daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old January 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM   #21
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 20

Oh right I wondered what Q2 meant lol but is that just the info? Carnt we get another render before that?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Q2 is when they'll submit the planning application, so everything to do with the scheme will be able to view and will most likely include renders. It's up to the architects and developers if they want to release any renders before then - there's not really any set procedure to that.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #23
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 370

Architects would not release renders without permission from the developer. Some glossy renders will be produced to generate interest in the scheme with the planning application.

The design is far from the slender duo of the cancelled Snow Hill towers, but it still looks interesting enough. Really bizarre visuals!
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:58 PM   #24
sefton66

Likes (Received): 508

Will this need to secure a pre let before construction or would it be a speculative build?

Ive heard a rumour they are possibly hoping to get planning for this and put in planning for extension of the old app going with the scheme which attracts a tennant first, doubt this is true though?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:43 PM   #25
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 191

I ******* hate recessions.

I know overall it's not a bad building but can't help thinking what it should could've been.

Another missed opportunity. This was the only true proposal that was underway not like the bull shit V Building or Regal.

hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Will this need to secure a pre let before construction or would it be a speculative build?

Ive heard a rumour they are possibly hoping to get planning for this and put in planning for extension of the old app going with the scheme which attracts a tennant first, doubt this is true though?
Yeh it will most likely need a prelet to secure bank funding. I can't imagine the old scheme having much success going forward because of the high number of apartments.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

if I hadn't seen the original plans I'd be really happy with this, sadly, it's anothre nail in the coffin for a skyscraper in Birmingham. This was a prefect location so close to BT tower.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #28
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Nah i think it will be around 100metres. The original 43 floor tower was 138meters so i think talking about it being close to 125metres is a bit too far.

I think there thinking of giving us skyscraper dudes a tower which will be excatly 100metres to stop us moaning, he he he
Resi floor to ceiling differ to office floor to ceiling.

My guesstimate is that they've chopped off 15-20m.

Its going to be a biggy still. 120-125m.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #29
joshwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
if I hadn't seen the original plans I'd be really happy with this, sadly, it's anothre nail in the coffin for a skyscraper in Birmingham. This was a prefect location so close to BT tower.
I agree but its better then nothing isn't it? I hope it goes ahead
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #30
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Resi floor to ceiling differ to office floor to ceiling.

My guesstimate is that they've chopped off 15-20m.

Its going to be a biggy still. 120-125m.
I agree here, would be my guess also, im just glad that something else has been proposed for the site. The old proposal just wouldnt have seen the light of day in this current climate.
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #31
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66

/
I'm not sure whether it i possible to have 2 different but valid applications at anyone time. Woody do you know if it is possible?

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM   #32
Myster E

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
I agree here, would be my guess also, im just glad that something else has been proposed for the site. The old proposal just wouldnt have seen the light of day in this current climate.
Welcome back. I'm probably in agreeance with EK slightly, shame about the loss of height and my first thought was 45 Church Street, doesn't even look Alpha's height. It's to be accepted with the economic uncertainty amidst all the doom and gloom, I'm sure this will grow on me but at the mo, not really digging it.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM   #33
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
Welcome back.
Cheers, didn't think anyone would realise.... I do a lot more browsing of the site now and hardly comment but ive often been 'lurking' on here whilst staying silent haha.
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #34
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

People seem to be being quite negative about this. I thought phase 3 was completely dead so am really pleased it may be going ahead. I think it's a v nice design and if it's to be taken literally, its a biggy considering its neighbour is 75m.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 115

People seem to forget that how are they going to build this with no one planning on moving in once complete. Is that the problem we are having with Natwest and Beoroma?
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #36
joshwebb

why whats happening on 45 church street?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #37
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
/
I'm not sure whether it i possible to have 2 different but valid applications at anyone time. Woody do you know if it is possible?
Yes this is perfectly legal and perfectly acceptable... assuming all proposals are deemed appropriate.

I have just detal with a city centre site which the owner whats to sell. Consequently, the increase the value and salability of the site, they submitted 3 different planning applications for three different buildings for three different uses... apartments, student accommodation and a hotel... perfectly legal... but as soon as you start on site for one planning application, you can only commense work on one permisison, not all three... ie you cant start buildings an apartnemtn building and then switch halfway through the build to the approved hotel without the need for another planning application....
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #38
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
People seem to forget that how are they going to build this with no one planning on moving in once complete. Is that the problem we are having with Natwest and Beoroma?
Yeh, they need a pre-let. Banks are very unlikely to give loans to fund the construction of office buildings right now if they don't have a tenant lined up. Before the recession, we saw office buildings getting funding irrespective of if there was a tenant or not. Now it's a completely different story.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #39
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 263

Woody .... is this really a 24 storey office building .... is this confirmed?
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #40
joshwebb

Why sandblast? Do you think its got more or less floors?