daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #1281
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpound View Post
Really? I thought EU has tried to destroy this industry since it was too competitive for Germany. I thought many jobs have been lost.
are you here to trash the EU and troll for Russia? ...an institution that has given Poland far far more than Soviet Russia ever did plus freedom of movement. What you may have read is paranoid right wing misinformation courtesy of PIS #polskawruinie

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...munist-decline

I agree with erbse, Gdansk should finally receive UNESCO status.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

PMat liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:04 AM   #1282
Alatar

Likes (Received): 379

Can you write your arguments in favor of enlisting Gdańsk (in which borders?) into UNESCO world heritage sites list? Warsaw got its status as an exception (I don't know if it's the sole example) to reward the toil, intent and faithfulness (I know it's not exactly like prewar or XVIII century).
Alatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #1283
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Gdansk was actual the first site in Poland where an attempt was made to resurrect the historical core of an ancient city. Lots of trial and error, lots of error. Often plans were drawn up before ruins were cleared, so instead of revising plans, original substance was removed by workers. Luckily, unlike in Warsaw, most of the original churches survived relatively unscathed, but the surrounding context was in many cases with some exceptions (Arthur's Court) an architect's fantasy. Gdansk's famous grand foyers were in many cases not recreated. For the superb restorations of St. Catherine's and St, John's church and other original churches Gdansk should get UNESCO status and protection.

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 5th, 2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #1284
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58047

That, plus the main market and faithful reconstructions of its profane landmark buildings, like the City Hall and the gates, justify the status. It's a unique collection of Hanseatic, HRR, German and Polish heritage. A very special place and so different from the other Hanseatic UNESCO old towns Lübeck, Stralsund, Wismar and Bergen.

http://touristpointgdansk.pl/galeria/?lang=de

Gdansk by Adam Szczepkowski, on Flickr

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Bulanek, Roy Corduroy, cilindr0, FEJM liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 5th, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1285
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda

Likes (Received): 18940

Well said Erbse
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #1286
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I really love Gdansk too and have often brought visiting friends into Poland through this gateway.

Old April 8th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #1287
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58047

Btw, was there any ambition for Gdansk to become a UNESCO World Heritage in recent years?

It's on the tentative list since 2005, but obviously pulled back by Poland in 2007, which I don't understand at all.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #1288
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Gdansk was put on the tentative UNESCO list based on these criteria:

to exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world, on developments in architecture or technology, monumental arts, town-planning or landscape design;

to be an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates (a) significant stage(s) in human history;

to be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance. (The Committee considers that this criterion should preferably be used in conjunction with other criteria);

Gdansk meets all of these criteria, and we could go into depth on this. I wonder where the conservator stands on this.

erbse liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #1289
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Interesting criteria; somewhat universally applicable to most major cities, actually.

Obviously, the city's recent Polish nationality rebuilt the key buildings, but how does UNESCO evaluate and feature its German roots in relative to the criteria? Or is pre 1945 not part of the equation?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #1290
Urbanista1
Here and Now

pre 1945 is very relevant despite the fact that 90% of the historic city ceased to exist as a result of the Soviet siege in 1945. Poles rebuilt the entire city and this polonizing effect is understandable.

To say the "recent Polish nationality" and "German roots" is somewhat misleading and is not doing history and the forces that shaped this city and region adequate justice, if that's what you mean. The roots of Gdansk are not German either as it was founded by Mieszko I of Poland in 980 and was inhabited even earlier by indigenous peoples who were mostly Baltic and Slavic Pomeranian/Kashubian. From 1200 to 1310 Gdansk was part of a Pomeranian duchy under Polish tutelage. From 1310-1454 it was under Teutonic Knight rule when Germanic colonization began. From 1450-1793 it was under the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Germans became a majority from 1793 after partitions of Poland and 1871 when German Empire was established and germanization became a policy in this city.

German cultural influence throughout this period is undeniable. All these influences are relevant, even Jan Heweliusz spoke Polish as well as German.

Landmarks and events significant to Germans, Pomeranians, Kashubs and others should also be celebrated as part of Gdansk's history. Its recent history, World War II and Solidarity Movement has already been adequately commemorated.

The pre war Danzig Hauptbahnhof, neo-Gothic and neo-Renaissance with some Art Nouveau flourishes that was popular in the German empire around 1900 was rebuilt post war along with numerous other structures such as the one that houses the National Museum.

Most of Gdansk's churches, which throughout history served Catholics, Lutherans and Protestants, some founded by Germans were rebuilt as they were as well as most of the grand tenements and burgher houses along the Long Market and Mariacka Street. St. Brigit's was a ruin until the 70's and only recently has been restored. The oldest church Basilica of St. Michael founded by Świętopełk was luckily completely spared.

In order to make Gdansk more of a reflection of its recent history, I think the Danziger Hotel could be rebuilt (plot of land largely empty):

where possible pre war kamienice/tenements around the Churches of Peter and Paul and the Holy Trinity should be rebuilt if accurate archival documentation exists, the area in between is empty to this day:

There are still many empty lots where historic buildings could be rebuilt and those reconstructions will reflect Gdansk's present reality within the EU and I think Poles will feel more confident to celebrate that German heritage less reluctantly.

Old April 19th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #1291
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Granary Island (18.04.2017, after 7 pm)

* Blame S7 Edge for poor image quality in the dark

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; April 19th, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #1292
drawabeats

Likes (Received): 548

Granary Island from above

Some news starting soon

Torunska

bjk
Old June 19th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #1293
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1981 View Post
Wyspa Spichrzów (20:00 i dalej pracowali):

Fajne schodki z podświetleniem zrobili od strony Grodzkiej do kładki:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysztof_wolf View Post
Już działa! Zwodzona kładka z Długiego Pobrzeża na Ołowiankę oficjalnie otwarta

http://trojmiasto.wyborcza.pl/trojmi...#BoxLokTrojImg

49 zdjęć z otwarcia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksawersis View Post
Wreszcie zniknęły szpetne reklamy z tej brudnej i niespodziewanie nieprzeszklonej ściany karła architektonicznej reakcji! O ile lepiej!

Puro, na każdym segmencie logo sieci.

Elewację środkowego będą z obu stron kończyli chyba z wysięgników, ponieważ od strony morza rusztowanie już dawno zabrane, od strony Stągiewnej zwijali dzisiaj. Elewacja po obu stronach niepełna. Dziwne.

Las słupów zwiastuje rychłe wyjście na poziom 0!

Pale typu jet-grunting w miejscu widocznym na zdjęciu chyba skończone, bo ekipa wykonywała je po lewej.

Kłaniam się
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #1294
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1676

Hampton by Hilton. Photos by blackwater_1981

Wyspa Mlynska (Mill Island)

Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:33 PM   #1295
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5846

Torunska feels a bit like Hafencity in Hamburg, which is nice. I am tempted to say that this looks like modern hanseatic architecture

Urbanista1 liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:40 AM   #1296
toRRone
UrbanLifeStyle

Likes (Received): 2475

Mill Island would be Bydgoszcz or Wrocław. In this case it's Granary Island

Tags
gdańsk, gdansk