daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #61
ProdigalLASon
Bad News Brown

Likes (Received): 0

SportsFan, do you have any info on why there's a hold-up with these park projects? I thought they had the land already...
ProdigalLASon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #62
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 179

i think its a funding issue, but i believe that they are moving forward. if i hear anything ill post it.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #63
LosAngelesSportsFan

LA LIVE UPDATE _ BREAKS GROUND IN MAY OR JUNE! new rendering on ladowntownnews.com, nokia theater first to go up, residential on the top 10 floors of the hotel, ESPN STUDIOS west, etc etc.

New Details Emerge on LA Live Plan

Developers Explore Selling Convention Center Hotel's Naming Rights

by Jon Regardie

Top executives of the LA Live project last week unveiled intriguing new details about the $1 billion development that will change the southern portion of Downtown. Among the most notable elements set to occur in the so-called "sports and entertainment district" are a 15-screen movie theater complex, a cluster of condominiums atop the Convention Center headquarters hotel, and a plan to possibly name the hotel after a shoe company, a furniture store, or another business that pays millions for naming rights.
LA Live developers are talking to about 12 restaurants. Outdoor dining will be a priority. Rendering courtesy of AEG.

The announcements came from Ted Tanner, senior vice president of real estate for Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the developer of Staples Center and LA Live, and Lew Wolff, the chair and CEO of Wolff Urban Development, which is a partner in the headquarters hotel. The two spoke to about 300 Downtown business leaders at a Tuesday luncheon sponsored by the Los Angeles Headquarters Association.

Even before Staples Center opened in 1999, AEG was exploring plans to create a massive district mixing restaurants, retail, housing and entertainment venues along six blocks north of the arena. Tanner reiterated on Tuesday that AEG aims to break ground on the initial phase of construction by May or June. The first major piece to go up, he said, will be the Nokia Theatre, an $85 million-$90 million, 7,100-seat venue that will host approximately 110 events a year; about two-thirds will be concerts, with the remainder comprised of award shows, short-run productions and similar events. Also part of the first phase is the Nokia Plaza and some underground parking. The project would ultimately include about 4,000 underground parking spaces.

Plans call for the entire LA Live to encompass around 4 million square feet of development space. The centerpiece continues to be the Convention Center headquarters hotel, a proposed 55-story structure that would house 1,200 rooms. Its price has been pegged at about $350 million, though Wolff said that is still being perfected. City incentives include a loan of about $20 million, infrastructure improvements, fee waivers and a proposal to exempt the hotel owners from a 14% bed tax that other hotels pay. The exemption would last 20 years and could be worth around $100 million.

Area officials have long claimed that such a structure is necessary to save the city's ailing convention industry, which repeatedly loses major business gatherings to other cities that have thousands of hotel rooms within a few minutes walk of their convention centers. The situation has turned the Los Angeles Convention Center into a money loser.

"The lynchpin for this has always been the hotel. We want to make that absolutely clear," said Tanner.

Wolff announced that the hotel would also have about 100 condominiums on the upper floors, probably between levels 45 and 55. "I'm told they're going to sell like hotcakes," he said.

Red Carpet Premieres

Although the hotel will be operated by Hilton, Wolff said he and AEG are exploring branding partnerships for the 1.5 million-square-foot structure. "We might have the Nike Hilton," he said by way of example. "We might, hypothetically again, go to Ikea. We might say here is the Hilton specifications for their hotel. If you want to give us a really knockout discount, or gift if you will, we're not opposed to having Ikea's name sketched into the wood frame of every bed."

Wolff said such a partnership could be worth up to $5 million for the hotel developers. It follows a nearby precedent: Before the Downtown arena opened, AEG and Staples signed a 20-year, $100 million naming rights deal.

Tanner delivered additional information on the long-anticipated megaplex, saying that it will be operated by the Regal Entertainment Group and will include 15 state-of-the-art theaters with thousands of seats. The biggest single theater will hold 700 seats, he said.

As part of the movie push, he said AEG will seek to host 10 to 15 red carpet premieres a year, with the films screened in the theater and large after-parties taking place in spacious ballrooms within walking distance.

Tanner said AEG is holding discussions with about 12 restaurants. He said an important element of the eateries will be outdoor and terrace dining, which could help activate the street. "Our whole goal here is to create a pedestrianized environment," he said.

Another element would be built around ESPN. Tanner said AEG is talking with the Bristol, Conn.-based sports behemoth about creating an entire broadcasting facility in LA Live as part of the Nokia Plaza.

"This would represent an extraordinary commitment on the part of ESPN, to actually build a second major TV broadcast studio production facility," he said. "So instead of having the 11 o'clock sports report emanating from Bristol, Conn., it will be live from Nokia Plaza."

Contact Jon Regardie at regardie@downtownnews.com.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #64
LosAngelesSportsFan

Ok time for an Update on all the projects and towers in Downtown. Feel Free to add on and correct me, in fact please do.

New Towers:

Elleven Phase 1 - 13 stories - 2006
Elleven Phase 2 - 19 stories - 2007
Elleven Phase 3 - 27 stories - 2007
Elelven Part 2 - Several Towers yet to be determined, 2008

LA LIVE Hotel - 55 stories - 2007-08
LA LIVE Residential - 20 + ?
LA LIVE Residential - 20 + ?

Grand Ave Towers - 5 - 6 Towers, from 25 - 65 Stories, by 2009

SCI ARC Tower 1 - 50 Stories - ?
SCI ARC Tower 2 - 50 Stories - ?

9th and Fig Tower 1 - 15 Stories - ?
9th and Fig Tower 2 - 25 Stories - ?

9th and Olympic - 26 Stories - ?

Metropolis Tower 1 - 53 + Stories - ?
Metropolis Tower 2 - 47 + Stories - ?
Metropolis Tower 3 - 38 + Stories - ?

Federal Building - 17 Stories - ?

Olive Street Tower - 35 Stories - ?

Stock Exch. Tower 1 - 30 Stories - ?
Stock Exch. Tower 2 - 30 Stories - ?

9th and Flower - 33 Stories - ?

Hope Street Condos - 17 Stories - ?

Grand Hope Park Lofts - 14 Stories - ?

Medallion 1 - 11 Stories - ? Might Be Taller?
Medallion 2 - 11 Stories - ? Might Be Taller?

Subway Terminal - 20 Stories - ?

Alexan Savoy Phase 2 - 18 Stories - ?
Alexan Savoy Phase 3 - 25 Stories - ?

Little Tokyo Block 8 - 20 Stories - ?
Little Tokyo Block 8 - 20 Stories - ?

12th and Fig - 15 Stories - ?

Ok Guys, let me know if im missing any and completion dates as well as the number of units if you want.

Last edited by LosAngelesSportsFan; February 19th, 2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #65
soup or man
Diamondz...

Where exactly are the Grand Ave. towers going to be? Is it going to be between Cal Plaza and that new high school? Or just around the Disney Center?

And any news on Cal Plaza 3? 755 Tower? Hell, the LA Megastructure?
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #66
LosAngelesSportsFan

I think those three projects are dead, but i might be wrong. i really like the 755 tower and i hope its for real, cause that would add a lot to LA's skyline. Im not sure of the locations of the Grand Ave Towers, but i think initial renderings will be released soon by Related Co. there are three parcels, one across Disney Hall that is the main area, one next to Disney hall that will have residential and one parcel below the parking lot across from Disney hall that will have a mix. I would think the 65 story tower would be on the main parcel across from Disney hall.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #67
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 41

Thanks for all the info on these projects, heres my two cents worth of info, the original bunker hill redevelopment plan, (in regards to the grand ave project) proposed residential on the blocks southwest of the disney concert hall, (between grand and hope, two original plan, never built condo towers were to be 27 storys each.) the two other sites, southeast on first st. one; (between grand and olive) was zoned for office, between 750.000 and 1.2 million sq.ft.( i.e. 65 story tower) the next, two;(between olive and hill on first), also zoned for office, if i remember correctly somewhere around 500.000 sq.ft. (i.e. new courthouse) the retail aspect of this development is a new addition, as a result of the disney concert hall, i assume. if i were to be realistic i don't beleave the way the office market stands at present that a lease of 500.000 sq. ft. could be found to make a 65 story tower feasable, but i would like to see a signature tower go on that site, i'm quite sure an architect can be found to design a complementery tower to the disney concert hall, (letting as much sunlight as possible reach the work) also the Los Angeles megastructure, is certainly dead, the site in the mid wilshire district, (the ambassador hotel) now belongs to the LAUSD, 15 years ago Donald Trump had an option to buy the property, but gave up on the idea. also i beleve that Richard Keating ( once of SOM) was involved in the design of the 125 story tower (it would have been awsume too, as you could have seen it from the san fernando valley)
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #68
mikeanderson23

Likes (Received):

This is great information!!! I was conducting some research on DTLA and came across this site. I registered immediately.

LA Sports Guy, where do you find all of your information???
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #69
LosAngelesSportsFan

^ the info is from this site and mostly from Skyscraperpage.com (similar forum with many more LA area posters who are on top of things). Also i got some of the info from LADowntownnewsonline and te LA Business journal as well as Google searches.

Welcome to the board.
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #70
james2390
Tribune Tower

Likes (Received): 13

How much of this is actually approved?
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #71
LosAngelesSportsFan

other than sci arc, they are either under construction or are going to start soon.
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #72
LosAngelesSportsFan

I updated the post with the floor counts.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:32 AM   #73
LosAngelesSportsFan

here is the latest development update for Downtown LA from LA DOWNTOWN NEWS ONLINE.

Loft and Found

With 122 Developments, Downtown Is Abuzz in the North, South, East and West

by Chris Coates and Kathryn Maese

What was a murmur and then a buzz is now nothing less than a roar: Everywhere you look, and listen, is the sound of development in Downtown.
The former St. Vibiana's Cathedral will contain a residential element, along with a hotel and restaurant. Photo by Gary Leonard.

The happenings are literally in every corner of the community. In the north, near Chinatown, there is progress on the new Cornfield State Park, while South Park is witnessing ground-up condominium construction for the first time in decades. The Vista Hermosa school and public park is underway in City West, while more lofts are being developed in the east near the Los Angeles River and the Arts District.

The loudest sound comes from the thousands of construction workers who are continuing the adaptive reuse rush, turning defunct buildings into new lofts with state-of-the-art amenities. People are flocking into the Historic Core, into South Park, into the Financial District: The new catchphrase might as well be, wherever there's a building, there's a way to make it into housing.

All the evidence indicates that the momentum will continue. Rising players such as the South Group are announcing three-phase projects, following other multi-phase developments like Santee Court and South Village. There is also a burgeoning buying power: A recent survey revealed that half of the housing units being developed are for sale, and half are for rent. The study by the Downtown Center Business Improvement District also found that the median household income of residents in the new Downtown buildings is an amazing $90,000.

Need more proof? Just check out the following pages, where Los Angeles Downtown News details the latest updates on 122 projects. These developments are changing the present, and the future, of Downtown.

NEW PROJECTS

These projects were announced or garnered public interest within the last five months.

CIVIC CENTER FIRE STATION NO. 4
Designs for a new seven-bay fire station on the south side of Temple Street at Alameda Street are nearing completion, said Brian Humphrey, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department. The 40,000-square-foot Fire Station No. 4 will also include a dispatch center. The project has been funded through past bond measures approved by voters. GKK Dommer and Fluor/HOK are the architects.

EMERALD TERRACE
Work crews last month tore down three apartment buildings on the corner of Lucas Avenue and Emerald Street on Crown Hill to make way for the 85-unit Emerald Terrace Housing complex. Construction is set to start May 5 on the four-story apartment building being developed by Westwood-based Meta Housing and Culver City-based Century Housing. Nancy Morris, a spokeswoman for Meta, said the $21 million multifamily development will be entirely affordable housing. The project should be complete by November 2006, she said. Meta is also behind the Northwest Gateway apartment complex one block north, on the corner of Lucas Avenue and Glendale Boulevard.

HOLIDAY INN
The 205-room Holiday Inn at 750 Garland Ave. is leaving the hotel business. Newport Beach-based owner MKT Community Development is turning the six-story, 1960s-era structure into 205 studio apartments; an opening is scheduled for March. The developer is considering providing hotel-like amenities such as room service, a restaurant, a salon and even a bartender who can pour a martini for a resident who's had a long day. About 85% of the apartments will be priced at $1,200 a month, though some will cost up to $2,000.

HOPE LOFTS
Los Angeles-based Venice Development Group will break ground this spring on Hope Lofts, a $60 million condominium project at Hope Street and Olympic Boulevard. The Killefer Flammang-designed project will feature 156 condos in three side-by-side high-rises. The units will range from 1,000 to 1,450 square feet, and start at $450,000. Pre-sales begin in February.

HOUSE EAR INSTITUTE
Construction is set to start in June on a $19 million expansion next to the House Ear Institute at Third and Alvarado streets, said spokeswoman Christa Spieth Nuber. A three-story, 30,000-square-foot building will house the group's research division and offices. The Annenberg Foundation donated $10 million. Downtown-based architects Perkins + Will will design the project, which is set to wrap in October 2006.

LA FASHION CENTER
A development team headed by City West-based LA Properties Investment and Management Group broke ground in November on the ground-up construction of LA Fashion Center, also known as LA Face. The 560,000-square-foot structure at 1444 S. San Pedro St. will house 200 for-purchase retail spaces and showrooms for garment wholesalers and manufacturers. The concept allows small business owners to make permanent investments rather than monthly rental payments. An average store will cost about $360,000; ground floor units will start at $640,000. Los Angeles-based MAI Architects designed the project.

LINDA LEA THEATER
The long-dark Linda Lea Theater at 251 S. Main St. was purchased by an anonymous owner in late December and will be brought back as a 500-seat theater with independent film screenings, festivals, community events and possibly a rooftop bar. A group of local arts leaders will program and operate the space, and in keeping with the theater's Japanese history, a concessions stand will include items such as Japanese sweets, edamame, sake, soju and beer. The operators are applying for a $1.5 million grant from the California Cultural and Historical Endowment to help restore the dilapidated property. The 7,700-square-foot Linda Lea, which closed in the 1980s, was one of only three theaters in Los Angeles to screen Japanese language films. During its heyday in the 1960s, visitors would flock to see the latest samurai dramas produced by the Toei film company.

MAYFAIR HOTEL
The Best Western Mayfair hotel at 1256 W. Seventh St. will be converted into 250 condos. Craig Lawson, a land use consultant at Craig Lawson & Co., is moving forward with the entitlement package. The developer, Mayfair LLC, is planning a groundbreaking in September. The architect is Killefer Flammang.

PACIFIC EXCHANGE BUILDING
Golden Hills Properties plans to convert the Pacific Exchange building into residential and construct two 30-story towers near the City West plot at Third Street and Beaudry Avenue, said General Manager Michael Delijani. West Los Angeles-based Nadel Architects is designing plans for the 850-condominium and apartment project. Golden Hills Properties purchased the boxy, 10-story white building, the former home of the Pacific Stock Exchange, in the late 1990s. It consists of eight levels of parking, the trading floor and a single level of offices. The developers have not secured permits. Delijani said they are aiming for a groundbreaking by early 2006.

SEVEN WEST
Developer Bret Mosher of Seven West LLC said he plans to break ground in late November on 62 market-rate condos at 1401 W. Seventh St. The five-story building will also hold 3,000 square feet of retail space. No cost has been disclosed. Killefer Flammang Architects is designing the project.

1010 WILSHIRE BUILDING
Redwood City-based Amidi Real Estate Group is planning to convert the 17-story office building at 1010 Wilshire Blvd. in City West into as many as 250 for-sale units. The first-time Downtown developers are working on designs that call for turning 13 floors into 800- to 1,200-square-foot condominiums with 15% priced as affordable housing. Included will be four levels of parking, a swimming pool, recreation area and possibly a health club. The developers have completed most of the designs and are working to obtain city permits. Construction will not start until at least 2006. Santa Monica-based Killefer Flammang is the architect. Telecommunications company SBC currently leases the entire building from Amidi. The lease expires in July when the company finishes moving its 850 employees to the SBC Tower in South Park.

1010 WOOD APARTMENTS
1010 Development Corp. plans to start building 61 affordable family apartments in March. The project will be called 1010 Wood Apartments and will include 40 two-bedroom units, 21 three-bedroom units and a childcare center for 45 children. The apartments will be divided between two plots on opposite sides of the street; one at 1322 and the other at 1405 James M. Wood Blvd. Pasadena-based Ken Kurose Architects is designing the $16.7 million development. They hope to complete the project by mid-2006.

RESIDENTIAL

FOR SALE

BARRY'S LOFTS II
Construction started earlier this month on the residential conversion of the building at 548 S. Spring St. (formerly known as the Wilson Building and the 548 Building) into 84 condominiums, said developer Barry Shy, who is partnering with Albion Pacific on the $25 million project. Plans call for units ranging from 700 to 1,100 square feet. Shy said the project is pegged for a February 2006 completion.

BARTLETT BUILDING
Developer Barry Shy said the $15 million conversion of the Bartlett Building at 215 W. Seventh St. in the Jewelry District is nearly complete. All 140 condominiums have been sold, he said, and tenants will start moving in early next month. Units range from 700 to 1,000 square feet. Shy purchased the 14-story former home of Union Oil in 2002.

BISCUIT COMPANY LOFTS
Development firm Linear City is turning the former National Biscuit Company factory at 673 S. Mateo St. in the Industrial District into residential units. Plans for the 167,745-square-foot building call for 200 live/work condominium lofts on seven floors and more than 3,000 square feet of ground floor retail. The 1925 building includes hardwood floors, brick walls, oversized windows and 11-foot ceilings. Crews have started demolition on the interior of the existing factory and principal Yuval Bar-Zemer said construction should wrap by July 2006. The property, which Linear City purchased last year, will also include a development known as Sky Lofts, a seven-story building with 120 lofts. Construction on the ground-up development is scheduled to begin in November and finish in March 2007, Bar-Zemer said. Santa Monica-based KoningEizenberg is the architect.

BROADWAY EXCHANGE
The residential conversion of the 12-story Broadway Exchange building at 219 W. Seventh St. should be complete by the first quarter of 2006, said project manager Gabriel Frig. Plans call for turning the former office building into 72 condominiums. Construction is about 35% complete. Frig would not discuss the square footage and said the developers are waiting to announce how much they will charge for the units. The developer is Broadway Exchange Building, LLC.

BROCKMAN BUILDING
The conversion of the Brockman Building at 530 W. Seventh St. into 76 units should be complete by fall, said Dana Yogel, senior project manager for developer Urban Pacific, which partnered with Salter Company/West Millennium Homes on the deal. The 12-story edifice, also known as the Brooks Brothers Building, is undergoing a $21 million conversion. The project in the Financial District will include a rooftop deck with an Infinity pool, gym and community rooms with barbecues and fireplaces. Though the condos will start in the high $200,000 range, some units will be among the priciest Downtown: A two-story, 2,300-square-foot penthouse with a private rooftop deck will likely sell for more than $1 million.

CHASE PLAZA
The Lee Group and CIM Group are turning the top 10 floors of the 22-story Chase Plaza at 801 S. Grand Ave. into 132 condominiums. The rest of the 440,000-square-foot, Class A building will remain office space. Floor plans will average 1,500 square feet and prices will range from $500,000 to more than $1 million. John Given, senior vice president of CIM, said construction will start sometime this year. He said the developers are hoping to finish in 2006. Santa Monica-based Van Tilburg, Banvard and Soderbergh is the architect.

DOUGLAS BUILDING
Move-in will start at the end of March for the renovated 1898 office building at 257 S. Spring St., said Bill Stevenson, a partner in the project. All 50 condominiums in the Old Bank District property have been sold, Stevenson said. Developers - who include Goodwin Gaw of Downtown Properties - also plan to install 20,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor. The project's anticipated February opening was delayed about a month because of last month's rainstorms; the unfinished roof was damaged. Rockefeller Architects designed the project.

EASTERN COLUMBIA LOFTS
The conversion of the Eastern Columbia Building at 849 S. Broadway into 147 condominiums and apartments should be complete by early 2006, said Dennis Allen, an analyst with developer the Kor Group. Plans for the Fashion District structure call for units averaging 1,200 square feet with 11- to 14-foot ceilings. Amenities are set to include a rooftop fitness center, sundeck, pool, spa and fireplace. The development will also have retail space and possibly a restaurant. Hancock Park-based Kor Group purchased the turquoise blue and gold terra cotta edifice in August for nearly $20 million. The building constructed in 1930 is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

EL DORADO HOTEL
Vacant since 1998, the El Dorado Hotel at Fourth and Spring streets is slated for conversion into for-sale condos. Old Bank District developer Tom Gilmore has finalized a partnership with investor Goodwin Gaw and Morgan Stanley to finance and build the $20 million project, which will contain 66 units priced from $275,000 to $425,000. Gilmore said construction will start in May.

1100 GRAND LOFTS
Developers said the conversion of the 81-year-old building at 330 W. 11th St. should wrap up by spring. Headed by Marina del Rey-based the Lee Group and CIM Group of Hollywood, the 105,000-square-foot South Park structure that will be known as the 1100 Grand Lofts is being converted into 66 mostly two-bedroom condominiums. Floor plans range from 1,151 to 2,609 square feet. The $15 million conversion, which started in November 2003, includes the addition of three floors to the four-story structure. Prices will start in the mid-$400,000 range. Lee paid $4.5 million for the property in the late 1990s, a few years after the UCLA Extension program moved out. Killefer Flammang of Santa Monica is the architect.

1100 WILSHIRE
Crews began working earlier this month on plans to turn the top half of the wedge-shaped office-tower at Bixel Street and Wilshire Boulevard into 230 condominiums. The project by developers Hampton Development, TMG Partners and Forest City Residential West calls for a mix of dual-level (ranging from 660 to 1,980 square feet) and single-level, 700- to 1,200-square-foot condominiums. The City West tower - a 27-story, triangular office structure atop a 15-level, nearly windowless parking garage - has been largely vacant since it was constructed in 1987. Kevin Ratner, senior project manager with Forest City, said the project is slated for completion by May 2006.

ELLEVEN/SOUTH
This three-phase collection of South Park condo towers will include more than 700 units and will be completed by 2007. The first phase is Elleven, an $85 million ground-up construction slated for a March 2006 opening, said Tom Cody, a principal with developer The South Group. The project includes 417 condominiums in two towers - a 13-story, 194-unit building at Eleventh Street and Grand Avenue and a 17-story, 233-unit building at Eleventh and Hope streets. Floor plans range from 850 to 2,800 square feet and will cost from $300,000 to more than $1 million.

The $80 million second phase dubbed Luma will feature a sophisticated, upscale design. It's set to break ground in April and will include 236 live-work condos with 10 two-story townhouses. The 19-story structure will occupy the southeast corner of 11th and Hope streets. Completion is expected in fall 2006, said Cody.

The final $100 million phase (currently unnamed) immediately south of Elleven will begin in September, and will include up to 350 condos and eight two-story townhouses in a 27-story building. It will share the entire block with Elleven, and is set for occupancy by summer 2007.

HIGGINS BUILDING
The transition of the Higgins Building from apartments to condominiums is nearly complete, said developer Barry Shy. All but two penthouses are left. When Shy finished the residential conversion of the building at Second and Main streets last summer, he marketed the 135 units as apartments. In the fall, he informed residents that the building was being turned into condominiums, drawing ire from some inhabitants who said they were being forced out. Some have decided to purchase their units. At least one lawsuit has been filed alleging unfair housing practices.

IRVINE BYRNE BUILDING
Urban Pacific Builders and Phoenix Realty Group closed escrow in December on this five-story, 90-year-old building at the northwest corner of Third Street and Broadway. The partners began converting it last month into 40 loft-style condominiums; the project is expected to wrap by early 2006. Floor plans range from 500 to 1,200 square feet. The building will feature a recreation room and gym, as well as historic features like copper elevators. The departure of longtime tenant the Giant Penny will allow the developer to reclaim some of the historic lobby. It also opens up space for additional retail. The ground floor currently contains a wedding chapel and a wedding apparel business. The Beaux Arts-style building was designed by Sumner Hunt, and in the 1940s housed a Mexican consulate.

MOLINO STREET LOFTS
Development firm the Kor Group is adding 30 new lofts to an existing artist-in-residence structure at Fourth and Mateo streets in the Arts District. Developers are turning the building, which currently contains 61 live-work rental units in two adjoining 1920s warehouse buildings, into condominiums. The Molino Street Lofts will feature units ranging from 900 to 3,700 square feet. Construction is set to wrap by the end of this year.

NINTH AND FIGUEROA
Beverly Hills-based developer Sonny Astani's plans for a 450-condominium complex at the southeast corner of Ninth and Figueroa streets near Staples Center are moving ahead. Brenda Rodriguez, a representative from Astani's office, said the developers are working on plans for the site, which will include 40,000 square feet of retail. Astani purchased the lot in October for $29 million from Equitable Life Assurance Society. Early proposals called for two, 15-story apartment and condominium towers, 1,000 square feet of retail and 1,200 parking spaces.

OLIVE STREET LOFTS
John Given, senior vice president of developer CIM Group, said construction on the $35 million Olive Street Lofts will start this summer. The developers, who are partnered in the project with the Lee Group, will erect the building on a vacant parking lot at 11th and Olive streets adjacent to a former UCLA Extension building. The property will contain 106 for-sale units. Given said construction will last 15 to 18 months.

ROWAN BUILDING
Gilmore Associates and Goodwin Gaw's Downtown Properties are developing 209 loft apartments at 458 S. Spring St. The residences will range from 450 to 1,200 square feet. Twenty percent of the units will be priced as affordable housing. Developer Tom Gilmore said he received financing for the project last month and construction will start soon. The development will include a new parking garage next to the building. The Beaux Arts-style Rowan Building was constructed in 1912 and once housed stock brokerages and law firms. The architect is Killefer Flammang.

TERAMACHI SENIOR HOUSING
The rains in early January delayed construction of the $35 million Teramachi Senior Housing project by about a month, said developer Thomas Wong. The 127-condominium project on the northwest corner of Third and San Pedro streets in Little Tokyo will offer upscale housing for people 55 and older. Units range from 775 to 2,100 square feet. Amenities include a swimming pool and spa, exercise room and courtyard gardens. The structure will contain three retail tenants on the ground floor and one level of subterranean parking. Some tenants will be from the nearby Senshin Buddhist Temple. The project is scheduled for completion in October 2006.

RESIDENTIAL

FOR RENT

ALEXAN SAVOY
The initial phase of the $66 million Alexan Savoy at First and Alameda streets is slated for a July opening, said Alex Wong, project manager for Costa Mesa-based developer Trammell Crow Residential. The second phase of the Little Tokyo development was pushed back three weeks due to last month's rain. A third phase is scheduled to break ground in late 2005. The project also earmarks about 30,000 square feet for retail. Rents start at $1,400. The entire project will add 868 housing units to Little Tokyo.

ARCADE BUILDING
The $15 million conversion of the 12-story Arcade Building at 541 S. Spring St. into 143 market-rate loft apartments is scheduled to be completed by the summer. The Beaux Arts-style building's owner, Fifth Street Funding, is converting the property and extensively renovating existing retail. David Denton designed the project. Each of the building's two towers, which are separated by an interior retail arcade that stretches from Spring Street to Broadway, will house six one- and two-bedroom apartments per floor. The 195,000-square-foot edifice will function as a mixed-use project, a concept common when the structure was built in 1924.

BROADWAY PLAZA LOFTS
Increases in the cost of materials have pushed back the conversion of the Blackstone Department Store into 82 lofts, said Wolfgang Kupka, president of developer Vista Realty Advisors. The developers now hope to wrap construction by June. Blueprints call for converting the 89-year-old complex at 901 E. Broadway into 400- to 1,200-square-foot units ranging from $700 to $2,300. About 16 will be set aside for affordable housing. Plans also call for keeping the ground floor businesses, which include a cellular telephone store, an accounting firm, a florist and a travel agent, and restoring the building's façade and sidewalks. The project is about 60% complete, Kupka said. The setback stems from the rising costs of steel, sheetrock and concrete, he said, as well as from damage due to last month's rains. Last year, the Los Angeles Conservancy awarded Vista Realty Advisors $100,000 to rehabilitate the building. The 1916 structure was designed by John Parkinson, who drafted plans for Union Station, the Coliseum and City Hall.

COULTER AND MANDELL BUILDINGS
Tenants should begin moving into the converted Coulter and Mandell Buildings in April, said Eddie Peykar, a partner on the project. Fashion District property owner George Peykar purchased the Jewelry District structures at 500 and 518 W. Seventh St. in early 2003. The listing price was $8 million. Plans call for 55 live-work lofts and possibly a ground floor restaurant and convenience store. The property is a former office building and dry goods store. Combined, the buildings comprise 137,000 square feet.

HARTFORD PROJECT
Construction will begin in September on a 54-unit affordable housing complex at Fourth and San Lucas streets, just west of the 110 (Harbor) Freeway, said Dora Leong Gallo, chief executive officer of the nonprofit A Community of Friends. The development will contain mostly three- and four-bedroom units, as well as a Boys & Girls Club to serve the students of an elementary school being built next door. Construction should wrap up in September 2006. Killefer Flammang is the architect.

HERALD EXAMINER BUILDING
Plans are still up in the air for the three-building complex that housed the city's last afternoon newspaper. Devan Pailet, a development executive for Urban Partners, said the company is exploring plans for a mix of for-rent residential and retail in the 1914 property at 11th Street and Broadway. He said the firm is working with the building's owner, San Francisco-based Hearst Corporation, on the project. The 90-year-old building has largely sat empty for the past 15 years, though it is occasionally used for filming.

LIBRARY COURT
The $20 million conversion of the University Club building at 630 W. Sixth St. into 90 units is scheduled for completion by this summer. Plans by Newport Beach-based developer the Greystone Group call for high-end one- and two-bedroom apartments as well as five townhouses with a private entrance on Hope Street. Units will rent from $1,500 to $2,600 a month. Named Library Court for its proximity to the Richard J. Riordan Central Library, the building's exterior features a new glass curtain wall in combination with the existing marble. The property also includes an 11,000-square-foot retail space that could house a restaurant. The complex will contain two levels of underground parking.

LOFTS AT THE SECURITY BUILDING
Construction is scheduled to finish by July on the $28 million conversion of the Security Bank building at 510 S. Spring St. in the Historic Core. Developers Simpson Housing Solutions are turning the 99-year-old edifice into 153 rental lofts ranging from 630 to 1,850 square feet. Twenty-percent of the units will be priced as affordable housing. The project was originally scheduled to finish in December 2003.

LORENZO
Plans are in the works for a 600-unit apartment complex on Sixth between Bixel and St. Paul streets, said Peter Novak, executive vice president of Brentwood-based developer GH Palmer Associates. Novak said the company is working on conceptual designs; the project is slated to come online in summer 2007.

MAIN MERCANTILE BUILDING
The loft conversion of the six-story building at 620 S. Main St. is about 70% complete, said Dwight Kulman, director of Oxford Street Properties. The developer is adding 35 to 40 housing units as part of an $8 million conversion of the 75,060-square-foot structure. The industrial-style lofts will average 1,200 to 1,300 square feet and rent for $1,100 to $2,200. Kulman said construction is scheduled for a May finish.

METRO 417
The $60 million conversion of the Subway Terminal Building at 417 S. Hill St. into 277 luxury live-work lofts is scheduled for a June completion, said Kevin Ratner, senior project manager for developer Forest City Residential West. Ratner said construction was delayed when crews found an oil well in the structure's basement parking garage. The well, which Ratner said was not indicated in city records, forced crews to drill down more than 500 feet and remove the contaminated soil. The 1925, 500,000-square-foot building was once the underground terminus of the Pacific Electric Railroad and held 600 offices. The new units range from 450 to 2,200 square feet. Pre-leasing is set to start in April, Ratner said.

METROPOLITAN LOFTS
The $50 million Metropolitan Lofts at Flower and Eleventh streets is scheduled for a July opening, said Kevin Ratner, project manager for developer Forest City Residential West. Plans for the structure next to the Palm restaurant call for 264 units ranging from 700 to 1,400 square feet. Market-rate apartments will go for $1,400 to $2,800; 52 affordable housing units will have rents beginning at $500. The F-shaped structure, with a courtyard, also has 11,500 square feet of retail space. Ratner said pre-leasing will start in May. Johnson Fain Partners is the architect.

NORTHWEST GATEWAY
Construction could start this month on the 276-unit, mixed-income Northwest Gateway apartments on the site of a former train yard at Second Street and Glendale Boulevard. The $55 million development will include studio, one- and two-bedroom floor plans, and such amenities as a community room, computer lab, pool, spa, dog park, fitness center and two levels of underground parking. Developer Meta Housing hopes to complete construction by April 2006, said spokeswoman Nancy Morris. Construction has been delayed twice because of permit filing errors. Community groups failed in efforts to turn the site - the former Toluca train yard and Belmont tunnel, which runs beneath Bunker Hill - into an art park. A mechanic's garage, demolished in January, also sat on the plot. In September, the city's Cultural Heritage Commission designated the tunnel a Historical Cultural Monument. Developers said they will keep the tunnel intact, although it will not be open to the public.

OLYMPIC LOFTS
The $13 million conversion of the nine-story Federal Reserve Bank building at Olympic Boulevard and Olive Street in South Park should be complete by May, said developer Maz Gilardian. Plans call for 79 luxury live-work lofts with an average of about 1,000 square feet and 17-foot-high ceilings. Rent will be $2,000, Gilardian said. A restaurant and bar are planned on the ground floor of the 85-year-old structure.

ORSINI II
Construction could start as soon as April on the 600-unit Orsini II at 505 N. Figueroa St., said Peter Novak, executive vice president of Brentwood-based developer GH Palmer Associates. The complex will include luxury studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments. Rents will start at $1,250 for studios and $1,725 for two-bedroom units. Construction is scheduled to finish in spring 2006. The development is part of Palmer's three-phase Orsini project; the final phase will include 300 units. Novak said they hope to complete it by spring 2007.

PACIFIC ELECTRIC BUILDING
The $22 million conversion of the Pacific Electric Building at 610 S. Main St. into 314 lofts should be complete by mid-March, said Alex Moradi, president of Beverly Hills-based developer ICO Investment Group. Construction is about 95% complete, he said. Built in 1908, the nine-story Historic Core structure will feature lofts ranging from 550 to 3,700 square feet, as well as a gym and roof garden. Once a terminal for the Pacific Electric Railway, the 482,000-square-foot building also houses Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet. Moradi said the project is about 20% pre-leased. Killefer Flammang is the architect.

PACKARD LOFTS
The loft conversion of the former Packard car dealership at Hope Street and Olympic Boulevard is on track and set for completion in July, according to project manager Sean Marouf of Venice Investments. The developers are constructing 116 market-rate lofts, ranging from 750 to 2,000 square feet. Rents will range from $1,400 to $2,800. Marouf said he is hoping to attract a restaurant to the building's 25,000-square-foot ground floor storefront space. The development will also include a 450-car indoor parking garage.

SCI-ARC LOT
Richard Meruelo did not return calls seeking information about plans for a 15-acre Arts District plot he and developer Daniel Villanueva purchased for more than $12.5 million. The developers, operating under the name Merco Group LLC, are said to be considering building two towers of up to 50 stories each, with more than 300 units. They have not been granted building permits from the city. The property, which sits west of the Southern California Institute of Architecture, has become a battleground. SCI-Arc Director Eric Owen Moss said that discussions about the property are being held, and he is hopeful a solution can be worked out.

SECOND AND CENTRAL
Construction on the six-story, 128-unit complex on a small plot in Little Tokyo should be complete by March 2006, said Gino Canori, project manager for the Related Companies. The development will contain studios and one- and two-bedroom apartments. The luxury complex will include a pool, spa, fitness center and 12,500 square feet of retail. Units will range from 400 to 1,100 square feet, with the average apartment renting for $2.45 per square foot. About 20 of the units will be priced as low-income housing. The development broke ground last June and is aimed at students from USC and SCI-Arc, empty nesters and young professionals working in the nearby Financial District and Civic Center. The project is a joint venture between New York-based Related and San Francisco-based MacFarlane Partners.

SKYLINE VILLAGE
Skyline Village, a 73-unit affordable housing complex at Fourth and Lucas streets, is scheduled to open by April, said project manager Andrew Gross. Developed by Brentwood-based Thomas Safran Associates and the Housing Corporation of America, the nearly $14 million complex will feature one- to four-bedroom rental units, computer lab, recreational area and picnicking park. Torrance-based Withee Malcolm Partnership is the architect.

TEXERE PLAZA
Fortuna Asset Management is turning three Figueroa Corridor buildings on the block bounded by Flower, Figueroa, 22nd and 23rd streets into a $10 million mixed-use complex. The development includes 62 lofts in a three-story building fronting 23rd Street. Units range from 520 to 1,106 square feet. The plot also includes a one-story warehouse, retail buildings and a 200-space parking lot at 23rd and Figueroa streets. Several businesses have secured leases. The development is set for an April opening, said Letty Bernardino, a representative for the company.

THE UNION
Construction started in December on the conversion of the former Union Bank headquarters at 325 W. Eighth St. It should be complete in the first quarter of 2006, said Rob McRitchie, a partner with developer the Heisman Company. McRitchie said crews are finishing demolition inside the 68-year-old office building. Plans call for 91 concrete-floored apartments ranging from 450 to 1,400 square feet and renting for an average $1,600 a month. Killefer Flammang is the architect.

TITLE GUARANTEE BUILDING
Developer John Swartz and Philadelphia-based financial firm Lubert-Adler have teamed up to convert the Title Guarantee Building at 411 W. Fifth St. into 74 loft apartments. Santa Monica-based Killefer Flammang Architects is overseeing the conversion. Principal Wade Killefer said construction is scheduled to start in June and finish a year later. Swartz, who purchased the 12-story structure in 1983 for $9 million, bought out his investors' interest in the property. Swartz has said units in the building would start at 800 square feet, and rents in most lofts would range from $1,500 to $3,000 a month. The project will also feature one 4,000-square-foot unit in the building's tower that would rent for up to $9,000 a month. Ceilings would be exposed concrete and vary from 10 to 14 feet, said the developer. Architects John and David Parkinson modeled the Art Deco- and Gothic-inspired edifice after the Tribune Tower in Chicago. Built in 1930, the property is perhaps best known for Hugo Ballin's murals in the lobby. The structure, the former home of Spanish language newspaper La Opinión, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

TUSCANY
Los Angles-based Conquest Student Housing is building a 300,000-square-foot, 120-unit student apartment complex at 3760 S. Figueroa St. near USC. Construction on the $40 million project began in July and should be complete by summer 2006, said principal Alan Smolinisky. The five-story complex will house 512 students in one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom apartments. Amenities will include steam rooms, saunas, tanning beds, satellite television, a gym, sundeck, study lounge, dry cleaning, and maid and tutoring services. Smolinisky said Conquest has also secured leases for the project's 15,000 square feet of retail space from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Coldstone Creamery, Quiznos Subs, Pick Up Stix and Robek's. Rent will be $600 per student. Conquest owns 18 apartment buildings around USC.

