the towers look pretty ugly. I am more curious as to the materials that will be use, how it will be illuminated, how it will actually look from the street level, etc. I can't really make a call based on a mass model. At the end of the day, it is food for thought and good for chit chat.
I like this one as well.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2223
kidA

Likes (Received): 1

I just feel like its harder for the more artsy people to live and work in downtown LA. Thats what makes a city feel unique is the weird shops that are owned by eccentrics and places that have regulars. It seems like that isnt the way downtown is going.
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2224
klamedia
Silver Lake

LA probably has the largest population of struggling artists still affording to live downtown or damn near it than any major city in the US.
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #2225
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 12

I don't understand what's so ugly about it. Does everyone want complete symmetry like most of the other office buildings?

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #2226
dweebo2220
city driver

Likes (Received): 2

am I lost here.. or isn't it actually a proposal from the 80s? Like that crazy watt city center tower they proposed forever ago..
dweebo2220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #2227
dweebo2220
city driver

Likes (Received): 2

Truth is, there's plenty of other artist neighborhoods in LA that drew the scene away from Downtown well before the building boom. I mean, the last time the "arts district" meant anything at all was the mid-90s. I think that as "loft-living" and "urbanity" became manufactured commodities in the past ten years, real artists have shied away from these places. When Paper magazine (a New York-based artsy hipster magazine) did their 2007 LA issue, they summarized every "happening" arts district in LA. They profiled Venice, Costa Mesa, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Chinatown and Pasadena, I think.. but nothing Downtown. My roommate, who works in a pretty up-and-coming gallery in Chinatown, says they definitely do not associate themselves with Downtown. According to her, no self-respecting international contemporary art collector would even step foot downtown. All the "artists" in Downtown are just washed-up hippies holding onto something that doesn't exist anymore..

That said, I think it would be nice to live downtown, I love how weird it still is (cliftons, bradbury, fashion district, olvera st. come to mind). But I definitely don't think it needs to be preserved as an artist's area.

Artists will always (and should always) find new places to explore and be inspired by. In fact, I like that lower-income suburbs have become the hippest places in every city (like Jersey City in New York) because there's just so many of them. Artists and hipsters are tearing through neighborhoods across america like crazy, declaring them "cool" one day and "over" the next. What this means is that places aren't getting as gentrified. In other words, you get balanced neighborhoods. (hopefully)..

LA's real artists and hipsters are spread out in every nook and cranny, which illustrates this trend. Echo Park may be "over," but the only places that really feel "gentrified" are one building on echo park blvd. and one block on sunset. Highland Park, the next "up-and-coming" hood on everyone's minds, barely even registers as a hipster haunt.

Koreatown? Supposedly that's been gentrifying for a while now, but the only bistros there are Korean.. Melrose Hill? again.. only a small group of restaurants and galleries by the bike kitchen.. San Pedro? Another place that's been trying to gentrify with artists forever yet can't figure it out..

I think actually, LA's polycentrism will help it as it becomes America's art capital. There are so many interesting, affordable (by art capital standards..) neighborhoods..

Where do I see Paper magazine doing summaries of in 2011?

Places like:
Huntington Park, Whittier, Lawndale, Inglewood, Sunland

Unlike places like New York where hipsters/artists have been defined by living in old industrial spaces, throwing huge coked-out costume parties, drinking cheap alcohol, and then turning places into exclusive bougey lands, I hope that LA can make a new type of artist that unterstands their social power, that understands the implications of their moving somewhere, that understands that the greatest art is helping make the world a better place. Ok that sounds lame but it's true.

wow, long post sorry work is boring.
dweebo2220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #2228
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 654

Zaya Younan wants to build the world's tallest building — in Los Angeles, Houston or Chicago.

Towering ambition

July 26, 2007
Chicago Sun-Times
BY DAVID ROEDER - droeder@suntimes.com

Zaya Younan is not crazy. Since starting a real estate business in 2002, he has become one of the largest office landlords in Texas, and accumulated property worth about $1.5 billion, claiming strong and steady returns for investors.

Now he wants to build the world's tallest building. He wants it in Chicago, Los Angeles or Houston. He wants it for the glory of the United States of America, and to take advantage of long-term trends that he said will lead to more vertical living in major cities.

full article: http://www.suntimes.com/business/484...unan26.article
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #2229
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 36

Even though density is needed not height, who can resist somethin like this.
Simply can't imagine LA having a 800+ meter/2600+ feet tower!!!!!!!
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #2230
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 20

ha ha, im hopping it would be downtown and not in... oh lets say glendale. now that would just be goofy

me+
=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #2231
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

I thought that 2000 ft. was the limit in the US.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

Old July 27th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2232
lan56

Likes (Received): 1

He claims it will be a "city within a city" because the tower/monster would have many different uses. If it really ends up having multiple uses inside that one tower, it would be a real-life arcology, not just a tower.
lan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #2233
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 485

If it'd be even remotely reminiscent of the tacky-ass Burj Dubai, Houston can have it.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #2234
Epicentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox View Post
ha ha, im hopping it would be downtown and not in... oh lets say glendale. now that would just be goofy
As a life long resident of Glendale, amen!
Epicentre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #2235
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 654

I hope this doesn't get built in LA. Houston can have it.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #2236
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 151

I hope this doesn't get built in any US city, period.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #2237
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

Likes (Received): 4

Sounds like the guy just wants to be in the news but I could see this built somewhere around LA.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #2238
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

Likes (Received): 4

Probably just some bored guy came up with some plans but has no chance of seeing the light of day. The design isn't but that would be if it was about 40 stories. To be the tallest and that strange reeks of those Chinese disasters across the ocean.

Last edited by The Baz; July 27th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2239
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

I could see it built here, but it doesn't make sense economically. Building in LA is a lot more expensive than a place that doesn't really have a chance for earthquakes.

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #2240
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 10

If this guy wants attention then he will build it in L.A because of the Earthquaks and everything will just make it more interesting. I doubt this will get built anywere. I think its just attention that he wants.

If a tidal wave hits L.A just grab a fake boob for safety.
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, development summary, downtown, los angeles