daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old June 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
neil

Likes (Received): 95

Manchester UK. What do you think?

What do you think of Manchester UK? What do you know of Manchester, and are you planning on visiting Manchester. I would like to hear from foreign people mostly.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Brett

Likes (Received): 42

I don't really don't have a opinion about Manchester at all to tell you the truth. The only thing i know about Manchester is that they have a football team. IMO unlike London Manchester is not that well recognized internationally. If i went to England im sure i would visit there though.
Brett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Bikkel
sadfox

Likes (Received): 0

Great place; have hundreds if not thousands of singles, albums and CDs from the city. However the misbehaviour by some juveniles from the GM region makes me long for an internet curfew. All under sixteens ought to log off at 10.
Bikkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

Beautiful core with lots of nice architecture modern and historic. Great city, one of the three cities in the UK I'd live in (Glasgow and London as well).
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 955

Great place....Visit the best of Britain thread for sme great pics of Manchester....a Link to it is in my sig.

Page 6 I think they are mainly on

Visit Grantham Linconshire

I am on the twitter @eddyk2
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6
micro

Likes (Received): 22

Last year I went there for a weekend. I expected only industry and football fans but was surprised to find such a beautiful city and nice architecture!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #7
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

Manchester seems like its a nice city, but all my information comes from here. I don't get to much info on that particular city here in California. Its usually London or Birmingham that the media mostly shows as "Britian". But still I think its a good city.
SDfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #8
qwerty1324

I'll be there to visit for fun and will be using Manchester as my main base of stay as I travel around. I have only heard good things about Manchester.
qwerty1324 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #9
neil

interesting!
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #10
gruber

Likes (Received): 2447

As many (or all except London) English cities have a terrible image in Italy.
poor city with enormous neighborhoods of blue collars houses, grey as dominant color, rain, smog, fog and football and alchool as only 2 hobbies, terrifiant restaurant, fat people that go around the city with 5 bellies and a pint of bier in the hand, with a man utd t-shirt.
this is the image the Manchester have in Italy.

i never went there, so i have any opinion.
i visited Lierpool in the mid 80's and i think that at that time was one of the most orrible place in the western world.
i hope that Manchester today isn't as Liverpool 20 years ago!
gruber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #11
Scraperlover
Phantasmagoria

Likes (Received): 4

manchester is home to the world best football team MANCHESTER UNITED
Scraperlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #12
kids

Likes (Received): 172

it's the home to much more than football, look at these threads:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...4&page=1&pp=20

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=181183
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #13
neil

Please can i have more commons?
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14
easysurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber
poor city with enormous neighborhoods of blue collars houses, grey as dominant color, rain, smog, fog and football and alchool as only 2 hobbies, terrifiant restaurant, fat people that go around the city with 5 bellies and a pint of bier in the hand, with a man utd t-shirt.

i never went there, so i have any opinion.
i visited Lierpool in the mid 80's and i think that at that time was one of the most orrible place in the western world.
i hope that Manchester today isn't as Liverpool 20 years ago!
If this is what most italians think then it gives a very bad impression of people in Italy. By the looks of it ignorance, stupidity and pre-judice are rife over there. I somehow suspect you do not represent the majority of italians and just like being insulting. Please could you inform us how italians are more cultured seeing as the people in England only have two hobbies, are all fat and live in smoggy cities? (This is news to me) Milan and Rome i suspect don't have any trouble?
easysurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #15
Zarkon
Metalhead User

Likes (Received): 4

There's something better in England than Man. Sure, I think it's more livable than other cities like Liverpool or Coventry!
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #16
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 4805

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruber
I didn't realise Italians were so insular and ignorant about foreign places.

Manchester does have quite a lot of rain (although less than places like New York, Sydney etc) but smog is not a problem, certainly less then in hot mediterranean countries, fog happens sometimes but not very often. There is a very good theatre and arts scene in Manchester, there are many interesting museums and galleries and the restaurants are excellent and very varied. There are myriad things to do in Manchester and some of the most beautiful parts of rural UK are also within an hour or so of the city.

Some areas of the city are quite poor it is true but some are also quite rich, this is a pattern that occurs in cities across the globe, not just in England, The central areas where visitors are likely to go are very pleasant.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #17
eddyk
Registered Abuser

http://img155.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img155&image=2456ki.jpg

Old June 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #18
gruber

Likes (Received): 2447

Hey man, in Italy we have that idea of the Englishmen 'cause we saw them here as tourists.
forever in the pubs, drunken, fat and watching footballk match.

then...if you want think that english cities are beautiful...probably you never was came out of your small island.
Roma is Beautiful, Paris is beautiful, Prague, Firenze, Venezia, Sankt Petersburg are beautiful, Barcelona, Lisbon, Istanbul are beautiful, San Francisco and Sydney are beautiful.
not sure Liverpool, Manchester, Coventry, Leeds, Birmingham and the other stuffs.
that are terrible cities.

anyway...if for you english cities are so beautiful....why some dozens of thousands of English have an holiday home in Tuscany or in the Lake district in Lombardia???? and a big, big, big number of them came here to live?
gruber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #19
spxy

Theres lots of beautiful cities in the UK, just not many of the big ones, plus a lot of those eauropean cities have very ugly areas as well as nice ones, uglier than anything you'll find in Britian.

Have you ever seen cities like Bath, Bristol, Chelteham, royal Lemington spa, Edinburgh, Brighton< all have areas of outstanding architecture and beauty.
spxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #20
eddyk
Registered Abuser

"anyway...if for you english cities are so beautiful....why some dozens of thousands of English have an holiday home in Tuscany or in the Lake district in Lombardia???? and a big, big, big number of them came here to live?"

Because we can afford it, not to mention the UK is the most diverse country in europe, so obviously there are more forigners in the UK than in Italy, by a long way.

I think its time gruber you start to accept the UK as a beautiful place and get those silly thought out of your head....People call us paranoid on this site when we mention people like you....but here you are in the flesh, and im sure there are others like you.

I beg of you gruber, for your sake and anyone else who thinks the same...plese look at this page
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=181183

P.S
Im pretty sure Italians has the european football hooligan label now.

How many cars were torched in Turin by italians when Liverpool where there...quite a few.