daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #581
leszekbombka
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

No East Prussians?
leszekbombka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #582
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
These evil Germans...
I think that, being the resident of ethnic West Slavic land of Lusatia*, you should know what we're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendish_Crusade

* which also had been part of Poland along the course of history, by the way (see the Polish-German War 1002-1018 and the Peace of Budziszyn 1018)
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #583
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
These evil Germans...
Partitions of Poland (started by Prussia, Austria & Russia), WW1 (started by Austria-Hungary, followed by Germany, military and civilian casualties in World War I was over 37 million), WW2 (started by Germany & Russia, 62-78 million casualties). Yes, in history Germans were evil...Looking at some posts, still are.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 12th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #584
ja.centy
BANNED

I'd say there's no need to generalise whole nations, however, whether we like it or not, the actions of country's authorities, as well as larger or smaller groups in the society, may influence the future image of entire nation.
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #585
StaryOliwianin
Cyklista i wegetarianin

Likes (Received): 4710

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
PS. Masurians - Polish settlers from Masovia who moved to Prussia especially during and after the Protestant Reformation
I would argue that most of them moved even earlier. Mazowsze (or Masovia, the region of Poland where Warsaw is, at the time an independent duchy) was an ally of the Teutonic Order. The order wanted their territories repopulated after exterminating most of the local pagan population. They invited settlers from Germany but also from the neighboring Masovia. Mazur meant actually an inhabitant of Masovia :-)

It is the irony of history that the overwhelmingly German order Poland and Lithuania were fighting for 200 years Polonized parts of East Prussia.
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #586
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
I think that, being the resident of ethnic West Slavic land of Lusatia*, you should know what we're talking about.
Yes. And you know what? The Slavic minority here still exists, after 1000 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL
Partitions of Poland (started by Prussia, Germany & Russia), WW1 (arguably started by Germany, military and civilian casualties in World War I was over 37 million), WW2 (started by Germany, 62-78 million casualties). Yes, in history Germans were evil...Looking at some posts, still are.
Yes, and some others are eternal victims.
The Masurians always voted for the most conservative German parties, almost 100% voted for Germany in the plebiscite, they voted for Hitler, they fled with the Germans in 1945, and they left Poland in the 50s and 60s. Not everything can be explained by anti-Polish politics by the Germans. Sometimes it's just the usual cultural assimilation.... the same thing that happened to Germans in Poland.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #587
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
The Masurians always voted for the most conservative German parties, almost 100% voted for Germany in the plebiscite, they voted for Hitler, they fled with the Germans in 1945, and they left Poland in the 50s and 60s. Not everything can be explained by anti-Polish politics by the Germans. Sometimes it's just the usual cultural assimilation.... the same thing that happened to Germans in Poland.
We wouldn't have a problem, if occupation and Germanization of Poland during partitions didn't happen.
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #588
ja.centy
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. And you know what? The Slavic minority here still exists, after 1000 years.
I know and that's impressive.

Quote:
Yes, and some others are eternal victims.
Like who?

Nah, Poles might be considered as victims just in the last 200 years (although we did stop Bolshevik deluge in 1920), however you could say that pretty much about all nations in Central-Eastern Europe, which were subject to either German, Austrian or Russian expansion in that period. And we certainly had experienced a bit of prosperity and some moments of glory before 18th century.

Last edited by ja.centy; August 11th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old August 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #589
RS_UK-PL

Before WW2

Now
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #590
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Partitions of Poland (started by Prussia, Austria & Russia), WW1 (arguably started by Germany, military and civilian casualties in World War I was over 37 million), WW2 (started by Germany & Russia, 62-78 million casualties). Yes, in history Germans were evil...Looking at some posts, still are.
WWI was arguably started by the assassins of the Austrian archduke and technically initiated by Austria. Everyone else then jumped in due to contractual obligations except for the late comers who did so for opportunistic (Italy and Turkey) or, as they saw it, (USA) moral reasons.

Germany did get nearly all the blame though.

As for Hitler, well... there's no excusing the things he did.

Last edited by Judge Roy Beam; August 12th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #591
RS_UK-PL

On 28 July 1914, the conflict opened with the Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia, followed by the German invasion of Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

Before WW2

Now
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM   #592
RS_UK-PL

Before WW2

Now
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:14 PM   #593
intervention
planning inaction

What's the pace of building renovations in Gdansk? I haven't been in a really long time, but many of the vernacular buildings (i.e. the one above, but to the right of the brick building) were left gray and purposeless (i.e. no mixed-use or doors to the street etc). Has there been any work on this?
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #594
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

restoration is mainly focussed along the Dlugi Targ and more touristy areas. their time will come.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #595
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

When I was in Gdansk I noticed some vacant lots in the central part of town, just across a bridge east of Long Market*. What used to be there and will it be restored (if it was of any historic significance)?

*Looking at Google Maps the street going past the vacant lots seems to be named Stagiewna.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #596
dzbu

Likes (Received): 2

You must be talking about the Granary Island. As the name implies, there used to be buildings there used to store grain. Correct me guys if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any plans in place to reconstruct them. Every once in a while the city comes up with a master plan for that particular part of town, but it doesn't loook like we're going to build a new quarter there any time soon. That's not to say there isn't any construction going on there at all, but it's usually relatively small projects in the part of the island that's further away from the Dlugi Targ street.
dzbu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #597
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Beautiful Gdansk

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #598
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzbu View Post
You must be talking about the Granary Island. As the name implies, there used to be buildings there used to store grain. Correct me guys if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any plans in place to reconstruct them. Every once in a while the city comes up with a master plan for that particular part of town, but it doesn't loook like we're going to build a new quarter there any time soon. That's not to say there isn't any construction going on there at all, but it's usually relatively small projects in the part of the island that's further away from the Dlugi Targ street.
Thanks for the info! The buildings on the south side of Stagiewna are actually restored or were never damaged, which is why I was so surprised to see a few abandonned lots with ruins just north of the road. Shame they aren't restoring them.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #599
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Teutonic castle Gdansk

Model of the castle
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #600
RS_UK-PL

Before WW2

Now