UNION STATION VILLAGE
Construction on the $34 million, 278-unit housing complex at Union Station is set for completion by August. The 2.75-acre parcel on the northwest corner of the land was purchased by Newport Beach-based Lincoln Property Company from Catellus Corporation. Plans call for two five-story structures at the corner of Alameda and Cesar Chavez. Sixty percent of the rental units will be one bedroom and the remainder will be two bedrooms, all ranging from 640 to 1,400 square feet. The building will feature a rooftop pool and spa, along with a ground floor exercise facility and computer center. A bridge will connect the housing complex to Union Station.

USC TOWER
Plans for a $180 million apartment building at 11th and Flower streets have been cancelled, said John Vawter, chief operating officer for Alabama-based Capstone Development. Vawter would not say why the proposed structure was cut short. He said the developers do not own the land. The apartment complex was intended for graduate students from nearby USC. No future plans have been announced.

VERONA
Developer Sonny Astani hopes to construct 235 apartments on Wilshire Boulevard between Bixel and Witmer streets, just west of the 110 (Harbor) Freeway. The project, dubbed Verona, would feature 234 lofts, 10,000 square feet of retail and 450 parking spots. A representative from Astani's Beverly Hills office said construction is slated to begin in July 2006.

VICTOR CLOTHING LOFTS
The non-profit developer heading the conversion of the Victor Clothing Lofts into residential units said construction will start this month. Allen Gross, executive director of the non-profit Neighborhood Efforts, said construction should take about 14 months. Plans call for 38 live-works lofts in the five-story former home of the Victor Clothing Co. The building is perhaps best known for its exterior wall mural of Anthony Quinn as Zorba the Greek. The developers hope to restore the mural.

VISCONTI
The $45 million, 297-unit Visconti at Third and Bixel streets should be complete by the second quarter of 2006, said Peter Novak, executive vice president of Brentwood-based developer GH Palmer Associates. Last year, the developer agreed to pay $2.8 million to the city; this will exempt them from including low-income units in the Visconti, and allow them to convert 60 low-income units in another Downtown project, the Medici, into market-rate units.

WILSHIRE COURT
First-time Downtown developer Holland Partners of Vancouver, Wash., plans to build a two-tower ground-up apartment complex in City West. The four-story building at Bixel Street and Wilshire Boulevard will house 108 units. A second, five-story, 93-unit tower will rise just south, at Bixel and Ingraham streets. The two buildings will be linked with a skybridge. The development will include two- and three-bedroom units averaging 800 square feet. Principal Tom Warren said work crews are grading the site and construction on the underground parking garage should start in March. Warren said the project is scheduled for an early summer 2006 opening.

MIXED USE

BLOSSOM PLAZA
A groundbreaking is scheduled for next summer on the site of the former Little Joe's restaurant (it closed in 1998) at Alameda and College streets; the property will be turned into a mixed-use complex known as Blossom Plaza. The development is a collaboration between the city and private developers. The city purchased the plot for $4.7 million from owners Laeroc Partners and Bond Companies. Plans call for a parking garage, as well as a pedestrian bridge linking the adjacent Chinatown Gold Line station to Broadway. Construction on the parking garage is set to begin by mid-2005 and last a year. Laeroc and Bond retained the air rights to build on top of the garage. Larry Bond, who heads Bond Companies, said the housing will be compatible with Chinatown's design. Construction will last about two years, he said.

CAPITOL MILLING BUILDING
Steve Riboli and his family are reworking plans to renovate the 60,000-square-foot Capitol Milling Company building into a mix of residential and commercial spaces. Riboli said the project at 1231 N. Spring St. is in the conceptual stage, although plans call for converting the building into mixed-use with add-on elements. He is meeting with the city this month to discuss the proposal. Riboli said he is working with Larry Bond, who is developing the nearby multi-million dollar mixed-use Blossom Plaza, on creating a public space that would fuse the two sites. Riboli said he would not begin construction until Blossom Plaza is completed. The structure, built in 1831, is a former grain mill and silo. The Riboli family also owns the San Antonio Winery north of Chinatown.

GRAND AVENUE PLAN
The development team headed by New York-based Related Companies is conducting the final round of community meetings on preliminary plans for the Grand Avenue redevelopment project. The Related team was selected to implement a $1.2 billion plan to reinvent a strip of Grand Avenue - from Cesar Chavez on the north to the Richard J. Riordon Central Library at Fifth Street on the south - into promenades, high-rise apartments, hotels, offices, clubs and cafes. The developers are scheduled to present a preliminary proposal for the project next month. The team's architects include David Childs, who designed the proposed Freedom Tower on the site of the World Trade Center in New York, and Thom Mayne of Morphosis, who designed the new Caltrans headquarters on First Street. A concept released last year by a Joint Powers Authority established by the Community Redevelopment Agency and the County Board of Supervisors calls for the development of 3 million square feet of space - mainly two county-owned parcels and two city-owned.

MEDALLION
Developers Saeed Farkhondehpour and Morad Neman hope to break ground as early as June on the $125 million, 207,000-square-foot mixed-use project at Fourth and Main streets in the Historic Core. Farkhondehpour said the developers have met with city officials to iron out a plan for the project, which includes 375 market-rate rental units and 200,000 square feet of retail space in two 11-story towers. One would rise on the northeast corner of Fourth and Main, across the street from Pete's Café and Bar, and the other at Third and Main. The developer said the units would average 850 square feet, with 11-foot ceilings. He estimated that rents could range from $2 to $3 per square foot. The complex would include three commercial structures, ranging from two to three stories. Farkhondehpour said about 25 housing units fronting Main and Los Angeles streets would be scattered on the upper floors. The project would also include a two-acre courtyard and park. M2A Architects and Leo A Daly are the architects. Farkhondehpour said the aim is for construction to wrap in 2007.

METROPOLIS
Plans for a mixed-use project on a 6.3-acre plot bounded by Ninth and Francisco streets and the 110 (Harbor) Freeway have been submitted to the city, said John Vallance, executive vice president of City Centre Development Company. Phase one of the construction process includes a 53-story building with 548 apartments and 25,000 square feet of retail. Phase two calls for a 47-story structure with 288 apartments, a 480-room hotel and 10,000 square feet of retail. The third phase envisions a 38-story tower with more than 893,000 square feet of office space, 11,000 square feet of retail and a 95,000-square-foot space for a cultural institution. The project originally had a larger office component and retail elements, but was downsized after negotiations with the Community Redevelopment Agency in favor of more residential units, Vallance said. The developers, who have been working on various forms of the project for more than a decade, hope to start construction in the first quarter of 2006.

SANTEE COURT
Construction started in January on the second phase of Santee Court, a $130 million conversion of nine former garment factories in the Fashion District. Crews last month started demolishing the interiors of the Textile Center Building at 315 E. Eighth St. and the Gray Building at 824 S. Los Angeles St. to make way for 299 apartments and 30,000 square feet of retail, said developer Mark Weinstein of Santa Monica-based MJW Investments. Construction should wrap in December. The three-phase mixed-use and mixed-income project will eventually add 578 units to three blocks bounded by Los Angeles, Seventh and Ninth streets and Maple Avenue. The first portion, with 165 units, opened in May. Rite Aid opened a store in the 12,000-square-foot ground floor space and Weinstein said about 85% of the food court vendors have been secured. Construction on the final 80-condominium phase should start in March, with construction scheduled to wrap in September 2006. The entire project includes about 780,000 square feet of live-work lofts, shops and restaurants, with such amenities as a basketball court and a golf driving range. MJW Investments has secured a 70-year lease allowing it to build a parking structure on Maple for Santee Court tenants. The lot would also serve as a staging area for MTA buses.

SOUTH VILLAGE/RALPHS
CIM Group is building a $220 million, 7.2-acre, multi-block project that will contain 1,200 residential units and a 50,000-square-foot Ralphs grocery store. The first phase, the 251-unit Gas Company Lofts at 800, 810 and 820 S. Flower St., opened last year. Work on the $60 million second phase is set to get underway this month; it was delayed late last year by soaring construction costs. CIM has since redesigned the housing component planned atop the supermarket. Previously set to become rental units, the project will now hold 267 condominiums. The phase will be completed in December 2006. The Lee Group will take over as the housing developer, while CIM will oversee financing and the development of 10,000 square feet of retail along Ninth Street.

Phase 3, estimated at $21 million, would develop 152 rental lofts and 25,000 square feet of retail on the southwest corner of Eighth and Hope streets. Phase 4, estimated at $90 million, would develop sites that flank the supermarket on the northwest corner of Ninth and Flower, as well as a vacant parcel on the northeast corner of that block. Two new buildings would be constructed with 520 for-sale condominiums and another 30,000 square feet of retail.

CIVIC

CITY CENTER REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
City officials continue to contest a decision by a Superior Court judge last summer that rejected the $2.4 billion City Center Redevelopment Project. The judge ruled that the 879-acre project area, which includes portions of South Park, the Historic Core, and the Fashion, Jewelry, Flower and Toy districts, could not go forward because it overlapped significantly with the Central Business District redevelopment area, established in 1977. The project is expected, over its 30-year life, to create as many as 12,900 housing units (at least a quarter of them affordable) and up to 6.7 million square feet of commercial and industrial development. The plan also seeks to attract businesses and jobs, help the homeless and rehab historic buildings. The general boundaries of the project area are Second Street on the north, San Pedro Street on the east, the 10 (Santa Monica) Freeway on the south, and the 110 (Harbor) Freeway on the west, excluding the Convention Center and high-rises of the Financial District.

CORNFIELD STATE PARK
Crews earlier this month started construction on a temporary 10-acre park near Chinatown. The $1.2 million project is funded through Proposition 40 and will turn a quarter-mile piece of vacant land into a large, shaded lawn. The green space is the first element in the 32-acre Cornfield State Park; the former train yard was purchased by the state in 2001 for $30 million. The site is bounded by North Broadway, North Spring Street and the Los Angeles River. Community leaders and an advisory committee have hammered out a 15-page general plan for the site, which they are submitting to the California State Parks and Recreation Commission this summer. The temporary park, state officials said, will serve the community while the larger park is being approved and constructed.

EAST LOS ANGELES LIGHT RAIL PROJECTPresident Bush's budget proposals released earlier this month include $60 million for a six-mile light-rail transit line between Little Tokyo and East Los Angeles. Crews started construction in July on the $899 million Metro Gold Line extension from Union Station to Pomona/Atlantic. It is scheduled to open in late 2009. Residents of the densely populated corridor have waited for the line for nearly a decade; transit officials say it could carry as many as 23,000 daily riders. The Little Tokyo station would be at First and Alameda streets. Bush's budget also included $2 million for the Alameda Corridor East, an extension that would link Downtown with the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles.

FEDERAL BUILDING
Crews are working on upgrading the elevators in the federal building at 300 N. Los Angeles St. as part of a $90 million renovation of the 37-year-old structure, said Mary Filippini, a spokeswoman for the General Services Administration. The first $4.6 million phase should be complete by November. The designs for the rest of the building's upgrades should be ready by this summer, with construction scheduled to start in October or November, Filippini said. Slated improvements include new fire safety systems, ceilings, energy-efficient lighting, signage, security systems and elevators; the removal of hazardous materials such as lead and asbestos; and the seismic strengthening of the building's foundation and columns. The entire project will take about four years, Filippini said. The building houses more than 8,000 employees of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

FEDERAL COURTHOUSE
The fiscal 2005 budget included $314 million for a new Downtown Federal Courthouse at First Street and Broadway. Coupled with $50 million from last year's budget, the General Services Administration is looking for design-build contractors for the project, said spokeswoman Mary Filippini. Plans call for a 17-story building with about 1 million square feet that will house 41 courtrooms, 40 judges' chambers and office space for federal agencies. The government purchased the 3.6-acre site from the state of California for $2.5 million. Plans for the new courthouse have been on hold while funds were secured. Filippini said the design and construction of the building could take as long as five years. Last summer, federal officials capped the project at $314 million, about $80 million less than originally projected, resulting in downsized plans for the edifice.

HALL OF JUSTICE
Plans for the renovation and seismic upgrade of the 400,000-square-foot Hall of Justice are slowly moving ahead. The County Board of Supervisors last summer decided to break up the approval and construction process over a three-year period. Supervisors must approve each phase of the construction. The board in August granted approval for demolishing portions of the existing structure at 500 W. Temple St. John Edmisten of the county's Chief Administrative Office said an environment impact report has been commissioned and should be in front of the board by this summer. Renderings would take about six months to prepare before approval could be given and construction could start. Edmisten said the entire construction process would take about two years, putting its earliest completion date at winter 2008. The Hall of Justice, bounded by Temple, Spring, Broadway and the 101 (Hollywood) Freeway, was damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Estimates for converting the structure into a modern government office building are $127 million; it would be funded by the county and through bonds. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has also provided grants for the upgrade.

POLICE HEADQUARTERS
The former Caltrans site at First and Spring streets was identified last year as the future site of the new police headquarters. During a recent hearing of the Cultural Affairs Commission, however, the location was rejected. Though the commissioners only have the jurisdiction to approve the project's architectural design, they voted to send a message of disapproval to the City Council and ask that it reopen the public comment process, which some charge was initially flawed. Some area residents have complained the location was chosen without their input, and urged the city to follow through with earlier plans to build a park on the site. The Council is expected to overrule the vote and move forward with the plan to build a replacement for the earthquake damaged Parker Center.

TAYLOR YARD
Construction started earlier this month on a 40-acre park in Cypress Park near the Los Angeles River, said Sean Woods, a spokesman for the State Parks Department. Crews are grading the site a short drive north of Downtown and construction should begin in August, Woods said. Plans call for green spaces, hiking trails and wildlife habitats. The state is also leasing portions of the park to the city to build recreational fields and courts. The property, a former Union Pacific Railroad yard, cost $26 million to acquire in 2001 and the state has spent about $8 million to develop the park, Woods said. The project is slated for a summer 2006 completion.

SCHOOLS

AMBASSADOR HOTEL
The Los Angeles Conservancy in November filed a lawsuit to overturn an Oct. 12 Board of Education decision to build three schools on the site of the Ambassador Hotel. The preservation group, along with several community organizations, wants to save the main hotel building and move LAUSD construction to another part of the 24-acre site. After a decade of legal battles, bankruptcies and a two-year environmental review, the board voted to build schools to accommodate 4,200 students in the overcrowded area along the Wilshire corridor. School Board President José Huizar said the lawsuit could delay construction on the $324 million plan by up to a year, but said he expects the district to prevail. If successful, the schools could open in 2010. Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated in the pantry of the historic hotel. The LAUSD plan would preserve the pantry, along with the storied Cocoanut Grove nightclub and a coffee shop designed by Paul Williams.

BELMONT NEW PRIMARY CENTER NO. 11
Construction on a 532-student, year-round elementary school at Olympic Boulevard between Albany and Blaine streets is scheduled to finish by July 2005, according to an LAUSD timeline for the project. The facility will serve students in kindergarten through second grade. The project on a two-acre site is being designed by architect Gonzalez/Goodale and will feature a library, playground and underground parking.

CENTRAL LOS ANGELES AREA NEW HIGH SCHOOL NO. 9
The $87 million project at 450 N. Grand Ave. is on schedule for completion in the third quarter of 2006. The year-round school, with an emphasis on performing arts, will house more than 1,500 students in 64 classrooms. It is being built on a 10-acre site that formerly housed the LAUSD headquarters. HMC/Coop Himmelblau is the architect.

CENTRAL LOS ANGELES AREA NEW HIGH SCHOOL NO. 10
Construction on a 2,000-seat school at Third and Bixel streets on Crown Hill is scheduled to be completed in 2006. The 19-acre campus will hold a library, student store, gym, auditorium and athletic fields. The school will relieve overcrowding at Belmont and Marshall high schools. Johnson Fain is the architect.

CENTRAL LOS ANGELES AREA NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL NO. 4
The construction of a 1,200-student middle school on nine acres near Exposition Park is set for completion this spring. The project will create 63 classrooms, a courtyard, library, offices, a multipurpose room and food service area. Culver City-based Steven Ehrlich Architects is designing the project.

COLBURN SCHOOL OF PERFORMING ARTS
Construction on the $80 million expansion of the Colburn School of Performing Arts at 200 S. Grand Ave. is scheduled for completion in 2008. Work is ongoing on a 300,000-square-foot, 13-story high-rise next to the existing private school. Plans include a four-story academic building and three residential towers (one five-story building and two seven-story structures). The educational facility will house Colburn's new post-secondary music program and expanded pre-college program, and will feature a 200-seat performance venue plus classrooms, 4,000-square-foot rehearsal studios, 50 practice rooms, a cafeteria and offices. The CRA will lease the land to Colburn for $99 until 2082. Downtown-based Pfeiffer Partners Inc. is the architect.

LOS ANGELES TRADE-TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Construction is moving ahead on the $240 million four-phase renovation and expansion of the Los Angeles Trade-Technical College at Washington Street and Grand Avenue. The plans include a 700-car subterranean parking garage and a $1.2 million Child Development Center; they are set for completion in October. Eight campus buildings will also receive $75 million in renovations. The most visible structures will be two five-story classroom buildings set for construction along Grand Avenue. At 128,000 square feet each, they will house 33 classrooms and the administrative and student service offices; they will also frame a new entrance for the college. The construction is funded through Proposition A and AA funds and is scheduled for completion in 2008. Trade-Tech's 29-acre campus and 14 buildings have not seen a major upgrade in more than 25 years.

VISTA HERMOSA
In late December work crews demolished two structures sitting on an earthquake fault at First and Beaudry streets. The Los Angeles Unified School District plans to turn the half-finished Belmont Learning Center into a multi-school project renamed Vista Hermosa. It could open in 2007. The complex will include 2,600 seats and a 14-acre public park. Though concerns over dangerous gases and the earthquake fault have delayed the school for years, most school board and project officials say the problems can be mitigated. Four of the six buildings will be converted into a 2,100-seat school. A separate 500-seat academy, cafeteria, library, student union and parents' center will also be developed on the 34-acre site. A 12-acre public park will be developed and maintained by the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. LAUSD officials estimate the cost of the entire project at $111 million - on top of the $172 million already invested in the facility.

CULTURAL/ENTERTAINMENT

CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER
Fundraising efforts have netted the California Science Center $97 million for the expansion of the museum, said William Harris, senior vice president of developing and marketing. The $110 million expansion will house the World of Ecology, a series of interactive exhibits and live habitats. Designs for the building are complete, Harris said, and officials are ready to accept bids from contractors. Construction should wrap in 2008. This is the second of three phases of expansion for the Exposition Park museum. The first phase, completed last year, included the construction of the main museum, a parking facility and a school. The third phase will house the air and space collection. The entire project is scheduled for completion in 2013.

CENTRAL AVENUE ART PARK
Plans for a three-acre public art park on a block bounded by First, Judge John Aiso, Temple and Alameda streets have stalled, said Gerry Miller, executive officer at the chief legislative analyst's office. City officials for years have discussed building an art park on the site, but a complex series of master planning issues - involving debate over the location of the new police headquarters - have delayed the project. While the headquarters is now slated to rise at First and Spring streets, Miller said plans for the park have not moved forward. The earliest construction could start is mid-2006, he said. Michael Maltzman Architecture completed designs for the park several years ago.

FOOTBALL STADIUM
The National Football League hopes to have a rough agreement in place by May that would allow a team to begin playing in the Los Angeles area, possibly within four years. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said earlier this month he would like the league to return to Los Angeles by 2010 at the latest. The Memorial Coliseum in Exposition Park is competing to host a team, along with the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, a site in Carson and land around Angel Stadium in Anaheim. Coliseum officials and Eighth District City Councilman Bernard Parks, whose territory includes Exposition Park, are touting a proposed $500 million upgrade of the facility. In late 2003, the Coliseum Commission approved an environmental impact report on the renovation. Reconfiguring the stadium into an NFL-suitable venue would reduce the number of seats from 92,500 to 78,000. The plan would create some 200 luxury suites, plus club level seating, new locker rooms, restrooms and concession stands.

LA LIVE
The City Council earlier this month approved plans to give the developer of a $350 million Convention Center hotel up to $180 million in incentives. They come in the form of a $22 million loan, $10 million in improvements to the South Park site and up to $147 million in deferred hotel occupancy taxes and fees over 20 years. The 55-story hotel is the centerpiece of LA Live, a $1 billion entertainment complex spearheaded by Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the Denver-based company that owns Staples Center. Plans call for the transformation of six square blocks north of the arena into a 7,000-seat theater, street-level stores, restaurants and bars, a 15-screen Regal movie complex, a 4,000-space parking garage, up to 1,000 housing units, office space and a second, smaller hotel. Wolff Urban Development is overseeing the Convention Center headquarters hotel, which will have 1,200 rooms, and about 100 condominiums on upper floors. The developers have said they hope to break ground by May, and finish the entire complex, in stages, by 2014.

NATIONAL CENTER FOR THE PRESERVATION OF DEMOCRACY
Construction delays partially due to last month's rainstorms have pushed back the opening of the $7.5 million National Center for the Preservation of Democracy indefinitely, said Chris Komai, a spokesman for the Japanese American National Museum, which is overseeing the project. The center will be housed in an historic Little Tokyo building, the Hompa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple, at 369 E. First St. next to the museum. Portions of the building will be open for an April 22 preview, but a grand opening date has not been set. The center was originally scheduled to open last fall. In 2000, Congress allocated $20 million for the project.

NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
The redesign and expansion of the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park is on hold until at least 2006, said museum spokeswoman Jennifer Westfall. The museum is ironing out a timetable and looking to secure funding. The project was initially pegged at $300 million, although Westfall said the budget will likely change. A master plan by architect Stephen Holl envisions renovating a 410,000-square-foot building to make the museum's expansive collections and research resources - more than 33 million specimens - more accessible.

VARIETY ARTS CENTER
The company behind Staples Center and the $1 billion LA Live entertainment district may refurbish the historic Variety Arts Center at 940 S. Figueroa St. Anschutz Entertainment Group purchased the 1924 property last August from the Sehdeva family. The company is rumored to be interested in converting the five-story Italian Renaissance-inspired building into a live entertainment venue. A registered historic cultural monument, it contains a 1,000-seat theater, a smaller theater, nightclub space, a lounge, a library and offices. It was built as the headquarters for the Los Angeles Friday Morning Club, a women's organization.

VIBIANA PLACE
The $4 million Little Tokyo Branch Library is scheduled to open next month at Vibiana Place, the former St. Vibiana's Cathedral at Second and Main streets that once served as the headquarters of the Los Angeles Archdiocese. Beyond that, Old Bank District developer Tom Gilmore said some of the plans have changed for the earthquake-damaged structure. Gilmore would not disclose final details for the site, but did say it would contain a residential element, along with a hotel and restaurant. The 1876 structure is also being converted into a performing arts center for California State University-Los Angeles. No timeline for the project has been disclosed.

NONPROFIT/COMMUNITY

CALIFORNIA ENDOWMENT
Crews in December completed the steel frame of the $62 million California Endowment headquarters on a 6.5-acre plot at Alameda and Main streets. Construction started in June and is on schedule for a first quarter 2006 completion, said Jeffrey Okey, a spokesman for the group. Plans call for an office building, parking structure and meeting center on the plot near Terminal Annex. The nine-year-old healthcare foundation, one of the country's largest, will leave Woodland Hills for Downtown. L.A.-based Rios Clementi Hale Studios is the design architect. Downtown-based Urban Partners is no longer the development manager on the project; it has been taken in-house by California Endowment.

FIRST 5 LA HEADQUARTERS
Employees are scheduled to move into the new headquarters of First 5 LA this week, said spokesman Victor Abalos. The new facility is a three-story, 47,000-square-foot building at Alameda Street and the Santa Ana (101) Freeway. Catellus Development Corporation, which owns the land that houses Union Station, is building the office structure on a former parking lot on the southwest corner of the property. The building, set to house offices for other companies as well, coordinates with the style and master plan for nearby Union Station. First 5 LA funds children's groups and will leave a home at 333 S. Beaudry Ave.

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Construction is scheduled to start in early 2006 on the $5 million First United Methodist Church in South Park, said fundraising manager James Hong. The new building at Olympic and Flower will include a modern sanctuary, fellowship hall, a meditation garden and four floors of office space for nonprofit social service organizations. Hong said construction will take about 14 months.

FRANK RICE SAFEHAVEN
On Nov. 23, homeless services provider Lamp Community completed the $1.2 million renovation of its Central City East headquarters, which is being renamed the Frank Rice Safehaven. Crews worked for more than six months to renovate the 35-year-old, 4,300-square-foot building at 627 San Julian St. that Lamp Community has occupied for 19 years. A 6,400-square-foot top floor increased capacity by 25% and provides organizers additional office and meeting space. A team of a dozen students from the Southern California Institute of Architecture designed a new sun shelter for the residents. The center is named after Frank Rice, a former vice president of Bullocks department store who, with homeless advocate Mollie Lowery, founded Lamp Community in 1985. The project was funded privately, with help from the Weingart and Ahmanson foundations, which donated a total of $250,000.

JACCC EXPANSION
The Japanese American Cultural and Community Center in Little Tokyo has backed off from plans for a $15 million expansion in time for JACCC's 25th anniversary this year. The board of directors has instead decided to upgrade its existing facilities at 244 S. San Pedro St. by repairing elevators and electrical systems while fundraising continues, said spokesman Robert Hori. He said the planning process has gone slower than expected and the board has not created a timetable for the project. Plans for the 24,000-square-foot addition call for a digital education and learning center, a lecture and reception hall with state-of-the-art technical equipment, a 3,000-square-foot community gallery, a terrace bridge linking JACCC's main building with the Japan America Theatre, and a glass curtain wall that will provide the center with a contemporary facade. The project's architects are Japan-based Toyo Ito & Associates and Los Angeles-based Widom Wein O'Leary Terasawa.

LAC+USC MEDICAL CENTER REPLACEMENT FACILITY
Construction of the $820 million hospital on a 25-acre parcel at Merengo and Chicago streets is about halfway done, said Brad Bolger, project director for the County of Los Angeles. The 1.5 million-square-foot facility northeast of Downtown will include a seven-story outpatient structure; a five-story diagnostic and treatment building; an eight-story inpatient tower; and a central energy plant. The 750-bed complex will replace a nearby facility damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake. The Federal Emergency Management Administration, the Office of Emergency Services and county bonds are financing the project. Los Angeles based-HOK and Santa Monica-based LBL Associated Architects are handling the designs. Bolger said the project should be complete by March 2007.

LITTLE TOKYO RECREATION CENTER
Officials from the city and the Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) are close to inking a memorandum of understanding for the construction of a $16 million recreation center south of the former St. Vibiana's Cathedral, said LTSC Executive Director Bill Watanabe. The site is a city-owned parking lot at Second and Main streets. Plans include a multi-court gymnasium large enough to host major events; it will also serve as a community center. Watanabe said the new facility is envisioned as an economic driver for Little Tokyo. Watanabe said he hopes construction will be complete by 2008.

MIDNIGHT MISSION
Material shortages and last month's rainstorms have delayed the opening of the $17 million Midnight Mission at Sixth and San Pedro streets. Mission spokesman Orlando Ward said a Feb. 27 opening has been pushed back to April 10. Ward said the rain destroyed portions of the building's interior and delayed the concrete pouring schedule. The project was previously delayed due to a shortage of steel. Designed by Gin Wong Associates, the 90,000-square-foot, three-level structure will resemble a sprawling, modern office complex with glass paneling and concrete masonry; a visually striking piece of architecture will rise from the building's center. Built on 1.4 acres, the facility will include a 6,000-square-foot gym, a cafeteria and dining area, healthcare center, two-level administrative suite, day area and sitting room, computer lab, library and children's room. The mission will relocate from its current space at Fourth and Los Angeles streets. The move will allow the social services provider to triple its number of beds to 300, feed more than 2,000 people daily, and expand its rehabilitation and job services.

SENIOR NURSING FACILITY
The construction of a nursing facility on Hill Street between Alpine and Ord streets in Chinatown has been put on hold indefinitely, said Hector Cruz, project manager for Ontario-based architects HMC Group. Cruz said the decision was made by the proposed operator, the Pacific Alliance Medical Center Health Foundation, but would not provide a reason for the delay. The facility would have been a 57,000-square-foot medical center with space for 129 beds.

WHITE MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER
The $150 million renovation of the White Memorial Medical Center at 1720 E. Cesar Chavez Ave. in Boyle Heights is moving ahead. Crews are working on the focal point of the renovation, the 167-bed, six-story Acute Care Tower. The renovation will bring larger patient rooms, improved nurses' stations and additional labor, delivery and recovery rooms. Construction is set for completion this December. Crews are also renovating the three-story east tower, which houses rehabilitation units, and the four-story north tower, which hold the hospital's cancer center, medical library, resident lounge and administrative offices. A 90,000-square-foot Medical Office Building housing orthopedic care and a heart and diabetes center opened in August 2004 and an adjacent 507-car garage in front of the hospital debuted in January 2004. The 350-bed hospital serves about 165,000 people every year. The entire project should be complete by December 2007.

OPENED IN PAST YEAR

A.G. BARTLETT BUILDING
Construction finished earlier this month on the $15 million conversion of the Beaux Arts building at 215 W. Seventh St. The 140 condominiums range from 700 to 1,000 square feet. Developer Barry Shy said all of the units have been sold. Built in 1911, the 200,000-square-foot former office building was the home of Union Oil Company. Shy's Woodland Hills-based Mini LLC development company bought the Jewelry District building in 2001 for $5 million.

ALEGRIA APARTMENTS
Non-profit developer Esperanza Housing Corporation in November opened the $3.6 million, 15-unit affordable housing apartment complex at 801 W. 23rd St. The refurbished three-story structure, now called Alegria Apartments, includes an onsite manager's office, a recreation room and a laundry facility.

BARRY'S LOFTS
Construction finished in December on the residential conversion of the building at 312 W. Fifth St./501 S. Broadway (also referred to as the Fifth and Broadway building) into 280 condominiums. Developer Barry Shy said the $20 million project, which features a ground floor Rite-Aid pharmacy, has for-sale units ranging from 500 to more than 1,000 square feet. Shy had originally planned to offer the units as apartments.

CALTRANS HEADQUARTERS
The District Seven Caltrans headquarters opened in late September after a 30-month, $200 million construction process. The block-long project, bounded by First, Second, Main and Los Angeles streets houses nearly 2,000 state and city transportation employees. The 700,000-square-foot, 13-story glass and steel-lined building also includes a 1,142-space parking garage, daycare center, healthcare facility and a mechanic's garage for the state's transportation fleet. The project was designed by Thom Mayne of Santa Monica-based Morphosis.

CESAR CHAVEZ GARDENS
All 47 units in the affordable housing project at 555 W. Cesar Chavez Ave. are occupied. The multifamily units opened last May. Developed by the Chinatown and Little Tokyo service centers, the $10.2 million project also includes a childcare center, family health and education clinic and offices for senior, youth and social services, counseling and workforce development.

CITY LOFTS
Construction wrapped up in November on the $8 million, 35-unit City Lofts at 626 S. Spring St. in the Historic Core. Developers Izek Shomof and Eli Dromy turned the six-story Sassony Building (also known as the Mortgage Guarantee Building) into 35 one-bedroom and studio apartments, with two 15,000-square-foot retail storefronts. Rents in the 700-1,100-square-foot apartments range from $1,190 to more than $2,000. The 82-year-old building features 16-foot tall ceilings and a rooftop garden and fireplace. About half of the units have been leased, said leasing manager Bernard Montana. Last fall, 626 Gallery signed a lease for one of the storefronts, he said.

CITY VIEW LOFTS
Construction wrapped in August on the conversion of the 81-year-old former Young's Market Company at Union and Seventh streets; the project was undertaken by Santa Monica-based Fred Leeds Property Management. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the building's 44 loft apartments range from 655 to more than 3,000 square feet. The former terra cotta warehouse features 64-foot-tall archways and skylights, as well as marble and granite countertops. Leasing agent Matthew Phillips said the property is about 90% leased. The project also includes a 20,000-square-foot ground floor retail space.

CITYLIFE DOWNTOWN CHARTER SCHOOL
Last September, the 80-student CityLife Charter School opened on the second level of the World Trade Center at Figueroa and Third streets. The school, founded by Jacki Breger, teaches sixth grade students with an emphasis on learning in an urban setting. Breger said she hopes to add one grade each year until CityLife serves grades six through 12. Earlier this month the school received a $10,000 grant from the Los Angeles Conservancy for an educational program studying religious sites along Wilshire Boulevard.

GAS COMPANY LOFTS
Crews finished construction last May on the $48 million Gas Company Lofts at 800, 810 and 820 S. Flower St. The former headquarters of the Southern California Gas Company now houses 251 rental lofts ranging from 600-square-foot studios to 1,400-square-foot two-bedroom units to 2,000-square-foot penthouses. Rents in the 13-story building range from $1,250 to $3,000. Amenities include granite counters and an on-site concierge. The buildings also contain 22,500 square feet of street-fronting retail, including an International House of Pancakes. The lofts are part of Hollywood-based CIM Group's $220 million, 7.2-acre, multi-block project called South Village, which includes plans for a Ralphs grocery store.

GOLD LINE
The Los Angeles-Pasadena Metro Gold Line opened last July on time and under budget. The nearly 14-mile light rail travels from Downtown's Union Station to Pasadena. The 13 stations include Chinatown, Lincoln Heights, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, South Pasadena and Pasadena. The Gold Line operates from 3:35 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily, with trains running every 10 to 20 minutes. The Los Angeles to Pasadena Construction Authority built the $859 million railway. Plans are in the works for a second, 11-station phase that will extend into East Los Angeles. It will include a Little Tokyo/Arts District station and a Mariachi Plaza stop.

MAIN STREET APARTMENTS
The $6 million conversion of the former Rutland Apartments at 1821-1829 S. Main St. was unveiled Jan. 31. The new 135-unit Main Street Apartments include studio and one-bedroom units; 62 have been rented and half of the residences are designated affordable housing, said Laura Kaufman, a spokeswoman for developer Playa Vista Property Management. The 100,000-square-foot development includes 30,000 square feet of retail space. The project is part of Playa Vista's Genesis 2000 plan, a blueprint for creating affordable housing in underutilized Downtown buildings

MANUAL ARTS NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL NO. 1 (SCIENCE CENTER SCHOOL)
The 28-classroom Manual Arts New Elementary School No. 1 opened in September on the campus of the California Science Center. Situated on five acres at the corner of Exposition Boulevard and Figueroa Street, the school includes the $27 million Amgen Center for Science Learning. A Federal Emergency Management Agency grant, as well as state and education bond money, funded the construction of the school, which focuses on math and science. Santa Monica-based Morphosis designed the campus building.

ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL HIGH SCHOOL
Nearly 800 students are now attending the high school at 300 W. 23rd St. near Adams Boulevard, which opened last September. The year-round magnet school is part of a medical studies program guided by the neighboring Orthopaedic Hospital. The hospital donated a 4.27-acre plot of land for the 32-classroom school's construction. Facilities include a library, cafeteria, science labs and administrative offices. Roughly half the students attending the school live in the nearby Jefferson High School district, while the remainder applied through the school district's magnet schools program.

PEGASUS
The conversion of the former Mobil Oil building at 612 S. Flower St. into 322 apartments finished on time and opened last June. The development includes studios, live-work spaces, one- and two-bedroom apartments and penthouses. Rents range from about $1,300 for 500-square-foot studios to nearly $7,000 for penthouses with skyline views. The roof also holds a fitness center, pool and garden. The Kor Group and Kennedy Wilson International undertook the $53 million venture. Future additions include 12,000 square feet of ground-floor retail; a restaurant or a high-end yoga studio are possibilities. The 500,000-square-foot, 13-story structure built in 1949 was designed by Welton Beckett.

PIERO
GH Palmer Associates' 225-apartment complex at 616 S. St. Paul St. was completed in October. The $38-million project includes studios, one-, two- and three-bedroom units and 10,000 square feet of commercial space. Palmer is developing numerous Italian-themed apartments buildings in Downtown.

ROBERT TUTOR HALL
Construction finished in January on the $50 million, six-story Robert Tutor Hall, part of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. The 103,000-square-foot building houses engineering offices, student lounges, cafes and classrooms. Named after USC Trustee Ronald N. Tutor, the Romanesque complex houses the research divisions of biomedical technology, information technology and nanotechnology. Designed by AC Martin Partners, it opened Feb. 2.

SANTA FE ANNEX
Construction wrapped earlier this year on the eight-story Santa Fe Annex at Sixth and Main streets, said Dennis Allen, an analyst for developer the Kor Group. The firm converted the 1917 building into 103 new lofts.

TOMAHAWK BUILDING
Flatiron Development, headed by Santa Monica-based David Gray, completed the $1.1 million residential conversion of the Tomahawk Building at 814 S. Spring St. last June. Each of the building's seven floors features a single 1,800-square-foot loft and accommodates two bedrooms. Prices range from $2,500 to $3,500. Units are partially furnished with built-in bookcases and cabinets. The development also includes two storefront retail spaces. Gray dubbed the structure the Tomahawk Building for the tomahawk embedded in the facade between the second and third floors. The city's Cultural Heritage Commission in 2003 earmarked the Fashion District structure a historical landmark.

TOY FACTORY LOFTS
All but one of the 119 condominiums in the Toy Factory Lofts have been sold. Developer Linear City opened the project last July after spending $25 million to convert an 81-year-old former toy factory at 1855 E. Industrial St. into units ranging from 750 to more than 2,000 square feet. The condominiums start in the mid-$200,000 range. A rooftop garden and ground floor retail are also planned.

VISTA DEL SOL/PUEBLO DEL SOL
Construction wrapped in December on the three-phase, $103 million mixed-income projects known as Vista del Sol and Pueblo del Sol. Headed by the Lee Group, the Related Companies of California and McCormack Baron Salazar, the development created 435 rental and for-sale units on a 35-acre parcel on the eastern edge of Downtown. The development includes 93 three- and four- bedroom homes ranging from 1,430 square feet to 1,578 square feet; they start at $415,000. Affordably priced houses go for an average $190,000. The complex's 377 apartments range from $368 to $948 for two- to four-bedroom units. The project replaces the former Aliso Village public housing complex, which was partially torn down in 1998
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM   #74
vicecityguy

Likes (Received): 1

Pictures of Luma and Elleven (third tower is missing)

vicecityguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM   #75
soup or man
Diamondz...

Awesome pictures of Elleven.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:15 AM   #76
J.M.B

qw
J.M.B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #77
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 521

It looks Awesome
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #78
Downtownlaguy

Thanks for posting this. I love what they are doing with Downtown and I hope these go up. I'm a new Downtown LA resident and I must say it is a great place to live.
Downtownlaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #79
Caliguy2005

these all look like great projects for Downtown Los Angeles and i hope more projects like these will continue in Downtown L.A,and besides if Los Angeles is running out of land,then they will eventually have to build upwards...Los Angeles has a very bright future ahead of it.
Caliguy2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #80
scottman77

Great website.. (www.LALoftNews.com)

Hey guys I found this great website that has up to date information on all of the projects downtown.. It just launched.. check it out...

www.LALoftNews.com

If there is any information that you know of that isn't on there, go to the feedback part of the site and let them now. Thanks..
scottman77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, development summary, los angeles