daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM   #21
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Roundabouts are safer and can offer a better traffic flow if volumes are not too high. Roundabouts on long-distance roads outside urban areas are annoying though, because no matter if there is cross traffic, you always have to slow down to a crawl. The Netherlands has way too many roundabouts on non-urban provincial roads. It can take a truck up to 800 meters to recover to 80 km/h from a roundabout, so if there are a lot of them, you are screwed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:43 PM   #22
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In Figueira da Foz (~40 000) there are 2 functioning traffic-lighted junctions, with another two where they're always turned off now. There are a few more pedestrian crossings with traffic lights in along the seafront though.

In the council of Figueira (~60 000) (165.5km2) has maybe 6-7 functioning traffic lighted junctions including the 2 in the town.

There are many more traffic lights in the council outside the town though, to slow traffic down, but they don't really count.

===

In London there are 'more than 6 000' traffic lights, but I think thats individual sets because another source states that there are 300 traffic lighted junctions in London
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:16 AM   #23
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

According to the NYCDOT website, New York City has "12,460 intersections with traffic signals citywide, including 2,820 in Manhattan, 1,605 in the Bronx, 4,371 in Brooklyn, 3,119 in Queens and 545 in Staten Island."
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM   #24
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands (pop. 52.980):
Traffic lights: 22
Roundabouts: 7

Halsteren, Netherlands (pop. ~ 12.500):
Traffic lights: 1 inside the town and 2 just outside of Halsteren. and by 'just' I mean 50 meters and 200 meters.
Roundabouts: 4

The entire island of Texel: (pop. ~ 13.000)
Traffic lights: 2: They work together and are near the ferry to help people merge from 4 lanes to 1 with a nearby junction
Roundabouts: 4
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

The Netherlands

Winterswijk a village at the German border (30.000 inhabitants) doesn't have traffic lights.

Sum towns near Winterswijk doesn't have any traffic lights aswel.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:07 AM   #26
NorthWesternGuy
Yes, I do.

Likes (Received): 588

No idea, time to take a look at Google Earth
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #27
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post

In London there are 'more than 6 000' traffic lights, but I think thats individual sets because another source states that there are 300 traffic lighted junctions in London
I'd put the figure at 6,000. The UK, which I think invented the modern roundabout has now come to the belief that traffic lights are a solution for most junctions. But really it isn't. They are used as a sticking plaster solution at busy motorway junctions with other high capacity routes that really need the kind of treatment used on the M50 in Ireland (i.e. free-flow grade separation).

The M60 Simister Island (I prefer to call it Sinister Island) is a good example of that kind of approach - its a stacked roundabout which defies motorway rules by interruptiong the flow continuity on the M60. It was only improved in anticipation of the M60 completion by squeezing narrow lanes into the existing roundabout, adding a few filter lanes and hoping for the best.

In more suburban situations, traffic lights are being planted at junctions - the idea being that they give traffic a fighting chance to emerge from side roads. Great in theory but in practice engineers have only allowed woefully short green phases on the main road whilst giving what feels like an eternal green phase on the side road. The result - a relatively quiet smoth running main route turned into a congested one. Quite often a lot of these junctions would work much better with a roundabout, or are maybe best just left alone as a normal T-junction. Cynically I think this is somethimes done to make a route less attractive for traffic to use.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #28
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A problem with traffic lights at side roads is that they often give equal priority to both flows. However, the traffic load is usually more like 95% through and 5% side street, creating a lot of traffic stopping.

An annoying issue in the Netherlands is a lack of green waves due to bus and bicycle priority, and short green phases, which means you often only can drive through the intersection if you stopped there, which effectively means you often have to stop at nearly all intersections. They do this to keep the overall cycle short for all directions, but is annoying if there is a lot of through traffic.

Another issue in the Netherlands (compared to Belgium or Germany) is that grade-separating in cities is quite rare, such as dive-unders or flyovers. As a matter of fact it's even against the official guidelines to connect a non-motorway with a motorway by a free-flowing junction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #29
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A problem with traffic lights at side roads is that they often give equal priority to both flows.
This is heavily subject to the implementation.

In my neigbourhood, most of the traffic lights are traffic flow controlled. If there is no traffic on the side road, constant green is given to main road. If there is less demand on the side road, the lights might follow the 5-20-5-20 cars rhytm. Anyway, the cycle duration is usually limited to 90 seconds in order to prevent from excessive waiting times from occurring.

During the night, the traffic lights are either off, or showing red to every direction. If a vehicle approaches from any direction, the lights turn green without delays before reaching them.

Other optimization tricks exist. For example, if there are no pedestrians waiting, the pedestrian phase can be skipped, which increases the throughput. At the T-shaped intersections, the left-turning traffic may have two lanes, thus making it possible to shorten the respective phase.

Of course, in the heavily congested areas, the traffic lights cannot increase the throughput. In those areas, the main reason to set up the traffic lights is to give some chance for the traffic on the side roads to enter the intersections.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #30
i15

Likes (Received): 609

Kosice, Slovakia, 239 000 inhabitants: approximately 43 intersections with traffic lights (those for pedestrians only are not included).
i15 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #31
NorthWesternGuy
Yes, I do.

Likes (Received): 588

Mexicali, BC, Mexico:

Population: 689,000
Intersections with traffic lights: 173 approximately.
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #32
vladanng

Likes (Received): 837

around 540 intersections in Belgrade with traffic lights. population of urban area 1,2 and metro area 1,65 milion
vladanng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #33
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 385

Casablanca Morocco I have no clue I would love to know , there are so many intersections so I guessing 1000 traffic lights in the metro region ???
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #34
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Busto Arsizio - 82.000 inhabitants - 51 intersection with traffic lights

Here you are their locations:

[IMG]http://i41.************/14wzwqv.png[/IMG]

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #35
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

that's really unusual for Italian city to have that many (and that dense) intersections with traffic lights
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #36
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
that's really unusual for Italian city to have that many (and that dense) intersections with traffic lights
But that city is close to malpensa airport and has many depots/warehouses and other industrial/office locations
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #37
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But that city is close to malpensa airport and has many depots/warehouses and other industrial/office locations
ok that, but i have noticed that Italian cities generally don't have many traffic lights, especially middle sized or smaller
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #38
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Exactly!

BTW, years ago there were 4 more traffic lights that have been substituted by roundabouts.

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote