daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Φωτογραφίες και Πολιτισμός | Photography and Culture > Φωτογραφίες Ελλάδος και Κύπρου | Photos of Greece & Cyprus

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 821

Believe it or not this is in Greece: Mount Parnassos skiing and hand gliding

Located about 2 hours north of Athens, Mount Parnassos is Greece's second highest mountain after Mount Olympus. It is home to countless villages, Delphi, and ski towns.

LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #2
ydrohoos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

wow...

poly oreos o Parnassos
ydrohoos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 17

Nice views!!! Now, tell me one thing: what made you bring snow to the thread? Don't you think we should be looking at beaches and nude babes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and
, too.

Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #4
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-NC
Nice views!!! Now, tell me one thing: what made you bring snow to the thread? Don't you think we should be looking at beaches and nude babes?

Haha! You are right! You actually gave me a good idea! Maybe that will be my next project: Nude babes of the Greek beaches!!! I bet you that will get a lot of hits, eh?

However, the reason I posted the Parnassos pics is because every time I go to visit my grandparents there, the mountain always amazes me. It looks like I have temporarily stepped into a Swiss valley or Banff (Rocky Mountains) in Alberta, Canada. Believe it or not, the summit of the mountain and some other peaks still had some snow on them when I was there in July even though the temperature on the ground was pushing close to 100 F degrees!

Anyway, take care!

On to my next project!
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #5
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 8

Great pictures but I goota make you a little correction, despite Parnassos is a very high and impresive mountain, actually it is not the second highest mountain in Greece, it doesn't even gets the 10th position!!!

The second highest mountain is in Epirus and its name is Smolikas, and is located some 500 kms from Athens.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #6
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis
Great pictures but I goota make you a little correction, despite Parnassos is a very high and impresive mountain, actually it is not the second highest mountain in Greece, it doesn't even gets the 10th position!!!

The second highest mountain is in Epirus and its name is Smolikas, and is located some 500 kms from Athens.

I stand corrected my friend. But Parnassos is not as low as 10th as you say

I always was told by the locals that Parnassos was the 2nd highest! Shows you how much they know! They are probably being biased! Whatever the height, it is very large.

Thanks for the correction!

Here is a list of the highest mountains in Greece:

Mountains of Greece

Name Geographical Region Height (metres)

1)Olympos Macedonia 2.904
2)Smolikas Macedonia 2.631
3)Grammos Macedonia 2.521
4)Voras Macedonia 2.519
5)Giona Sterea Hellas 2.507
6)Tymfi (Gamila) Epirus 2.499
7)Parnassos Sterea Hellas 2.455
8)Idi (Psiloritis) Crete 2.454
9)Lefka Ori Crete 2.454
10)Athamanon Ori Epirus 2.429
11)Vardoussia Sterea Hellas 2.413
12)Taygetos Peloponesse 2.404
13)Kyllini Peloponesse 2.374
14)AroaniaPeloponesse 2.338
15)Varnous Macedonia 2.329
16)Tymfristos Sterea Hellas 2.312
17)Lakmos Epirus 2.294
18)Pindos (Ligos) Epirus 2.249

Last edited by LEAFS FANATIC; August 19th, 2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #7
GrigorisSokratis

Hi there's an error in that list maybe it happened while the designer typed it.

Olympos Oros is not 2,904 mts. There are different stated heights but never seen that one.

The most popular is the 2,919 coming second the 2,925 one. As for the 90's it was used to show in the GNTO maps the 2,917 metres one. There are also less common versions which show a height as high as 2,985 metres.

Anyway it depends on the climber's data. It's impossible that all of them will register the same altitude when reaching the summit.

I have to check out in my earth globe DEM data how many it shows, but I would bet it's the 2,925 or even the 2,985 one; I gotta check it out.

Finally usually the Leyka Ori of Crete appear in the maps to have 2,456 metres.

Whatever it's 7th, 8th, or 10th it doesn't matters it isn't for sure the second one; thus we can see how urban myths (or in this case villages myth) can deliver such confussions to our minds to the point that we believe them and no one can convince us of their fake nature.

Nice pictures though, the place is great and I love it, I hope someday a world class ski centre be built in there to show the world that ours are among the best mountain on earth, specially for those kinda sports.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #8
GrigorisSokratis

Beautiful Alpine Greece

Here you are some images from different places in Central and Northern Greece; where the Dynaric Alps pass by; as well as a few ones from the Rodopi range in Thrace, at North East Greece.

All these images are from http://www.astraka.net

Evritania (Central Greece) 300kms NW of Athens and 400 SW of Thessaloniki

Gamila in Epirus (NW Greece) some 500 kms NW of Athens and 400km W of Thessaloniki

Valiakalda

Tzumerka some 400km NW of Athens

Avgo

(in these places the Bear is the king!! just look at its footsteps)

Marosa

Peristeri in Epirus

Platamonas (400kms N from Athens 100kms S from Thessaloniki)

Rodopi, a mountain range of 300km long located in Eastern Macedonia and Thrace at NE Greece at a distance from Athens which spans from the 700 kms to the 1000kms and a distance from Thessaloniki which spans around the 200-500 kms

Here you may find centenary if not millenary mystic woods.

Giona in Central Greece some 250 kms from Athens

Prespes Lakes in Western Macedonia some 600kms NW from Athens and 200 W of Thessaloniki.

Gelidona

Pilion in Thessaly, the Mystic lands of the Centaurus located some 350kms N of Athens and 150kms S of Thessaloniki

Karitena

Vardousia in Central Greece

Kefallonia

Vouraikos in Peloponessus 220 kms W from Athens 700km SW of Thessaloniki

All these images are from http://www.astraka.net

I hope you've enjoyed this less known face of Greece.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #9
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 867

Best photos of Greece ever!
Nobody would think Greece has this landscape!

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius

chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Prometheus
A pimp named Slickback

Very good photos and a very good topic.

Yes, this image of Greece is not one that many outsiders know and see. It's a shame too, because no matter how beautiful the Aegean islands are, Greece is not only them.

The Greek National Tourist Organization is saying they wish to increase winter and fall tourism to Greece, and as we can all see, there is much on offer in terms of landscape. Only the infrastructure for off-season tourism needs to improve. This will mean a more substainable level of visitors for Greece and an injection of much needed monies.
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #11
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 285

very beautiful landscapes, one think, we all now that Greece have thys landscapes and we all now that Olimpo is the biggest mountain in Greece too!!
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 17

Absolutely breathtaking views. Hard to believe this is Greece!!! Thanks for sharing these photos with us

Visit
on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and
, too.

Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #13
Christos7

Likes (Received): 1

AMAZING!!!
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #14
GrigorisSokratis

And this is nothing yet, Greece has much more to show us!!! Our nation is so variated and rich in nature you won't believe your eyes.
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #15
crazyeight
21st century destination

That's it!! thanks for these stunning photos!!! Now i can confirm that Greece is the most beautiuful country in the world
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #16
Sarajka

Likes (Received): 4

^ After Bosnia, of course.

But wow! My impression of Greece has changed so much in the last week!

Great photos!
Sarajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #17
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 285

Greece change in the lost week Sarajka?
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #18
Christos7

As much as I love the beach, and the nice weather, the open sea, the island and everything that comes with it, I have always felt like I would love it more to be in a place like that, full of trees in a valley with big mountains, and a cottage on a hill with a creek running through. You know, I have some cousins who have a cottage in Epirus that they go to every once in a while, maybe I should tag along with them some time and experience it. I tell you what, I wouldn't mind sharing time in northern Greece and then the rest on an island, the best of both worlds.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #19
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Oh my god! This is the most amazing thread EVER!

Magnificent Photo's!

Greece is the most beutiful country in the world IMO. You can find anything you want in this little country(except skyscrapers ).
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #20
ydrohoos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hellas...
ydrohoos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: