daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #1201
Alatar

Likes (Received): 379

What do you mean by "rebuild"?
Alatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #1202
casey128
dallas via boston

Likes (Received): 3

rebuild

well like spichrz island on the other side of the canal....just some walls and foundations remain
casey128 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #1203
toRRone
UrbanLifeStyle

Likes (Received): 2474

if it comes to Granary or Spichrz Island it's all just started at a huge if not mind-blowing scale. (i mean compared to whatever had been planned or proposed before).

Check the news out.

N tip
http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...y-n100711.html

S tip
http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...w-n100228.html

Soon: former railway station
http://dom.trojmiasto.pl/Stare-Przed...no-n98203.html

Soon: Lock-area
http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...ny-n94169.html

Soon: Długie Ogrody/Long Gardens area
http://dom.trojmiasto.pl/Dlugie-Ogro...ne-n96853.html

http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...ka-n98325.html

Finally some shipyard area developments, not just demolitions we got used to.
http://dom.trojmiasto.pl/Biurowiec-T...la-n99465.html

http://dom.trojmiasto.pl/Mieszkania-...wy-n96703.html

post-conference masterplan drafts
http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...j-n100752.html

Much disputed project nearby started just weeks ago.
http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...ja-n99508.html

That's just to mark the scale, unmatched since the very post-war reconstruction. There will be dozens of cranes towering over the old town starting just now. The quality of architecture is a different story. Really poor project appear more and more rarely, yet apart from WW2 museum there's hardly anything iconic comming anytime soon.

http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...ej-n96882.html

Urbanista1, Rombi liked this post
toRRone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #1204
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

Thanks, that is a really interesting overview.

I think Gdansk has done a great job in rebuilding the historic city. And yes its not finished yet, the density of the city isn't comparable to the pre-war condition.

This 1930 map has been been uploaded in this tread before

This is the situation today

The historical structure of the city has mostly remained and is being slowly rebuilt, while combining it with modern contemporary buildings.

Hopefully after the open spaces have been filled, the various in the commieblocks along the river will be replaced too.

One thing I was wondering about, are there any plans to narrow the road 501 - Podwale Przedmiejskie?
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #1205
toRRone
UrbanLifeStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post

One thing I was wondering about, are there any plans to narrow the road 501 - Podwale Przedmiejskie?
starting soon! (the tunnel under the Vistula was just opened a few days ago giving the green light)

http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...a-n100983.html

pedestrianizing + 4-way intersections (starting this fall):

http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...im-n98130.html

post-conference study

http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/...go-n96130.html

Batavier liked this post

Last edited by toRRone; April 28th, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
toRRone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #1206
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

I don't like the modern stuff going on on the other side of the river (are those plans final?)

At least the building on the corner with stagiewna street should be a reconstruction.
They are also to hight, towering over the old buildings at the other side of the river.

Are there any plans to replace that ugly bridge in front of the green gate?

Alatar liked this post
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #1207
toRRone
UrbanLifeStyle

this bridge is apparently historical. 1926.
+ i don't think it's ugly. just simple in form.
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #1208
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Are there any projects involving reconstruction of prewar buildings, a mix of historical and modern is much more desirable, IMO.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM   #1209
Sentyme
KlejnotNilu

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey128 View Post
i love gdansk but was a bit disappointed during my last visit....so much still hasnt been rebuilt....ie granary island being the main thing.....hated the exterior and location of the new shakspere theater...i visited wroclaw the year before and was blown away ....theres so much progress there in restoring the town....whole parts of town are being renewed....maybe its because so much more of pre war wroclaw survived but i used to put gdansk on par with wroclaw but no longer....wroclaw clearly blows gdansk away though i might be tempted in the summertime to visit gdansk over wroclaw simply based on its proximity to the sea and nearby sopot....gdansk seems to be sitting on its laurels so i dont see any reason to return anytime soon
I had the same impression. People brag so much about Gdansk, but there are just few promenades restored, and the back-streets still look gloomy. I guess that for an average polish vacationer it's enough, but I had bigger expectations.. Seems, like there is not enough support and money to restore an old tissue of the city, likewise in other cities in Poland. :/ Don't get me wrong, city is still cool, but it doesn't match its reputation from my impression.

Alatar, Rombi, keepthepast liked this post
Sentyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:37 PM   #1210
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Are there any projects involving reconstruction of prewar buildings, a mix of historical and modern is much more desirable, IMO.
Yes.

