daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 41

TAMPA | Zack Street Promenade Of The Arts Project

This has been talked about for years, but the initial phase is funded and will begin construction shortly. They're going to narrow the street and expand the sidewalk. The full design is available here [PDF].

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_a...ReleaseID=8944

Tampa, FL February 13, 2012 - Construction of phase 1 of the Zack Street Promenade of the Arts will begin today, February 13, 2012.

"Zack Street is the critical link between Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park on the river and the Classic Federal Courthouse, soon to become a boutique hotel. The increased pedestrian activity alone will stimulate economic growth and transform Zack Street," said Mayor Bob Buckhorn.

The over $1.2 million investment consists of the construction of a pedestrian-friendly area with an emphasis on the integration of public art into the streetscape. The project was designed by Graham-Booth Landscape Architecture and the contractor will be Trimar Construction, Inc.

The construction is expected to be complete by August of 2012. During construction of the project traffic will be maintained at all times on Zack Street.

For more information on the Zack Street Promenade of the Arts, please visit tampagov.net.

For additional information, please contact David Vaughn, Director of Contract Administration Department, at (813) 274-8568 or by email at David.Vaugh@tampagov.net.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #2
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
This has been talked about for years, but the initial phase is funded and will begin construction shortly. They're going to narrow the street and expand the sidewalk. The full design is available here [PDF].

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_tampa_a...ReleaseID=8944
There is a small hope this type of project could get extended down the street even further in future years. In the Proposal for the winner of the hotel they offered to pay to help pay and maintain any extension in the couple blocks to the new hotel. won't be in this project, but when developers ask for stuff like this it makes it much more likely to happen.
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
jonknee
Downtown resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthurman View Post
There is a small hope this type of project could get extended down the street even further in future years. In the Proposal for the winner of the hotel they offered to pay to help pay and maintain any extension in the couple blocks to the new hotel. won't be in this project, but when developers ask for stuff like this it makes it much more likely to happen.
The full plan has it going all the way to Nebraska. This portion runs from Ashley to Florida, which is definitely the most trafficked portion and a good starting place. Florida/Zack is also where the hotel would start, so we should at least be able to get to Marion (the next block). It would probably be worth emailing the mayor's office about since the development plans for the hotel are just getting started.
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
The full plan has it going all the way to Nebraska. This portion runs from Ashley to Florida, which is definitely the most trafficked portion and a good starting place. Florida/Zack is also where the hotel would start, so we should at least be able to get to Marion (the next block). It would probably be worth emailing the mayor's office about since the development plans for the hotel are just getting started.
Oh the mayor's office is aware of the offer, but this phase is set -- look at the end date (complete by convention). Its more a question of what happens with the next phase, what is in it and how it is extended into Zone B and if it extends north/south onto other blocks. That won't start until 2013 at minimum and would begin after the Downtown/Nebraska master plan so that will likely influence any expansion concepts as well.
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 460

Does this plan do anything to encourage complimentary development along the corridor? Such as encouraging existing building owers to convert ground level space into retail stalls? Or waive/amend downtown's nonsensical parking reqs, so that a few of the numerous small surface lots along this corridor could be redeveloped into smaller infill scaled for the pedestrian? This project seems superficial to me.

Last edited by Jasonhouse; February 16th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Jasonhouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
kmthurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Does this plan do anything to encourage complimentary development along the corridor? Such as encouraging existing building owers to convert ground level space into retail stalls? Or waive/amend downtown's nonsensical parking reqs, so that a few of the numerous small surface lots along this corridor could be redeveloped into smaller infill scaled for the pedestrian? This project seems superficial to me.
This project is just what it reads as. It's good but not good enough. The long term good is the aiding of the sidewalks and public art. But none of the suggestions you name are part of it. But the sidewalks give us one less thing to do on one less street
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
jonknee
Downtown resident

They have already put up fencing and started cutting into the street. Should prove interesting and after a couple of years the trees should be great.

Tampa to dress up downtown Zack Street with public art before RNC begins Aug. 27

DOWNTOWN — First the skyscrapers, then a giant waterfront park, new museums and lots of new restaurants. The renovation of downtown has been a slow but dramatic process since 2005 but one thing has been lacking:

Something eye-catching to tie it all together.

The city recently unveiled its first shot at that goal with the Zack Street Promenade of the Arts project, which will overhaul three downtown blocks that lead to Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park with public art, sculptures, signs, trees and shaded benches.

"Zack Street is the critical link between Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park on the river and the classic federal courthouse soon to become a boutique hotel," Mayor Bob Buckhorn said in a statement. "The increased pedestrian activity alone will stimulate economic growth and transform Zack Street."

The $1.2 million project began last week and is scheduled to be completed by Aug. 4 — in time to show off during the Republican National Convention the week of Aug. 27. It will include sidewalk art, a backlit vertical glass sculpture adorned by vines, pavers featuring medallions with snippets of Tampa history, artistic benches, ornate street lighting, wider portions of sidewalk and many new trees and plants.

"No matter where you're walking on Zack Street, you're always going to find something new and different that will always engage you," said Phil Graham, principal and landscape architect of Graham-Booth Landscape Architecture overseeing the project.

A yet-to-be disclosed local artist's work will be turned into a giant tile mosaic on a concrete column. Bioswale technology and design will allow rainwater to be collected, sifted and put back into the surrounding landscaping. Although the project's completion is months away, downtown workers and residents can expect to see art projects popping up on the street in May, Graham said.

The project stretches along Zack, from Franklin Street to Curtis Hixon Park at Ashley Drive. In future years, the city would like to extend the remodeling to all 10 blocks of Zack between Ashley and Nebraska Avenue.

Since at least 2005, the Zack Street project has been in city discussions, first dubbed an "Avenue of the Arts." The city chose Zack as its first downtown sidewalk remodeling project for several reasons. It's close to the Tampa Museum of Art, as well as the Tampa Firefighters and Glazer Children's museums. The Tampa Theatre, Union Station and the old federal courthouse are also nearby. And the street runs like an arrow straight to the entrance of Curtis Hixon Park.

"There was an obvious tie to Curtis Hixon Park," Graham said, "and the proximity of Zack Street to other cultural destinations."

The project incorporated input from businesses and property owners along Zack — some who have agreed to install art on their private properties to accentuate the street's redesign. Business owners said they expect the project to bring even more people downtown to retail stores, restaurants and Curtis Hixon.

"I think it'll be fantastic for the flow of people to have a scenic walk all the way to the park," said Mike Przybycin, general manager of Pizza Fusion, inside the SkyPoint highrise along Zack. "We love being across the street from the park, and obviously we love foot traffic."
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 99

Zack is a two way street, correct? What are some of the main street business there? I've been on Zack, but can't remember exactly what's there.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Jasonhouse

^There's next to nothing that actually fronts Zack and opens onto it that is of any interest to the public (or even accessible by the public). You've got the couple of places on the southern side of Skypoint, and a bodega and a sandwich shop on the north side of Zack near Fl Ave. And that's literally it, all the way from Curtis Hixon Park to Nebraska Ave. Everything else is vacant land, vacant building or is a private office.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

Would have been nice to take it one more block to tie in with the Marion St. transit way.

Oh well, it is still a great improvement for the area.

Steve

"My badger's gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!"
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM   #11
smiley

Likes (Received): 81

Tampasphere covered it - look a few items down.
http://tampasphere.wordpress.com/201...dup-2-17-2012/
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
jonknee
Downtown resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
Would have been nice to take it one more block to tie in with the Marion St. transit way.

Oh well, it is still a great improvement for the area.

Steve
This is phase 1 of 3 (IIRC). The full plan has it going all the way to Nebraska. That would be a nice tie in with the train station.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM   #13
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^There's next to nothing that actually fronts Zack and opens onto it that is of any interest to the public (or even accessible by the public). You've got the couple of places on the southern side of Skypoint, and a bodega and a sandwich shop on the north side of Zack near Fl Ave. And that's literally it, all the way from Curtis Hixon Park to Nebraska Ave. Everything else is vacant land, vacant building or is a private office.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...ail-space.html
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Jasonhouse

^Whoops my bad.

Nevermind about the retail along Zack near Florida... They were all evicted by the landlord in December, and the parcel will now be turned into... wait for it... a PARKING GARAGE.

Welcome to Tampa!
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #15
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 571

Rather it be a garage than a barren lot.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #16
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 222

Because we don't have enough parking lots and structures..
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #17
Jasonhouse

Bro, people will need a place to park, so that they can enjoy this über-awesome Promenade Of The Arts™!
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #18
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 352

The parking garage isn't approved or really even proposed, Rojo was just chosen to design a parking garage for the site. Which wouldn't be a bad thing since you have the former courthouse hotel across the street. I don't get the fear of having a garage taller than the courthouse though when you have buildings on 3 of the 4 opposite sides taller than the courthouse.

Let's see if the city actually does the Promenade of the Arts in this area right of course. One, don't have a barren wall along Zack for the garage. You're going to have this corridor and then a hotel across the street, the area will definitely need retail over many other areas we complain about. Second, don't even dare to put the entrance and exit on Zack. Just. Common. Sense.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #19
Jasonhouse

Plus, the county courthouse parking garage is taller than the courthouse itself, so this new project would be in keeping with DT Tampa's existing vernacular.
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #20
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

I know it is a wish...but who is to say that they do not provision for retail in the base of the garage? Could happen....but this is Tampa.

Steve

"My badger's gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!"
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote