SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Portland Green Student Village (and Office Development) | Newcastle | Various | U/C

61K views 211 replies 30 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 ·
#3 ·
portland green looks really good, like a proper city extension with blocks and streets. New Bridge street is pretty poor and, more importantly, will be knocking down some nice Georgian houses.
Agreed about that - whilst a lot of student accommodation is bland and generic stuff its a shame that some nice buildings have to be knocked down

Portland Green looks good - should make that area of the city vibrant

#6 ·
Hello all.

This is my first post here - I cam across this forum earlier today and decided to join as it has some wonderful information and photographs of Newcastle 'as it was'. Please feel free to move my post to a more suitable thread of this is not the correct place for it. I posted here because I have an interest in the site which is to become 'Portland Green' - I would like to ask if anyone has any photogrpahs of the site when it was in it's former industrial use - here's a bit of background on it:

The site was a former paint factory from around 1928, and the company changed it's name to British Paints Ltd from 1940 as a patriotic gesture. The large building which stood opposite there and which was used as offices and production facilities still remains today as student accomodation. An additional building sits adjoined to it, named Portman House. This was used as the research laboratories. The larger factory site (upon which is now being built) was constructed in 1930. (As an aside, in 1950, the high demand for resins from the factory for paint production resulted in British Paints forming an offshoot company in Dunston called Resinous Chemicals Ltd to meet this demand).

The company were subsequently purchased by the Berger Group in 1969, the factory was then known as Berger Paints, and by the early to mid 1980's paint production had ceased at the Portland Road site. I do not know when the factory site was demolished, though a planning application was submitted for the conversion of the offices in late 1984 to convert the building into flats. This was granted and although some work was undertaken, the building was left in an uncompleted state until 1993 when Northumbria University purchased it for conversion into student halls.

Apologies if I seem to have gone on a bit there! As you can see, I have a great interest in this site (partly because I live in Newcastle, and partly because I am an ex-painter). So, if anyone has any photos or further information on the site when it was actually in use as a paint factory (particularly though not exclusively, from 1969 onwards), I would be interested to see it.

Kind regards,

FP

#7 ·
Welome to SSC!

Yes, I agree, this is a fascinatng site! Not just of historic record but also of future plans and aspirations.

The former Berger Paint site has been significant to me too, for 40 years, in one way or another!
The large building which stood opposite there and which was used as offices and production facilities still remains today as student accomodation.
Berger's large 4-sided square-faced clock on the top is also still there - it had been a reliable means of telling the time from as far away as the Gateshead hills up to Deckham and Low Fell in the 70's and 80's. Not so reliable now, sadly.

I do not know when the factory site was demolished,
As I've passed it several times on most days for the past 25 years, you'd think I might know . . . but I simply can't recall when. But no! I can only guess that it was demolished in the mid-90's.

If no-one else on here can recall - and someone probably will, then I think one or two of the Board members of the Ouseburn Trust with specific interest in recent Heritage will know, or the regen officer in the Ouseburn Regeneration Team (in the new Boathouse) will remember, or more specifically, have access to relevant records.
There's also a couple of people working in the Economic Bussiness Support Co in Portland House who, personally, have local history knowledge, so they might know.
[I'm sorry, but it would be inappropriate to post people's names on here - perhaps you could PM me sometime in the future if you still need some pointers?]

The person leading the Metnor development of the substantive part of the Student Village development on the site (Portland Green) has re-located to London and the company is not intending to develop that project at present.

Matnor are, however, in the process of preparing the land on that and the adjoining plot (former motor retail uses) by clearing the remaing rubble and applying a surface layer of hardcore. The site remains subject to "contamination" constraints and is regularly the site of anti-social behaviour and minor crime.

#8 ·
Portland Green

A rep from METNOR has advised today that they do still intend to build student accomodation on Portland Green, but, that they would do so in stages, first completing the former Winn Products site (382 beds) which is scheduled for summer 2011, then developing the bigger site at Stoddart Street/Portland Road (1933 beds in total) in four or five stages, completing each stage before constructing the next.

So this could take years to finish (by which time, will the demand for university accomodation be as our current estimates?)

It appears to me that these developments not lend themselves to conversion to residential or hotel accomodation, due to several structural committments (Lack of building-wide heating/air-con, Single lift shaft, small reception, lack of parking and no basement).

#9 ·
I see this Planning Applikcation has been granted conditionally @ http://planningapplications.newcast...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LJJOEUBS0DL00

2011/0519/01/DET | Erection of 8 storey block of student accommodation (275 beds) incorporating 1 x Class A1 retail unit and 1 x Class A1 - retail / A3 - restaurant/cafe unit to ground floor and associated bin, cycle storage, plant, car parking (18 spaces), highway works and landscaping | Land To The East Of Stoddart Street And Portland Road And West Of The City Stadium Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear

APPLICANT: Metnor Property Group

#11 ·
Not sure if this has already been reported but work has begun on land next to the Total garage in Shieldfield, used to be the paint factory and old car dealership. Part of the back lane that runs from Stepney Bank towards Portland Road has also been blocked off.

#13 ·
Is this one of the planned 'Student Accommodation' buildings?
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=KBNU1WBS00900

2009/0046/01/DET | Erection of 4 blocks of student accommodation (973 beds) incorporating retail (Class A1), professional/financial services (Class A2), café/restaurant (Class A3), health centre (Class D1), management suite and café/bar (Class A3/A4), and erection of office building (Class B1) with associated car parking, hard and soft landscaping and associated highway works. Outline Application: Erection of 5 blocks of student accommodation (960 beds) incorporating retail (Class A1), professional and financial services (Class A2), café/restaurant (Class A3) and energy centre and decked car park as amended by plans and Design and Access Statement received 04.03.2009 and 09.03.2009. | Land To The East Of Stoddart Street And Portland Road And West Of The City Stadium Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear

#14 ·
Not sure if this has already been reported but work has begun on land next to the Total garage in Shieldfield, used to be the paint factory and old car dealership. Part of the back lane that runs from Stepney Bank towards Portland Road has also been blocked off.
Went past last night walking the dog and I'm not too sure if this is actually the student flats being started or offices.

Also, previously someone mentioned that Henderson Hall is being shut down. Still haven't heard anything about this, but Richardson Road (Ricky Road to students) is being flattened and replaced. There was an article in The Courier campus newspaper but I've chucked it out unfortunately.

#15 ·
New office Block near junction of Stoddart St/Portland Rd/ Warwick St, Shieldfield area, Newcastle upon Tyne

Work has recently commenced on new office block development on land near junction of Stoddart St/Portland Rd/ Warwick St, Newcastle upon Tyne (west of City Stadium)

These are photographs by myself taken 31/01/12 (hosted on Photobucket) taken when passing through area, showing current state of work in respect of site clearance, boundary fences etc by Main Contractor, Metnor

Not sure of which development on Newcastle City Planning portal this contract is - so many over recent times in this area but signboard calls it "Portland Green"

KEN

#16 ·
^^

We have a "Portland Green" listed as 'Project 14' on the Development Summary, as follows . . .

14. Portland Green Student Accommodation | Newcastle | Approved | Covered on the Student Accommodation thread

It does not have its own 'Project Thread' but is being followed on the 'Student Accommodation - Developments' thread, here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981388

So has this project, does anyone know, now changed to become an office development, or is it still student accommodation - or perhaps a combination of the two?

#17 ·
Work has recently commenced on new office block development on land near junction of Stoddart St/Portland Rd/ Warwick St, Newcastle upon Tyne (west of City Stadium)

Not sure of which development on Newcastle City Planning portal this contract is - so many over recent times in this area but signboard calls it "Portland Green"

KEN
2009/0046/01/DET | Erection of 4 blocks of student accommodation (973 beds) incorporating retail (Class A1), professional/financial services (Class A2), café/restaurant (Class A3), health centre (Class D1), management suite and café/bar (Class A3/A4), and erection of office building (Class B1) with associated car parking, hard and soft landscaping and associated highway works. Outline Application: Erection of 5 blocks of student accommodation (960 beds) incorporating retail (Class A1), professional and financial services (Class A2), café/restaurant (Class A3) and energy centre and decked car park as amended by plans and Design and Access Statement received 04.03.2009 and 09.03.2009. | Land To The East Of Stoddart Street And Portland Road And West Of The City Stadium Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=KBNU1WBS00900

#18 ·
So has this project, does anyone know, now changed to become an office development, or is it still student accommodation - or perhaps a combination of the two?
As far as I'm aware, the land in the foreground which used to be a car showroom and storage area will be the offices, whilst the student accommodation will be further back where the old paint factory was.

Even though this is now getting built there are quite a few empty office blocks within a short walk down towards the Quayside and into the City Centre. Not entirely sure why they have started building if it will only end up being left empty.

#19 ·
As far as I'm aware, the land in the foreground which used to be a car showroom and storage area will be the offices, whilst the student accommodation will be further back where the old paint factory was.

Even though this is now getting built there are quite a few empty office blocks within a short walk down towards the Quayside and into the City Centre. Not entirely sure why they have started building if it will only end up being left empty.

This seems to be quite a large development, and includes offices as well as student accommodation.

Does anyone think it should have it's own thread, so we can follow it in detail?

#24 ·
Portland Green Development - Shieldfield

Was passing this site 09/03/12 AM so took the following photographs (hosted on Photobucket) - perimeter trees make it difficult to picture site from north and east sides and once covered in leaf will be impossible but there are a few viewing windows in the boarded fence to the west levation

Piling work in progress to block nearest to Stoddart Street

Site clearance work being undertaken by Thompsons of Prudhoe to area east of Portland Road/ west of City Stadium - using some of their bigger "Tonka Trucks"

KEN

#25 ·
Portland Green Development - Shieldfield as at 13/05/12

Tthe following photographs 13/05/12 approx 1100 (hosted on Photobucket) - perimeter trees make it difficult to picture site from north and east sides and once covered in leaf will be impossible but there are a few viewing windows in the boarded fence to the west elevation (some of following pictures through sheeting)

A lot of foundation work in place to block nearest to Stoddart Street and first elements of steel structure has been erected , with other members in vicinity awaiting incorporationinto the works

Good opportunity in next few weeks for photographs to be taken by those regularly passing the site

KEN

#26 ·
Portland Green Development - Shieldfield as at 04/06/12

The following photographs 04/06/12 (hosted on Photobucket) - perimeter trees make it difficult to picture site from north and east sides but there are a few viewing windows in the boarded fence to the west elevation

A lot of foundation work in place to block nearest to Stoddart Street and a great deal of steelwork elements of steel structure have been erected in last 3 weeks, with some other members in vicinity awaiting incorporation into the works

KEN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.