Titan Man, erbse liked this post
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:10 AM   #1211
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentyme View Post
People brag so much about Gdansk, but there are just few promenades restored, and the back-streets still look gloomy. I had bigger expectations.. Seems, like there is not enough support and money to restore an old tissue of the city, likewise in other cities in Poland. :/ Don't get me wrong, city is still cool, but it doesn't match its reputation from my impression.
Not all rebuilt Polish cities will be as fortunate as the meticulously reconstructed Warsaw. If any bragging is being done about Gdansk then its because so much more has been accomplished than previously expected. Definitely nowhere near pristine conditions but still impressive when compared to the post-war husk. I agree that many reconstructed streets have a somewhat gloomy feel to them but there are many more that are quite lovely. It may take a couple of more decades before Gdansk as a whole starts to resemble its old self again.

rychlik liked this post
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:16 AM   #1212
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blond Guy View Post
Yes.

Great, but IMO, there should be more, especially in and around the Main Town. I don't think larger reconstruction projects would outshine new developments as there are many plots that were occupied by industrial complexes, which can serve as space for amazing new developments.

Alatar liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #1213
casey128
dallas via boston

Likes (Received): 3

comparisons

its not so much that i was disappointed with gdansk as much as its improvements vis a vis other cities in poland....i was blown away by wroclaw....what a terrific city.....whole parts of town transformed..dynamic people....little torun also blew me away....what a transformation....warsaw and krakow are also barreling along....but gdansk seems stuck....perhaps its lost much of its shipping industry and doesnt have the money....i just hope they get spichrz island right...i bet the people of wroclaw would know how to get it right.
casey128 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #1214
toRRone
UrbanLifeStyle

I don't think it's the case here. I mean the lack of money. The economy is booming and so is the shipyard/port industry. It's no longer that visible in the cityscape, though as the plots around the old harbour were cleared and the business was moved towards the open sea: north and east of the town. The case is rather how the money is spent: on new highways connecting sprawling suburbs encouraging people to move even further, beyond the airport and the city limits ...and how the business reacted to poor urban planning: with new business districts rising on former industrial grounds in the outskirts of Oliwa rather than in and around the city proper or new housing emmerging right in the middle of Kashubian pastures. With 1/3 people (estimated) living 1h away from the centre no urban life can endure the winter. With residents growing old and passing their apts to short-term rent agencies and old town plots developed almost exclusively as hotels no way can this city manage not to become a grotesque mix of Venice and Detroit.
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #1215
Sentyme
KlejnotNilu

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by toRRone View Post
I don't think it's the case here. I mean the lack of money. The economy is booming and so is the shipyard/port industry. It's no longer that visible in the cityscape, though as the plots around the old harbour were cleared and the business was moved towards the open sea: north and east of the town. The case is rather how the money is spent: on new highways connecting sprawling suburbs encouraging people to move even further, beyond the airport and the city limits ...and how the business reacted to poor urban planning: with new business districts rising on former industrial grounds in the outskirts of Oliwa rather than in and around the city proper or new housing emmerging right in the middle of Kashubian pastures. With 1/3 people (estimated) living 1h away from the centre no urban life can endure the winter. With residents growing old and passing their apts to short-term rent agencies and old town plots developed almost exclusively as hotels no way can this city manage not to become a grotesque mix of Venice and Detroit.
Exactly, just a brief look on Gdansk from a satelite view shows that there is very chaotic development of suburbs, and lot of infrastructure investments, especially roads and railways connecting 3-city (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot), but nowhere I've seen any complex plan to revitalize old tissue of city. For a city that has 450k inhabitants, renovation of several streets shouldn't be such a big deal. Lesser cities, such as Torun or Bydgoszcz somehow managed to do this. I mean, if you have sth like ~200k taxpayers in city then why the pace of renovation is so reluctant.
Sentyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #1216
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda

Likes (Received): 18923

Granary Island reconstruction started today. Some pics

Some visualizations

Bridge over Motława river named Holy Spirit (description on youtube)

RS_UK-PL, Titan Man, Batavier, Rombi, rychlik and 1 others liked this post
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #1217
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Even though I hoped for reconstruction, this project looks very good, I kinda like how they took the inspiration from historical architecture of the area, I'm looking forward to it.
Old May 13th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #1218
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 13th, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #1219
RS_UK-PL

Gdansk (Long Market) in 1601

As we can see above, some notable buildings/monuments (not yet erected) are missing, such as Golden Gate, Golden House, Neptune's Fountain...

Gdansk (Long Wharf) in 1601

* Click on the images to enlarge

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, erbse, FEJM liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 13th, 2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 13th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #1220
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Romanesque Cellar - Gdansk Archeological Museum

More photos: link

Titan Man, JMGA196 liked this post

Tags
gdańsk, gdansk