|February 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM||#1|
Philly sports fan
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Likes (Received): 417
Princess Anne, MD
Princess Anne is a town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and is the seat of Somerset County. The population is around 2,700.
Princess Anne was named for the 24-year old daughter of King George II when it was founded in 1733. The town was founded on the head of the Manokin River.
The William Geddes House, on Church Street. The house was built in 1755.
Businesses on Prince William Street.
The C.H. Hayman House, on Prince William Street. The house was built in the 1890s.
Independence Hall, on Somerset Avenue. The mixed-use building was constructed in 1899 as the Princess Anne Hotel.
Buildings on Somerset Avenue.
A building on Somerset Avenue.
The John Crisfield House, on Washington Street. The house was built in 1852 by John Crisfield, who built the first railroad down Maryland's Eastern Shore. Crisfield's Eastern Shore Railroad eventually reached Somers Cove, which became the seafood capital of the nation from the windfall. As a result, Somers Cove renamed itself "Crisfield" in his honor.
The Colonel George Handy House, on Beechwood Street. The house was built in 1805.
The Laura House, on Beechwood Street. The house was built in 1905.
The old Presbyterian Church Lecture Hall, on Prince William Street. The church structure was built in 1859, and became a library in 1910.
The Warwick Building, on Prince William Street. The structure was built in 1920.
A commercial building on Somerset Avenue.
The Somerset County Courthouse, on Somerset Avenue. The courthouse was built in 1903.
The Washington Hotel, on Somerset Avenue. The old hotel and tavern was built in 1744and was named for George Washington in 1857.
The Election House, on Somerset Avenue. The building was used as a polling place and gathering spot in the late 1800s.
Manokin Presbyterian Church, on Somerset Avenue. The church was built in 1765, with the belltower added in 1888. The parish is one of the first Presbyterian churches organized in the United States, which services held here since 1683.
The Grey Eagle, which functioned as the county jail when it was built in 1857. The structure on Beckford Avenue functioned as a jail until 1976, despite being burned by prisoners in 1902, and now serves as the police headquarters.
A house on Beckford Avenue.
The Fontaine-Fitzgerald House, on Prince William Street. The house was built in 1852.
Teakletonia, or the Teakle Mansion, on Mansion Street. The construction on the house began in 1802, and was finished in 1819. The house was built for Littleton Dennis Teakle, a wealthy Eastern Shore farmer and businessman.
A house on Mansion Street.
|March 11th, 2012, 01:54 AM||#2|
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Likes (Received): 7797
I used to visit there often! Just across the railroad tracks is UMES, a predominately black state college. Very historical little burg!
We are floating in space...