daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

hkskyline's 2011 MALAGA Photo Collection

Malaga is the beach destination that cloud-weary Brits love. With lovely weather, great sand, a big ocean, and rock-bottom prices, I could see why it's such a popular destination. However, my mission here is not to hit the beach, but to sightsee and rest before my bigger adventures in Cordoba and Granada.

1. My stay in Malaga would be one and a half days long, which meant I had to scramble quick. Thanks to my hotel loyalty points, I was able to secure something very cheap just outside the historic core, but within easy walking distance of the key sights.

2. This place looks like it needs a little rain to get the river going.

3. A short walk from the bridge is the bustling Mercado de Atarazanas, where locals get their groceries. There are no big-box retailers in sight.

6. I love photographing markets, and this place was worth a good half hour to explore.

10. The array of colours put together makes even the smallest green vegetable interesting.

13. I ended up buying a small bag of the dried figs dipped in the white powder (presumably sugar). They were absolutely delicious and were a wonderful snack for the next few days.

16. I'm not a big cheese person although that is starting to change with more Business Class air travel.

17. The market building itself is quite historic although I think they did extensive renovations / cleaning.

19. Malaga is right by the ocean so there was plenty of seafood.

21. I've never seen this type of orange on a shrimp before. Wait ... maybe it's a crayfish?

29. Back outdoors, this section of Paseo del Parque is a narrow strip of flat land edged between the Alcazaba and the waterfront park.

33. Despite a bustling street scene with patrons eating and drinking in open-air tables, Iglesia de Santiago was a serene place of reflection where humanity seemed to have disappeared, at least temporarily.

35. There are lots of churches in the historic centre, and church-hopping got onto my itinerary. Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón is set in a quiet square off a main street.

38. Iglesia de Los Martires' interior is stunning.

More highlights in the next part. For the full set, please visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/malaga.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1741

Great! I love your threads so I'm glad you visited my place , I hope you had a great time here! I'm looking forward for more pics and comments!, not only from Malaga but also from Granada, a city you surely liked more than Malaga.
Just as an extra comment, it is in those markets (and construction sites) where you can hear the people with the most local accent, I was born here and sometimes it's very hard for me to understand those shopkeepers :S.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

just love your market photos hkskyline, Malaga sure looks fantastic....thanks for sharing.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:32 AM   #4
madonnagirl
Materially Yours

Likes (Received): 467

lovely shots....
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

44. Perched at the top of the hill, Gibralfaro dates from Muslim times and was built to protect the Alcazaba below. Today, it's a park and the views are wonderful. Let's start with some historic items from the small museum.

48. Now climb the walls for the best views.

53. I took a siesta before visiting this place so I was fully energized for a good walk!

58. The site was not so busy at all considering it was late afternoon.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244614

Beautiful, very nice photos from Malaga
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

77. Although the Teatro Romano is now in ruins and overshadowed by the Alcazaba towering next door, its structure is still clearly visible, especially the seating areas. Dating from the 1st century BC, it was discovered in 1951 during construction works.

80. The Sociedad Económica de Amigos del País was built in 1785 and was first used by the Maritime Consul but subsequently changed to a Jesuit school. Since 1961, it has been the headquarters of the Economic Society.

82. Outside, the city's architecture was not particularly interesting. But then, most tourists head straight to the beach anyway.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

91. The Catedral is a Renaissance structure that towers above Malaga. Built on the site of the city's main mosque during the Muslim occupation, it is still unfinished as it is missing part of its facade and the south tower.

101. The admission charge was worth the money. The interiors are simply decorated; the lack of colours is compensated by the impressiveness of the vast space.

Old February 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

121. The Alcazaba sits along a hillside overlooking the city and the sea. Dating from the 11th century, it is a combination of palace and fortress.

129. It was the middle of the day, with the sun at full blast. Although there was a cool sea breeze, the sun's rays proved too strong for visitors to explore out in the open.

132. The ascent is very walkable, with well-defined paths and steps that gradually rose above the city.

137. There were a lot of water features around the site. Wonder how they could pump all this water uphill back in the old days?

143. The palace is landscaped with gardens, irrigation features, and shaded by trees. Despite the intense sun, it would still be comfortable to sit down in the shade to enjoy a drink and a book.

146. This water feature snakes along the steps heading downhill.

147. The views are quite good. The ocean looked very blue and clean.

153. The facility is built along the hillside with a wide view of the ocean and the land.

161. The Islamic elements are evident. However, many of the building interiors have not withstood the test of time. Little is left of the intricate carvings.

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1741

Great pics! i love that kind of old architecture with plants and water that keeps the air cool despite the sun
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote