daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Paperbird

Likes (Received): 62

Shanghai, December 2011

Some pics from my visit to Shanghai in December 2011. A massive and fascinating city.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by t_virtamo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Paperbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Paperbird

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Paperbird

Additional pics

By paper_bird at 2012-01-19

By Paper_bird at 2012-01-19

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Paperbird

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Paperbird

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #6
0scart
Salta - Argentina

Likes (Received): 3136

Beautiful captures! I just wonder what the local people may think of their city's thriving.

0scart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Magnificent.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

fantastic new photos from Shanghai....thanks for sharing.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Paperbird

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM   #10
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

love your steely grey style
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Your photos are awesome, Paperbird. I am planning to visit Shanghai myself this summer and it's a great pleasure to have a preview. Especially such high quality images.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Paperbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
love your steely grey style
Thanks, Spliff Fairy! I must say that Shanghai in December was very grey and hazy indeed. I had to do some editing in order to squeeze some color out of those photos...
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Paperbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Your photos are awesome, Paperbird. I am planning to visit Shanghai myself this summer and it's a great pleasure to have a preview. Especially such high quality images.
Thank you Pansori. I'm glad you liked the photos. Shanghai was extremely interesting. I was very impressed by the vast urban scenery that seemed to go on endlessly.

The city will probably look quite different in the summer. Not as grey and hazy. Might be easier to take good photos then.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:42 AM   #14
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks, Paperbird. I will keep that in mind. Weather is the only concern I have.

Also, everyone keeps saying that Shanghai is amazing, awesome, incredible, extremely interesting... I mean is it really T H A T amazing? You know my expectations are kinda high (pretty much sky high, in fact) by now. Especially after all those amazing photos I've seen over time in SSC.

On the other hand, I had extremely high expectations for Shenzhen and Guangzhou. Guess if they were totally blown away and beaten by a margin too big to describe . My jaw was open most of the time when there. Just wonder how much better it can actually get? And can Shanghai actually be even more amazing in terms of urban glory and grandness? I just can't imagine how on earth that should look like. Anyhow, it gets more and more exciting.
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Paperbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Thanks, Paperbird. I will keep that in mind. Weather is the only concern I have.

Also, everyone keeps saying that Shanghai is amazing, awesome, incredible, extremely interesting... I mean is it really T H A T amazing? You know my expectations are kinda high (pretty much sky high, in fact) by now. Especially after all those amazing photos I've seen over time in SSC.

On the other hand, I had extremely high expectations for Shenzhen and Guangzhou. Guess if they were totally blown away and beaten by a margin too big to describe . My jaw was open most of the time when there. Just wonder how much better it can actually get? And can Shanghai actually be even more amazing in terms of urban glory and grandness? I just can't imagine how on earth that should look like. Anyhow, it gets more and more exciting.
I visited Beijing a year ago and was blown away. It was my first time, not only in China but in the whole of Asia, so everything was new and exciting. Then when I decided to visit Shanghai (though I also visited Hanoi and Hong Kong on this same trip), a couple of people told me that it isn't as nice as Beijing; that it is a modern business city, not a cultural or an entertainment city. I can see their point, but that urban grandness was the reason why I went and it didn't disappoint. Someone else could perhaps find it just grey and boring, but I enjoyed walking around the city a great deal.

My only disappointment was that it was so hazy that doing photography was a bit frustrating. I went up to Lupu Bridge and the SWFC and couldn't see much. I've heard that Shanghai is very hot and rainy in the summer, but apparently the air is a bit clearer.

I'd imagine that Guangzhou and Shenzhen look a lot like some parts of Shanghai but I would think that there is more to see in Shanghai. It is an interesting blend of East and West with lots of historical European influences. Also, Suzhou nearby must be lovely in the summer. I didn't have time to go there unfortunately. I was in Shanghai for four days only and didn't run out of things to do!

Between Shanghai and Beijing though, I must say that I probably enjoyed Beijing even more, even though both are great cities.

I hope you'll have a great visit.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
I visited Beijing a year ago and was blown away. It was my first time, not only in China but in the whole of Asia, so everything was new and exciting. Then when I decided to visit Shanghai (though I also visited Hanoi and Hong Kong on this same trip), a couple of people told me that it isn't as nice as Beijing; that it is a modern business city, not a cultural or an entertainment city. I can see their point, but that urban grandness was the reason why I went and it didn't disappoint. Someone else could perhaps find it just grey and boring, but I enjoyed walking around the city a great deal.

My only disappointment was that it was so hazy that doing photography was a bit frustrating. I went up to Lupu Bridge and the SWFC and couldn't see much. I've heard that Shanghai is very hot and rainy in the summer, but apparently the air is a bit clearer.

I'd imagine that Guangzhou and Shenzhen look a lot like some parts of Shanghai but I would think that there is more to see in Shanghai. It is an interesting blend of East and West with lots of historical European influences. Also, Suzhou nearby must be lovely in the summer. I didn't have time to go there unfortunately. I was in Shanghai for four days only and didn't run out of things to do!

Between Shanghai and Beijing though, I must say that I probably enjoyed Beijing even more, even though both are great cities.

I hope you'll have a great visit.
Yes I hear that about Beijing and Shanghai in terms of one being more cultured and the other like being just a modern business city. I strongly disagree with that.

Beijing is the nation's capital yes. But that means it has some monuments and hutongs but by no means more culturally meaningful than Shanghai.

Shanghai on the other hand, I feel has preserved its historic character far better than Beijing has. Walking down some streets, you feel like it is something straight out of a 1930's novel about Old Shanghai. I never got a corresponding feeling from Beijing. Shanghai has significant culture. A modern business city without culture would be Shenzhen.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
A modern business city without culture would be Shenzhen.
Even that is not quite true despite the existing prejudice and even some very valid reasons for this to be the case (young age of the city, lots of immigration etc.). However, this was the first and so far the only city where I saw a monument to... graffiti! (photo). Without even having a clue I ended up in what must have been one of the most charming and pleasant art districts in a former converted factory area. Believe it or not but Shenzhen does have its share of Bohemian spirit no matter how much against existing prejudice this might go.

I think it's the nature of rapid (and by rapid we really mean rapid) change in Chinese cities where even those who closely follow the events cannot digest all the changes that happen there. Hence prejudice and default assumptions come to help (such as Shenzhen having no culture and being dangerous, or Guangzhou being gray and ugly, or Shanghai being just a business city, or Beijing being better for culture than Shanghai, etc.). I think the biggest excitement in China is to see the place in person and break any stereotypes one might have in their head.

by any means, Paperbird please continue with posting your excellent photos if you have any more. It's a great pleasure to enjoy quality.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3765

Looks good even in winter

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #19
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post

I hope they keep these buildings in the future...

great pictures!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:26 AM   #20
Paperbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Yes I hear that about Beijing and Shanghai in terms of one being more cultured and the other like being just a modern business city. I strongly disagree with that.

Beijing is the nation's capital yes. But that means it has some monuments and hutongs but by no means more culturally meaningful than Shanghai.

Shanghai on the other hand, I feel has preserved its historic character far better than Beijing has. Walking down some streets, you feel like it is something straight out of a 1930's novel about Old Shanghai. I never got a corresponding feeling from Beijing. Shanghai has significant culture. A modern business city without culture would be Shenzhen.
I do agree with you about Shanghai, especially after visiting the city. I was merely quoting what I was told before my trip. I have a feeling that some people who visit - especially those who are only stopping by - only see the areas around Nanjing Lu, Bund and Pudong and leave with mixed feelings. Of course there is a great deal more to this diverse city. I found Zhabei and Hongkou particularly nice to walk around, although I regret to note that I didn't come home with many pictures from those parts.

I should also mention that I stayed at the Broadway Mansions Hotel, which I chose - in addition to being a classy hotel at a great location - for its historical significance.