daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #1101
intervention
planning inaction

I am pretty sure that there was not a lot of "living" happening during the period of reconstruction pictured above because it is so comprehensive! None of those pictures show any sign of habitation, just construction.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1102
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Here are some shots of street-life in Gdansk Main Town in 1958. Of course, this is not documentary
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

catcha, smugler, baren, Rombi liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #1103
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Gdansk in 1951 (the historic site is being rebuilt, 5 years after work had begun)
Video

Gdansk in 1952 (work in progress)
Video

Gdansk in 1955 (many buildings already reconstructed, 9 years after start of a project)
Video

Urbanista1, skyscraperus, Domen123 liked this post
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1104
GarretPL

Likes (Received): 0

RS_UK-PL, Did you know, how that buildings was reconstructed? I mean did they build on parts of walls that survived the war and basements or smash the ruins and build everything from ground?
GarretPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1105
Morrov555

Likes (Received): 52

From what I know they've used as much original walls as possible, and built the rest same way it was built originally.
Morrov555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #1106
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretPL View Post
RS_UK-PL, Did you know, how that buildings was reconstructed? I mean did they build on parts of walls that survived the war and basements or smash the ruins and build everything from ground?
Both version were applied, depending on building.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #1107
RS_UK-PL

TheReconstructer, Oslo2022, catcha liked this post
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1108
Kishjar

Likes (Received): 829

I've visited Gdansk a month ago. It's fantastic.. Thanks to all people who worked on the reconstruction for that awesome job!

Old November 18th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #1109
RS_UK-PL

According to "Kronika polska" (Chronicle of Poland) by Marcin Bielski (published between 1551 and 1597) Gdańsk/Dantzigk was founded by Vandalic (Polish) King Wissimir (in modern Polish: "Wyszemir") after his return from the expedition to Denmark in the first half of the 4th century, where he defeated King Siward's army. King Siward I lost Cimbria and was forced to pay tribute (in Polish: "danina"). A native of Denmark is called a "Duńczyk" in Polish hence the name of the city. King Wissimir also founded city of Wismar, known in the early Middle Ages as Vishemir.

View of Gdańsk/Dantzigk in ca.1575

Source

Gdańsk in the 12th century

Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; November 20th, 2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1110
RS_UK-PL

Video

JohnnyMass, Rombi, Rokugatsu liked this post
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM   #1111
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7419

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
King Wissimir also founded city of Wismar, known in the early Middle Ages as Vishemir.
According to your late medieval source I guess. More "recent" researches have overthrown this theory long time ago. It's obviously much more complicated.

Mony Vi liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1112
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
According to your late medieval source I guess. More "recent" researches have overthrown this theory long time ago. It's obviously much more complicated.
I just mentioned one of the local "legends" that people believed in before the 18th-19th century. Inhabitants of Wismar even placed commemorative plaque with inscription "Haec civitas condita est a Wisimaro" on the town house.

They say that in every legend there's a grain of truth.

Based on the latest research Wismar was probably founded by the Polabian Slavs, while archaeological excavations in Gdańsk proved existence of the settlement since the 4th century.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; January 9th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #1113
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

Let be honest, Germany would make all reconstruction of these cities better than Poland. German is richier, Poland has no money to rebuild them and it is unwiling to redo an heritage that identify them to Germany because they are afraid of idependentists movements.
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #1114
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

Well that's just pure trolling. Poland has done a great job in reconstructing the various cities in the former German territories. For instance the city centres of Gdansk and Wroclaw look better and more historical than an average west German city. All these cities in western Poland have a mixed heritage, Slavic, Prussian, German and Polish. And especially the Polish cities are great examples of this.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #1115
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post

Well that's just pure trolling. Poland has done a great job in reconstructing the various cities in the former German territories. For instance the city centres of Gdansk and Wroclaw look better and more historical than an average west German city. All these cities in western Poland have a mixed heritage, Slavic, Prussian, German and Polish. And especially the Polish cities are great examples of this.
No fellow, sorry If I sounded a troll. I just meant that Poland should adopt "Spanish solution" to East Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia as Spain gouvernment did to Catalunya, Galicia and Basque Country. To give them autonomous status and let them speak Pole, German, Lithuanian and revive Old Prussian. To learn all these languages in public school, publish official documents in all languages, respect their national sentiments.

It is not a pure fantasy! Because it has already made! Who did? Israel! When they founded Israel they recreated a state and revived hebrew language.
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #1116
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

del

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; December 7th, 2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: no feeding
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1117
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post

Agree. Gdansk is a masterpiece - so are a handful of other cities. Dresden comes closest to Poland when it comes to rebuilding but unfortunately with a blend of ugly new boxes here and there.

rychlik, Bulanek liked this post
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1118
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goy View Post
Let be honest, Germany would make all reconstruction of these cities better than Poland. German is richier, Poland has no money to rebuild them and it is unwiling to redo an heritage that identify them to Germany because they are afraid of idependentists movements.
And it was the policy of Nazi Germany to destroy as much of Polish infrastructure/heritage as possible, the most famous example being Warsaw. A lot of architecture was lost.
But you need some perspective on the situation. I was in Wroclaw over the summer and it is a beautiful city, without exaggeration. Every German who visits Wroclaw or Gdansk should kiss the a s s of anyone working in the tourist/service sector because it was Poles who brought these cities back to life and now people are able to enjoy these places again. Maybe the Germans should have stopped fighting the Russians like fools in Wroclaw during the last days of the war which would have preserved/saved more of the city's grande buildings. What were they fighting for in early 1945? So show some respect because let's not forget who did the destroying. And there is no law that states you have to preserve the culture of your former enemy. Who's preserving Polish culture in lands to the east that were once a part of Poland? On a similar note, do you know how hard it is to get looted art back to Poland from countries like Germany or Russia? It can take years.

Last edited by rychlik; December 7th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1119
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

Quote:
No fellow, sorry If I sounded a troll. I just meant that Poland should adopt "Spanish solution" to East Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia as Spain gouvernment did to Catalunya, Galicia and Basque Country. To give them autonomous status and let them speak Pole, German, Lithuanian and revive Old Prussian. To learn all these languages in public school, publish official documents in all languages, respect their national sentiments.

It is not a pure fantasy! Because it has already made! Who did? Israel! When they founded Israel they recreated a state and revived hebrew language.
Well I still think that is utter crap. The days of population transfers are over. Europe (and especially Poland) has suffered tremendously from the world wars, exterminations, border changes and expulsions. The borders of Europe are not up for discussion, neither are the options for repatriating peoples.

Spain is not comparable to Poland as it is a multilingual nation, where the various nations (Basque, Catalan) have their own autonomous communities (or states). Poland is less ethnically diverse but there are still German and Kashubian minorities living in Poland today, they don't form their own autonomous communities within Poland but are protected by law.

And I don't see how reviving Old-Prussian has anything to do with the reconstruction of Gdansk as that has never been one of the languages spoken in that city. Reviving languages is not easy, and Israel might be one of the only examples where it worked. But that came with a cost, the other language of the Jewish people (Yiddish) has almost vanished.

JanVL, Urbanista1, Bulanek, Rombi, rychlik and 2 others liked this post
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1120
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Quote:
[B]No fellow, sorry If I sounded a troll. I just meant that Poland should adopt "Spanish solution" to East Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia as Spain gouvernment did to Catalunya, Galicia and Basque Country.
That would be a thing to consider if we had any bigger minorities to speak about but as you should know since the last war Poland is closer to Japan or Korea rather than Spain in this regard, and places you mentioned are no exception so your proposition to give them authonomy sounds like trolling or some weird joke.
I mean you know this former German territories were repopulated with Poles, mostly from the parts in the east annexed by the Soviet Union so they have nothing to do with people that used to inhabit this lands

Bulanek, rychlik liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
gdańsk, gdansk