daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: CN vs Ost. vs Srat.
CN 260 60.32%
Ostankino 85 19.72%
Stratosphere 38 8.82%
Other 48 11.14%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #121
skyscraper100
>:
 
skyscraper100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 2,640
Likes (Received): 32

for me this is the most beautiful observation tower

THE ORIENTAL PEARL
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #122
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,654
Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
I'd say Soviet era tech is the most rugged of all. Soviet era missiles (still functioning today) are the most reliable and the most used by parties who need space services. Weapons designed in the 70-es and 80-es are still in service in many countries, and often on par with updated western items. Same goes for dams and bridges - with no important failures, whereas, I recall, USAn bridge from the same period suffered at least two catastrophic collapses.
Oh well, the same fact of Ostankino having resisted a big fire and still standing up after 40 years without needing a major renovation, tells it all.

I made comments regarding a Russian, Canadian, and German tower. What does US construction technology have to do with this? Why not start talking about Egyptian construction, while you're at it. Some Soviet technology is durable, but we are talking about construction/engineering technology. I'd take German or Canadian over Soviet, any day.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #123
ale26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Likes (Received): 17

ya seriously...
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #124
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I made comments regarding a Russian, Canadian, and German tower. What does US construction technology have to do with this? Why not start talking about Egyptian construction, while you're at it. Some Soviet technology is durable, but we are talking about construction/engineering technology. I'd take German or Canadian over Soviet, any day.
Excuse me, but your comment was not just about towers, you said "Soviet era technology doesn't instill you confidence". Now, "era" means "period of time", so "Soviet era" specimens should be put in parallel with their contemporaries. Of course US technology has to do with this (maybe egyptian too), since at that time a race was on in the tech field as well. While you'd take German or Canadian over Soviet, your fellow Canadian techies think differently, in fact your communications are probably provided by a Soviet (-derived)-launched satellite. Major US and Canadian comm firms prefer Russian rockets:
http://www.globalstar.ca/en/about/ne...php?pressId=41
http://www.space-travel.com/reports/...il_10_999.html
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #125
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,199
Likes (Received): 20055

London Telecom Tower, not the biggest in the world but hey.

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #126
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator
 
MasonicStage™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 18,950

Collserola Tower in Barcelona
something amazing! especially in live!
__________________
Written by nature edited by evolution.
MasonicStage™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #127
Marcanadian
Moderator
 
Marcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,069
Likes (Received): 2585

The CN Tower has one of the best lighting systems in the World.

From Flickr


image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr


By mkrsic
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #128
caltrane74
Registered User
 
caltrane74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 997
Likes (Received): 71

I can't believe this thread is still alive.
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #129
ancov
Развлекаетесь? Ну-ну...
 
ancov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Moscow
Posts: 11,392
Likes (Received): 33001

Ostankino !!!

__________________

Экзистенциальный эксгибиционист.

"Боюсь, мы поздно поняли,
Чью шкуру
Делили неубитые медведи..." (А.Криворотов)
ancov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #130
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Grafschaft Wied
Posts: 2,626
Likes (Received): 888

I like the Alex in Berlin and Oriental Pearl in Shanghai!




and from the 3 here in the poll I like the CN Tower the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
ha ha I like that
I guess the Space Needle isnt on here because there is no comarison Half the size but soooo much better Its the original
http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=346618
the original?

The 217m tall Fernsehturm of Stuttgart is older (completed in 1955), and the entrepreneur who built Space Needle got the idea to put a restaurant in it during a visit in Stuttgart


Last edited by Patrick; November 6th, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #131
Skybean
天豆
 
Skybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,938
Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr
__________________
My Photos」 ● Hong Kong 1|2|3 ● Macau 1 ● London 1 ● New York City 1
Photo Threads」 ● Flying Over Hong KongCity Life Series」 ● Hong KongShanghaiSeoulTokyo
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #132
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,654
Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Excuse me, but your comment was not just about towers, you said "Soviet era technology doesn't instill you confidence". Now, "era" means "period of time", so "Soviet era" specimens should be put in parallel with their contemporaries. Of course US technology has to do with this (maybe egyptian too), since at that time a race was on in the tech field as well. While you'd take German or Canadian over Soviet, your fellow Canadian techies think differently, in fact your communications are probably provided by a Soviet (-derived)-launched satellite. Major US and Canadian comm firms prefer Russian rockets:
Um...no! You may choose to ignore the flow of people's arguments if you wish, but my comments were very much about construction and civil engineering, not missiles and space exploration. I really don't see how Soviet missile and space exploration has much bearing in my confidence level regarding going up the Ostankino Tower. Just because a nation has abilities in one area, that does NOT mean they have abilities in all areas simply because of a 'period of time' or era. In 1980, I would have bought a Soviet missile, but I certainly wouldn't have bought a Soviet nuclear reactor. You are comparing apples and oranges. The link you are making is foolish.

You seem to be have 2 nation tunnel vision regarding tech. It's either Soviet or it's American. Other countries are leaders technologically in many areas and don't simply rely on the technology of these 2 countries, as your post insinuates.

If you insist on going off on a tangent and talk about space technologies and science in general, do some research before you make assumptions. Canada was the 3rd nation in space. The first to have a domestic communication satellite in orbit, and the 3rd nation to develop nuclear capabilites...we are just one of the few who chose not to make bombs. If some launch tech comes from Soviet technology, so what? We probably sell them alot of tech. I'd be shocked if we weren't in surplus with Russia in this capacity.

Btw, I am not a US or Canadian communication firm. What tech they choose is their own business. What tech I feel comfortable with is mine. People are capable of reaching their own conclusions and are entitled to that. I'm supposed to go up this tower because some communication firm likes Soviet era launch technology? Please!

I stand by my assertion. Even though I like the Ostankino Tower, I would not feel comfortable going up it. Soviet era technology does not inspire confidence in me. FOLLOW THE flow of paragraphs! That is what paragraphs are for: to convey a thought. When you move to another thought, you start a new paragraph. Even the thread question relates to civil engineering.

If you want to discuss Soviet space tech, I'd suggest going to the Skybar and starting a thread there.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #133
Quall
Registered User
 
Quall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,992
Likes (Received): 462

I had no idea the Space Needle was that old. It looks new! Was it renovated?
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #134
mbuildings
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 5,211
Likes (Received): 69

i can't decide
mbuildings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #135
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...
 
gladisimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF, FC, HK
Posts: 2,525
Likes (Received): 39

CN hands down, even including the Pearl Tower thing.
__________________
I left my <3 in HK

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #136
Rizzato
Blue Collar
 
Rizzato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 899
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post

__________________
B O S T O N
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #137
erbse
LIBERTINED
 
erbse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McLenBurg
Posts: 43,314
Likes (Received): 58040

^ Probably you rather mean ""
__________________
GET FREE!
D W F


🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #138
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Um...no! You may choose to ignore the flow of people's arguments if you wish, but my comments were very much about construction and civil engineering, not missiles and space exploration. I really don't see how Soviet missile and space exploration has much bearing in my confidence level regarding going up the Ostankino Tower. Just because a nation has abilities in one area, that does NOT mean they have abilities in all areas simply because of a 'period of time' or era. In 1980, I would have bought a Soviet missile, but I certainly wouldn't have bought a Soviet nuclear reactor. You are comparing apples and oranges. The link you are making is foolish.

You seem to be have 2 nation tunnel vision regarding tech. It's either Soviet or it's American. Other countries are leaders technologically in many areas and don't simply rely on the technology of these 2 countries, as your post insinuates.

If you insist on going off on a tangent and talk about space technologies and science in general, do some research before you make assumptions. Canada was the 3rd nation in space. The first to have a domestic communication satellite in orbit, and the 3rd nation to develop nuclear capabilites...we are just one of the few who chose not to make bombs. If some launch tech comes from Soviet technology, so what? We probably sell them alot of tech. I'd be shocked if we weren't in surplus with Russia in this capacity.

Btw, I am not a US or Canadian communication firm. What tech they choose is their own business. What tech I feel comfortable with is mine. People are capable of reaching their own conclusions and are entitled to that. I'm supposed to go up this tower because some communication firm likes Soviet era launch technology? Please!

I stand by my assertion. Even though I like the Ostankino Tower, I would not feel comfortable going up it. Soviet era technology does not inspire confidence in me. FOLLOW THE flow of paragraphs! That is what paragraphs are for: to convey a thought. When you move to another thought, you start a new paragraph. Even the thread question relates to civil engineering.

If you want to discuss Soviet space tech, I'd suggest going to the Skybar and starting a thread there.
Really I did not want to discuss it, just made a remark. It's you who expanded 50 lines or so. I'll be brief: Canada was "third in space" with an USAn missile ("Thor Agena") launched from an US base (Vanderberg). It just built the satellite, the device to be launched, essentially a ball with sensors. That's not exactly the same... had Italy had NASA launch my a** in space then Italy would have been "third in space" instead (I say this because of my pesky "2 nation tunnel vision"). Soviet nuclear plants were more reliable than US ones and had less accidents, and if you are hinting to Chernobyl, just read about it, its cause was human error. Today's tech sales to Russia by Canada are off the point, because they're not made in the "Soviet era", whereas today's Soyuz is originally Soviet-made.
Sorry to be a pest, but if you really care for me to stay on topic and avoid tangents, please just write "Soviet era towers [not "technology"] don't instill confidence" possibly adding the magic words "to me" at the end - what you didn't do in the original post.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #139
julesstoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leiden, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,331
Likes (Received): 78

Berlin all the way!

image hosted on flickr
__________________
--
Lapinisme blijft relevant...
julesstoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #140
fozzy
Registered User
 
fozzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: leeds
Posts: 1,209
Likes (Received): 83

I have been up the cn tower,stratosphere tower & the skytower in Auckland. And for design i think the Skytower in Auckland looks best.
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu