daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #221
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

the street names reverted to their original Polish names, don't forget Gdansk was Polish for about 800 of the last 1,000 years, give or take a few decades. It was Poland's richest city too, from where all of the wealth of the hinterland of the Polish-Lithuanian commwealth was exported. Of course the German influence was there too through trade via the Hanseatic League.

nice job finding this old map beauty

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #222
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post
I was wondering how the Polish or the Gdansk local government changed the names of the streets after the war?
Gdansk has been an German and independent city before it became Polish, in historical maps like this one the street names are in German. Where the names literally translated into Polish? What happened to the street names which where named after Germans? Was there much influence of communism on street renaming?
Not the local governments changed the names after the war but a commission which was solely created to change the names in all former German territories. Only names with no German connotation were translated literally ("church street" for example). If a street was named after a German person, like a king or an artist, very often a Polish equivalent was used. If a street led to a German town and was named after this town (like Greifwald road in Stettin/Szczecin) then the town name was dropped.
The Commies based their claim on these former German territories on the fact that these regions were Polish once, which led to countless references to these times also in street names (Piasts in Silesia for example).
After 1989 most Commie references werde dropped, not however street names based, for example, on the Piast myth used by the Commies. And streets named after German locals are very rare to this day. I'm not sure for example if Gdansk named a street after Schopenhauer.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #223
StaryOliwianin
Cyklista i wegetarianin

Likes (Received): 4706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
the street names reverted to their original Polish names, don't forget Gdansk was Polish for about 800 of the last 1,000 years, give or take a few decades. It was Poland's richest city too, from where all of the wealth of the hinterland of the Polish-Lithuanian commwealth was exported. Of course the German influence was there too through trade via the Hanseatic League.

nice job finding this old map beauty
Don't forget Gdańsk for most of it's history was a German speaking city.

It was the biggest city of Poland for a long time, but here like in most cities of the era Polish was not the language of our cities. Even the capital city (Kraków) had it city council debating in German.

Therefore the old names existed both in German and Polish version (with the German one being the original ones) but everything named after Gdańsk/Danzig was taken over by Prussia in 1792 (BTW which was very unpopular at the time among its German speaking population) was German only. On the other hand most of the neighboring villages had Slavic names in germanized versions (like the city name itself).

Per communist names. Some streets were named after various communist "heroes" (sometimes ones that tried to sabotage Polish war effort against Soviet Russia in 1920 or secret police officers killed while "pacifying" a docker strike in 1946). Luckily the communist mostly left alone the old street names in the historical center of the city. They preferred big streets leading out of the center.

Some of the names were changed to more neutral already when Stalinism ended in 1956 (including the Stalin Street obligatory in every communist ruled city). The rest was changed after 1989. In the case of the secret police guy the name is now Docker Strike St.
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #224
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Worth watching...

Before WW2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKcGG...f=results_main

1944-1945: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu77s...eature=related

Now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=094YoJWj22I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gTB...eature=related

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; March 7th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #225
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaryOliwianin View Post
Don't forget Gdańsk for most of it's history was a German speaking city.

It was the biggest city of Poland for a long time, but here like in most cities of the era Polish was not the language of our cities. Even the capital city (Kraków) had it city council debating in German.
Surely this was not the case in Warsaw when the capital was moved there. The Sejm conducted business in Polish, but did Warsaw city council likewise conduct business in German and was German the lingua franca of Warsaw as well. Fascinating...so our elites (slachta) spoke French, the peasants spoke Polish while the language of business and trade in the cities was German. were most of the urban dwellers ethnically German or just German influenced because of extensive trade links with Germanic peoples, Holland etc? And did not Polish eventually supercede German towards the end of the commonealth era in the late 1790's?

This was the opposite I believe in cities like Lwow/Lviv or Wilno/Vilnius where the peasantry/rural peoples was Ukrainian and Lithuanian respectively while urban dwellers were Polish and spoke Polish or did they speak German in these areas too.

Old March 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #226
Jakobhorner

Likes (Received):

One thing - Szlachta or rather rich Szlachta (in XVIII, XIX, and early XX) spoke Franch as we do speak english, but rather not during weekly chitchats.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #227
Mr. America
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
N If a street led to a German town and was named after this town (like Greifwald road in Stettin/Szczecin) then the town name was dropped.
Not always, for example in Elbing is ul. Królewiecka (Koenigsberger Strasse, like before war). But unfortunatly sometimes changes were really ridiculous - like Berliner Strasse in Elbing, which is now ul. Warszawska (Warschauer Strasse) or - pre-war Berliner Strasse in Breslau, now changed to... ul. Braniborska (Branderburger Strasse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
I'm not sure for example if Gdansk named a street after Schopenhauer.
There is Schopenhauer Street in Gdańsk (Oliva district), but it is very small. Sad After 1989 some streets was named after Germans, which were meritorious for the cities, but unfortunatly there are usually small (like mentioned Schopenhauer Street in Danzig), or very far from the city center (like Haken Roundabout in Stettin).

Last edited by Mr. America; March 8th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Mr. America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #228
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Fascinating...so our elites (slachta) spoke French, the peasants spoke Polish while the language of business and trade in the cities was German.
wtf?? I shed a tear.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #229
StaryOliwianin
Cyklista i wegetarianin

Likes (Received): 4706

Quote:
Surely this was not the case in Warsaw when the capital was moved there.
Yes, but Warsaw was a political project The Sejm (Parliament) was moved to Warsaw "for the convenience of Lithuanian gentry" as Kraków was too far for them. Because the Sejm was so important in Poland of era, the court followed soon (around AD 1600). Warsaw became the de facto capital city long before it was the official one (this situation continued for 200 years to the very moment Poland was finally partitioned by its neighbors in 1795).
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #230
RS_UK-PL

Please vote: http://www.new7wonders.com/cities/en

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #231
RS_UK-PL

There is still so much land in the Srodmiescie (City Center) area unused including part of the Old Town, Granary Island, Sienna Grobla, Dlugie Ogrody, Knipawa...

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; March 9th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #232
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

The third picture shows some excavation? What's the story here.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #233
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

ow thats sad :'(
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #234
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Isn't that where the WWII Museum is going. The construction has already been tendered (foundation that is)

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #235
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Długie Ogrody Street (Ulica Długie Ogrody)

Before WW2

Now

That modernist building is a nightmare... however the church looks beautiful... I admire the perseverance of the people of Gadnsk when it comes to reclaiming their culture.
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #236
Gjede

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Isn't that where the WWII Museum is going. The construction has already been tendered (foundation that is)
MIIWŚ is going to be built where the red circle is located. The third picture uploaded by RS_UK-PL is shown by the green circle (yes, this is some excavation, but as you can see nothing happens there), and the fourth picture is the white circle

Gjede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:51 AM   #237
Sienioslaw
grumpy slav

Likes (Received): 156

Time for update, but there will be no pictures/comparisons this time, but I have good info, google street view at last in Poland! so you can virtually visit cities(especially old towns districsts) like Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, Wroclaw and of course Gdansk
http://maps.google.pl/?ll=54.349991,...,111.32,,0,1.1

have a good time
Sienioslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #238
Rombi

Likes (Received): 304

Great! I can't wait when whole cities gonna be virtually available.
Bo właśnie w podróży, rano, w obcym mieście, zanim druga kawa zacznie działać, doświadcza się najmocniej dziwności własnego, pozornie banalnego bytu. Podróż jest po prostu stosunkowo zdrowym rodzajem narkotyku.
Andrzej Stasiuk
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #239
Aachener Mädelstraße

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
What on earth makes them fake?

A city was destroyed, and her people rebuilt the city's beauty. It was theirs to rebuild, and they did. If you had such a glorious architectural heritage you wouldn't just give it away, would you?

Just because it was knocked down doesn't mean it can't be put back up.
Bollocks. Some 95% of 'her people' were expelled and deported because they were Germans. Danzig was rebuild by Poles, not by the Germans who inhabited the city until 1945.

(Just for the record, I don't defend any Nazi policies. They deported other ethnic groups themselves. I'm just saying that what you're stating is false. The ethnic germans who lived there for generations were deported with more than 250.000)
Aachener Mädelstraße no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #240
seba65536

Likes (Received): 3255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienioslaw View Post
Time for update, but there will be no pictures/comparisons this time, but I have good info, google street view at last in Poland! so you can virtually visit cities(especially old towns districsts) like Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, Wroclaw and of course Gdansk
http://maps.google.pl/?ll=54.349991,...,111.32,,0,1.1

have a good time
Lublin, too, is in Google Street View. I especially recommend Old City district.

Lublin, Old City district
seba65536 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
gdańsk, gdansk