daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 591

Morrison Foodstore | Hagley Road | Five Ways | Completed

Work starts on Morrisons scheme at Five Ways

Morrisons, Five Ways

CONSTRUCTION work is underway to develop a new 50,000 sq ft Morrisons store at Five Ways, Birmingham, which is due to open before Christmas.

The scheme will include three levels of car parking providing 330 spaces. It will also include five additional retail units for let and office accommodation.

Morrisons has commenced the works following the acquisition of the site from Calthorpe Estates, planning permission having been granted by Birmingham City Council in March last year.

The store will be one of the supermarket group’s flagship stores.

David Darbyshire, project manager for Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC Stores, said: “Five Ways is at the gateway of one of Birmingham City Centre’s main arterial commuter routes and close to Harborne, Edgbaston and city centre homes and businesses. It is an ideal location to position one of our new format stores.”

Birmingham-based architect Davis Weatherill Partnership has designed the store.
Stephen Davis, partner at Davis Weatherill, said: “The old Edgbaston Shopping Centre reached the end of its useful life and this new development will be an attractive shopping destination ideally located for commuters and people living and working in the area.”

ISG, the appointed contractor, will employ more than 300 construction workers to build the supermarket.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...-_Daily_E-mail

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

London, New York, Paris, Tokyo, Berlin, Dubai, Sydney ... eat your heart out!!
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 588

Truly shocking!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
woodhousen

the faact that everyone publicly involved in the project are so chuffed!!!! grrrrr!
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I have no problem of the store as it's only a Morissons!

Just peeved it was such a great opportunity for something terrific and they blew it.

Big City Plan was made a mockery when they let this prime development space house "this".
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6
woodhousen

no no i agree... as a store goes its fine... but its nothing special... its a supermarket... so will the developers/architects stop banging on how this is an amazing scheme for this prominant gateway site... it clearly isnt!
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
flange

Likes (Received): 2858

Letting brochure online for the other shop units here.

http://www.shopproperty.co.uk/Pdf/40...db8a8ea354ef68
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
build_higher

Likes (Received): 45

This really is a truly shocking effort. I really can't see it ageing well at all...in fact the renders already make it look out of date. It does nothing to enhance the area & it doesn't relate well to a singe building that surrounds the site & the green section in the renders just looks cheap & nauseating.

I've also just noticed in the first picture that there is a pedestrian crossing accross Hagley Road. Is this part of the application or just wishful thinking on the developers part? I know Brum is getting rid of its subways but I really can't see a crossing being installed here...
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1267

come on now, where is the usual birmingham "better than an empty site for years" attitude!

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 515

haha!

But yeah I whole heartedly agree with f&n. This development truly is a disaster for the area.. You might as well have stuck pink and blue strip neons on all corners of the Marriot and a laser light show to top it all off. No cohesion between this and the Marriott at all. At the very least they could have changed the cladding materials and got rid of that great green blob. Such a blot.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 180

This is absolutely criminal. Whichever gobshite allowed this to go ahead should be hanged in victoria square, and I really mean that.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 6121

You know what the worse thing is, half of the site just just car park, which means they could have easily had the store, with an underground car park, and build at least a 10 storey office block next door, there would have been more than enough space.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #13
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

They should just turn the area into a park until a worthy scheme comes along in better times.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #14
woodhousen

i just find it heartbreaking that as a consequence of a recession, the developer has now sterilised this prime gateway site for the next 20-30 years...
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1881

When did this go to planning? I hope they got an amazing S106.

Is this on Calthorpe Estates land?
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #16
build_higher

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
i just find it heartbreaking that as a consequence of a recession, the developer has now sterilised this prime gateway site for the next 20-30 years...
I can't agree more. It's such a shame they didn't consider the original Edgbaston Galleries a bit more when they were coming up with the plans for this. The 2 ideas could have married together well with underground parking, supermarket above & then easily enough room for a Marriott extension as well as office space & a residential section, all packaged into one nice shiny new building.

I don't know what the current developers were smoking when they decided that this design is a landmark gateway building but I wouldn't mind giving it a go. The world seems to be a very pretty place when you're that deluded...
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
When did this go to planning? I hope they got an amazing S106.

Is this on Calthorpe Estates land?
This went in a while ago but has had various amendments to the design and the planning conditions. And yeah it's Calthorpe Estates' land.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #18
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 63

Its not thaaaat bad.
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #19
15AVFC

Likes (Received): 0

LMAO!!!

I think you all need to get over this. It's desolate waste ground and now something is being constructed. If we are struggling to find investors, tenants, etc. to back schemes in our CBD (Snow Hill), what are the chances of a serious office or residential development here?
15AVFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #20
GAZ

Likes (Received): 16

I am not a negative person, i never really moan, but i have to make an exception here,,..

It is a disgrace......what a great opportunity for an amazing gateway into Bham, but now they build a supermarket. If Brum wants to ever make progress and be taken seriously, then things like this would not happen!

The Marriot is supposed to be the best hotel in Brum, and you will look out and see the roof of a big Morrisons. That would never happen in London....

and before any of you come on here and say "there isnt any funding to build big scyscraper developments", i know that, but i am just voicing my disgust. Whoever gave this planning permission needs to be taken by their collar and shaken.....big city plan my arse.

goodnight
GAZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: