daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #101
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 180

I still hate that entrance though it's simply awful. It looks very stand-offish and looks like it's trying to hide something. The Building is fine but the entrance is absolutely awful.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #102
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 81

I agree with you there Typhoon.

It's almost as if it's a sop to the previous scheme, with it's grand stairs and bridge between the two towers.

They either need to make it bigger or scrap it.
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #103
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 79

well considering they are using the footprints of the original buildings, these staps would surely be the same size as those proposed in the tower scheme!?
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #104
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

I'm really excited snowhill 3 is moving. I think it'll be a great addition and looks like it's 100m+ which is great :-) Yes, it's not quite up to the original scheme but considering the financial crisis this is a good result (imo, of course!)
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #105
Sgt.Wilko

As someone who is not involved in any way with the design of buildings or of the public realm I always read with interest the comments of those forumers that are involved or studying the subject. If I may pass comment though on some of the comments about this building. Some of the adverse comments on the site have been about the entrance to the building and the lack of interaction at ground level with the street.

I can understand the view that both are somewhat underwhelming however I feel that a distinction should be made between the needs of a HQ building and the needs of a building that will provide office space to many companies ( The McClaren building for example does not strike me as imposing at street level). Corporations often wish to make a statement to the world via their HQ buildings and that in many cases they make it by the initial entrance and public reception areas. For a purely commercial building though the requirement really surely is for functionality – does the entrance work?- is the public reception of suitable quality?

The apparent lack of progress on the HQ building slated for NatWest Colmore Row may have coloured the design and led the developers to maximise the space available for commercial use rather than make a statement – I merely speculate at their intent.

With regards to the dead street level I assume that people mean some form of public interaction such as café’s, restaurants, shops etc. These of course need to be commercially viable and I would suggest that the lack of pedestrian flow past this building would make anything here unsustainable. The area is currently dead all day and this building will only generate footfall during the working day, I would doubt if that would be sufficient to generate income for a business.

What I do think it does is put additional people into the area that will help any future development on the strip opposite for instance to incorporate some street interaction I therefore welcome the building to the area and see it as a positive catalyst for future developments near by.
Sgt.Wilko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #106
Sgt.Wilko

Suttonbluenose also raised the issue of additional traffic with cars and taxis calling into the offices. This surely is only for visitors and I would not really see there being a constant stream of visitors arriving by car or taxi. I have been to many office buildings throughout the world with impaired vehicular access and I do not see this as a problem in any way.

Cars could easily be accommodated by taking some spaces on contract at Snowhill for the entire building or on a company-by-company basis. If there is sufficient room behind the building then maybe an exit from the far end of the car park down to street level would make this arrangement highly suitable.

With regards to taxis they stop kerbside all the time in places like London and the minute or so it takes for passengers to disembark does not seem an issue.

Finally and forgive me if the design makes this clear – but did the cancelled plans not include some underground parking space and there appears to me still to be some construction that leaves this possible.
Sgt.Wilko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #107
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 96

In terms of the underground parking point I recall that this has already been completed for all 3 phases. I suspect this is why the steps are in the same place as I suspect they already exist behind the hoardings.
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #108
woodhousen

following on from sgt. wilkos comments, everything everyone has assumed about this scheme is just that, an assumption. given the fact that the sketches we've seen so far are so vague, we relly know nothing about this scheme... consequently, discussions on whether this building is too high or too short, or concerns about ground floor uses are a little premature as we have absolutely no idea of what is actually being proposed and what form it will take!
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #109
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 64

When I first saw this I feared that what looks like 2 floors might actually be 1 because of the perspective of the photo.

But looking again and at the figures on floorplates I can't really figure it out. The lower section will give the 20 000 sq ft floorplates which look about the same as the first phase and twice the size of 11 Brindleyplace which is probably the same size as the upper section?

My guess is that 200 000 sq ft office space is about 250 000 sq ft with plant rooms.

100m?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #110
sefton66

Likes (Received): 471

BUMP

Looks like a 90m office block then

Quote:
Application Details
Application Number 2012/07761/PA
Application Type Outline
Site Address No.3 Snowhill Snowhill Queensway Birmingham B4 6JG
Proposal Outline application (all other matters reserved except for access) for the erection of office (Use Class B1(a) with retail/restaurant/conference/gym (Use Classes A1, A3, D1 & D2) associated Plant, parking and landscaping
http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...APP&key=579388
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #111
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 81

Blimey! If that's we we finish up with after this whole sorry saga, then we'll have come out of it very well.

I like that - not as good as the original plan, but better than the last idea we saw.
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #112
sefton66

The last planning app is just a temporary measure until this secures a pre let both proposals will happen at some point, unless they can get a big enough prelet straight away!

Still think they could have replaced the residential part with a hotel above the offices
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:51 PM   #113
woodhousen

good to see this finally in the public domain!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM   #114
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 263

Nice! Looks like the cores are still the same shape as the Westin Hotel?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM   #115
sefton66

Cores will be demolished and they will reuse the shape of the podium platform that has been built
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #116
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 437

Looks nice but a shame to lose a tower that would have added to the skyline, this, even if it was 100m, won't be that visible given its location.

Anyway, at 15m AOD taller than its neighbour, if built to full permitted height and sitting on lower ground, this is looking like 90-95m.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #117
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 689

SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM   #118
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Meh!! Economist might have been right!!
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #119
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Meh!! Economist might have been right!!
Right about what?
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #120
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 36

I'm enjoying the facade detail, the vertical fins especially on the Queensway elevation.

However I can't quite understand why they've chosen to remove the stepping in height which faces St Chads Square. The design feature would have allowed a large mid-rise to open up toward Constitution Hill and create a less imposing elevation. This wasn't a problem when we had a tall slender tower.

Much improved but just a thought
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote