daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #861
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post
No Rychlik, because I am afraid we otherwise can see a replay from the "reconstruction" of Elblag or Glogow. And by the way, mannerist and renaissance buildings will receive greater recognition if they are rebuilt by architects and experts coming from the same country and region as the architects and mastercrafts of the original buildings.
Well, if there was a decision to reconstruct buildings in an authentic way, then it would get done. Glogow was an experiment. Never intended to be a faithful reconstruction.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #862
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
I have great respect for the reconstruction of Gdansk, Warsaw and other polish cities. However under such people as former Warsaw head conservator Nekanda-Trepka and the conservator in Gdansk (Refusing to reconstruct the Wyspa Spichrzow).

The conservators job in Elblag and Glogow are just horrible example how following the "Venice charter" can destroy the countries great reconstruction reputation in XXI century.
It's their fault for signing such a stupid charter. Feels like a conspiracy almost, to prohibit other nations from rebuilding beautiful architecture. It's like France, Italy and Spain can only have really beautiful architecture, right? Rip up that charter I say!!! And who enforces it? Poland seems to be taking direction from too many countries. I don't think it will serve the country well in the future.
Warsaw has a new conservator. I hope he's better than the last one.

Last edited by rychlik; February 17th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #863
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
It's their fault for signing such a stupid charter. Feels like a conspiracy almost, to prohibit other nations from rebuilding beautiful architecture. It's like France, Italy and Spain can only have really beautiful architecture, right? Rip up that charter I say!!! Poland seems to taking direction from too many countries. I don't think it will serve the country well in the future.
I totally agree, countries devastated by WWII such as Poland and Germany should never have signed this unnecessary charter. (Though Germany in contrary to Poland is ignoring the charter and is currently rebuilding lost old town districts and palaces (Dresden, Potsdam, Frankfurt)

Last edited by Oslo2022; February 17th, 2013 at 03:24 AM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #864
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
I totally agree, countries devastated by WWII such as Poland and Germany should never have signed this unnecessary charter. (Though Germany in contrary to Poland is ignoring the charter and is currently rebuilding lost old town districts and palaces (Dresden, Potsdam, Frankfurt)
So it's a joke and nobody enforces it.

I want to sleep easier and believe it has to do with cost: authentic, historical reconstructions are more expensive because they require more detail, precision and superb craftsmanship.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #865
Jakobhorner

Likes (Received):

Quote:
I am afraid that we will se larger faithful city-reconstructions in Poland in the nearby future.
faithful to what?
As you reconstructed in historical style prior to XVIII century, you should rebuild Granary Island in that style as well. Nothing is faithful, it's all theater, a play.
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #866
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Dresden (pop. 529,781, huge budget)

Elblag (pop. 124,257, poor Poland)

Dresden

Elblag

Oslo2022 - The conservators job in Elblag are just horrible examples on how following the "Venice charter" can destroy a countries great reconstruction reputation in the XXI century. Though Germany in contrary to Poland is ignoring the charter and is currently rebuilding lost old town districts and palaces (Dresden). Yeah, right

In this process experts from Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium should be hired in two make clear that all the great buildings and streetviews are recreated as close to perfection as possible.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; February 17th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #867
Oslo2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
So it's a joke and nobody enforces it.

I want to sleep easier and believe it has to do with cost: authentic, historical reconstructions are more expensive because they require more detail, precision and superb craftsmanship.
Well Poland will soon reseve 300 billion zlotys from the EU, at least a little part from these fundings could be spend on reconstructing buildings in Gdansk, Warsaw and other polish cities.

RS_UK-PL liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #868
Oslo2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post

Oslo2022 - The conservators job in Elblag are just horrible examples on how following the "Venice charter" can destroy a countries great reconstruction reputation in the XXI century. Though Germany in contrary to Poland is ignoring the charter and is currently rebuilding lost old town districts and palaces (Dresden). Yeah, right

In this process experts from Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium should be hired in two make clear that all the great buildings and streetviews are recreated as close to perfection as possible.
I am just so depressed seeing the lack of will to reconstruct lost historic districts in entire Europe. Though some light can be seen in the Balkans (Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina with Sarajevo).

RS_UK-PL liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #869
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5339

The Netherlands and Belgium both aren't good in reconstructing old demolished neighborhoods....

The only really good example (of reconstruction, because all the other famous old towns in Belgium never recieved big amounts of damage) in Belgium is Ieper.

Ieper went from this:

http://users.telenet.be/omgevingsboe.../ieper1919.jpg

To this:

http://fotogeniekbelgie.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ieper-01-contr1.jpg?w=700&h=470

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1333/1...8dd184d7_z.jpg

RS_UK-PL liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #870
RS_UK-PL

Thank you for these photos. I'm really impressed with the reconstructions in Ieper/Ypres (beautiful city).

If we're talking about the cities rebuilt after WW1, Poles did a great job with Kalisz.

rychlik liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #871
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5848

Quote:
Dresden (pop. 529,781, huge budget)

Elblag (pop. 124,257, poor Poland)
I like Elblag in a weird way. Some postmodernist buildings are really a failure but I could imagine that one day, people will appreciate the entirety of the largely post-modern city for its quirky and unconventional weirdness.

Still, your comparison of Dresden and Elbalg is a highly selective and biased one. You show the most historic/ most successful postmodern reconstructions in Elblag and compare them with the least historic and most boring buildings at Neumarkt. Thats not a fair and honest way of comparing both.
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #872
RS_UK-PL

I've just compared new tenements in Dresden with new tenements in Elblag. Elblag never had any Baroque palaces or churches, so I cannot compare these buildings.

rychlik liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #873
Jakobhorner

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Well Poland will soon reseve 300 billion zlotys from the EU, at least a little part from these fundings could be spend on reconstructing buildings in Gdansk, Warsaw and other polish cities.
Better put it on preservation.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #874
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5848

Quote:
I've just compared new tenements in Dresden with new tenements in Elblag. Elblag never had any Baroque palaces or churches, so I cannot compare these buildings.
Ok. All of those buildings are fairly new indeed. But for the bigger picture the context of these buildings is important. In Elblag there might not be a baroque heritage but I am sure if there would have been the will, there would have been plenty of possibilities for charming old style reconstructions, more than have been realized (those that got reconstructed are lovely btw).

IMHO the new retrofits in Elblag look better and classier than some of the older ones.

rychlik liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #875
Oslo2022

Quote:

Thank you for these photos. I'm really impressed with the reconstructions in Ieper/Ypres (beautiful city).

If we're talking about the cities rebuilt after WW1, Poles did a great job with Kalisz.
The reconstruction of Kalisz is one of the best reconstructions I have ever seen. I only could wish that we will see a similar result in Gdansk (Main town, Old town and Granary Island) with the second stage of the reconstruction of this city.

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #876
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
The Netherlands and Belgium both aren't good in reconstructing old demolished neighborhoods....

The only really good example (of reconstruction, because all the other famous old towns in Belgium never recieved big amounts of damage) in Belgium is Ieper.

Ieper went from this:

To this:

image hosted on flickr

Holy crap. That's an amazing recovery. Why didn't I know about it???
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #877
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
But you made a good point about the charter.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #878
Oslo2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post

To this:

http://fotogeniekbelgie.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ieper-01-contr1.jpg?w=700&h=470

image hosted on flickr

This is exactly what I want to see happen during the second stage of the reconstruction of Gdansk, because it deserves it!

Ypres right after WWI

Ypres today (Everything you see are reconstructions)

Street view (How I want this in Gdansk, Its like all the streets in Gdansk would have been reconstructed like Dluga, Mariacka, or Piwna street)

Imagine the Gdansk cityscape looking like this:

And all the streets like this:

Last edited by Oslo2022; February 17th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #879
Oslo2022

Short clip of the Gdansk ruins in 1945

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #880
markfos
San Escobar

Likes (Received): 4277

I' m wondering, how come, that Poland, under communism rule, was able to rebuilt German Cities, while rich Germany could not?

rychlik liked this post
markfos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
gdańsk, gdansk